What to wear when under MDR dress standards?

fiedav

I am still in the process of sorting this out (should I or shouldn't I book a cruise?) and wrote to Celebrity special needs.

I am in a wheelchair, cannot stand or walk. I wear the same thing year-round - shorts, sandals, and a T-shirt. It's the easiest way I can get dressed.

Celebrity says that I wouldn't be able to get into the MDR dressed like this. If I recall correctly there have been many people who've said that people in the MDR often slip below Business Casual. Can't remember whether it was Celebrity or some other lines.

Also, some people have said to have a word with the Maitre D.

I asked about the room service menu but they didn't respond to that. Can you get MDR dishes or even Speciality Restaurant food?

Incidentally, when I was able to walk and working, this used to be my summer clothing at the company I worked for.

So, does anyone have any experience about this? Have you seen people in the MDR not keeping up with the dress code?

You are quite right, there are frequently diners in the MDR who don't meet the evening dress code, and you might not be challenged. On the other hand, on a given ship on a given cruise, you might not be allowed in.

While your preference is to wear t-shirts and shorts, as they are the easiest, would it be possible for you to make a small compromise by wearing a golf shirt? I would think it to be no more difficult to don than a t-shirt and would meet the dress code for your upper body. Perhaps that would suffice in your situation.

I wish you the best in working through the various additional challenges that life aboard will pose and hope that you have a wonderful cruise.

Definitely you may order room service from the MDR regardless of your cabin category.

The specialty restaurants are only ever smart casual, but shorts are always prohibited in the MDR and restaurants even on casual night. You may of course wear them in the buffet or at the Aqua Spa Cafe or Mast Grill.

I have honestly never seen anyone in shorts in the MDR even on casual nights and I suspect you would certainly be denied entry on formal night.

I hope you find a solution that works for you and that you have a wonderful cruise.

As others noted, you may order from the MDR menu for room service.

If eating in the MDR is important to you, you may want to look into some "acceptable" options. If you are female a pretty wrap tucked over your shorts could act as a very nice skirt. If you are male, there are pants designed specifically for wheelchair users (velcro seams, etc.) -- a friend of mine who lives alone and has no use of his legs at all, said he first balked at ordering clothes designed for the "disabled" (he hates that word) -- but has found that they are so much more comfortable and convenient, they cost about the same, and they really make sense.

Hope you find a vacation that will work for you.

You do occasionally read posts here about someone in the MDR wearing shorts or a t-shirt, but the reason this does get reported here is that it is so unusual since the dress code for these items at dinner is probably the most enforced on board and the least violated.

The only time I've ever seen shorts in the MDR is on embarkation day early dining as there are often a few people who don't get their luggage in time for dinner - it happened to me once.

There are limited options on Celebrity where you can dine in shorts and t-shirts. These include room service, where you can get the items from the MDR dinner menu but not from the specialty restaurants, and the buffet area. The buffet area does not have the same menu as the MDR and has a limited selection at night.

Quite frankly, if wearing t-shirts and shorts every evening is an important part of your lifestyle then it could be that Celebrity isn't the best match for you. There are other cruise lines which have dining areas which allow shorts and t-shirts (NCL comes to mind) and I think there are others which have more extensive options at the buffet in the evenings. You might look into those as an alternative.

We recently returned from a 14 night Caribbean cruise on the Eclipse and saw several people wearing shorts in both the MDR and Murano. Murano was a formal night and the man was wearing cargo shorts, sandals and a black T Shirt. They came in after my husband and myself and were treated just as cordial as we were. One night we sat at the Martini Bar until wee hours and people watched just for the fun of it and saw several people going into the MDR in longer type walking shorts and deck shoes or sneakers. We had select seating and on onee night in the MDR we had a table for 2 by the window and 4 women were seated at the table next to us. Two of these women had Mullet hairstyles, tattoos and numerous piercings and were certainly not dressed according to code, in fact one was wearing very baggy masculine cargo shorts and sandals. We found this quite amusing, it certainly didn't upset our dinner and they certainly seemed to be having a good time. At the martini bar it seemed most people either went back to their cabin and dressed down on formal night or didn't dress up at all. There were many people in suits and tuxes on formal nights but there were still quite a few in slacks and polo shirts and jeans and polo shirts in both the MDR and the theater. I think maybe it is just a large number of people who are on this board that like to try to enforce the dress code, or maybe not, but in the 14 nights we did not see anyone turned away from the MDR. My husband and I followed the code to the letter, partially due to the opinions on this board and partially because we like to dress up "sometimes" but now after experiencing the cruise I think there may be some misinformation being given. I personally would not be very impressed to see someone, in a wheel chair or not, being turned away. It certainly didn't take anything away from our enjoyment seeing how other people were dressed.

Quite frankly, if wearing t-shirts and shorts every evening is an important part of your lifestyle then it could be that Celebrity isn't the best match for you. There are other cruise lines which have dining areas which allow shorts and t-shirts (NCL comes to mind) and I think there are others which have more extensive options at the buffet in the evenings. You might look into those as an alternative.
I don't wear shorts and a t-shirt every evening. The aide comes and puts me to bed at six - I eat at five. I'd like to wear other things, but with no use of my legs, shorts and a t-shirt are pretty much it. If I dressed in pants and shirt it would take I don't know how long to get me dressed. If I was female I'd dress in something like a sari, but I'm not.

Also, I'm 69 and think that Carnival-style cruising is the last thing I'd want. In fact, the main draw of Celebrity is the up-market attention and the good food. Absolutely the opposite of a "Fun Cruise."

The only idea I have is a very lightweight blanket over my legs from the waist down and a polo shirt. I could bring an large megaphone-style hearing tin trumpet and complain loudly about how bad things are in the world today. :)

Incidentally, the last time I had anyone comment of my dress was when I could walk and was wearing jeans. It was in New Orleans (I think it was called Antoines) and the jeans somehow took on the aspect of a pair of ordinary pants once the leader of our group brought out the Company's American Express card.

I don't want to appear a slob, and my clothes are new several times a year. But this seems to me to be like telling someone they can't go here or there on the ship because the are using crutches.

I think the only place where people are so uptight about "dress code" in the MDR is the Cruise Critic boards.

I have sailed in Oasis of Seas, Enchanment and Summit and I saw some people dressed above business casual and others in bermudas and polo shirts. I also saw people wearing jeans and nice tshirts. No one was declined entrance as far as I know. During my last cruise, a couple was dressed like they just came from the pool: tank top, shorts and tennis shoes (man) and long shorts and tshirt (woman).

My husband wears dressy shorts/bermudas with polo shirts and loafers in the MDR. I wear anything from summer dresses, skirts to city bermudas. We both look pretty good and stylish without been uncomfortable. We are on vacation after all.

I think that you should wear what you are comfortable with but just know that you might have to deal with "snobish" attitude / looks from other passengers.

I don't wear shorts and a t-shirt every evening. The aide comes and puts me to bed at six - I eat at five. I'd like to wear other things, but with no use of my legs, shorts and a t-shirt are pretty much it. If I dressed in pants and shirt it would take I don't know how long to get me dressed. If I was female I'd dress in something like a sari, but I'm not.

Also, I'm 69 and think that Carnival-style cruising is the last thing I'd want. In fact, the main draw of Celebrity is the up-market attention and the good food. Absolutely the opposite of a "Fun Cruise."

The only idea I have is a very lightweight blanket over my legs from the waist down and a polo shirt. I could bring an large megaphone-style hearing tin trumpet and complain loudly about how bad things are in the world today. :)

Incidentally, the last time I had anyone comment of my dress was when I could walk and was wearing jeans. It was in New Orleans (I think it was called Antoines) and the jeans somehow took on the aspect of a pair of ordinary pants once the leader of our group brought out the Company's American Express card.

I don't want to appear a slob, and my clothes are new several times a year. But this seems to me to be like telling someone they can't go here or there on the ship because the are using crutches.

I think that last part you are quoting is sort of uncalled for. I think you will be OK. Maybe back in the day, this was enforced but not today (at least that has been my experience).

It's wonderful that you've retained your sense of humour! As for the blanket, I think that's a great idea.

I think that you'll find the ship's staff a great deal more accommodating than some of the posters here.

I don't wear shorts and a t-shirt every evening. The aide comes and puts me to bed at six - I eat at five.

This might be a problem, anyway. The MDR doesn't open for dinner until I believe 5:30 at the earliest and more often 6pm.

The specialty restaurants aren't open for dinner that early, either, and I believe MDR room service can only be ordered during MDR hours.

I don't wear shorts and a t-shirt every evening. The aide comes and puts me to bed at six - I eat at five.

I assume you will plan to eat later on the ship! If you want to eat at 5:00pm the only options would be buffet, room service or Bistro on 5. The MDR doesn't open until 5:30 or 6:00.

