Travel Insurance Tips!!

Hello,

I know that there are a few threads on this topic but I wanted to go right back to basics.

I've had my cruise booked for a while (w a refundable deposit) but have just booked my flights which are non-refundable. I was relying to use my CC insurance, but the transaction wouldn't process & ended up using a different CC so I'm not covered :/

SO, basics, tips, what are the 'important' aspects of travel insurance? I know that each person has their set of priorities, I tried to find mine & got very overwhelmed, very quickly.

What do you compare in each policy? Apart from it's price ;)

What is the company that you swear by? The most popular ones seem to be Covermore & Australia Post..

(Side note, we are both 30, no per-existing conditions, traveling to Puerto Rico then cruising the Caribbean. Have one expensive camera & are planning to hire a car)

I use TID for most policies but if hubby is wanting to do things like paragliding for instance then I use Covermore who seem to insure for such things but which TID don't. TID have wowed me with a recent claims experience so I really prefer them.

I always use Travel Insurance Direct (TID) Ask for a discount code most have a latest one;)

If you cant go because of any of the travel insurance general "Inclusions" then you will be covered for the airfare with all travel insurance.

But not many really know what is really included or not? I read a story where a couple had to return to Australia during an overseas cruise because their adult son was critically ill in hospital and their claim was denied! this was because the sons illness was classed as "Pre Existing" So with some insurance you need to pay extra for pre existing even if the insured travellers have no pre existing conditions themselves.

One thing to remember is on most travel insurance you are not covered once you are home ie if you break your leg when on a cruise and you are treated on the ship its covered but if you need more treatment at home for the same broken leg you have to use your own medical/medicare or pay yourself.

Den

Because you're going to the US you'll need to select the dearest coverage due to the cost of their health care system. There's usually one graded US.

Because you're hiring a car as well, you'll also have to pay for their CDW on top in most cases. That's not under the same policy as here, but it is a form of travel insurance :-)

Unless you have conditions you specifically want to cover, I'm generally price driven. I have a scan through the policy to make sure that it covers the broad categories I am after or need though e.g. luggage, delays, unemployment and the other details of coverage. Just look for any 'gotchas' that might be relevant. But I don't think any insurers are out to develop a bad rep - they just cover what they cover though so it's a matter of checking it suits you.

If Hiring a car in US its best to pre book from here with traveljigsaw and all car insurances you need are included and the hire cost can be more than 2 thirds less than that of getting a car direct with a hire company;)

They source un booked cars and book them for you at heavily discounted prices, I have used them and they are cheap! You can even pick up in one state and drop off in another at no extra cost.

The biggest problem is pick up and drop off has to be at an airport.

Den

Some interesting stats from Yahoo travel and Southern Cross Travel Insurance..

http://nz.totaltravel.yahoo.com/news-opinions/news/a/-/16836750/the-biggest-reason-for-cancelled-flights/

The biggest reason for cancelled flights

April 22, 2013, 1:35 pmYahoo! New Zealand

Illness and injuries are the number one cause of cancelled holidays but most Kiwis still wait until the last minute to book their travel insurance.

Just 27 percent of New Zealand travellers booked insurance at the same time as their overseas trips last year, a Colmar Brunton survey revealed.

Southern Cross Travel Insurance chief executive Craig Morrison says it shouldn’t be an after-thought.

“It’s a no-brainer; it doesn’t cost any more to book insurance well in advance of a trip commencing and it can save a whole heap of grief if something unexpected occurs that means you can’t go on your trip.”

He says it’s wise to buy a policy as soon as you’ve paid any non-refundable deposits for flights or accommodation so that you’re covered if anything hinders your plans.

Southern Cross says illness and injury is the top reason for holiday cancellations, followed by the unexpected illness of a family member.

“I wouldn’t wish it on anyone but it only takes for a traveller to come down with a gastro-bug or for a child to fall off a swing and break their arm to put a stop to a long-planned family holiday,” Morrison says.

World events like Hurricane Sandy or the Chilean ash cloud come in at third.

Weather can impact travel to some of the most popular destinations for Kiwi travellers, like Australia and the Pacific Islands.

“We know weather systems can hit these regions fast and strong causing travel delays and cancellations. We always have a spike in travel insurance purchases after a large weather event.”

As we have been taking 2 cruises a year lately, about 6 months apart, we've gone to purchasing a 12 month policy. It's worth looking into as it can be cheaper if you're doing a couple of trips. CoverMore's annual policy also covers you within Australia if you are more than 200km from home.

As you plan to hire a car, it is possible your "free" insurance wouldn't have covered the excess on car insurance. Our ANZ Visa insurance doesn't cover the excess on a hired car if it is registered outside Australia. We now take a 12 month cover with Travel Insurance Direct and it includes the hire car excess.

As you plan to hire a car, it is possible your "free" insurance wouldn't have covered the excess on car insurance. Our ANZ Visa insurance doesn't cover the excess on a hired car if it is registered outside Australia. We now take a 12 month cover with Travel Insurance Direct and it includes the hire car excess.

The policy document of our ANZ card included travel insurance says:

Overseas travel and medical insurance Master Policy

Section E1 - Rental vehicle insurance excess

When does the cover begin and end?

The cover under this section begins when you leave your

home in Australia to start your trip and ends when you return

to your home in Australia or when the period of insurance

ends, whichever happens first.

What is covered?

We will cover you for the rental vehicle insurance excess, or

the cost of repairing the vehicle, whichever is lower, if:

(a) you rent a vehicle from a rental company; and

(b) it is damaged by accident, storm, fire or theft; and

© you are a nominated driver on the rental vehicle

agreement.

The policy document of our ANZ card included travel insurance says:

Overseas travel and medical insurance Master Policy

Section E1 - Rental vehicle insurance excess

When does the cover begin and end?

The cover under this section begins when you leave your

home in Australia to start your trip and ends when you return

to your home in Australia or when the period of insurance

ends, whichever happens first.

What is covered?

We will cover you for the rental vehicle insurance excess, or

the cost of repairing the vehicle, whichever is lower, if:

(a) you rent a vehicle from a rental company; and

(b) it is damaged by accident, storm, fire or theft; and

© you are a nominated driver on the rental vehicle

agreement.

Thanks for that. It must have changed in the last couple of years because at that time it stipulated Australian-registered hire vehicles only. A few years ago we were hiring a motorhome in South Africa and at the time the vehicle excess wasn't covered by the Visa insurance. We would have had to pay over $700 to the hire company to cover the excess so we took an annual travel insurance policy instead. It covered the vehicle excess.

Thanks for that. It must have changed in the last couple of years because at that time it stipulated Australian-registered hire vehicles only. A few years ago we were hiring a motorhome in South Africa and at the time the vehicle excess wasn't covered by the Visa insurance. We would have had to pay over $700 to the hire company to cover the excess so we took an annual travel insurance policy instead. It covered the vehicle excess.

Very confusing, if you have an overseas travel insurance policy, how can the bank only insure vehicles registered here? Unless it is an amphibian vehicle.:D

Could it have been a domestic policy?:(

Thankyou to all who have helped!

I have gone with TID & was able to get a discount code as suggested - thank you!

My premium increased by $60 as I wanted to cover my camera worth $1500 - otherwise any single item is only covered upto $700. Thought it may be worth noting.

Also looked at TravelJigsaw & their rates are actualyl more than a local company in PR - Charlie's Car Rental - they also allow pick up/ drop off in areas other than the airport which will help us.

Thanks again!!

Travel Insurance Direct Multi Travel Annual Policy only covers you for travel no longer than 38 days private travel, at one time (90 days business travel).

Can anyone recommend an annual multi travel policy which covers periods longer than 38 days for private travel.

Hello,

What do you compare in each policy? Apart from it's price ;)

What is the company that you swear by? The most popular ones seem to be Covermore & Australia Post..

I always use TID and have had a claim with them and found them really good

Very confusing, if you have an overseas travel insurance policy, how can the bank only insure vehicles registered here? Unless it is an amphibian vehicle.:D

Could it have been a domestic policy?:(

Maybe it was the bank's way of saying they weren't covering the excess on any hired car. I would have to dig out the terms and conditions to check the details, but it definitely was an overseas travel insurance policy because we were able to claim for losses in Europe. They wouldn't have paid for that if it was a domestic insurance policy.

Archived