Azamara Quest Review 4/21-4/28 Spain

dfishner

Good morning all we just came home from being in Spain for two weeks with one of those weeks on the Quest and wanted to highlight some of the highpoints of our cruise..

We flew into Madrid from Ft Lauderdale and spend 3 very nice days touring the city and would really enjoy spending more time in Madrid and the surronding areas. We did the Musuems and the usual tourist things and enjoyed all the diverse culinary Madrid offers..

We took the train down from Madrid to Seville on the Renfe. We met up with two of our cruise critic pals on the train and we shared a cab to the port.. It was a beautiful day in Seville also there was a fair going on so as soon as we check in we checked out Seville and having two days there made it perfect..

The renovation of the Quest gave it an updated appearance and it showed throughout the ship. The spirits program was a nice touch but did not find it added any value to us but it sure did for most on the ship(we did not see anyone over indulge) but everyone on the ship was having a great time.

The ship was half British and half American very nice mix and we met so many great people on board..

We decided to just do the dining room this trip having done the Prime C and Aqualina our last cruise we found the dining room food to be on par with both restaurants. The food was still very good but the service was hit and miss this time felt to me the staff was going though the motions and were not as sharp as the Journey. Service was on the slow side and limited interaction with the staff. Other then that we enjoyed all our meals.

Gilbratar- our first stop and we did a private tour of the island it proved to be our favorite of all our stops. We were the first up the mountain that day so we had extra time in all our stops loved St Michaels cave also the apes who we spend a half hour with. It was so much fun.

Gilbratar was also the Azamara evening..I have to say I was one of those people who did not look forward to it but I can tell you now go. It was one of the best evening we had. Have to give Azamara its due just the logistics of how they did that evening was amazing and flawless and the evening itself was magic from the concert in St Michaels cave to the fireworks on the ship afterwards. We are still talking about it.

Our next stop was Motil we did another private tour and went to Alhambra loads of walking beautiful grounds not one of my favorite places it was very crowded and felt like we were herded around. We also had the white hot party that evening..We missed it on our first cruise but did not miss it here. In one word great. The food and entertainment were non stop and everyone seemed to be having a great time..It was a perfect evening.

Next day was a sea day and it was terrible the weather took a turn for the worse the ship was really rocking and many people were not handling the tossing and rocking of the ship..and it continue on for the whole day and thoughout the evening..There is really not much you can do and give the crew credit on how they tried to make the passengers more comfortable..

Next day was Valencia did not do much but walk around weather was still iffy but we were glad to be on level ground.

Barcelona was our last stop with two days. Weather again was not on our side but we had a great time exploring. We also spend a couple of days after the cruise so for us we enjoyed it.

Final thoughts. This was a great cruise and probaly our last Azamara cruise for us. What we paid for this cruise I would consider it a ture value we booked this over a year ago before the price increase and all the extra items that were added on. If we had to paid the going rate I would not of considered it a value,with the spirits being included and the Azamara evening. There were many newbies on this cruise and everyone seem to enjoy the cruise. We did enjoy our cruise and if prices do come down a little I would consider Azamara again there is so much that they do right including the ports overnight.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Again we felt this was a great cruise

Gilbratar was also the Azamara evening..I have to say I was one of those people who did not look forward to it but I can tell you now go. It was one of the best evening we had. Have to give Azamara its due just the logistics of how they did that evening was amazing and flawless and the evening itself was magic from the concert in St Michaels cave to the fireworks on the ship afterwards. We are still talking about it.

I wasn't particularly looking forward to the Azamazing Evening in Gibraltar either on the Easter cruise - their first Azamazing event. However it was truly fantastic and I think everyone really enjoyed it. The fireworks afterwards were the icing on the cake. So glad you had a good cruise, but sorry you also had changeable weather like us.

Thanks for the review. We were Azamara newbies and really took to the Quest.

Thanks for the review Dale.

I am glad you gave Azamara the chance to show what they could do on the Azamazing Evenings, considering you were not keen on the idea at first.

It sounds like it was a very memorable evening.

Ours is a medieval night at Chateau Napoule next week. I will report back! :)

Final thoughts. This was a great cruise and probaly our last Azamara cruise for us. What we paid for this cruise I would consider it a ture value we booked this over a year ago before the price increase and all the extra items that were added on. If we had to paid the going rate I would not of considered it a value,with the spirits being included and the Azamara evening.

Nice review of your cruise Dale, also interesting what you say about the cost of Azamara cruises. When the enhancements were announced we too were concerned at the increased cost, in the event however, the two cruises we have recently booked on Azamara for next year through the current promotion are in fact much cheaper than the two cruises we booked for this year before the price increases were applied!

It just goes to show, if you rely on the brochure prices, yes, they look expensive, in reality though there are good deals/promotions around and if you are prepared to go with them you can get a really good value holiday on Azamara. We always go for a V3 grade cabin which does of course keep a lid on costs as well and take advantage of the 'Open Passage' program whilst on board for further savings .:)

Dale,

Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to send you an email regarding your trip, but I thought I would wait a few days after your return before doing so.

I glad you guys enjoyed the trip and am sorry I missed it. I am surprised about your enjoying Gibraltar so much and finding the Alhambra a tad disappointing--I would have thought the reverse was true.

But as always I appreciate and enjoyed your comments.

Dale,

Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to send you an email regarding your trip, but I thought I would wait a few days after your return before doing so.

I glad you guys enjoyed the trip and am sorry I missed it. I am surprised about your enjoying Gibraltar so much and finding the Alhambra a tad disappointing--I would have thought the reverse was true.

But as always I appreciate and enjoyed your comments.

Richard, was going to write you and intend to do so over the weekend.

I thought the Gibraltar tour was more intimate with only 9 of us which gave us more personal attention with the tour guide and being first group on the mountain also gave us more time to explore. With Alhambra the site was very crowded the day we were there and felt we were somewhat rushed through I was also expected more of the buildings themselves the insides were a little on the drab side with little color which leaves you to imagine what the palace must of looked like in its hay day. I did appreciate the grounds and the buildings themselves think I was expecting more. I enjoyed Alcazar more not as grand as Alhambra but that is just my opinion.

Good morning all we just came home from being in Spain for two weeks with one of those weeks on the Quest and wanted to highlight some of the highpoints of our cruise..

We flew into Madrid from Ft Lauderdale and spend 3 very nice days touring the city and would really enjoy spending more time in Madrid and the surronding areas. We did the Musuems and the usual tourist things and enjoyed all the diverse culinary Madrid offers..

We took the train down from Madrid to Seville on the Renfe. We met up with two of our cruise critic pals on the train and we shared a cab to the port.. It was a beautiful day in Seville also there was a fair going on so as soon as we check in we checked out Seville and having two days there made it perfect..

The renovation of the Quest gave it an updated appearance and it showed throughout the ship. The spirits program was a nice touch but did not find it added any value to us but it sure did for most on the ship(we did not see anyone over indulge) but everyone on the ship was having a great time.

The ship was half British and half American very nice mix and we met so many great people on board..

We decided to just do the dining room this trip having done the Prime C and Aqualina our last cruise we found the dining room food to be on par with both restaurants. The food was still very good but the service was hit and miss this time felt to me the staff was going though the motions and were not as sharp as the Journey. Service was on the slow side and limited interaction with the staff. Other then that we enjoyed all our meals.

Gilbratar- our first stop and we did a private tour of the island it proved to be our favorite of all our stops. We were the first up the mountain that day so we had extra time in all our stops loved St Michaels cave also the apes who we spend a half hour with. It was so much fun.

Our next stop was Motil we did another private tour and went to Alhambra loads of walking beautiful grounds not one of my favorite places it was very crowded and felt like we were herded around. We also had the white hot party that evening..We missed it on our first cruise but did not miss it here. In one word great. The food and entertainment were non stop and everyone seemed to be having a great time..It was a perfect evening.

Next day was a sea day and it was terrible the weather took a turn for the worse the ship was really rocking and many people were not handling the tossing and rocking of the ship..and it continue on for the whole day and thoughout the evening..There is really not much you can do and give the crew credit on how they tried to make the passengers more comfortable..

Next day was Valencia did not do much but walk around weather was still iffy but we were glad to be on level ground.

Barcelona was our last stop with two days. Weather again was not on our side but we had a great time exploring. We also spend a couple of days after the cruise so for us we enjoyed it.

