What should we expect from the butler?

carlo7

Just booked our 2nd OC cruise on Riv in Dec. Our PH has a butler but we have never booked at this level and I was hoping some of the more experienced OC cruisers could give me ideas about what we should expect the butler to do for us. Our last OC cruise on Regatta was a concierge level stateroom but we never used that service.

I suppose that quickest answer to your question is - "You should expect your butler to perform whatever service you desire". (within the bounds of good taste, however)

Butlers are trained to do many things, and some do not care for such attentive service, others love every minute.

With that in mind, do enjoy your cruise......;)

If you have a printed Oceania catalogue handy, the services offered by the butler are listed.

After embarkation, your butler will stop by to introduce himself and also give you some pointers, such as his hours, how to communicate your meal requests, etc.

I should add that butler service is always available even when your particular butler has down time. There is 24/7 coverage.

They will pack or unpack for you, a service I once used when recovering from surgery; bring you hors doeuvres in the evening; make restaurant reservations for you; serve you a meal from a restaurant in your room; and try to make your trip as pleasant as possible. I one had two of them take my luggage off the ship the day of disembarkation (so we could get to the airport by private car swiftly).

We love having them available and even ask for a particular butler, if he's on the ship.

We appreciate your many replies about butler services we might expect. My feeling is that we will ask our butler what to expect when he (I have not seen anyone refer to a butler as "she") introduces himself.

I think asking to have bags unpacked would be a good idea for a cruise longer than our 10 days. I can see us hunting for everything during the first 2 days since we would have no idea where he put anything. Even when I unpack my own bag I have to ask my bride where something things are when I forget where I put stuff. Soon all my moments will be "senior" with a few "junior moments" here and there when I actually recall something important.

Just booked our 2nd OC cruise on Riv in Dec. Our PH has a butler but we have never booked at this level and I was hoping some of the more experienced OC cruisers could give me ideas about what we should expect the butler to do for us. Our last OC cruise on Regatta was a concierge level stateroom but we never used that service.

We had a butler on our first O cruise. We didn't like it as we prefer to eat out of our cabin and there was nothing he could do that the housekeeping or other staff wouldn't do. We found him to be intrusive. Booked concierge after that for our next 2

We could no more cruise without a Butler than we could without our Passports :eek:

They are the REAL Oceania Ambassadors, always ready to find that lost suitcase, re-press the linen pants that the expensive Italian dry-cleaners botched, locate a bottle of Vermouth in Morocco, or expropriate a few yards of "Oceania-Blue Ribbon" to wrap those party favors off Santorini.

He will also tend bar in your Suite if you entertain, and conjure up trays of nibbles out of thin air on a moments notice.

And the best part is that you leave the cabin with your guests and return to a pristine Suite.

Think of your butler as a very tolerant friend who happens to live on the ship, and you will start to get the idea.

We had a PH suite last year and loved the idea of meals in our room sometimes. As I've already stated here, our butler told us we'd have to order the day before or first thing in the morning. This was totally against what we'd been told so when I asked on this board if this was normal, I got a very quick response that no- it was not! A butler should be able to accommodate you if you are tired from a big day and not feeling like eating at the restaurant.

Oceania very quickly changed our butler and we have marvellous service from then on! We had a birthday cocktail party one night and he bought in food (at our extra expense) plus free food added in as well. He set out extra glasses and made the room just wonderful.

If we go on another cruise, I'm not sure if I'd need a butler though - I'm pretty much used to doing everything myself but I did love the breakfast in the room and the added in-room meal service.

We had a butler on our first O cruise. We didn't like it as we prefer to eat out of our cabin and there was nothing he could do that the housekeeping or other staff wouldn't do. We found him to be intrusive. Booked concierge after that for our next 2

Had a butler for 36 days on Regent and to be honest felt the same way

I think you have to have some sort of special need or desire.

We are much more lower key and none of the "perks" which a butler offered seemed of any use to us.

We enjoyed the privacy of the cabin rather than having someone at our beckon far more.

I guess if being served is important then go for it but for others I agree its not necessary for the big picture.

We'll be on our first O cruise in April, '14, booked a PH and will also have a butler. We usually cruise with Regent but have never had a butler, since the regular suites are rather large on R so saw no need to have a PH.

I appreciate all the ideas of how you folks have used a butler in the past, and although we're very self-sufficient I'm sure we'll use his services in some capacity. It'll be interesting and a special treat....;)

We'll be on our first O cruise in April, '14, booked a PH and will also have a butler. We usually cruise with Regent but have never had a butler, since the regular suites are rather large on R so saw no need to have a PH.

I appreciate all the ideas of how you folks have used a butler in the past, and although we're very self-sufficient I'm sure we'll use his services in some capacity. It'll be interesting and a spec;)ial treat....

Your so right, if you think of it that way you will really enjoy the experience. Have a wonderful cruise.

When we check into our cabin, THE VERY FIRST THING I do is to call the butler (to let him know our various requests). Dial 02 and he will be there in a flash. Enjoy the service!

My butler beat me to the punch and introduced himself within 10 minutes of our arrival offering to unpack.

Aren't you being served in the restaurants?

Service in restaurants, cabin stewards, deck hands, and so on is necessary service for either required up keep or delivery of a specific function which is necessary

To be direct a butler serves only as to serve the whims of whimsy and in truth is nice but far from necessary. It is service in excess of the norm not service required to maintain the basic:rolleyes: norm.

Service in restaurants, cabin stewards, deck hands, and so on is necessary service for either required up keep or delivery of a specific function which is necessary

To be direct a butler serves only as to serve the whims of whimsy and in truth is nice but far from necessary. It is service in excess of the norm not service required to maintain the basic:rolleyes: norm.

Disagree completely!

Our butlers have made what would have been a good experience a great one.

Their service is unmatched and a real treat for those of us who appreciate it

Dining in the privacy of one's suite and being served from the specialty restaurants course by course is a wonderful experience IMHO.

We appreciate your many replies about butler services we might expect. My feeling is that we will ask our butler what to expect when he (I have not seen anyone refer to a butler as "she") introduces himself.

I wonder why they don't have Girlies as butlers .

As a bloke I cant help thinking that the lack of red blooded single blokes on cruiselines might

have to have something to do with things like

Male Butlers :(

Formal Nighs :(

Lack of Racing Simulators :(

Lack of Sports Bars :(

etc etc etc

As my young Gay Mate who has returned from a 3 weeker said.

You know mate the saying Cruiselines are for

Newly Wed

Over Fed

Nearly Dead

Well take the Newly Wed out of the equation. :p

'

As a bloke I cant help thinking that the lack of red blooded single blokes on cruiselines might

etc etc etc

Newly Wed

Over Fed

Nearly Dead

'

Dear Joy - what a hoot u r!!! I have an excellent use for the butler but having really hot, handsome and rich ones would be required. :eek:

Dear Joy - what a hoot u r!!! I have an excellent use for the butler but having really hot, handsome and rich ones would be required. :eek:

Similar but would need a female one. :p

Anyhow in Oz we actually have a Female Governor General and Prime Minister. :D

Firsts in both cases.

I will leave it up to you to explain what they are if someone Inquires :o

Similar but would need a female one. :p

Anyhow in Oz we actually have a Female Governor General and Prime Minister. :D

Firsts in both cases.

I will leave it up to you to explain what they are if someone Inquires :o

We have our first female Premier of Ontario...and she is openly gay! Our first female Prime Minister was in office less than a year over a decade ago. We have had a few female Governor Generals. It's about time for another few.....

Perhaps our American friends will have their first female president soon and they can get well straightened out!!!! :rolleyes:

etc etc etc

Newly Wed

Over Fed

Nearly Dead

'

Now, now. Newly wed as I am, not a bit over fed nor planning on being nearly dead anytime soon. Remember, u said California girls are great. I am just an older girl. :)

Archived