Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

I always bring a flashlight and a corkscrew.

IMHO you made the right choice. I take a small hi power led flashlight that fits in my pocket.

The corkscrew is a must for the wife. It's really Swiss Army Techno Knife with many tools.

framer

A question about this device -- the ones I see on Amazon looks like a 'timer' plugs right into the wall -- as I remember the outlets they are close to the counter top - have you used this item on a ship and does it fit in the wall outlet?

I ask because I have a timer that only goes in one way and blocks the other half of the outlet and it only fits in certain locations ...

thanks for any other info you may have on this ---

azippy

I have that Belkin 3-Outlet Mini SurgePlus Protector 2.1 amp version. The plug portion swivels 360 degrees with 4 locking positions, so it fits good horizontally if needed. It should fit any cruise ship setup, at least the ones I've been on.

B&H Photo sells them for about $19 with free shipping and no tax.

Rich

• 7 months later...

I found Grab Green for laundry.They are powder pods and 3 in 1 they come fragrance free. Haven't tried them yet

http://www.amazon.com/Grab-Green-Detergents-Fragrance-Free-Pre-Measured/dp/B00A2F4LQ2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1411091560&sr=8-7&keywords=grab+green+3+in+1+laundry+pods

For the ebags how many can fit in one suitcase?Trying to figure out how many to buy.How many articles of clothes can fit in each size pack?

Thank you!

For the ebags how many can fit in one suitcase?Trying to figure out how many to buy.How many articles of clothes can fit in each size pack?

Thank you!

I can fit 6 large eBags into a 29" upright suitcase. I can get 3 into a 25" and then use the extra room for shoes, toiletries, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I love these "what do you pack just in case" threads! I laugh my way through every one of them, with images of pax carrying bag after bag with "just in case" items stuffed inside! I wonder where they pack their clothes! I know that I will not be laughing some day, though, when I find myself in that "just in case" situation and I have not packed the correct items! :eek:

I guess I am more of an adventure traveler than I gave myself credit for! :o

On the other hand, I always travel with a cork screw -- somehow it seems like that ought to be sufficient for all contingencies... :rolleyes:

I love these "what do you pack just in case" threads! I laugh my way through every one of them, with images of pax carrying bag after bag with "just in case" items stuffed inside! I wonder where they pack their clothes! I know that I will not be laughing some day, though, when I find myself in that "just in case" situation and I have not packed the correct items! :eek:

On the other hand, I always travel with a cork screw -- somehow it seems like that ought to be sufficient for all contingencies... :rolleyes:

If you're lucky you'll have one of us next to you or at least on your Roll Call. ;)

One of the wonderful advantages of making "friends" before you sail .

You're right in that some of these threads have so many items that it would take an extra suitcase, or more, if you brought them all.

My 'what if' bag, though is just a quart-size ziplock bag filled mostly with first aid supplies and common medicines, plus a tiny sewing kit and glasses repair kit. And some extra reading glasses tucked here and there. That's it, and I have needed just about everything in that bag at least once.

You're right in that some of these threads have so many items that it would take an extra suitcase, or more, if you brought them all.

My 'what if' bag, though is just a quart-size ziplock bag filled mostly with first aid supplies and common medicines, plus a tiny sewing kit and glasses repair kit. And some extra reading glasses tucked here and there. That's it, and I have needed just about everything in that bag at least once.

An extremely important item. Being on a ship for an extended period without reading glasses would be a really bad thing for me. I actually lost my good reading glasses and then had my cheaters break. Fortunately we only had 2 days left out of a 15 day cruise. I'll be taking "extra" extra glasses from now on.

I am one of those people who bring a lot,of,the stuff on these lists. I've trimmed down the list after realizing what I don't really need, but have been grateful for many of these tips. On one cruise, a TA, I broke a tooth, when we had many sea days left before getting home. Fortunately, it never caused me pain, but I was concerned about it starting to for the entire trip home. I added to my "must haves" an dental emergency kit, which includes something you can fill the tooth with till you get to a dentist.

Edited by sasha'smom

Wow thanks for letting me know about the serendipity luggage tag holders! I acutally found some on ebay at very reasonable prices!

Its such a hassle trying to find ways to connect the paper tags to your luggage!

You learn a lot on Cruise Critic! : - )

IMHO you made the right choice. I take a small hi power led flashlight that fits in my pocket.

The corkscrew is a must for the wife. It's really Swiss Army Techno Knife with many tools.

framer

Hi Framer,

Unrelated to this forum, but I like your panorama shots in your signature section. We were in Newport July 2011 and SF in Sept 2012. What app did you use or how did you get these nice shots?

Eskimo88 (Tom)

framer

Exactly what we use when cruising. :) I have a pretty comprehensive Swiss Army Knife that I was given as a gift many (many) years ago. It lives in my dopp kit and we use the corkscrew when camping, in hotels, and on cruises.

My favorite items include:

♥ Small, collapsible mesh with wire laundry hamper

♥ Downey Wrinkle Release spray

♥ Short, slender plastic container with locking lid for husband to put the... papers, coins, etc. in along with his wrist watch and cabin card.

♥ Packing cubes

♥ Small, battery operated "candle" to use as a night light.

♥ Dryer sheets to put in hubby's shoes if they smell.

If you are staying in an European Hotel before your cruise you may want to pack an inexpensive wash cloth in a ziplock baggie. It has been our experience that many European hotels, even very nice ones, do not have wash cloths available.

I am a stickler for clean skin, so I always bring disposable washcloths whenever I travel. I don't know if the ones in my cabin or hotel room were washed the way I prefer them. Disposable ones can be found at beauty supply stores, and are around $5 for a pack of 50.

I don't think Purex makes the 3-1 sheets any longer, they replaced them with one of those pod things. I really liked those sheets for when we travel, easy to pack and easy to use.

Yes, unfortunately. I stocked up though and probably have enough for the rest of our cruising life! You can find them sometimes on Amazon and other places--I found some at Walgreens.

I got a clear shoe caddy that is clear, and those 3 m removable hooks to hang next to the bed.. In the caddy I placed my little flashlite, eye glasses, cord to move picuters form camera to laptop and room key and misc in at night so I didn't worry about things rolling off night stand.. Cause I put my C-pap on the night stand and it was crowded and didn't want to search for things in the drawer.

i haven't read the 1st 20 pages, but i always take an extra weeks supply of prescription meds, an extra pair of glasses, color copies of passports and drivers licenses, a "Targus" 4 plug travel power strip with a short cord, extra batteries, SD cards, and a travel alarm clock. I Also take a pair of binoculars and a star-chart.

• 1 month later...
The deal with the bathroom plugs on Princess is that they don't want high powered items to be used in there. Night light with just two prongs will be fine. But no blow dryers, etc.

You can't blow dry your hair in the bathroom?? :eek: