Photo Review: Allure Eastern 4/14/2013 The Good Karma Cruise

Dinner

(Chicken Cordon Bleu)

149870630.jpg

(linguine, offered daily)

149870631.jpg

(arugula and bosc pear salad- every night there is "entree" salad offered. I really appreciated this as a vegetarian and somewhat "lighter" eater. It's a big improvement in the menu that the vegetarian dishes are not only Indian dishes. This particular salad was great except for the 2 huge fried cheese sticks on top. That was just weird...I didn't eat them and just enjoyed the salad)

149870632.jpg

Lucille and her team were very efficient and we found ourselves with an hour before Rita's. The kids went off to look for friends and we decided to pop into the "upper tier" loyalty event at 7:45 in the Amber Theater. Normally, we don't attend these parties; usually the captain talks, they pass around some free drinks and everyone claps for the folks who have the most cruises on that trip.

But on Allure they rolled out some top notch entertainment; the singers came out and did several numbers of pop music...much of it from my era...I got the distinct feeling that there is an attempt to try to please my demographic with these parties to keep the "younger" end of the upper tier coming back.

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. We sat near the back because we had to hustle out to make it to Rita's for 8:30 PM

Ritas Fiesta

149870636.jpg

Alert, Alert...another negative!!

I had high hopes for this. Lots of people described it as loads of fun if you can get past the pretty bad Mexican food. I've enjoyed Latin food lots of places; I don't usually expect much from it this far north, but this was even worse than my local Mexican chain restaurant. I've seen people describe Royal food as inedible, and I think that usually goes too far, but in this case it was apt.

The quesadillas looked like mystery meat with slices of melted cheese, there were some roll your own fajitas that were worrisome too. The only things my gang liked were the virgin strawberry magaritas and the chips and fresh salsa, which was flavorless, but at least fresh, and the churros (because no one can ruin fried dough!)and chocolate sauce for dessert.

149870633.jpg

149870634.jpg

Wish I had taken pictures of the other food, but DH was just done by that point, so he didn't touch it much less photograph it.

The entertainment was lively! There was a live DJ who played Latin sounding top hits and other "line dance" songs. The wait staff encouraged everyone onto the Boardwalk to dance and that was certainly fun!! When we arrived we had a choice of a sombrero hat or a light up necklace. We were given a bracelet with 3 break away tabs; the wait staff would take a tab every time you had a drink.

Unfortunately, the service was also pretty bad. Because the staff was dancing and leading the conga line, they weren't available to refresh drinks, and the food was delivered very slowly, almost as if one person in the kitchen was plating the family style meal for each table one by one. When we were ready to go (and everything was pre paid) they insisted we hang around to sign a "zero" slip, in case we wanted to leave more gratuity. That annoyed us too, since the reason we needed to leave so quickly was because the service was slow.

149870635.jpg

We did dance and have a good time, but I wouldn't do it again, and I could have lived if I hadn't done it the first time. The only thing it had going for it was that everyone managed to keep their clothes on!! That would not be so easy for the next part of the night!!

Quest

At the start of the cruise, we explained to our new best friends, newbie cruiser friends Randy and Amy, that on every cruise, our singular goal is to avoid being in the cruise in review video at the end of the cruise. This means no belly flopping, no 70s party conga lines, and absolutely no being captain of a Quest team And that brings us to...

149870641.jpg

Quest : So lest you think I'm a terrible mother, (and always remember Im not as bad as the Celebrity mom willing to ditch her tot on the pier for a sail away drink!) my 18 yo and her older buddies were planning to go to quest (afterwards her 19 yo Brazilian friend wanted to know if there was a Quest every night!) I gave permission for my 16 yo to go too, because as she puts it, "can it really be worse than what the kids talk about at lunch everyday?" And I supposed it really wasn't, so with the admonition that they were to KEEP THEIR CLOTHES ON, I was ok with them attending.

(Young adults at Quest)

149870638.jpg

(note: one of the guys in their group had a big brother and his fiance who were sitting right behind them, also keeping eyes on the youngsters!)

They sat across the Studio B from DH, and I, Randy and Amy and their gang, so we were on different teams. Of course, we were sitting in the 3rd or 4th row, so when the request went up for team captains, no males volunteered. The cruise staff member was looking right at my DH, I was shaking my head no...not only does this violate the spirit of the of our singular goal to not appear in the cruise in review, but captaining Quest requires you to take your clothes off at some point, and there is an excellent chance that not only will this be shown on the big screen, over and over and over again, while the CD mocks you; but there is an equally excellent chance that you will land in the cruise in review video as well as anyone's youtube channel too. Add to this the near certainty that DH would be removing clothing while seated directly across from his teen daughters, this was not boding well at all.

And of course, we were under the influence of nothing more than several ounces of sun screen and 3 virgin strawberry margaritas, so we couldn't even chock this one up to being drunk- well, it was just a recipe for disaster.

Unfortunately, though my DH suffers from an affliction far worse than a lack a lack of sobriety would be- he suffers from competitiveness. This does not affect him at work, or with other people anywhere else, where he is the most mild mannered guy of his size in the room- but put him into game, and oh boy...look out (see my Paul Gauguin review for how he laid to waste the elderly ladies in tv trivia.) Frankly, its embarrassing, I knew it was coming and there was nothing I could do but hope his underwear was clean and chaste enough to be mistaken for a bathing suit on you tube.

(our team captain)

149870640.jpg

( our cruise director Alan and his new wheels)

149870639.jpg

And this officially concludes the photos of Quest (Randy, you can put my check in the mail!!) !!!

Honestly, it's slightly hysterical to see adults competing Hunger Games style for a key chain! But there we were with our new friends (and their parents) on one side, and our children on the other...hmmm, what could possible go wrong?

Well, I can't tell, because then I'd have to kill you, but you can likely see it on you tube or on the cruise in review if you are willing to part with $39. But suffice to say that DH did yeoman's work as a captain, providing plenty of laughs (oh good, Amy's mother is laughing so hard she is crying, but at least she's not judging us as Godless heathens!) And in the end my competitive husband lost to...wait for it...his daughters' team! (But to my eternal gratitude they did in fact keep all their clothes on, though I cannot guarantee that both they and I were not involved in human pyramid or two!

After all that excitement, everyone hit the hay!! When returned to our cabin, someone had the unmitigated gall to put this on our bed...

(photo of tags)

149870694.jpg

How DARE they!!

Edited by Familygoboston

We had pretty much the same take on Rita's Fiesta. It was fun, but we sorta feel like we don't need to do it again.

We've never done the Quest-ever. This will be our 8th and 9th cruise with RCCL. I am intrigued enough to try it now!:D

Tara

I have also been there and Actually, these behaviors ARE done by their species in the wild. And how could they be forced to do them? They do them or not, as they please. They often choose to ignore the trainer signals, as I have also witnessed at Sea World. They are animals after all and do have a mind of their own at times. I have witnessed these behaviors myself watching dolphin at sea in various places and seen it on many NatGeo specials, etc....as for their being happy, they didn't mention it to me;). But as in the top pic, the dolphins seem to enjoy doing these behaviors even in their off times. I caught one that just decided to take a walk on his tail for his own pleasure, without a trainer even there in his pen.

Of course I'm sure they would be happier in the wild...but they are part of ongoing educational resources and help to save lives...dolphin lives.:) Yeah yeah, man's exploitation of animals yadda yadda yadda etc. etc. :cool:

They perform for food, do the behavior and get rewarded with a treat.

It looks like there were a lot of empty seats at The Quest :confused: On a ship as huge as the Allure, I would have expected a bigger crowd.

That being said, I don't think I'd rush to go to the Quest on the Allure. I've been to the Quest on every RCI cruise I've ever been on, and the past few were just sort of "meh". The worst one I saw was on the Navigator, which is the only one I've been to in Studio B. The ones in a lounge are funnier, I think. Maybe because you're closer to the action, and more teams can be involved.

They perform for food, do the behavior and get rewarded with a treat.Yeah, don't we all?

I have witnessed several dolphin doing the "behaviors" for fun, no trainers, no food on their time off...just sayin:cool:

But this is not really the place to argue about it;)

Edited by BecciBoo

Well, Karma or not, I have really enjoyed the ride and will now put you up there with Radio and Train Man....hope you do another for your next cruise and thanks for the time and effort it takes to do a review. Happy sailing:D

We had pretty much the same take on Rita's Fiesta. It was fun, but we sorta feel like we don't need to do it again.

