Critique my Barcelona itinerary please

vmjp

We will be visiting Barcelona for the first time as a stop on the NCL Epic. We will be in port from 5am (!!) to 6pm. After doing extensive research, I have come up with the following itinerary, and would like some feedback to confirm if it is feasible (particularly the timing for the HOHO bus):

-8:30am: disembark ship, take port shuttle to Columbus Monument/World Trade Center

-9:00am: get Barcelona City Tours (red bus) HOHO bus Orange/West line

-Remain on bus for several stops (~1.5hrs+??)

-10:30-10:45am: get off orange/west bus at either La Pedrada, Casa Batllo, Placa Catalunya, or Gotic and switch to green/east bus line

-Remain on bus for several stops (~30-45min??)

-11:30am: get off green/east bus at La Sagrada Familia

-12:00 (pre-reserved entrance ticket for 12-1pm window) to 1:45pm: tour La Sagrada Familia

-2:00pm: take green/east HOHO bus line to Placa Catalunya or Gotic

-2:45pm: walk from Placa Catalunya or Gotic down Las Ramblas (eat tapas and shopping)

-4:15pm: take port shuttle from Columbus Monument back to ship

-4:30pm: back on ship

Aside from timing, I am curious as to how many buses of each line there are and how often they pass by each stop? In other words, if I plan my itinerary this way, what is the most time I would have to wait to get back on the bus at any given stop?

For reference, the Orange/West route is here: http://www.barcelonacitytour.com/en/our-routes/west-route/ and the Green/East route is here: http://www.barcelonacitytour.com/en/our-routes/east-route/

Thanks in advance!

We were in Barcelona last month (April), used the Barcelona City Tours company and had no problem at all finding space available on the buses. They came frequently, we never waited more than 10 minutes, and there were always people getting out if the bus looked full. This was on a late April Saturday afternoon, you don't say when you will be in Barcelona---- someone else may well have info specific to that time of year and day of the week. One word of caution which you may or may not have seen before: make sure you carefully secure your paper receipt after you first board the bus, this is your ticket to reboard and is easily misplaced. We saw a few people frantically looking for theirs and letting our bus pass by while they continued to search. We bought online vouchers in advance which we exchanged for tickets when we first boarded, but I think everyone gets the same paper receipt.

My only other suggestion is to make sure you reserve a little time to stroll the Gothic Quarter, it really is a magical place with a lot of history and old Spanish atmosphere. Los Ramblas is next to it and is touristy and fun, but is not the same thing at all.

We were in Barcelona last month (April), used the Barcelona City Tours company and had no problem at all finding space available on the buses. They came frequently, we never waited more than 10 minutes, and there were always people getting out if the bus looked full. This was on a late April Saturday afternoon, you don't say when you will be in Barcelona---- someone else may well have info specific to that time of year and day of the week. One word of caution which you may or may not have seen before: make sure you carefully secure your paper receipt after you first board the bus, this is your ticket to reboard and is easily misplaced. We saw a few people frantically looking for theirs and letting our bus pass by while they continued to search. We bought online vouchers in advance which we exchanged for tickets when we first boarded, but I think everyone gets the same paper receipt.

My only other suggestion is to make sure you reserve a little time to stroll the Gothic Quarter, it really is a magical place with a lot of history and old Spanish atmosphere. Los Ramblas is next to it and is touristy and fun, but is not the same thing at all.

Did you stay in Barcelona? If so, where and what did you think?

Did you stay in Barcelona? If so, where and what did you think?

Yes, we stayed at the Hotel Colon in the Gothic Quarter. It has a sort of old fashioned ambiance but isn't shabby at all, is across from the cathedral and near a lot of restaurants as well as the HoHo bus stop and a taxi stand. We had a superior room with a cathedral view, plenty of space and 2 French balconies with doors that open so you can enjoy the activity around the cathedral and the square beneath you. There is a restaurant and lounge in the hotel, as well as an outside cafe on the square. Highly recommended.

Sounds a plan. I'll be there off the Epic first Sunday in July. I might steal your itinerary for myself although, I want to see Parc Guell also. I don't think I'll buy entrance tickets to Familia Sagrada as it ties me to a specific time and I want to be flexible. Is it worth getting out and just walking around, observing it from the outside? :confused:

Sounds a plan. I'll be there off the Epic first Sunday in July. I might steal your itinerary for myself although, I want to see Parc Guell also. I don't think I'll buy entrance tickets to Familia Sagrada as it ties me to a specific time and I want to be flexible. Is it worth getting out and just walking around, observing it from the outside? :confused:

If you don't mind being behind the fence, absolutely get off the HoHo and walk around Segrada Familia. The details and sculptures on the outside are the best I've seen anywhere! But, you really need to be inside the fence and get intimate with the architecture! I think I took close to 200 photos just of the outside of the church!

Two unusual things: across the street from the entrance to Segrada Familia, there is a dog park. It was fun to just relax there for a moment and watch the dogs play - I missed my puppy at home and it was nice to watch the pooches have a good time. On the backside of the church, there is another little park. Kitty-corner from the church and across the street from the park, there is a restaurant called "Casa de Jamon", aka "House of Ham". If you need a break, hit it up for a beverage. If nothing else, it's good for a photo of the sign :D

The inside is really magical, and this is from someone who has seen many of the world's great cathedrals (St Marks in Venice, St Peters in Rome, etc.) In my opinion, it's well worth buying tickets in advance and working your schedule around it. The outside does have some lovely sculptures, but you'll get a better view of these inside the gates as well. As my DH said, and he sometimes can be a little jaded about traveling through one monument after another, "If you're not moved by this, you're not moved by anything." Lines are very long for those without advance tickets, you'll probably give up if you wait to buy your tickets when you arrive.

Seems like a lot of time riding around on HoHo buses (I know they are popular but definitely not our thing), I would rather take the metro to the sights and spend more time at more places, plus much cheaper then the HH.

Yes, we stayed at the Hotel Colon in the Gothic Quarter. It has a sort of old fashioned ambiance but isn't shabby at all, is across from the cathedral and near a lot of restaurants as well as the HoHo bus stop and a taxi stand. We had a superior room with a cathedral view, plenty of space and 2 French balconies with doors that open so you can enjoy the activity around the cathedral and the square beneath you. There is a restaurant and lounge in the hotel, as well as an outside cafe on the square. Highly recommended.

We'll be staying there in the fall. You make it sound delightful.

Seems like a lot of time riding around on HoHo buses (I know they are popular but definitely not our thing), I would rather take the metro to the sights and spend more time at more places, plus much cheaper then the HH.

I agree..we have done the 2 lines fully on 2 different trips, and never got off. It took a long time to do the whole circuit. They are good to get an overview. But if you want to wander a bit and see something in depth, find another way to get to just those spots. The Gothic quarter is a great area to walk around.

Archived