Favorite Foods on Princess

Luckysll

My favorites:

The Toasted Almond Martini

I wanted to try that one, but there were so many other new ones I tried and liked that I never got that far down the list.

Chairman of the Board and Japanese Slipper were just 2 of my new faves.

Joanie

• 3 months later...

This is such a great thread! We were on a 7-night Alaska cruise last month, and I managed to only gain three pounds..... considered myself exceedingly lucky, since I ate my way through the cruise, lol.

Totally agree with the posters who loved the pizza.... magnificent on the Sapphire last month.... We had it on Lido deck..... soooo yummy with the thin crust. I could have eaten it morning, noon, and night, but there were so many other things to try!

The tiramisu and creme brulee were wonderful. It was "unfortunate" that creme brulee was one of the always-available options, because it kept me from trying some of the other desserts that I've seen mentioned and pictured here. Next time!

I didn't see anybody talk about the chicken fajitas at the Santa Fe dining room. That was a restaurant-specific dish, and they were great.

If I could change anything about the dining on the Sapphire I would wish that the dining rooms had menus that reflected their names.... Pacific Moon, Savoy, and Santa Fe. While the food was excellent, and they did each have an entree that was specific to them, I would have liked more dishes that reflected their suggested theme.

I'm taking notes on what to try when we sail on the Ruby Princess in March of next year. Can't WAIT!!

If I could change anything about the dining on the Sapphire I would wish that the dining rooms had menus that reflected their names.... Pacific Moon, Savoy, and Santa Fe. While the food was excellent, and they did each have an entree that was specific to them, I would have liked more dishes that reflected their suggested theme.
They originally did have separate menus but that did not last long. Probably made logistics in the shared kitchens too difficult. I believe that the one dish in each of the four DRs is a holdover from the original menus.

I didn't see anybody talk about the chicken fajitas at the Santa Fe dining room. That was a restaurant-specific dish, and they were great.

Based on what I've read that was how they originally operated before changing to the current system.

Each dining room has it's own specialty dish but have read they can also be ordered in the other MDRs.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Based on what I've read that was how they originally operated before changing to the current system.

Each dining room has it's own specialty dish but have read they can also be ordered in the other MDRs.

In each dining room our server simply told us what the special dish was. I don't know how I would have known what the special dishes were in the other restaurants, unless he would have told us if asked. I'm not complaining, as we were more than satisfied with the menus. On DCL the menus are the same in all the restaurants. I suppose that's pretty standard. I can understand the logistic challenges of feeding that many people every day.

Some standouts for me:

- Broiled lobster/shrimp

- Banana Cream Pie

- Chicken Korma and Lamb Curry on the lunch menus

- Waldorf Chicken Salad from the IC

- The Filet from Bayou Cafe on Island/Coral

- Pizza

There are sooo many things.

I must be the only person who has sailed on Princess who doesn't care for the Fettuccine Alfredo, with or without the bowl. I've had it twice and found it to be 'gummy', which is why I tried it the second time. I thought that the first time was just an off night. That's OK, not everyone likes everything. My DIL LOVED the Fettuccine and had it every night. I'm very fond of the lamb and the lobster tails and shrimp. Actually, I love any seafood they serve.

On my last Princess cruise on the CB they had both escargot and the goat cheese souffle for an appetizer, but only one night each. If there is something you really like you can always speak with the head waiter and he can pre-order it for you, but please give him a day.

I must be the only person who has sailed on Princess who doesn't care for the Fettuccine Alfredo, with or without the bowl. I've had it twice and found it to be 'gummy'

You're not alone because the few times I've had it my experiences were the same as yours.

Most nights I greatly enjoy the daily pasta...something I've done since my 1st "Princess" cruise on Sitmar in 1988. ;)

In each dining room our server simply told us what the special dish was. I don't know how I would have known what the special dishes were in the other restaurants, unless he would have told us if asked.

It's been about 18 months since I was on the Sapphire & as I recall the nightly "special" was the same in each MDR & it would be listed on the menu shown outside of each dining room. It was fajitas, Asian noodles, pork chop & a 4th entree that I don't recall. :o

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thoroughly enjoy all the sorbets with the exception of the pink grapefruit...

Porcini mushroom and French onion soups

Gambieri Fra Alla Diavolo or is it Alla Fra Diavolo? (Cajun shrimp on rice)

Crawfish etouffe (sp???)

Scallops

Chicken salad, Greek/Mediterranean salad, shrimp salad, served in the International Café

Any curry dish

Hot pizza in Alfredo's

Lobster

Lamb chops

Morning coffee after my power walk on the Promenade deck (followed by granola yogurt in the IC)

Crème brulee

The spaghetti and meatballs from the kids menu is soooo good! Also if they're making the penne arrabiatta..the whole dining room will smell so good! I got the recipe from a table captain 20 yrs ago and it is a staple in our home.

Would u share penne recipe???

You're not alone because the few times I've had it my experiences were the same as yours.

Most nights I greatly enjoy the daily pasta...something I've done since my 1st "Princess" cruise on Sitmar in 1988. ;)

Thank you astro. I feel redeemed.

It's been about 18 months since I was on the Sapphire & as I recall the nightly "special" was the same in each MDR & it would be listed on the menu shown outside of each dining room. It was fajitas, Asian noodles, pork chop & a 4th entree that I don't recall. :o

Hmmm. Here I thought they at least made the special fit the theme of the restaurant... guess not! It was just coincidental that I hit the fajitas in Santa Fe, the Asian noodles in Pacific Moon, and the pork chop in Savoy. I stand corrected. Seems odd they wouldn't simply put the things on the menus you get when you sit down if they're the same in each restaurant. One of life's little mysteries I guess :)

We have only done Princess once. I had read so much about the pasta Alfredo and the sweet soufflés that I just had to try them. I'm afraid that I was disappointed with both :(. Like some others here, I found the pasta gloopy and thought that the soufflés were too eggy - perhaps we just got a chef who didn't do these dishes too well. We certainly didn't go hungry though!

We where on the Sapphire twice in 2011. At that time, the special item was not posted and all four were available. The special dish in Vivaldi was Osso Buco. They may have changed their practice last year, but that was our experience in 2011.

Escargot and Rack of lamb. Recently took a RCL boat to Europe they did not have escargot because of the world wide shortage?? They substituted baby scallops in the pan. They were awful!!

Our first stop in Europe was in Provence. Next night we had escargot they were great.

Saw the chief latter and he said there was no shortage just a cost issue. Once they got to Europe they were far less expensive than in the US and he was able to obtain them.

We where on the Sapphire twice in 2011. At that time, the special item was not posted and all four were available. The special dish in Vivaldi was Osso Buco. They may have changed their practice last year, but that was our experience in 2011.

Thanks Brian for the 4th item...how can an Italian forget Osso Bucco in the Vivaldi diningroom. :eek: :o

Edited by Astro Flyer

Were all four available in all four restaurants? Thye only told us about one in each restaurant we visited. We didn't go to Vivaldi as we ate earlier than Vivaldi opened to Anytime diners.

Edited by kayaker35

Were all four available in all four restaurants? Thye only told us about one in each restaurant we visited. We didn't go to Vivaldi as we ate earlier than Vivaldi opened to Anytime diners.
I think DW ordered the Frajitas in the Pacific Moon. DW liked the Asian dish (tempura?) and might have ordered that in the Savoy