We've never done the Quest-ever. This will be our 8th and 9th cruise with RCCL. I am intrigued enough to try it now!:D

Tara

You should at least check it out!! In the past it was lot raunchier- and I felt really made fun of LGBT people in a way that made me uncomfortable. I think people are recognizing that men that hold men's hands or carry a purse, are not necessarily something to laugh at. Now it seems it's more about laughing at this particular person behaving out of their element as opposed to whole sale laughing at the fact of someone holding hands or carrying a purse. It seems less mean to me now and that's why we've gotten more involved, before it didn't feel right before. And I wouldn't have encouraged the kids to be there.

Lately, that's been toned down a lot and also, there were a lot more "quests" that asked for people to destructive things or things they knew would cause real nudity (not just some guy turning his pants around)

It looks like there were a lot of empty seats at The Quest :confused: On a ship as huge as the Allure, I would have expected a bigger crowd.

That being said, I don't think I'd rush to go to the Quest on the Allure. I've been to the Quest on every RCI cruise I've ever been on, and the past few were just sort of "meh". The worst one I saw was on the Navigator, which is the only one I've been to in Studio B. The ones in a lounge are funnier, I think. Maybe because you're closer to the action, and more teams can be involved.

There were a lot of empty seats, that's how DH got recruited, there were far more watchers than players. It might have been better if they had doubled the groups, some Quests were impossible for our team with about 30 people! We just didn't have what they wanted!! But as I mentioned the Quests are much more toned down in the last 2 years...really nothing too crazy..it's just fun to play it up in the review!;)

Well, Karma or not, I have really enjoyed the ride and will now put you up there with Radio and Train Man....hope you do another for your next cruise and thanks for the time and effort it takes to do a review. Happy sailing:D

Thanks!! That is high praise indeed! I am not worthy! (plus they do them live which is a huge commitment of vacation time!!)

next up is Jewel Southern Caribbean in 6 months, then a short Brilliance cruise in February next year. The following fall we are booked on an AMA river cruise, which I will review but not on RC boards of course! I bought a NC so one never knows after that, the idea of Quantum just a train ride away is compelling, but I'd be more likely to return to Allure or Oasis till the fuss/prices/die down a bit. With DH's work in FLL, and my folks living on the west coast of FL, it's easy for us to combine business and pleasure on a Fl cruise!

I just wanted to let you know I'm thoroughly enjoying your review!! Unfortunately i don't have any plans to go on allure as of now so I don't know why I torture myself like this, but eh here I am! Can't wait for more!

It's not torture, it's arm chair travel..it counts!

Edited by Familygoboston

Went to The Quest on Oasis last year and there were a lot of empty seats as well. I think it would have been more fun had there been more people. I almost didn't make it myself; I was tired from a day with a lot of activity. Didn't know if I could stay energetic by the time the show started.

Edited by Lloyd555

Quest? quest? Hmmmmmm. Sorry Kathleen, not ringing a bell. Was I even there that night?

At least my therapist has advised me to think of it as not being there...

:p:D

Went to The Quest on Oasis last year and there were a lot of empty seats as well. I think it would have been more fun had there been more people. I almost didn't make it myself; I was tired from a day with a lot of activity. Didn't know if I could stay energetic by the time the show started.

When DH and I take a port intensive like our upcoming Jewel 5 ports in 7 days!:eek: we often skip the organized evening activities on board, we just spend so much time exploring all day (often hiking, snorkeling, biking or kayaking) so I hear you!

This cruise, we really had light days planned in port, and so many sea days, that we wanted to give the girls lots of time to enjoy the ship and our family time. I'm glad they got to socialize with other kids too, they are both super studious, and often forgo some fun at home to get home work and projects done (I'm probably the only mom with teens who says on Friday nights- " why don't you go our for a little while! :rolleyes:) So I was happy to see them letting loose and not having so much on their plates! They are still both " socializing" virtually with the kids they met in board since we got back, so I'm not the only one;)

Darn you, Familygoboston! :) First KansCocoa reels me into booking a Mediterranean cruise, and now I'm looking at an Oasis class ship for next year. And I've already done both in the last few years, so that says something about how compelling your reviews are!!

