What to wear when under MDR dress standards?

fiedav

I concur, well said.

I work with children and young adults who have such issues and can't is not the same don't want to.

Thanks both of you and that is EXACTLY what I tell my boys there is a bug difference between you can't do it and you do not want to do it.

One of my twins - they are in their freshman year in HS has extreme difficulties in math and was close to failing Algebra I as he said I cannot do this and I will never pass the SOL (Standard of Learning - required to pass this to graduate from HS with a regular diploma = although I have learned there are other options). I told my son of I did not think you could do it or pass I would have insisted they put you in another math class. We switched his class a few times and he clicked with a teacher who got how he learned math and I hired a tutor. He now has an A in that class - it was not that he could not do it but he did not want to as he was afraid he would no pass.

As such I am fully cognizant of the distinction between the two can't and not able to do. If you do not want to do something that is your choice but if that choice goes against rules then you either deal with the consequences (which clearly could be not being able to eat in the MDR) or find alternatives that suit your needs (buffet - room service)

Sharon

How do I "spoil a cruise experience for others?" (Does one do a clothing audit on the other passengers?)

ABSOLUTELY!!

There are many on this board and on board who make it their mission to judge others.

Their time it far better spent finding fault with others rather than allowing themselves to enjoy this forum and their cruise.

The day I worry about what somebody decides to put on their back or their feet is the day I hope to be swept overboard by a rogue wave.

I'd further dare to speculate that most don't really care about what somebody else is wearing. Rather, that somebody dares to break a ship's "rule". OH MY!!!:eek::eek::eek:

IT"S A FRIGGIN' VACATION!!!

I really don't understand what being "on vacation" has to do with complying with and respecting the guidelines set by the cruise line. Does that mean that I don't have to comply with the dress codes of some of the places we will be visiting, e.g., covered knees and shoulders to visit many of Europe's churches? I don't think so. On our port days I'm more comfortable in a little skirt and sleeveless top, but knowing that it is unacceptable to enter some of these places, I'll plan according for those days and dress appropriately or I won't enter places that have a dress code. Just because it's my vacation doesn't mean that I can ignore the rules.

I really don't understand what being "on vacation" has to do with complying with and respecting the guidelines set by the cruise line. Does that mean that I don't have to comply with the dress codes of some of the places we will be visiting, e.g., covered knees and shoulders to visit many of Europe's churches? I don't think so. On our port days I'm more comfortable in a little skirt and sleeveless top, but knowing that it is unacceptable to enter some of these places, I'll plan according for those days and dress appropriately or I won't enter places that have a dress code. Just because it's my vacation doesn't mean that I can ignore the rules.

No, one need not comply. But, then, one may not be provided entry.

I'm not about to haul formalwear on vacation. So, on my last cruise on the Connie we had a pretty poor meal in Ocean Liners where formal dress is never required. (like ALL specialty restaurants)

My point is that even if I dressed formally on a formal night, I would sooner ingest HCN before I allowed what somebody else decided to throw on their own back or around their own feet to bother me in any way while ON VACATION.

here, here !!

I really don't understand what being "on vacation" has to do with complying with and respecting the guidelines set by the cruise line. Does that mean that I don't have to comply with the dress codes of some of the places we will be visiting, e.g., covered knees and shoulders to visit many of Europe's churches?

So far as I know, churches, European or otherwise, aren't all inclusive vacation venues.

How would/could one passenger's informal but otherwise tasteful clothing affect your formal MDR meal? Or, is the problem really with regard to how said informally yet tastefully clothed passenger was able to gain entry to the MDR?

No jacket on formal night!?!? My French onion soup will never taste the same! My soufflé will never rise!

This is not to be borne! Off with his head!!!

So far as I know, churches, European or otherwise, aren't all inclusive vacation venues.

How would/could one passenger's informal but otherwise tasteful clothing effect your formal MDR meal? Or, is the problem really with regard to how said informally yet tastefully clothed passenger was able to gain entry to the MDR?

No jacket on formal night!?!? My French onion soup will never taste the same! My soufflé will never rise!

This is not to be borne! Off with his head!!!

You missed the point. Again, the venue makes no difference - it's the respect for the rules and customs of the venue.

ABSOLUTELY!!

There are many on this board and on board who make it their mission to judge others.

Their time it far better spent finding fault with others rather than allowing themselves to enjoy this forum and their cruise.

The day I worry about what somebody decides to put on their back or their feet is the day I hope to be swept overboard by a rogue wave.

I'd further dare to speculate that most don't really care about what somebody else is wearing. Rather, that somebody dares to break a ship's "rule". OH MY!!!:eek::eek::eek:

IT"S A FRIGGIN' VACATION!!!

Thank you, Popdisplay.

So it seems.

I feel that encountering a shouting drunk in the corridors is far worse than someone being not "correctly dressed." But would I complain? Unless the drunk deliberately set out to annoy me or my colleagues, I probably wouldn't bother.

Something to do with "live and let live."

Your insistence of T-shirt, instead of Polo(collared T-shirt) really suggests that you have an agenda that isn't really driven by your special needs.

Also the 3rd reference to some casually-dressed person, buying some company with which you are affiliated suggests a sense of pride in challenging dress codes. Trust me OP, you are talking to a demographic that if chock-full of aging hippies - yet I throw on my skirt, blouse and pumps and act in a way that doesn't embarrass the heck out of my 21-year-old daughter.

Also, I almost never talk of Marxism in the MDR - unless it comes up first!

I feel that encountering a shouting drunk in the corridors is far worse than someone being not "correctly dressed." But would I complain? Unless the drunk deliberately set out to annoy me or my colleagues, I probably wouldn't bother.

These are the choices?

However, I'm not advocating that people break laws and take their chances in the courts. I'm saying that rules should be challenged. People can challenge laws in public without breaking them, and indeed that has been the history of the U.S.A. since the Revolution.

Sorry but revolting involves breaking the rules, but I guess that's your point. If you don't like the rules that exist, you revolt and change the rules....

I think that a few laws were broken depending on your point of view....;)

If someone already pointed this out on this thread I apologize as I didn't see it reading through. About ADA...it stands for American Diabilities Act. Once the ship leaves American waters they can do pretty much what they want to. Various countries around the world have different standards as to accommodations. Some more stringent and others non-existent or no accommodations offered. In some unenlightened places, those with physical challenges are hidden from view, not right in my opinion but the facts.

While it may be difficult to dress a little more sharply a couple of nights during the week, it seems to me (and this is MHO) that traveling to and from a cruise port, navigating around the ship and just leading a mobile lifestyle would require quite a bit of effort. Putting on at least collared shirt and covering ones legs seems somewhat simple.

That said, if someone wants to try to get into the MDR inappropriately (as per the cruiseline guidelines) they run the risk of being turned away. Using a disability defense I think would be an insult to all those who are equality challenged and made the effort. That's just MHO.

Quite honestly, I don't care what anyones wears, it won't ruin my cruise.

You missed the point. Again, the venue makes no difference - it's the respect for the rules and customs of the venue.

I disagree. I accepted the policy and elected to dine elsewhere as per my prior post. If I elected to dress the part and had my table in the MDR on formal night, I wouldn't care if the adjacent table was populated with passengers wearing swim trunks, tank tops and flip flops. How does it affect me? My food will be tasty (hopefully) and my table mates will be just as engaging. In fact, one could argue, that have adjacent passengers who have the stones to dress to interestingly could yield the fodder for a memorable evening.

I disagree. I accepted the policy and elected to dine elsewhere as per my prior post. If I elected to dress the part and had my table in the MDR on formal night, I wouldn't care if the adjacent table was populated with passengers wearing swim trunks, tank tops and flip flops. How does it affect me? My food will be tasty (hopefully) and my table mates will be just as engaging. In fact, one could argue, that have adjacent passengers who have the stones to dress to interestingly could yield the fodder for a memorable evening.

well some people believe otherwise.

I am one of those horrid people who believes that a little formality enhances one's dining experience. I LOVE to dress up for formal nights( and encourage Mr Spook to do the same.. trust me when I say he'd much rather NOT Bring his Dress uniform with all its bling and crap or his kilt with all it's associated accoutrements on vacation. ) But he acquiesces to my demands cuz he respects me and wants to please me. maybe some day I'll give him a pass and let him just pack a sport coat or his Thai custom made suit. but if we have to share my table with a couple who chooses to disrespect the other passengers and the atmosphere, I will judge them harshly for it. I figure if you do not respect your fellow passengers enough to dress for the occasion, then what else are you 'guilty' of? and I sure as heck don't wanna purchase a picture where DH and I are dressed nicely and our dinner companions look like slobs.

we as a society judge people, right or wrong, by their appearances and how they present themselves to the rest of society.

the OP keeps trying to justify looking like a slob due to his 'handicap' and yet others in similar situations have very non confrontationally pointed out only minor accommodations: a polo shirt vice a tee shirt. covering your legs instead of insisting on a pair of elastic waist shorts or velcro slacks. all of which are very small changes that present a minimal of challenge to the OP. and yet he insists that he should be able to say "screw you' to the suggested attire just because he doesn't want to put forth a minimum of effort.

as someone with limited upper arm mobility( can't lift my arms higher than shoulder level) is a tee shirt REALLY easier to slip on than a button down? I can't wear most 'strappy sandals' and other fashion forward footwear due to deformities in my feet, and yet somehow I have managed to find a pair of shoes that are lovely for formal nights.. just a hint of a heel and yet still allows me to stand upright and walk.

My biggest issue is his continued playing of the handicapped card.. "wahh, I am disabled so I should be able to do whatever the heck I want! wahhh!"

this sort of selfish attitude only makes it harder for the rest of us to get fair treatment. and hell I can pass for 'normal' most days.. for now. in fact I HATE the fact that I do need a WC for certain things and must make adjustments to my life because of it. I shudder to think what my mental status will be when its a 24/7/365 necessity......

I figure if you do not respect your fellow passengers enough to dress for the occasion, then what else are you 'guilty' of?

we as a society judge people, right or wrong, by their appearances.

Really???

When you book a cruise on Celebrity, you sign a contract which includes these terms:

8. PASSENGER’S OBLIGATION TO COMPLY WITH AGREEMENT, APPLICABLE LAWS, AND RULES OF CARRIER:

a. Compliance Obligation Generally. Passenger shall at all times comply with the provisions of this Agreement, all applicable laws,
and rules, policies and regulations of the Carrier
, the Vessel and the Transport (as the same may be changed from time to time with or without notice).

h. Carrier may refuse to transport any Passenger, and may remove any Passenger from the
Vessel or Transport at any time, for any of the following reasons: … (iv)
for failure to comply with
 Carrier’s rules and procedures

Based on this thread, you know there is a dress code. So if you go ahead and sail on Celebrity with the intention of violating it, you are taking the risk of being put off the ship at the next port.

Do you want to "be on vacation," or are you spoiling for a fight? Judging by the combative tenor of your replies, it isn't really clear...

I am still in the process of sorting this out (should I or shouldn't I book a cruise?) and wrote to Celebrity special needs.

I am in a wheelchair, cannot stand or walk. I wear the same thing year-round - shorts, sandals, and a T-shirt. It's the easiest way I can get dressed.

... snip

What I'm about to say is going to seem disrespectful... but try to think practical.

I think you should get yourself a pair of male stripper pants and cut the bum out of them.

Think about it... Velcro the legs together... no-one will see there's no bum in them. You would have them on over your shorts anyway.

When you leave the MDR just rip them off! :eek:

Problem solved.

Since so many suggestions have been provided and rejected by the OP, I think his true purpose in starting this thread was not to get information on dress code requirements but to bash the dress code while hiding behind his disability.

If the OP had posted that due to his disability, his doctor says he should only wear shorts and garments without buttons, then I would fully support him being allowed into the MDR dressed in shorts and tee shirts. However, he has repeatedly said that it is easier for him to wear shorts and tee shirts not that he MUST wear shorts and tee shirts. Therefore, in my opinion, his request to dine in shorts and tee shirts has no more merit than an able-bodied person who doesn't feel like dressing up.

The OP has also touted his history of deliberately wearing clothes other than those requested by the host, such as wearing jeans to restaurants with a jacket/tie dress code. I think he is proud of flaunting convention and wants us to support him. If he shows up to dinner in shorts and a tee shirt, I hope Celebrity won't seat him, but I have the feeling that, despite what he has posted, he will use his disability as an excuse.

So, does anyone have any experience about this? Have you seen people in the MDR not keeping up with the dress code?

[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

As you are no doubt aware, disabled or otherwise, respect is a two-way street; thus, if you show you are willing to make an effort to respect the MDR dress code (collared shirt rather than a tee and a light blanket covering your bare legs, as some have suggested), I'm sure your inability to conform completely to what is expected for evening dress will not only be understood but also met with eager accommodation on the part of the cruise line. If, however, you are not willing to make even the slightest effort, I doubt you should expect much in return. JMHO.

If someone already pointed this out on this thread I apologize as I didn't see it reading through. About ADA...it stands for American Diabilities Act. Once the ship leaves American waters they can do pretty much what they want to. Various countries around the world have different standards as to accommodations. Some more stringent and others non-existent or no accommodations offered. In some unenlightened places, those with physical challenges are hidden from view, not right in my opinion but the facts.

Quite honestly, I don't care what anyones wears, it won't ruin my cruise.

Exactly BUT the ADA (I have 3 disabled kids so well aware of the laws) only requires "REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS" It does not require that a private company break their own rules. Again if someone is unable to put on a shirt other than a t-shirt (maybe due to burns) then that could be seen as a reasonable accommodation. But simply I do not want to or it is easier or more comfortable do not require someone to provide accommodations. I REFUSE to allow my boys to use thier disabilities to skirt the rules or get things and I think that an adult should realize this to. There are times when truly accommodations are needed - for example my boys cannot stand in lines for a long period of time or in the heat. We know this and get accommodations for this. Clay needs to be hydrated at all times - he has a g-tube we take liquids on the plane - again accommodations as they are reasonable and necessary.

Again personally I do not care what someone wears I do not judge - all I know is I try to teach my kids right from wrong and to follow rules. Personally I think it sets a bad example for others when you try to get something just because you can. For years I refused to get a handicapped parking tag for my car and just parked wherever and made boys walk or I carried them, etc. Finally after the neuro pushed I got one but if I do not have a child with me who needs it - I dont use it. Could I sure as it has my name on it but again not right.

As for the psoter I agree about the chruches and other venues. 2 years ago when we went to Rome and the Vatican in August I mae my boys wear pants and collared shirts and I had a jacket to cover my shoulders -despite it being hot. Now note I am Jewish but I knew they would not let us into St. pauls if we were not dressed that way. I was appalled at all the people in tank tops and shorts, etc. I will say while they could go see the Sistine Chapel they were not allowed in the church. To me I found it disrespectful. Again to each his own but when you buy tickets to something there are often rules and regulations. If you do not want to follow them dont go. Not making a judgment on what someone wears as I do not care but I do care when people do not follow the requested rules especially adults as I beleive it sets a bad example and people wonder why kids these days are so disrespectful -they learn from watching

Sharon

Archived