A good friend of mine is a paraplegic and has found the pants designed with Velcro to be a great and easy way to dress. He also has found "dress shirts" with fake buttons that Velcro down the front. He thinks they are actually far easier to get in and out of than tees. He also has jackets with stretchy material in the arm holes which make them easy to get on and off. Of course, he actually enjoys dressing up and always ties his own bow ties!

Please forgive me, but I'm going to be very frank and upfront here, but with no intention to be nasty. I am disabled, use a scooter full time, and I've never had a problem dressing up for Celebrity. Sorry, but as a fellow disabled person, being in that situation isn't really an excuse to only wear shorts, with all due respect. I've worked for several years with many people who are totally involved with their disability, being paraplegic or quadriplegic who manage to dress very nicely in long pants, collared shirts, and for the women, even dresses. Heck, I have a very dear friend who has Osteogenesis Imperfecta, aka. brittle bone disease, he's 4 ft tall is confined to a wheelchair, cannot walk/stand or anything like that, and he wears very smart clothes, slacks, dress shirts, jacket and ties and he's totally on his own. What's the difference between pulling on a pair of shorts or a pair of slacks? You're doing the same physical process of the movements required for either slacks or shorts, so slacks as opposed to shorts are no different. Oh, and I've also worked in special education where dressing skills for those with physical disabilities are something I worked with for many years, and again putting on slacks vs shorts are no different, skill-wise. And if you have a home healthcare aide, there's no difference for them in their dressing you in slacks vs shorts, except for another 16 or so inches of fabric. And if size is a consideration, again people of all sizes who are confined to wheelchairs and are very physically involved still manage to dress in things other than shorts and t shirts.

I don't wear shorts and a t-shirt every evening. The aide comes and puts me to bed at six - I eat at five....

Eating at 5: Looking at the daily programs from our last cruise you options that early are extremely limited:

MDR opened at 5:30 for anytime dining. Dinners there typically take well over an hour.

Room service - The anytime room service menu is limited and stays the same all cruise.
to both pages from the interactive TV screen and pages from the hard copy menu in the room. While dinner from the MDR is available I don't think it is available until after the dining room is open and might not be available until some time after they first open.

Specialty restaurants - All opened at 6PM, dinner typically takes well over 90 minutes in these restaurants

Buffet - Afternoon tea ends at 5PM. Sushi begins at 5:30. Casual dining opens at 6PM. Pizza, pasta and salad bar are open all afternoon and evening as is the ice cream bar.

Mast grill - Burgers and Hot dogs closes at 6PM.

Bistro on 4: Crepes, paninis and salads - $5 cover charge and open all day and all evening - same menu every day except for soup.

...the main draw of Celebrity is the up-market attention and the good food. Absolutely the opposite of a "Fun Cruise....

Part and parcel of Celebrity's "up-market" experience and the "good food" is their dress code. You can't have it both ways.

...this seems to me to be like telling someone they can't go here or there on the ship because the are using crutches.

Have you ever listened to the NCL commercials about their freestyle atmosphere. It compares their "no rules" style to the "rules" on other cruise lines. Celebrity does have a dress code. It is much more relaxed than it was a few years ago but it does exist. No one is telling you you can't "go here or there on the ship because the are using crutches". They are telling you that you might not be able to eat at certain places because of non-compliance with a dress code. And it obviously isn't a surprise to you or else you wouldn't be asking about it in the first place.

There are lots of observations above from people that have seen exceptions. I haven't seen many but perhaps that is because I was having too good of a time to look for them. While it might be that you wouldn't have issues I wouldn't count on it. I'm sure the last thing you want to do is to actually get on the cruise expecting your t-shirts and shorts to be OK at dinner only to find that you are excluded from the nicer dining areas because because they aren't allowing such exceptions on your particular cruise. To me it just wouldn't be worth the risk.

My recommendation of finding a cruise line more attuned to your lifestyle stands. I think you should either do that or plan on some changes such as wearing pants and a polo shirt and dining later than 5PM unless you're willing to be every limited in your dinner options.

Im guessing (bad to do) that you will be having someone traveling with you? I know its not that more difficult to put on pants than shorts! As a RN, I have done it enough,lol

I hear ya though----I wear shorts 99.999% of the time (when not at work) I hate wearing pants, but so my wife does not throttle me, I shall wear pants on the ship when eating or theatre--back to shorts for Excursions,lol

This is kind of like asking about enforcement of any other rule, like "Can I get away with sneaking a bottle of booze onto the ship". We've sneaked booze on and we've had our booze confiscated. You just never know what will happen until it is over. So give it a shot but be prepared to eat pizza for dinner or bring a pair of pants and a decent shirt just in case.