Seriously, love the review. I like the detail and your "tell it as it is" approach. You have a lovely family, and your daughters are so lucky to have such wonderful role models - who would never run and leave them behind at a port! (And how refreshing that they look their age, unlike some teens who could easily pass for mid 20s!) It'a clear why you have such good karma!

Darn you, Familygoboston! :) First KansCocoa reels me into booking a Mediterranean cruise, and now I'm looking at an Oasis class ship for next year. And I've already done both in the last few years, so that says something about how compelling your reviews are!!

Seriously, love the review. I like the detail and your "tell it as it is" approach. You have a lovely family, and your daughters are so lucky to have such wonderful role models - who would never run and leave them behind at a port! (And how refreshing that they look their age, unlike some teens who could easily pass for mid 20s!) It'a clear why you have such good karma!

Thank you, I wish I could take credit, but I think they turned out well despite my parenting! And you are right, if I wanted to lose them in port, I would make sure we were not in sight at all:p As for the mum in that picture, I'm sure she wouldn't have left him behind, but I was yelling..."pick him up!" "carry him!" But don't think she could hear me!

it's funny about their age thing because DD 2 is quite tall, almost 6 feet even though she is the one who is 16; everywhere we went the petite 18 1/2 yo got asked- how old are you? She was carded at Quest and in the Solarium! LOL! I tell her she will appreciate it when she's old like her dad and I and doesn't look so old!

I know reading people's reviews helps me to plan my next trips, so I love reading them and I love writing them! I'm reading Antarctica reviews now...it's on the list but a long way away, but I think it never hurts to start researching early! Hope to see you on board sometime!

Edited by Familygoboston

Thanks!! That is high praise indeed! I am not worthy!

quote]

Just as good a read and I don't care whether its real time or after time:p all the same to me...the bunch of you are right up there on the heels of my all time fave reviewer SailorJack!:eek: who is the Erma Bombeck of the waves! So just accept the praise and keep em coming. I was especially interested because Allure is our first Oasis class.

I gave up trying to top all of ya'll not to mention just do as good a review as you guys...now I just read.;)

Thanks!! That is high praise indeed! I am not worthy!

quote]

Just as good a read and I don't care whether its real time or after time:p all the same to me...the bunch of you are right up there on the heels of my all time fave reviewer SailorJack!:eek: who is the Erma Bombeck of the waves! So just accept the praise and keep em coming. I was especially interested because Allure is our first Oasis class.

I gave up trying to top all of ya'll not to mention just do as good a review as you guys...now I just read.;)

Sailor Jack- he is a legend! They invented the acronym LOL, to describe reactions to Sailor Jacks reviews! But don't be shy about adding your own, I for one, love to read as many as possible!

Well, at most ports, there are porters who work for the port, but also RCL reps that stand right by the rolling large carts where the luggage is loaded into and eventually on board. In the past we've just put our bags directly into the carts...it's literally about 10 steps away. Just keep saying "no thank you" till you see someone with a Royal name tag on. Clearly, paying them or not doesn't make a differnce, so i simply won't use them anymore!

and it's permitted? they don't stop you?

if i can do that, i'll certainly try!! :)

(and at the end of the cruise, we'll take our luggage off ourselves!! - we'll need to get to the car rental place ASAP so we can get back to orlando and the mouse :eek: )

So onto Allure (and finally we are bungee jumping over a gorge!)

And it did...they were quivering like tots when they saw the ship. I immediately started orienting them like some kind of crazed flight attendant. Double fingers gesturing..."You have the Boardwalk to the aft and above us is Central Park (with my arms overhead pointing out the emergency exit to Central Park via the Rising Tide Bar), please note that your nearest emergency late night cafe may be behind you and count the number of steps to the nearest Cupcake Cupboard".

Dinner

We also had a lot of hormones at dinner...(maybe this why the assistant was avoiding us like the plague!) DD1's worries about meeting "other people" on board were blown into concerns about worries about "not being able to make friends" at college. DD2's worries about not being able to go to the teen center because her apparently dangerous or infectious 18 yo sister would orphan her with her sister all week with "nothing to do". Tears were shed, patience was advocated by parents, hugs were dispensed all around.

