Hotels at Rome Airport

EvelynAlexa

We arrive in the early morning (Sat.) before a cruise leaving Tues. Nov. 5.

Can you recommend a hotel close to the FCO airport and close to the train station that goes into Rome?

Location and quality of the place is our #1 priority. Non-smoking is important if possible.

Eve

I'm staying at the airport Hilton next week. It is right at the terminal and you can catch the train there into Rome. The Hilton does offer a shuttle service into Rome. According to their website, the shuttle runs every 2 hours from 8am until 10pm.

From what I've found with research, it seems to be the best of the airport hotels. I'm staying there because I have an early morning flight out of there. Otherwise, I'd be staying in Rome itself.

Like some others have said, if you have a couple of days, spend it at a hotel in Rome. Unless you have a car service taking you to the ship, you have to take the train into Rome to catch the train to Citiavecchia anyway.

Good point by Eurocruiser.

I think you would have less hassle and expense to stay in the city, rather than drapsing in and out of town from Saturday to Tuesday.

And when you are eady to go to Civitavecchia, that is very easy by direct train from Roma Termini station. Much easier (and cheaper) than from FCO.

But if you have your heart set on staying at or near the airport (perhaps you are a plane spotter) then look at hrs.com or booking.com.

In the "search" are put FCO, rather than Rome and you get ooodles of option at the airport. From close to further away.

:-)

Why stay out at the airport? You can find accommodations in the city for the same amount of money, and you won't use up the time and expense of going back and forth.

My husband can't sleep on the airplane. I have a bad back. We were concerned that it would be too much for us to take luggage into the city at 7 in the morning after 12+ hours of transit.

We wish to find a smoke-free hotel, another concern.

We visited Rome 3x previously. Now concerned about resting for the Ruby Princess port intensive 24 day cruise (Rome-Venice-Istanbul-Rome-Barcelona) beginning 11/5.

We'll check the Airport Hilton for because it's close and has a shuttle to the city.

Another idea is going directly to the port and stay for three nights. More research.

Eve

I understand your concerns better now. When checking with the Hilton do ask about whether they'll come and get you at the terminal, because it's a bit of a walk through the parking garages.

If you do decide to stay in town (or go directly to Civitavecchia), a car service might be your best alternative as the driver can meet you just as you exit the baggage claim/customs area and help with the luggage.

OP,

I believe all hotels in Italy are now smoke-free. There may be smoking on patios or balconies, but the interior of the hotels are supposed to be smoke-free, or at least that is what I was told when looking for a hotel that allowed smoking.

Have a great trip!

OP,

I believe all hotels in Italy are now smoke-free. There may be smoking on patios or balconies, but the interior of the hotels are supposed to be smoke-free, or at least that is what I was told when looking for a hotel that allowed smoking.

Have a great trip!

I wonder about this. Must check. Yesterday, when looking at a hotel they said the "couldn't guarantee a no smoking room".

I did a google search and found a few that were totally smoke free.

Then found we needed to ask about elevator, private bathoom, and pets.

There's much to research, even cancellation policies.

Thank you for your help.

Eve

I wonder about this. Must check. Yesterday, when looking at a hotel they said the "couldn't guarantee a no smoking room".

I did a google search and found a few that were totally smoke free.

Then found we needed to ask about elevator, private bathoom, and pets.

There's much to research, even cancellation policies.

Thank you for your help.

Eve

FWIW, we didn't have any issues with non-smoking rooms in Italy - but then again, we were staying on points, so stuck to US-based chains (Holiday Inn and Marriott).

As I type this I am in the Hotel Cancelli Rossi very, very near the FCO airport. It's so close it must be at the end of the runway because EVERY single plane flies directly over the hotel. The Marriot Courtyard is just up the street and it's not in the direct flight line. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's pretty nice. I was just there this morning looking for a self-service laundry and I noticed flight crews from all over the world were coming and going.

The Courtyard has a shuttle to FCO, but I'm not sure where the train station is, but I was actually searching this board on how to get to Civitevecchia by train this Sunday. I know I have to take the local train to some station that starts with a T and then a different train from there.

If I can help you somehow. let me know. If you can help me somehow, let me know.

As I type this I am in the Hotel Cancelli Rossi very, very near the FCO airport. It's so close it must be at the end of the runway because EVERY single plane flies directly over the hotel. The Marriot Courtyard is just up the street and it's not in the direct flight line. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's pretty nice. I was just there this morning looking for a self-service laundry and I noticed flight crews from all over the world were coming and going.

The Courtyard has a shuttle to FCO, but I'm not sure where the train station is, but I was actually searching this board on how to get to Civitevecchia by train this Sunday. I know I have to take the local train to some station that starts with a T and then a different train from there.

If I can help you somehow. let me know. If you can help me somehow, let me know.

You want to transfer at Trastevere. You can also transfer at Ostiense, but Trastevere is smaller so a slightly easier connection.

The train station at FCO is opposite Terminal 3 - there's a bridge over to it from the terminal.

Thanks for the info on the Courtyard - being a Marriott gal, I just might end up there at some point on a free night.

I was actually searching this board on how to get to Civitevecchia by train this Sunday. I know I have to take the local train to some station that starts with a T and then a different train from there.

The train station is inside the parking structure at the airport. There are other stations along the line, however. The is the FR1 line and the station you change at is Roma Trastevere.

If you're near the Lido-Roma train line you could take that to Roma Ostiense and take the train to Civitavecchia from there.

Edited to add:

Ignore that last comment, I just looked at where your hotel is. Just get over to the airport and go from there.

We stayed at the Hilton Hotel at Rome Airport, it was perfect, only thing is look carefully for the rather small signs that mark the way from the terminal... service was great, and a wonderful transport option to the Port for our cruise, we still receive greetings from them at Christmas,[Transport operator] nothing but happy memories remain of that time...Enjoy...:)

You want to transfer at Trastevere. You can also transfer at Ostiense, but Trastevere is smaller so a slightly easier connection.

The train station at FCO is opposite Terminal 3 - there's a bridge over to it from the terminal.

Thanks for the info on the Courtyard - being a Marriott gal, I just might end up there at some point on a free night.

Grazie!, si!

With all the reading I'm doing about the trains it appears to me it's a waste to stay near FCO unless you have a very early morning flight. The nonstop Leonardo Express to FCO runs twice per hour (:22 and :52) from Termini and takes 31 minutes. If your party is 3 or more, though, you would probably be better off with a taxi since the Leonardo is not that much of a bargain at 14 Euros (provided there has not been a price increase in the last 18 months). The first departure of the day is at 5:52 AM arriving at 6:23 AM.

In March, 1975 I attended a rugby match at Twickenham. It was quite the experience for me at the tender age of 20.

The train station is inside the parking structure at the airport. There are other stations along the line, however. The is the FR1 line and the station you change at is Roma Trastevere.

If you're near the Lido-Roma train line you could take that to Roma Ostiense and take the train to Civitavecchia from there.

Edited to add:

Ignore that last comment, I just looked at where your hotel is. Just get over to the airport and go from there.

Grazie!, si!

I've decided to catch the hotel shuttle to the airport this afternoon, do a dry run-through, go to the Trenitalia counter and buy all the tickets for my itinerary.

5 May - FCO to Civitavecchia

12 May - Civitavecchia to Termini

13 May - Termini to FCO

A fantastic, but expensive hotel.

I'm staying there right now! But, it's all free (thanks Hhonors). It is nice to come back up the hill, where it is cooler, after a full day of wandering around Rome.

We also stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport last November, mainly because we had to pick up our friends the next morning before heading over to Civitavecchia. It worked out great for us and our friends were able to crash and rest a little before taking the ride to the ship.

http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/11/rome-airport-hilton.html

We also stayed at the Hilton Rome Airport last November, mainly because we had to pick up our friends the next morning before heading over to Civitavecchia. It worked out great for us and our friends were able to crash and rest a little before taking the ride to the ship.

http://chiumemories.blogspot.com/2012/11/rome-airport-hilton.html

Is the Hilton Rome Airport totally non-smoking or with some non-smoking rooms?

On=line, I read non-smoking depends on the enforcement rather than the rule.

Eve

One thing: I noticed one if the airport assistance people helping a guest in a wheelchair at the hotel. It looked like there was an asessible van waiting to take them to the terminal. If you have mobility issues, contact your airline to arrange transport. They did this for me at CDG when I had to layover overnight and had broken my leg 4 days earlier.

My husband can't sleep on the airplane. I have a bad back. We were concerned that it would be too much for us to take luggage into the city at 7 in the morning after 12+ hours of transit.

We wish to find a smoke-free hotel, another concern.

We visited Rome 3x previously. Now concerned about resting for the Ruby Princess port intensive 24 day cruise (Rome-Venice-Istanbul-Rome-Barcelona) beginning 11/5.

We'll check the Airport Hilton for because it's close and has a shuttle to the city.

Another idea is going directly to the port and stay for three nights. More research.

Eve

The Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport is very close to the airport, has a free shuttle back and forth to the airport and is somewhat cheaper than the Hilton Rome Airport Hotel.

Archived