Snow in Denali

Sumar76

Well, I am scheduled to go on a Denali Tour May 17th...and even tho I know this is far off, the weather channel is predicting snow then. Well, 60% chance.

About 60% I'd like on that day.

Would the trip be cancelled? Or would I just have to do the NHT ?

Your "tour" will only go to mile 29 at the most (you can drive that far for free on your own!). The road can close due to snow, even back to mile 3. But usually this time of year the road doesn't close for the entire day. But you never know.

Weather predictions for Alaska more than a day or two in advance are pure guesses.

Your "tour" will only go to mile 29 at the most (you can drive that far for free on your own!). The road can close due to snow, even back to mile 3. But usually this time of year the road doesn't close for the entire day. But you never know.

Weather predictions for Alaska more than a day or two in advance are pure guesses.

We are staying at the Princess lodge in Denali. Where can you rent a car that is close?

The weather in Alaska is situational and can change often. Snow in can be quite pleasant. I've done winter camping which is admittedly a special situation.

I would carry on with the idea that whatever weather you get will be just fine and enjoy your trip. You can't change the weather, but you can change how you feel about it.

OK, I just checked the forecast no they are talking about rain/snow. It is supposed to be 33/49 on that day so any snow would fall overnight and in the morning. By the afternoon it will be gone. Also, they are talking about showers So, it should not be a big problem.

I still hold to my statement that any forecasts this far out are pretty much pure guesses in Alaska, and even moreso in Denali NP. One website is saying 29 low and 56 high for May 17, which is quite a bit different than AKman stated.

I like Penny's attitude - you are going to be there, who cares what the weather will be. My attitude toward it can change, but I can't change the weather. So go with the flow.

It's still 7 days away. It was 60 degrees here in Anchorage today. Even if it does snow in Denali next weekend it's not gonna be enough to close the road. Your tour will go on and life will be good. Don't worry about it.

I still hold to my statement that any forecasts this far out are pretty much pure guesses in Alaska, and even moreso in Denali NP. One website is saying 29 low and 56 high for May 17, which is quite a bit different than AKman stated.

I like Penny's attitude - you are going to be there, who cares what the weather will be. My attitude toward it can change, but I can't change the weather. So go with the flow.

I prefer the snow in actual fact because if means that the bug situation won't be so active.

Well that is until the folks at Denali NP posted a photo on FB showing a mosquito on snow! Perhaps they have ice skates or boots on their little feet.

I prefer the snow in actual fact because if means that the bug situation won't be so active.

Well that is until the folks at Denali NP posted a photo on FB showing a mosquito on snow! Perhaps they have ice skates or boots on their little feet.

If southern skeeters can put up with hurricane force winds then I'm sure their northern cousins are probably up for playing in the snow. LOL! Good thing I packed the repellent regardless of people promising me the bugs aren't bad this time of year. ROFL!

I just got back from Denali after stopping there on a drive from Fairbanks (live in Anchorage) and the Park road is plowed and driveable but there is still quite a bit of snow, more than I have ever seen at this time of year. It was quite the topic of conversation among the workers. The rivers are still frozen so quite a few tours will be canceled. They don't think they'll be doing any rafting or ATV trips until mid June. When I was there it snowed in the evening.

The rivers are still frozen so quite a few tours will be canceled. They don't think they'll be doing any rafting or ATV trips until mid June. When I was there it snowed in the evening.

We were hoping to do the Canyon Run white water rafting while there on 6/3. Guess now we'll be doing the Homestead Huskies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived