What should we expect from the butler?

carlo7

I wonder why they don't have Girlies as butlers .

As a bloke I cant help thinking that the lack of red blooded single blokes on cruiselines might

have to have something to do with things like

Male Butlers :(

Formal Nighs :(

Lack of Racing Simulators :(

Lack of Sports Bars :(

etc etc etc

As my young Gay Mate who has returned from a 3 weeker said.

You know mate the saying Cruiselines are for

Newly Wed

Over Fed

Nearly Dead

Well take the Newly Wed out of the equation. :p

'

Now, now. Newly wed as I am, not a bit over fed nor planning on being nearly dead anytime soon. Remember, u said California girls are great. I am just an older girl. :)

HawaiisDan.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. The cruise line provides many different crew members to make your trip more enjoyable, the butler being one of them if you are booked in a category that provides one. It is not a whim to make use of him/her. Plus you can just as easily say "no, thank you."

I wonder why they don't have Girlies as butlers ...

On our recent Celebrity Century cruise from San Diego to Hawaii and back, Olga from Russia was our attrractive blonde butler, and the best butler we've had so far.

If you have a printed Oceania catalogue handy, the services offered by the butler are listed.

After embarkation, your butler will stop by to introduce himself and also give you some pointers, such as his hours, how to communicate your meal requests, etc.

I should add that butler service is always available even when your particular butler has down time. There is 24/7 coverage.

Such as his hours

You must be joking :confused:

Disagree completely! Dining in the privacy of one's suite and being served from the specialty restaurants course by course is a wonderful experience IMHO.

Our butler never offered nor gave us dinner course by course. I might have liked that one time; however, to serve each course separately on a regular basis seems like one is monopolizing their butler (who is responsible for numerous staterooms) to the detriment of other passengers

Someone mentioned that there was an extremely demanding couple in a midship penthouse suite that was causing a lot of delays for other cruisers.

(I know it wasn't you, as you are not a mid-ship guy.)

On our recent Celebrity Century cruise from San Diego to Hawaii and back, Olga from Russia was our attractive blonde butler, and the best butler we've had so far.

White Russians I think is their tag.

Absolutely magnificent specimens of womanhood.

Just look at the 2 or 3 top tennis players.

Does Oceania have any ???

Glad you noticed her . ;)

Our butler never offered nor gave us dinner course by course. I might have liked that one time; however, to serve each course separately on a regular basis seems like one is monopolizing their butler (who is responsible for numerous staterooms) to the detriment of other passengers

Someone mentioned that there was an extremely demanding couple in a midship penthouse suite that was causing a lot of delays for other cruisers.

Someone mentioned that there was an extremely demanding couple in a

midship penthouse suite that was causing a lot of delays for other cruisers.

The extremely demanding couple were probably only asking what Oceania promised. :o

Surely if you were in OS you would be offered Course by Course. :confused:

The extremely demanding couple were probably only asking what Oceania promised. :o

They serve course by course in ANY Suite, but because each Butler services more than one Suite, the Passenger needs to coordinate such things in advance.

The Butler's share duties during demanding times, and cover for one another if need be. but as has been discussed, many passengers prefer simple food delivery over course by course service, because having the Butler in the cabin for that amount of time makes them self conscious.

Be Specific about what you want and YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

I must say our experience five months ago was night & day. Like Jekyll & Hyde weird.

Our first butler was inept, unable to secure specialty dining reservations, unavailable by phone in the afternoon, did not return messages. In port, we bought local wines back to the cabin. Were our used wine glasses replaced each day? Nope.

We gave up dealing with him. We tipped a very meager amount as a statement to management and explained our dissatisfaction on the mid-cruise comment card and the final comment card. No inquiry from management. The meager tip should have raised eyebrows.

BTW, one can't receive room service unless you go through the butler but if the tuxed dude does not answer his phone or return messages, fuggedaboutit. Hopeless.

Our second butler was the exact opposite. Pleasant, responsive, informed, too the initiative and eager to please. A superstar for O, a staff member that really did make a noticeable difference on that cruise and for our enjoyment of the PH.

Obvious point: much depends on the individual assigned to your PH.

They serve course by course in ANY Suite, but because each Butler services more than one Suite, the Passenger needs to coordinate such things in advance.

The Butler's share duties during demanding times, and cover for one another if need be. but as has been discussed, many passengers prefer simple food delivery over course by course service, because having the Butler in the cabin for that amount of time makes them self conscious.

Be Specific about what you want and YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Jim, We were in a Deck 7 penthouse last month. That has a definite effect on the butler.

First of all, recent reports are correct -- you may no longer order dinner from a mix of specialty restaurants. Especially on the O Class ships, with restaurants on Decks 5 (Red Ginger & Jacques) and 14 (Polo & Toscana), and penthouses on Decks 7, 10 & 11, a butler would have to have wings to coordinate a mixed order. He will now bring a menu from the single restaurant you choose.

Second, our butler was now serving 15 penthouses, not the 10 that I remember previously, and 11 of them were on Deck 10. He carefully explained, in a friendly way, that if we really wanted course-by-course he would do his best to accommodate us, but it might not work out very well. We chose Polo, and a single serving, and it worked out well for us.

He dropped off the menu in the morning. When we were ready to order (around 3 PM) it was during his afternoon break time, and when we called, it was returned by the designated alternate butler. The alternate did not offer to take our order, but said he would pass a message to our regular butler to call us when he returned to duty at 5 PM, which he did.

I was shocked at the number of suites he said he was serving. This seems to be a real cutback in butler service.

I must say our experience five months ago was night & day. Like Jekyll & Hyde weird.

