Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

It's easy to miss details that turn out to be essential when reading posts.

It's too bad the people you asked didn't offer to make your requests for a future evening.

As far as Escargot, I know that last year there was a HUGE shortage and it was a big deal to be able to get it at all so maybe they had used up their share for that cruise.

I read about the OP telling the waiter the night before, but not that it was a must, (so it would be ready).

True - the waiter or Maitre'd could offer to serve me either item on a future night, but that little extra step of service was not taken. I do think you loose some of that "special service" with Anytime Dinning.

The whole point is that not everything you read on cc can be taken as gospel and things change. Had I not expected this, I would have not been disappointed.

You can order the Volcano (a banana split/sundae) for dessert in the MDR as an adult, even though it is on the children's menu.

My wife is kind of a fussy eater. She orders off of the kid's menu all the time! Especially if they have Mac & Cheese.

Joe

We were on the Grand in June. The people who sat by us on the last night had ordered copious special dishes including a HUGE bowl of chicken livers. They too said just to arrange it in advance.

The chef who is in charge of specialty restaurants came to our table one night and told me that if there was anything special I wanted he'd be glad to make it. I naturally thought of something I'd love to have AFTER we got off the ship. Oh well.

What is the easiest/quickest/soonest way to obtain a Patter on day of embarkation? Is it possible to get one before boarding?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I would bet that you can get one at the Purser's desk

Joe<----Golden in 3 wks.

I would bet that you can get one at the Purser's desk

Joe<----Golden in 3 wks.

They don't have them off ship the purser's desk is best. We always board grab the Patter and dash to the dining room serving lunch so we don't have to go to the feeding frenzy in the Lido.

I second the recommendations for the Volcano from the kids' menu. I sailed Princess for years before I had kids, and frequently requested a banana split because I liked to see the various interpretations my waiters came up with. ("Banana split" not usually being a phrase they understood readily). Once they brought me a dish of topped ice cream along with a banana still in the skin. :cool: Another time it was a bunch of banana circles mixed in with the ice cream. I do love me a good banana split.

Then I had kids, started cruising with them, and saw the Volcano on the kids menu and now I order it all the time. :D

The whole point is that not everything you read on cc can be taken as gospel and things change. Had I not expected this, I would have not been disappointed.

Things change from ship to ship and cruise to cruise as each member of staff has there own way of doing things:D

It can be aggravating when what you are allowed on one cruise you cannot do the next week on the same ship.

My secret which is not so secret is that I use my free minutes being elite to call home using my magic jack, use my laptop and bought a cheap princess phone as I like to talk into a phone and I can call my kids who are teens from my cruises.

I have now loaded the magic jack app on my kindle and have headphones with a mic and can call using that, worked great last month calling hubby and son from Europe.

We ordered a Volcano for the first time in 15 cruises when our adult DD was with us on our last cruise. The two flavors of the day were chocolate peanut butter and amaretto. Had it topped with butterscotch and chocolate along with almost two bananas and whipped cream and DD and DW were in Volcano Heavem ;)

Does anybody know why this applies only to those countries. I served in the military for almost 2 years in the Netherlands and as far as I know Holland is part of the same alliance as the USA, Canada, UK, NZ, and Australia.

Should I just apply for this benefit and see what happens?

Theo

Did you ever hear anything?

I am going to get on hubby to get his discharge forms and try:D

Below is a picture from the Crown Princess from several years ago. I do not know if these computers still exist.

I was on the Grand in May to Alaska and their was no computers outside the future cruise office.

Tom:)

I've contacted my TA and he said Princess no longer give out the coupon book to the agents, so they don't hv any with them. :(
Absolutely not true. Not sure where your TA got this information but it's wrong.

Two things: The BOGO coffee card coupon has been gone for 2 1/2 years. Ancient history. The other thing is that TAs have a choice of perks to give clients on a particular cruise. All clients on that cruise get the same perk; it can't be personalized for each cabin. On my Royal cruise in October, I'm getting OBC and a bottle of wine. On my Royal 9/14 cruise, I'm getting OBC and the coupon book. (I'd rather have the wine.)

Absolutely not true. Not sure where your TA got this information but it's wrong.

Two things: The BOGO coffee card coupon has been gone for 2 1/2 years. Ancient history. The other thing is that TAs have a choice of perks to give clients on a particular cruise. All clients on that cruise get the same perk; it can't be personalized for each cabin. On my Royal cruise in October, I'm getting OBC and a bottle of wine. On my Royal 9/14 cruise, I'm getting OBC and the coupon book. (I'd rather have the wine.)

We also are getting the wine and OBC, I did read somewhere recently that they will credit you for the wine and you can use it for something else, have you heard that?

I'm sure it's the cheapest wine they have but not being big wine drinkers I would prefer to credit it towards something :)

Not sure where on CC I read it and just from our earlier posts nothing happens the same on each ship, week etc etc.

I think you're right. Another good reason to trade it for something else...anything else.;)

We also are getting the wine and OBC, I did read somewhere recently that they will credit you for the wine and you can use it for something else, have you heard that?

The card in your stateroom announcing the gift of the wine says it cannot be traded in for anything else.

If you speak to the right supervisor, you can probably turn in to be put as OBC on your onboard account, but you may not be successful in doing this.

Once the best I could do was trade it in in the dining room in exchange for a soda each evening.