Ündressed Dress Code

max101

..... I think it would be reasonable to have an area specifically for topless sunbathing, so you can avoid it if you want to, much in the same way many European beaches have a naturist section at one end.

OK agree 100% with you but can we limit this to Celebrity, and maybe Carnival and Royal. But it it ever comes to Holland America or Cunard I having my cataract surgery reversed!:cool:

. . .If Celebrity chooses to have a topless, nude area of their ships, then great....you can use it. If not, then don't impose your views on others. I don't care what you think that I should think, I prefer not to have my son exposed to your exposed parts and he likes to sit around the pool or walk public areas of the ship.

Topless is purely a cultural thing. It is primarily in the US that there is this gender gap that it is ok for men to be topless but women have to cover their breasts. Since Celebrity does not choose to have a topless area on thier ships, then men should not be going topless either.

. . .I have no problem at all with nursing mothers in public places....and I think it's important to protect those rights. I don't think it's OK to walk around Walmarts with no top on just letting "the girls" hang there.
In most states you cannot walk into any retail establishment without a shirt (no shirt, no shoes, no service). If that is a law in a state or a regulation for a type of establishment, or an ordiance in a community, or a rule of an establishment, it should be obeyed. But if shirts (or shoes) are optional, why should it be "OK" for a man to go shirtless, but not for a woman?

Personally, I'd like to see most people must more covered up than what they are, but I do have a problem with the double standard -- particularly when there is no legitimate reason for it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't see a big deal about it? Then again I live in a province where topless women is generally legal anywhere men can be topless.

They're just breasts, really. I can't imagine anyone is going to be damaged by seeing other people's body parts, regardless of how attractive or unattractive it might be.

And yup, I have a three year old son and it wouldn't bother me if he saw topless women.

I just wanted to say, that your opinion of them " just being breasts" will likely change when your son is 12 like mine is.

Three is such a lovely sweet innocent age, at 12.... seeing breasts on a cruise ship or on a topless beach will be a TOTALLY different experience. I also have an 8 year old daughter who will not be seeing any man without his shorts on till she is old enough to deal with the after effects. They may be body parts, but I strongly believe that at those ages seeing things in a different light can be very upsetting to kids...

Anyone 5 and under, or over 18 would be different but most kids 6-17 will be very uncomfortable with seeing grown ups not covered up.

I feel like there should be an area for this on ships, for those of us who have kids and would like to steer clear of it. To each their own but I will cover and block as much as I can when it comes to my kids eyes!!

I just wanted to say, that your opinion of them " just being breasts" will likely change when your son is 12 like mine is.

Three is such a lovely sweet innocent age, at 12.... seeing breasts on a cruise ship or on a topless beach will be a TOTALLY different experience. I also have an 8 year old daughter who will not be seeing any man without his shorts on till she is old enough to deal with the after effects. They may be body parts, but I strongly believe that at those ages seeing things in a different light can be very upsetting to kids...

Anyone 5 and under, or over 18 would be different but most kids 6-17 will be very uncomfortable with seeing grown ups not covered up.

I feel like there should be an area for this on ships, for those of us who have kids and would like to steer clear of it. To each their own but I will cover and block as much as I can when it comes to my kids eyes!!

I think having a separate area is reasonable, but honestly, I have sons aged now 16 and 20 and while I didn't ever seek out naked people when they were12, neither did I cover their eyes or rush away if we happened to walk past topless sunbathers ( or naked male ones). I prefer they knew what normal natural bodies looked like than only seeing objectified images of silicon enhanced women, or airbrushed images.

Lest you misunderstand, I am not questioning your parenting, just offering a different point of view.

What is the whole confusion between nudity and a woman's breast? Nude sunbathing is one thing, but if our culture did not objectify women's breasts, the whole concept of a woman without a top would be no different than a men's bathing suit. Earlobes are very senstive and can be part of an erotic experience. Should women cover their earlobes? Breasts need not be any more "sexual" than any other non-genetalia related body part. Get your head in a healthy place and stop objectifying women.

I think having a separate area is reasonable, but honestly, I have sons aged now 16 and 20 and while I didn't ever seek out naked people when they were12, neither did I cover their eyes or rush away if we happened to walk past topless sunbathers ( or naked male ones). I prefer they knew what normal natural bodies looked like than only seeing objectified images of silicon enhanced women, or airbrushed images.

Lest you misunderstand, I am not questioning your parenting, just offering a different point of view.

I will buy into a separate nude sunbathing area.

But why should women be subjected to ogling(sp) simply for doing the same thing a man can do without any judgement. If a man wants to wear a rash guard on top with swimming trunks on the bottom and no one thinks it is "wrong", a man chooses to wear a t-shirt on top with a speedo on the bottom and it is within the rules, a man goes topless and it is ok with everyone. A woman who is lying face down, unbuckles her swimming suit bra and it is a scandal and some men steal glaces "hoping" to catch a glimpse of breast skin when she moves.

I agree with this poster, don't point, don't shush, don't cover your kids' eyes treat the situation for what it is -- a person is sunbathing, nothing out of the ordinary.

What is the whole confusion between nudity and a woman's breast? Nude sunbathing is one thing, but if our culture did not objectify women's breasts, the whole concept of a woman without a top would be no different than a men's bathing suit. Earlobes are very senstive and can be part of an erotic experience. Should women cover their earlobes? Breasts need not be any more "sexual" than any other non-genetalia related body part. Get your head in a healthy place and stop objectifying women.

You are absolutely right...and the next time we meet, instead of a hug or a handshake, I'll just pat you on the breast.

There's a big difference between the intellectualization of the breast being the same as any other part of the body...and the reality. If it is the same as any part of the body and if someone accosts you on the street and grabs you from behind grabbing your breast instead of your arm, will you claim sexual assault...or would you just say, he grabbed me?

Is there a double standard here....but go on, tell those of us in the US that we have our heads in an unhealthy place because we find breasts interesting to look at...and on the right body, sexually arousing. (we won't discuss wrong bodies).

Ok, you've won me over. Now you just have to convince a few billion other people to change their perceptions and beliefs and we'll be all set.

Oh, you say that it is only an American issue? Then that should make it easy as you'll only have to convince a couple hundred million other people.

I think it's time to discuss something way more sensible.. like men and women agreeing upon the style of shoes...

Our feet, except for size are formed the same... now let's rationalize why sex determines how many shoes a person should pack when they cruise...

or the different attitude to wearing lipstick, eye makeup, or why it's ok for women to wear flip flops or shorts and get admitted to certain events and not for men... Why women shave their arm pits (in some cultures) and men do not.

Some would suggest that men and women are not even from the same species.

Because men have been attracted to apple-shaped objects we even got kicked out of paradise.. ;)

Vive la difference

*shrugs* Personally, I think it would be "upsetting", if they were raised that it is something to be upset about. I seriously doubt that European children get scarred by seeing breasts, and they're in public advertisements, for heaven's sake. Let alone on beaches.

I just really don't think being topless is a big deal, frankly. But whatever works, I suppose.

Whether it is socially acceptable in our respective countries or not or whether we like nudity or just do not care, this is the policy on Celebrity's website.

Guest Conduct Policy

Pool, deck, and theater chairs may not be reserved. Public nudity is not permitted and guests must be appropriately attired (including while on stateroom verandas if visible to others onboard, on other vessels or ashore). Topless sunbathing may be permitted on some ships and on some itineraries, but only in designated areas.

:D

Three is such a lovely sweet innocent age, at 12.... seeing breasts on a cruise ship or on a topless beach will be a TOTALLY different experience.

For better or worse, I'd be very surprised if your 12 year old son hasn't seen a naked breast or two, and possibly more, on the Internet or on TV. I suspect that he'd be more intrigued than shocked at seeing live nudity.

Whether it is socially acceptable in our respective countries or not or whether we like nudity or just do not care, this is the policy on Celebrity's website.

Guest Conduct Policy

Pool, deck, and theater chairs may not be reserved. Public nudity is not permitted and guests must be appropriately attired (including while on stateroom verandas if visible to others onboard, on other vessels or ashore). Topless sunbathing may be permitted on some ships and on some itineraries, but only in designated areas.

:D

Don't ruin a good thread with facts....shame on you.

I appreciate the other opinions, and as I said... it is different when you have lived it.

Cafediem2, thanks for your in put. Since you have older children then I do, I can see your point.

I don't have a problem with nudity in general, to each their own... but when talking about minors I see it as my job to keep them focused on other things.

I didn't MAKE nudity sexual, but it is.

I think GHstudio is very correct.

I do want to say how thankful I am that everyone has remained so polite.

I have seen people get eaten up and spit out on some threads when there is a difference of opinion.

In fact, I erased my note twice before deciding to post it.

I am glad I did... and thankful for the respect it was shown.

Opinons aside, this is a great site!!

Safe Travels everyone!!

Archived