Our first butler was inept, unable to secure specialty dining reservations, unavailable by phone in the afternoon, did not return messages. In port, we bought local wines back to the cabin. Were our used wine glasses replaced each day? Nope.

We gave up dealing with him. We tipped a very meager amount as a statement to management and explained our dissatisfaction on the mid-cruise comment card and the final comment card. No inquiry from management. The meager tip should have raised eyebrows.

Why would you not just contact the GM or the Hotel manager at the time :confused:

Some people just tip less in general so that would not make any statement to management

The best way to make a statement is to contact the people in charge & speak to them at the time of the dissatisfaction ...

The Concierge can also pass on your complaint

One should not have to come to CC & complain to get action

Lyn

Why would you not just contact the GM or the Hotel manager at the time :confused:

Some people just tip less in general so that would not make any statement to management

The best way to make a statement is to contact the people in charge & speak to them at the time of the dissatisfaction ...

The Concierge can also pass on your complaint

One should not have to come to CC & complain to get action

Lyn

Completely agree. O is fabulously responsive if you are even minimally unhappy about anything. There have been numerous posts about butlers being changed after a complaint. I would have gone right to the gm

HawaiisDan.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. The cruise line provides many different crew members to make your trip more enjoyable, the butler being one of them if you are booked in a category that provides one. It is not a whim to make use of him/her. Plus you can just as easily say "no, thank you."

Politely tell him, when provided, that if we need anything we will call, which we as of yet ever done. Likewise if it is a perk that excites you then that too is your opinion and desire. It, however, doesn't fit with me.

Just curious, but how does one tip the butler? At the end of the cruise, based on how often their services were used, or by per diem?

I would assume this is in addition to the cabin steward or does the butler cover those basic services too?

Just curious, but how does one tip the butler? At the end of the cruise, based on how often their services were used, or by per diem?

I would assume this is in addition to the cabin steward or does the butler cover those basic services too?

recommended amounts from Oceania

Q: What is your gratuity policy?

A: For sailings prior to the 2013-14 Winter season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $14.50 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $20.50 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

For sailings beginning with the 2013-14 Winter season:

How much you choose to tip is a personal matter and completely at your discretion. For your convenience the following gratuities are automatically added to your shipboard account. For guests occupying staterooms, gratuities of $15.00 per guest, per day will be added. For guests occupying Penthouse, Oceania, Vista or Owner's Suites where Butler Service is provided, gratuities of $22.00 per guest, per day will be added. In addition, an 18% service gratuity is automatically added to all beverage purchases, spa services and dinner at La Reserve. Naturally, guests may adjust gratuities while onboard the vessel at their sole discretion.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/faq.aspx?Cat=All

We were, in fact, in an Owner's Suite, and no, our butler never offered us an entire meal course by course. He did, however, ask if we minded having our salad and/or our hors d'oeuvres with our entree.

As I used to live on the continent in a country where salad is served alongside the entree, and because it is our preference here at home to do the same, I was happy to have salad with the entree.

He always came back later to inquire about our dessert and beverage selections.

For those of you who do want a course by course meal served in your suite as if your were in a dining room, do you literally want each and every course brought in to you and then for the butler to disappear back to the galley to retrieve the next course for you and the next after that and then dessert after that?

The butlers have many staterooms to serve.

I cannot imagine the logistics of this. Perhaps JimandStan and others of you can weigh in on this.

We'll be sailing the Italian Escapade in late August out of Rome and have booked an Oceania Suite. Perhaps it's been mentioned here or some other forum and I have missed it, or don't recall, but I am curious as to how many suites a butler typically serves?

For those of you who do want a course by course meal served in your suite as if your were in a dining room, do you literally want each and every course brought in to you and then for the butler to disappear back to the galley to retrieve the next course for you and the next after that and then dessert after that?

I cannot imagine the logistics of this. Perhaps JimandStan and others of you can weigh in on this.

Actually, I would have liked that! "Course by course' was advertised but when we were in a VS on Marina in Oct '11 that wasn't what we got. Now, it wasn't a real problem for us. The butler brought our first and second courses, and then we ordered desert later. (And we may well have skipped dessert anyway. I don't recall.)

But while the information we were given was "course by course", it wasn't served that way. From Jim&Stan say we should have specified that was what we wanted and we might well have gotten it.

But we didn't.

We also did NOT mix and match restaurants.

BUT I also agree that the logistics of serving course by course (especially if from multiple restaurants) are extremely difficult for the butlers. We really didn't mind having the appetizers and main course arriving at the same time. The food was NOT cold when we got to the main course. For one thing, we just immediately proceeded to the main course whereas in the restaurants you usually have a waiting time between courses.

Mura

Perhaps we were just lucky but during our infrequent stays in the PH, we had dinner in our suite more than once and it was always served course by course (as suggested by our butler).

After all, isn't that the way one eats in the dining room? Otherwise your entrée would/could get cold by the time you finish your appetizer (unless you rush). French onion soup comes to mind - by the time it is cool enough to eat your entrée would be cold for sure.

If we had been told that it was not possible to have it served course by course, we would have accepted that and understood but it was more special served course by course (just like it would be in the dining room).

You are assuming that everyone who is in a suite is dining in every night and all of them at the same time :eek:

Yes, they do have to work hard when they have to serve more than one suite at a time but they can stagger it and also can get help from butlers that are not as busy.

After all, the wait staff in the dining room serve several tables at the same time with quite a few guests and they mange it just fine; they too have to "run" into and out of the kitchen all night long from 6:30 till whatever time they finish.

It's all very hard work that few of us would be willing to do and they do it with grace and a smile (most of the time :)).

Archived