Bar Harbor tenders do-able for a 91 yr old?

voegcal

I've cruised only a couple of times but never visited a port that required access by tender. Want to take my mom on a New England/Canada tour. Would like to get opinions about how feasible the Bar Harbor tenders are for an older person a little unsteady on her feet. My husband & I will be with her.

I have only experienced tenders on HAL, but they are very good with older people. There are stairs and a couple larger steps, but there will be crew there to help everyone board the tender. They usually position the ship to protect the tenders from rough water but it can still be a bit rocky. Bar Harbor is beautiful, I hope it works out for you to take this trip!

I travel with my 83 yo mom... she is able to get on/off the tenders. The guys help her. And she's unsteady on her feet, too. You should be ok. The biggest determining factor will be how rough the water may be on that particular day.

thank you so much - that is helpful. Forgot to mention that we will probably be on HAL. I hope to get the cruise booked soon :-)

What time of year are you looking at... spring or fall?

• 3 weeks later...

We tendered in Bar Harbor from the Veendam a couple of weeks ago. It was easy getting on the tender, but the waves were rough when we came back. It did not help that our tender waited 15 minutes for an excursion boat to unload passengers. We bobbed around in the water. Fortunately no one got seasick. Getting off the tender and back onto the ship was difficult for some people, but I did not see anyone fall down.

• 1 month later...

The crew likely will be able to get 91 year old comfortably aboard the tender but as the tide changes in Bar Harbor, the stairs leading from the tender dock to the street/terminal can get a very sharp angle. There have been times we have very carefully navigated down the steps at a high angle. Keep that in mind.

The crew likely will be able to get 91 year old comfortably aboard the tender but as the tide changes in Bar Harbor, the stairs leading from the tender dock to the street/terminal can get a very sharp angle. There have been times we have very carefully navigated down the steps at a high angle. Keep that in mind.

The tender dock at Bar Harbor is a floating dock which leads to a ramp to the street. As I recall it, there are no steps involved.

SBtS

The tide will be high at 6:54 AM on 8/30. If you go early, the ramp will be at the least incline going up to the dock. Coming back, the tide will have started to recede and the float will be lower, but at least she'll be going down, not up.

Archived