Final thoughts. This was a great cruise and probaly our last Azamara cruise for us. What we paid for this cruise I would consider it a ture value we booked this over a year ago before the price increase and all the extra items that were added on. If we had to paid the going rate I would not of considered it a value,with the spirits being included and the Azamara evening. There were many newbies on this cruise and everyone seem to enjoy the cruise. We did enjoy our cruise and if prices do come down a little I would consider Azamara again there is so much that they do right including the ports overnight.

Any questions feel free to ask.

I wanted to add a few more tidbits that I failed to mention earlier

Nespresso in Mosiac was present and there were menus books on all of the tables promoted it but nothing about the included coffee drinks so if you are new to Azamara you might think that is all that is available it is not. We spend quite a bit of time in Mosiac and saw only the staff ordering the Nespresso everyone else ordered the made to order coffee drinks.

There were shuttle busses in two of the ports which were great both for drop off and pick up and left you in central locations and never a long wait time for going or coming.

There was a Flamenco show with a dancers and singer troup from Barcelona the last night which we really well done and the theatre was packed.

Captain was great and very personable and always around the ship talking with everyone a very nice touch.

If I had to pick one things that stands out in my mind about our cruise it would have to be the Azamara evening in St Michaels cave, pictures do this event no justice it had to be the best event I ever had been to from begining to end. I am not sure how the other events will work but the logistics Azamara put together with the Gilbratar tourism office to make this happen is mind boggling and to pull it off without a hitch from getting from the ship to the cave, the concert, the appetizers and wine during the intermission to the start up of the show again and getting you back onto the ship in a timely manner truly amazing. Again I was not very interested in this when I heard about what was being offered I am glad I changed my mind.

The included spirits and drinks offered are on the last page of the drink book and found drinks that we wanted but not included reasonable in price so no big deal. I do feel the book will change with more feedback from passengers.

Nespresso in Mosiac was present and there were menus books on all of the tables promoted it but nothing about the included coffee drinks so if you are new to Azamara you might think that is all that is available it is not. We spend quite a bit of time in Mosiac and saw only the staff ordering the Nespresso everyone else ordered the made to order coffee drinks.

There were shuttle busses in two of the ports which were great both for drop off and pick up and left you in central locations and never a long wait time for going or coming.

There was a Flamenco show with a dancers and singer troup from Barcelona the last night which we really well done and the theatre was packed.

Captain was great and very personable and always around the ship talking with everyone a very nice touch.

If I had to pick one things that stands out in my mind about our cruise it would have to be the Azamara evening in St Michaels cave, pictures do this event no justice it had to be the best event I ever had been to from begining to end. I am not sure how the other events will work but the logistics Azamara put together with the Gilbratar tourism office to make this happen is mind boggling and to pull it off without a hitch from getting from the ship to the cave, the concert, the appetizers and wine during the intermission to the start up of the show again and getting you back onto the ship in a timely manner truly amazing. Again I was not very interested in this when I heard about what was being offered I am glad I changed my mind.

The included spirits and drinks offered are on the last page of the drink book and found drinks that we wanted but not included reasonable in price so no big deal. I do feel the book will change with more feedback from passengers.

Yes the harpist was still there and very good did have a chance to speak with her and let her know the support she had on CC. I do believe the decision has been made to discontiue her services it came up on CC meeting.

Hi Dale,

Thank you for your very informative review. I'm pleased that you had a nice time on Quest.

Hello Dale -

Thank you very much for your time and effort in sharing your detailed review about your April 21st Azamara Quest experience.

I was very pleased with your outstanding review of our first AzAmazing Evening Event in Gibraltar at St. Michael's Cave and that you are still talking about it. I will be passing on your very positive comments about the program's "flawless" operational logistics and the firework display to our AzAmazing Evening planner and his team.

I am very disappointed to read that although you thoroughly enjoyed your Azamara cruise experience, it will probably be your last. We'll miss your patronage. However, I do understand when you originally decided to cruise with Azamara you already had made your personal tradeoffs with price, amenities, quality and service and concluded that Azamara was the best "value" for your vacation experience.

When we decided to add spirits and the AzAmazing Evening event to create a more compelling value proposition along with a tangible demonstration of our "destination immersion" deliverable, we also increased our tariffs. While certainly a part of the increase, the inclusive amenities are only a small portion of these rate increases. Setting our pricing is based on the inflation of our cost structure and to be financially viable to sustain our brand.

We realized that some of our current guests would question whether these enhancements have made our onboard experience an even more of or less of an extraordinary value. The new "cost/benefit" proposition is the core issue. I respect your decision to go elsewhere and truly hope that you'll change your mind.

I express our appreciation for your past financial support of Azamara along with your valuable feedback on Cruise Critic. Hopefully, we'll see your name again on the Azamara forum asking for advice about a future Azamara vacation voyage. Then we'll be able to provide you with a warm "Welcome Home" and "Welcome Aboard!"

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

When we decided to add spirits and the AzAmazing Evening event to create a more compelling value proposition along with a tangible demonstration of our "destination immersion" deliverable, we also increased our tariffs. While certainly a part of the increase, the inclusive amenities are only a small portion of these rate increases. Setting our pricing is based on the inflation of our cost structure and to be financially viable to sustain our brand.

The reaction of many of us to last November's over-hyped announcement would have been much more understanding and subdued if something to the effect of the bolded statement above had been included to explain the huge fare increases. Instead, it just came across as "we're going upmarket to compete for that class of traveler (you know, the ones with more money to spend), and will be raising our fares accordingly. If you can no longer afford us, there are other cruise lines to choose from."

Perhaps if Azamara had handled the announcement in the more straightforward, less-hyped manner of the bolded statement above, past passengers would have reacted differently and there would be no need for the two-month-long desperation promotion we are now seeing.

The reaction of many of us to last November's over-hyped announcement would have been much more understanding and subdued if something to the effect of the bolded statement above had been included to explain the huge fare increases. Instead, it just came across as "we're going upmarket to compete for that class of traveler (you know, the ones with more money to spend), and will be raising our fares accordingly. If you can no longer afford us, there are other cruise lines to choose from."

Perhaps if Azamara had handled the announcement in the more straightforward, less-hyped manner of the bolded statement above, past passengers would have reacted differently and there would be no need for the two-month-long desperation promotion we are now seeing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...with a contribution that must reflect the feelings of many loyal Azamara supporters!

We were on the cruise just before yours. Always amazed how different the weather can be on any given cruise. Watched the weather reports before we left and expected cooler and rainier weather and packed accordingly. Nope! Not a drop of rain and weather got up into the 80's F. Brought no shorts, but plenty of sweaters. :eek:

Gibraltar AzAmazing Evening sounded great. Ours was the evening at Cordineau Cava Cellars with free flowing sparkling wine, tapas, and flamenco dancers. It was Amazing.

We too found this crew to be outstanding.

Hello Dale -

Thank you very much for your time and effort in sharing your detailed review about your April 21st Azamara Quest experience.

I was very pleased with your outstanding review of our first AzAmazing Evening Event in Gibraltar at St. Michael's Cave and that you are still talking about it. I will be passing on your very positive comments about the program's "flawless" operational logistics and the firework display to our AzAmazing Evening planner and his team.

I am very disappointed to read that although you thoroughly enjoyed your Azamara cruise experience, it will probably be your last. We'll miss your patronage. However, I do understand when you originally decided to cruise with Azamara you already had made your personal tradeoffs with price, amenities, quality and service and concluded that Azamara was the best "value" for your vacation experience.

We realized that some of our current guests would question whether these enhancements have made our onboard experience an even more of or less of an extraordinary value. The new "cost/benefit" proposition is the core issue. I respect your decision to go elsewhere and truly hope that you'll change your mind.

I express our appreciation for your past financial support of Azamara along with your valuable feedback on Cruise Critic. Hopefully, we'll see your name again on the Azamara forum asking for advice about a future Azamara vacation voyage. Then we'll be able to provide you with a warm "Welcome Home" and "Welcome Aboard!"

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill, thanks so much your comments I will trully miss being on here but now I am looking forward at our next adventures. My parting comments, I learned never to say never

. Our Spain cruise was one of kind no other cruise line offers that.. So maybe if you offer an Italian cruise featuring Rome, Florence and Venice with overnights I would consider it :-) Take Care and all my best to you and to those on this board it was what sold me on Azamara in the first place.

Happy Cruising,

Archived