Maasdam In Halifax

zoomer1956

I loved Halifax. Great lobster off the boardwalk.:D

We're looking forward to our upcoming stop in Halifax for our usual lobster lunch. :) We love that port.

We're looking forward to our upcoming stop in Halifax for our usual lobster lunch. :) We love that port.

I'm boarding in Montreal June 1st and would like to know the details about the "usual lobster lunch".

Do you think the lobster actually tastes better in New England? While in Alaska last year I had King Crab legs at the Crab Shack in one of the ports that people had raved about. They were good but not any better than I make myself or get at top seafood restaurants here in Chicago. Maybe it's the ambiance of the port that makes you feel you are getting the "best".

Regardless, I am looking forward to lobsters, lobster bisque, lobster rolls, and any other lobster treats i can find while there next month! :D

So this means we'll be there two weeks from today. One of my favorite places.

The photo reminds me of one I had on Webshots (a site that was sold and didn't transfer over the existing photos) of the QM 2 coming into that same terminal. When I go to Halifax by myself (with the wife it's first class), I stay at the Dalhousie University dorms, a high rise with a great view of the harbor. I made sure I got photos of the QM2 approaching. As she got close to the pier, here came Theodore Tugboat! Theodore started circling the ship and I got a few good shots. One of them was on Webshots which, at the time, sent you a weekly report on how many people had viewed your photos. Over time, the number on this photo got into the THOUSANDS. I guess it was a combination of people searching for images of the QM2, Halifax, Theodore, etc. If you don't know who Theodore tugboat is, he's the Canadian Broadcasting equivilant of Thomas The Tank Engine, a yellow tugboat with a face and big eyes. He sits, as a full size boat, on the boardwalk near the cruiseport and sells rides. At least that was happening the last time I was in Halifax.

So this means we'll be there two weeks from today. One of my favorite places.

The photo reminds me of one I had on Webshots (a site that was sold and didn't transfer over the existing photos) of the QM 2 coming into that same terminal. When I go to Halifax by myself (with the wife it's first class), I stay at the Dalhousie University dorms, a high rise with a great view of the harbor. I made sure I got photos of the QM2 approaching. As she got close to the pier, here came Theodore Tugboat! Theodore started circling the ship and I got a few good shots. One of them was on Webshots which, at the time, sent you a weekly report on how many people had viewed your photos. Over time, the number on this photo got into the THOUSANDS. I guess it was a combination of people searching for images of the QM2, Halifax, Theodore, etc. If you don't know who Theodore tugboat is, he's the Canadian Broadcasting equivilant of Thomas The Tank Engine, a yellow tugboat with a face and big eyes. He sits, as a full size boat, on the boardwalk near the cruiseport and sells rides. At least that was happening the last time I was in Halifax.

Here's Theo, by the ferry terminal

theo.jpg.a4465dddb71ca321147d0448a5fc6f8c.jpg

I'm boarding in Montreal June 1st and would like to know the details about the "usual lobster lunch".

Do you think the lobster actually tastes better in New England? While in Alaska last year I had King Crab legs at the Crab Shack in one of the ports that people had raved about. They were good but not any better than I make myself or get at top seafood restaurants here in Chicago. Maybe it's the ambiance of the port that makes you feel you are getting the "best".

Regardless, I am looking forward to lobsters, lobster bisque, lobster rolls, and any other lobster treats i can find while there next month! :D

Yes, I think lobster tastes better in New England and Atlantic Canada. :) We live in Boston.

Yes, I think lobster tastes better in New England and Atlantic Canada. :) We live in Boston.

Well, are you going to share the name of the spot for the lobster or keep it a secret? If necessary, I'll trade you the names of three places for the best prime steaks in Chicago!:D:D:D

Mmmmm... stop making me drool. :p We had those PEI mussels at Water Prince Corner Shop... that and the chowder. Crazy good.

Thanks! Duly noted and I look forward to stopping there. Now, Mamaofami and Sail, how about the places for those lobsters?;)

Thanks! Duly noted and I look forward to stopping there. Now, Mamaofami and Sail, how about the places for those lobsters?;)

Yep, it's in Charlottetown, easy, easy walking distance from the dock. Check out their website. Just google the name. :)

Mmmmm... stop making me drool. :p We had those PEI mussels at Water Prince Corner Shop... that and the chowder. Crazy good.

We love the mussels there. :)

It's a tiny place with only a handful of tables on the sidewalk and few inside but they make wonderful mussels. :)

The walk there is ten minutes or less and the people who run it are very nice. :)

Well, are you going to share the name of the spot for the lobster or keep it a secret? If necessary, I'll trade you the names of three places for the best prime steaks in Chicago!

Thanks! Duly noted and I look forward to stopping there. Now, Mamaofami and Sail, how about the places for those lobsters?

These posts scare me to recommend. :eek: ... particularly the part I underlined.

I'd feel awful if I named a place or two and you didn't enjoy it.

I have always been very reluctant to recommend restaurants as food is so subjective. Lobsters are costly and when we get large steamed lobsters, it can add up to a decent sized check.

I don't want it to be my fault if you don't think the lobster to your taste. :o

I even hesitated about agreeing about Prince and Water for the mussels but they are more reasonable and I've yet to hear anyone who didn't enjoy the mussels so it felt 'safer' to me.

I honestly don't remember the name of the restaurant we had lobster in in Halifax. I know we looked on trip Advisor and the Canada board on CC for some recommendations. We went down the boardwalk a good while, past an ice cream establishment and then picked a place on the right on the water.

I just remembered that I had lobster in every port on the New England/Canada cruise except for Sydney, Montreal, and Quebec. And, I did a back to back so stopped for lobster up and down the coast.I didn't have a bad one, but I order at least 1 3/4 pound and sometimes more. I think the bigger ones are sweeter, and I never use butter.

I just remembered that I had lobster in every port on the New England/Canada cruise except for Sydney, Montreal, and Quebec. And, I did a back to back so stopped for lobster up and down the coast.I didn't have a bad one, but I order at least 1 3/4 pound and sometimes more. I think the bigger ones are sweeter, and I never use butter.

Ditto. :)

DH always gets a large lobster.

I never use butter. :)

Lobsters have to be one pound or law says they have to thrown back.

Same as Carol, we do not have seafood in Sydney, Montreal or Quebec but in every other port.

Archived