Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

I have enjoyed the tips. I finally got thru the last of the posts today! :p

I recently purchased the luggage tag protectors from Cruise Critic. http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/product.cfm?ID=46 They weren't very expensive ($2.95usd each or four for $9.50usd). In the past I had the tags laminated as my printer's ink smudges when it gets wet. They arrived in the same week that I ordered them.

Instead of getting a water bottle with a filter, I bring along Rubbermaid 20oz water bottles and add packets of True Lemon or True Lime to the water. The packets contain crystallized lemon and lime. 1 packet is equivalent to 1 large lemon or lime wedge. They are calorie free, sugar free, gluten free and have no preservatives. I find them to be delicious and they help if you encounter strong chlorine in water, such as at airports. The packets can be ordered online or found in many grocery stores. My local Walmart carries them now. In my grocery store and @ Walmart, they can be found on the baking isle, other stores stock them on the beverage isle by the Crystal Light packets.

Once on board the ship, I get a fresh lemon or lime wedge from the buffet and fill my water bottles up with ice and water.

Happy sailing everyone! :)

My must haves:

A handy pen when boarding to fill out the "Are you Sick?" forms

A tote bag for beach or shopping

Individual wrapped hand sanitizer wipes to throw in the tote bag/purse

Little packs of tissues (has come in handy in many rest rooms ashore!)

MY SUNGLASSES

Spare regular glasses incase (I am blind with out them!)

Individual wrapped lens wipes to keep my glasses scratch-free. Salt air can be damaging

My allotted bottle of wine:D

A cork screw

Large Ziploc bags for wet items when packing to go home

A normal size bar of deodorant soap from home

I had cards (business card like) made from vista print for free. They have our personal info name, email etc. We call them our friendship cards. When we make new friends and want to keep in contact we give them our card. Much easier than all the napkins I have collected over the years with names and emails of my new friends I have made at sea :p

Some suggestions...

HI Liter for marking things in the daily Patter

Refrigerator Magnets..They stick on the wall and are great for hanging things

For balcony stateroom a thermometer that sticks on the outside of the sliding door

I Pad...Has a great clock to use a night light

Power strip with surge proyector

Perhaps someone has taken these suggestions and made a list for all of us. A lot of posts to go through.

Tom:)

Just came off the Emerald. They had individual shampoo and conditioner, but the shampoo didn't lather up very good. Next time I'd take my own. A battery operated candle as a night light because the only bathroom outlet was for a razor. The Emerald mini suite had very few outlets - even fewer than other ships.

Having listened to the advise from many experienced and seasoned cruisers and including all of the invaluable and necessary comfort and handy items that was suggested to make our 4 day cruise as comfortable and unforgetable as possible, my husband and I come to the novice conclusion that we are going to have to rent an additional possible Ford F350 to get all our luggage to the ship, not to mention our own plane.

We appreciate the good intentions of our fellows travellers, however, given the time, money and luggage to pack all of these things, we have decided it would be better to stay at home and rent a movie like Titanic...no wonder it sunk.

Having listened to the advise from many experienced and seasoned cruisers and including all of the invaluable and necessary comfort and handy items that was suggested to make our 4 day cruise as comfortable and unforgetable as possible, my husband and I come to the novice conclusion that we are going to have to rent an additional possible Ford F350 to get all our luggage to the ship, not to mention our own plane.

We appreciate the good intentions of our fellows travellers, however, given the time, money and luggage to pack all of these things, we have decided it would be better to stay at home and rent a movie like Titanic...no wonder it sunk.

I am really laughing out loud. As I am gathering "stuff" for our upcoming cruise, your post has made me rethink the packing process :D

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip

Dear Denise, That was exactly my purpose in writing the post...I was completely unravelled by what I was searching for, trying to buy or borrow. I even contemplating stealing. Then I realized I had sailed on approx. 30 cruises and never was at a loss for anything. Just think sensibily now...not the last week and you wll be fine.

If you really, reallly need something, don't call me.

Eileen

One of my best travel purchases was a large personal toiletry organizer from L L Bean. I have had it for 5 years so far and many trips, including 10 cruises. It has a hook for hanging, so I don't have to unpack it.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/73883?feat=507361-GN2&page=personal-organizer-toiletry-bag-large

I have one as well and don't travel without it. Its packed and ready to go ;)

• 3 months later...