I am laughing out loud with your descriptions :) And what family has not experienced the dinner meltdown that you so appropriately described!!! Another excellent review- thanks so much for doing this!

and it's permitted? they don't stop you?

if i can do that, i'll certainly try!! :)

(and at the end of the cruise, we'll take our luggage off ourselves!! - we'll need to get to the car rental place ASAP so we can get back to orlando and the mouse :eek: )

Of course! In both directions..just keep saying no thank you till you see someone with an RCL name tag. On the way out you are own your own, ( the onl;y RCL reps are there to help yo find tours or ground transport) but its also less risky to use the porter, you point out your bags, they put them on the cart and you watch them put them in your cab. SOme claim they gt you through customs faster because they wheel the carts to an "entrance" that cuts the line of individuals. But on my last day I have a time line for how long it took us to get to rental cars, no porters...let's just say it was fast! No worries!

I am laughing out loud with your descriptions :) And what family has not experienced the dinner meltdown that you so appropriately described!!! Another excellent review- thanks so much for doing this!

Thanks, if only I were making it up for humor's sake:rolleyes:

Also, I think in Social Media a lot of folks only post the positive...I like to be honest, without blowing anyone's cover of course! On every trip we have someone who eventually hits the wall...it's normal and things will get better!! Think about all the tears on Amazing Race!! And the most you can win on a cruise is a Crown Loft Suite!!

Day 6 April 19 Sea Day: A Day in Which We Stand up King Julian for breakfast and hang out in the Solarium.

Compasses

149870845.jpg

149870846.jpg

149870860.jpg

149870826.jpg

149870833.jpg

With the kids sleeping in till almost 11 on most sea days, we realized our previously booked "chocolate" breakfast with the DreamWorks characters was not going to happen at 8 AM. I'm sure it would have been fun when they were 6 and 8, but at 16 and 18, it was silly for me to think I could book that and we would actually make it!! (in other words, no one was in the mood to "move it, move it" at 8 AM!)

On our own, DH and I hit our favorite spot for breakfast, the Solarium cafe, and then we hung out in the Solarium until the Belly Flop Contest at 1 PM. We had plans to meet our girls there to check in. We decided to take in the "flop" from the public deck on 11 (starboard side) aft.

Edited by Familygoboston

With the kids sleeping in till almost 11 on most sea days, we realized our previously booked "chocolate" breakfast with the DreamWorks characters was not going to happen at 8 AM. I'm sure it would have been fun when they were 6 and 8, but at 16 and 18, it was silly for me to think I could book that and we would actually make it!! (in other words, no one was in the mood to "move it, move it" at 8 AM!)

I dont' know about that. My wife and I got up to see them on Freedom of the Seas last year. We really enjoyed it. In fact, we are going to book it when we do the Allure later this year.

Can I ask a favor please??? On a couple of the days when you posted the Cruise Compass, you did not include the morning and afternoon activities. I am trying to put a bit of a schedule together for our upcoming cruise and it would help me out. Thanks in advance if you can post them.

Really loving your review. It is getting me all excited to be on the Allure. I love your sense of humor and how you tell it like it is.

I just realized looking through that I forgot to include the daily activities section of the Compasses on each day...yikes!! Anyway, I've posted them all here since there is no way to edit a post. Sorry 'bout that!

(The day is the little number in the circle on the top of each page)

Day 1

149870849.jpg

149870850.jpg

Day2

149870851.jpg

149870852.jpg

Day3

149870853.jpg

149870854.jpg

I dont' know about that. My wife and I got up to see them on Freedom of the Seas last year. We really enjoyed it. In fact, we are going to book it when we do the Allure later this year.

Can I ask a favor please??? On a couple of the days when you posted the Cruise Compass, you did not include the morning and afternoon activities. I am trying to put a bit of a schedule together for our upcoming cruise and it would help me out. Thanks in advance if you can post them.

Really loving your review. It is getting me all excited to be on the Allure. I love your sense of humor and how you tell it like it is.

It's funny that you are the very first person to notice this, and you noticed it exactly at the same time I noticed it!! I posted Day 6 and realized I had forgot a section and while I was posting those days while you were posting your request (karma!:D)

Thanks for your kind comments!