Part and parcel of Celebrity's "up-market" experience and the "good food" is their dress code. You can't have it both ways.

Thanks for the info, but I do want it "both ways." I don't see the dichotomy here.

How does my not conforming to the dress code demean other diners? My behavior is the same as other diners.

When I eat on land I don't see dress codes in restaurants. I've eaten in local places known for their good food, and I've paid well for the privilege. They never asked me to dress differently.

I know there are places that have a dress code like hotel dining. But you don't get much of a choice on-board - there's only one MDR. If I wanted pizza and burgers all the time I wouldn't mind not being allowed admission.

You say NCL has no dress code. How do you think Celebrity diners would feel of this policy was established on the line? Would there be a mass exodus of diners at the sight of a t-shirt? And why do you think that NCL feels that no dress code is a feature to be advertised?

No one is telling you you can't "go here or there on the ship because they are using crutches".
I was using that as an example of a rule that has the same basis. What is the attitude in the MDR when there's a screaming child, or kids running around the tables, or even (God forfend) someone with Down's Syndrome?
I haven't seen many (inappropriately dressed diners) but perhaps that is because I was having too good of a time to look for them.
So go on having a good time. I don't drink, and I have some manners, so you probably wouldn't notice me.

My recommendation of finding a cruise line more attuned to your lifestyle stands.
We all have different lifestyle standards. Some things we put above others. My major one is that if a person is doing something that doesn't affect me or others, they should be free to do it.

Incidentally, I don't expect to eat at five. Some nights I have gone up to eight or nine. The six PM bedtime is because the aide company cannot send people any later.

My best advice to the OP is to simply ignore all advice on the board regarding the dress code in the MDR.

You are obviously an independent, intelligent human being. Do what you want.

Of course, feel free to completely ignore this advice also.;)

There are actually some very good upscale cruiselines out there that allow casual dress at all times, including Oceana. The reality is that Celebrity has dress code rules, and regardless of any opinions on this board you may be asked to conform to them while on the ship. I would not want you or anyone else to be disappointed by being turned away, so I'm just trying to state the facts.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

The OP's original questions were:

1) re room service "Can you get MDR dishes or even Speciality Restaurant food?

That has been answered. Yes you can order MDR dishes during MDR serving time period via Room Service.

and

2) "does anyone have any experience about this? Have you seen people in the MDR not keeping up with the dress code?"

That has also been answered. While some folks have seen more casual clothing allowed in the MDR, others have reported the experience that pax are sometimes denied entry to the MDR for attire that does not meet the dress code.

There have been several posts with some advice as to how the OP could comply to the line's dress code without too much inconvenience. And the OP now seems to feel necessary to question the validity of the line's dress code.

We all have different lifestyle standards. Some things we put above others. My major one is that if a person is doing something that doesn't affect me or others, they should be free to do it.

There are some things that ARE important to me as to which cruiseline I select -- smoking policy is one that springs to mind. I do not cruise X (or any other line) because of their dress code, but when I do select a line, I do adhere to the lines guidelines. Would I "like" to be able to carry on an iron, or a case of water, or a bottle of vodka, or whatever? Maybe -- but if the cruise I sign up for has a rule prohibiting one of those things, I would not expect to be able to do it. I need to make the decision as to what vacation I take based upon what I want and upon what the company I am buying it from allows/doesn't allow.

It appears that none of the posters have been in your situation. Correct, this should not affect them whatsoever as nobody has been designated fashion police.

Frankly, if I were in this situation I would contact special need department and get their take on this. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a light weight blanket. Geez, who intends to look under it? Frankly those people with other special needs are given dispensation for other reasons.

Good luck and please get in touch with Celebrity rather than people on the net.

I think the only place where people are so uptight about "dress code" in the MDR is the Cruise Critic boards.

I have sailed in Oasis of Seas, Enchanment and Summit and I saw some people dressed above business casual and others in bermudas and polo shirts. I also saw people wearing jeans and nice tshirts. No one was declined entrance as far as I know. During my last cruise, a couple was dressed like they just came from the pool: tank top, shorts and tennis shoes (man) and long shorts and tshirt (woman).

My husband wears dressy shorts/bermudas with polo shirts and loafers in the MDR. I wear anything from summer dresses, skirts to city bermudas. We both look pretty good and stylish without been uncomfortable. We are on vacation after all.

I think that you should wear what you are comfortable with but just know that you might have to deal with "snobish" attitude / looks from other passengers.

People are just trying to answer a question which has been asked. If you wear shorts to the mdr on Celebrity you will likely be denied entry, they are not Royal..

Archived