I have been reading this thread for a while and thought I would give you MY packing list

We commenced cruising 2008 with 4 large suitcases Many cruises later we now use two smaller ones and they never weight more than 17 kg. and we have 2 small carryon cases – almost empty. Obviously we now have free laundry so can take less but it is easy to rinse out undies or on Princess use the coin laundry

Lady t

4 sox 4 panties

1 sparkly top for formal night

3 skirt & slax for evening Dinner

3 tops to mix with above for dinner

3 tee shirts

1 light shawl/cardigan for cold theatre

2 sandals/slipperettes for evening

Trainers (wear on journey)

Light rainwear

2 shorts/cargo pants

1 skirt

Swim costume

Sarong

Crocodiles

2 nightwear

Jewellery

White jeans/slax

2 bras

Small handbag

Gent

5 sox

4 pants

Black trousers and light slax

4 short sleeve shirts

3 polo shirts 1 T shirt

1 light sweater

black shoes and brown shoes

trainers (wearing for the journey)

light rainwear

2 shorts

swim wear

swim goggles

crocodiles or kangaroos shoes

2 nightwear

3 handkerchiefs

1 long sleeve shirt and bow tie, cuff links

white tux

hat and sun glasses

wallet and reading glasses

Power disinfectant wipes (for all surfaces in room plus luggage handles when delivered)

Clock, binoculars, cameras, credit cards, coffee card, 6 clothes pegs (for wet swimwear)

Personal Medication as needed (with prescription if foreign immigration requires)

Stop itch - immodium -

50 factor sun cream and mosquito repellent

Plasters - lip salve

Black and white cotton small reels – 2 safety pins – 1 needle

Head ache tablets of your choice

Wide spectrum antibiotic

Mouth wash and toothpaste Floss and toothpix

Toothbrushes (in funny head suction holders)

Deodorant - Razor and gell

Hairbrush and comb – shampoo as I prefer my own type

Makeup and nail varnish (if used)

Blood type donor card (in case called for emergency donors on ship)

Hi lighter pen – magnetic crocodile clip – duck tape – 1 meter of string – super glue

Lanyard – pencil with rubber (for trivia) - biro – notelets –

All necessary documentation inc. e-mails confirming obc and tour or hotel arrangements

If you are going on beach type holiday water shoes and snorkels may be added with waterproof pouch

2 bottles wine and two packs of playing cards

If Alaska or similar – umbrella and sweatshirt each plus scarves

If you wear spectacles a small $2 repair kit (mine used 3 times by other cruisers in emergency)

Loved the list of "extras". Thank you, for the laugh. Seriously, the less you have to schlep the better. Really, really think about what you absolutely can't live without. About the only extra things I take are my own shampoo/conditioner for my crazy curly hair. We leave the bathroom door slightly ajar for a nightlight, use my iPhone for an alarm, use any old bag if we do laundry, underline or circle important stuff in the Patter etc. You need far less than you think. After all, you're on vacation!

Loved the list of "extras". Thank you, for the laugh. Seriously, the less you have to schlep the better. Really, really think about what you absolutely can't live without. About the only extra things I take are my own shampoo/conditioner for my crazy curly hair. We leave the bathroom door slightly ajar for a nightlight, use my iPhone for an alarm, use any old bag if we do laundry, underline or circle important stuff in the Patter etc. You need far less than you think. After all, you're on vacation!

Okay, I admit it. I always take my own shampoo and conditioner. I can't stand those stupid containers that you have to rip open when your hand is wet. Plus I like my brand.

I have to laugh at myself. Many cruises under the belt and I read all these must have tips - like the "organizer". I took one and SUCKER - why, oh why, did I do that? I've never needed it in the past and didn't use it on the ship. I left it in the garbage.

Everyone has their "must haves". For me, its my alarm clock and big plastic glasses. Even when I go locally to a hotel I take my own glasses. I drink a LOT and those piddly little things don't work for me.

Pack as if you are going away for the weekend but keep in mind the little extras that are hard to get along without. I have a medical baggie. It contains band aids, neosporin, safety pins and that kind of things. I have a Tupperware container that has a variety of pills - aspirin, Tylenol, sinus... you name it - it's there. I won't necessarily use it, but it is there if I need it.

We are all different and have different life styles and priorities. I book a cabin that fits my stuff so don't need to organize anything over the door. It all fits comfortably in the many drawers in my cabin. It is rare for me to do laundry and even though I am Elite and can get it free, I can't remember ever sending anything out (well, except the time we didn't get our luggage for 10 days of a 12 day cruise) and my daughter had only the clothes on her back).

By the same token, we have never ever used our free internet minutes. I can only remember once being on line on a ship and that was because I wanted my daughter to check us in on line for our return trip and had forgot to give her our passport info. My son who lives on the internet/computer didn't even realize he had free internet. He says "why on earth would I want to do that on a cruise?" It made my smile and proud at the same time. He has used computers since he was 2 YO but once he hits the ship - nope he doesn't do it.

On our last cruise we brought some magnets which had hooks attached.They were so strong that we could hang shirts and damp clothes from the walls or ceiling which are steel.Also good for posting the patters.Cost was about $2.50 for a set of 4 at HF tools.

What is the item specifically that you buy from Serendipity to enclose your Princess luggage tags? What is their web site and can the item be purchased on their site? Thanks

John, try the following:

www.*******************.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage.

(www.favorsby serendipity.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage)

They work great and are durable.:D

Edited by RetiredNTraveling
edit

I have one as well and don't travel without it. Its packed and ready to go ;)

I have the same one, size large. It's perfect for my family of five (most of whom are boys and are just fine with the Princess provided toiletries, plus their much pickier mother who brings her own stuff). :)