Is the complaining more fun than the cruise?

swsfrail

[quote name='NLH Arizona'] I think someone can have an awful cruise, even though I never had, due to their expectations and if they critique the cruise, it might not be pretty, but is their right to post it negative or not without being flamed for their opinion.[/QUOTE]Yes, you and I agree about how to read the reviews and filter out the extremes! But I'd also say that often on here, when someone replies to a negative (or positive) post with a different experience, they are accused of flaming even when the reply is rather tame. Learning to agree to disagree, and not getting too defensive (I am perfect, and have NEVER gotten defensive:rolleyes:) are keys to civil discussion. I am (mostly) good at this...:p

Andrew

[quote name='swsfrail']

Think about it - we are on a cruise ship, probably the best vacation value for the money on the planet. We are surrounded by luxuriously decorated floating resorts, full of happy people, visiting new and exciting places, all the while being taken care of by attendants who cook, serve and clean up after us. The most difficult decision we will encounter for duration of the cruise is what to choose on the evening's menu.

... That we are cruising means we are luckier than the majority of the people from even our own countries, much less from all the places in the world. :D

[/QUOTE]

I love your post. Thank you! I think I would dearly love to be put at your table on a cruise. And I went to school in NH so we'd have plenty to talk about.

Contentment is a state of mind. That doesn't mean real problems don't exist even on a cruise, but given the problems of this world, if you're on a cruise, especially a Celebrity cruise, life is good. I try to be thankful & look for ways to bless others.

[quote name='Blazerboy']Yes, you and I agree about how to read the reviews and filter out the extremes! But I'd also say that often on here, when someone replies to a negative (or positive) post with a different experience, they are accused of flaming even when the reply is rather tame. Learning to agree to disagree, and not getting too defensive (I am perfect, and have NEVER gotten defensive:rolleyes:) are keys to civil discussion. I am (mostly) good at this...:p

Andrew[/quote]
I don't have a problem if some were to say: my experience was X and differs from yours because of ....., but when they tell posters that they are exaggerating or didn't have the experience they posted about, then that is flaming. I might not agree with someone, but feel that they have just as much right as I have to voice their opinion or disagreement as long as it is in a civil manner.

[quote name='CathyCruises']$49 was the per day per person cost of the cruise. I can't charge the cruiseline for my flights and hotels!! Neither can I stay in ANY hotel with unlimited dining and entertainment for $49/day!

I just did the math. 15 night cruise cost including taxes, flight to Fort Lauderdale, one night pre-cruise stay, return from Rome to San Francisco = $111.33/pp/day. Yes, I AM sure I didn't mean $490!![/quote]

Hey you! Diane just went out and bought a Mexican Train set, we are addicted! It would have been a fantastic cruise even if it WAS more money. I have always said there are a LOT of people who just do NOT believe the prices we pay. :rolleyes:

I was talking to a couple on Infinity two years ago who scoffed that I paid one FOURTH what they did, so I told them to go online and see for themselves. I saw them at debark where they thanked me, because they had cancelled their flight from FLL back to California, and booked the B2B 14 day return back through the Canal. :)

[quote name='2morecruises']Now about that spot of rust ..... as soon as I walked into my stateroom I immediately noticed it on the ........ Oh ! Never mind. I apologize. Got confused between my old Navy days on CVN68 (Nimitz) & Celebrity's Reflection. :D[/quote]

Fellow swabbie, when were you on Nimitz? I spent a lifetime there one year! :eek: :p ;)

I don't think anyone thinks valid complaints shouldn't be made. If something is wrong (cold food, a sticky door, a clogged drain), well yes, it should be pointed out [I]at the time[/I] so it can be made right. More often than not, it will be, and in a timely manner. But, if I read the OP correctly, and most of the people who have commented, they are talking about the people who board the ship, virtually with arms crossed and foot already tapping, just looking for something, anything, to complain about. A bit of rust on the balcony, a slightly worn area on the carpet, the silverware not quite lined up perfectly...those sorts of sorrows are not worthy of note or comment. Yes, if a ship is showing it's age, perhaps it's something to mention in a review, but not worth the angst that some people seem to suffer from. (as in, "I will never set foot on ### cruiseline again!")
A valid critique can mention that a dish was served not to the diner's liking, but if the issue was rectified after being pointed out, that should also be noted. If a problem wasn't pointed out at the time, so that it could have been fixed, well, suck it up, Buttercup. The time to bring it up isn't on the last day or after the cruise.

I must be missing something....not unusual at my age. There are apparently many who think that there is nothing one should complain about or even comment negatively about on their cruise because "a day on a cruise is like a day in heaven" (pardon my paraphrase of many different ways folks have said that). Then we have some that say if food is cold, doors don't open, the safe doesn't work, then it's ok to "bring it to their attention"...and perhaps (not clear from the posts) it's ok to mention those things here.....or isn't it?

Are some of the folks posting to this thread suggesting that there should be no negative comments in reviews or in the celebrity forum?

I just haven't seen that many (actually very few) posters who have posted negative only comments...and almost all of those have been based on some serious problem on the ship (or at least I could understand why they might have found it a serious problem...eg. no vegetarian menu/dishes).

Or would everyone agree that commenting on things that went wrong...along with comments about things that went right or how celebrity resolved the issue quickly is appropriate both here and in the reviews......ro should cruise critic ban anyone who makes a negative comment.

At the risk of being banned....although we will only book aqua now because we like the ambience and quiet of Blu instead of the much noisier, busier MDR, I find the crudites in Blu incredibly boring since they never ever change....you get the same three dishes of things every single night. Ok....maybe I now should be banished....

Since you don't think a critic need be negative or pass on unfavourable judgment; should the movie critic say a movie is great even though it sucks, should the restaurant critic say the food is fantastic when it is not, should a cruise passenger say everything was hunky dory when things went wrong. A critique should be an honest assesment of what they are judging. Everyone has different opinions, expectations, etc., so you can find two people on the same cruise, same movie or same restaurant and both walk away with different opinions. Neither person is incorrect, it is just how they see things. I for one whan honesty in the reviews, not sugar coated reviews that are not honest.

That's not what I said, nor is it what I was trying to convey. A (restaurant, movie, cruise...) critic should judge the merits and report accordingly, both good and bad. However, some critics seem to feel that it is their role in life to find only negatives, whether or not they exist. It was in this context that I said that a critic "need not be negative or pass an unfavourable judgement", but I certainly wasn't implying that the critic shouldn't make a negative comment if it is warranted.

At the risk of being banned....although we will only book aqua now because we like the ambience and quiet of Blu instead of the much noisier, busier MDR, I find the crudites in Blu incredibly boring since they never ever change....you get the same three dishes of things every single night. Ok....maybe I now should be banished....

You are not alone about the crudities, and we've been in AQ a grand total of 17 nights. Love the ambiance, adore the staff, and that bread basket more than makes up for the not-so-crisp veggies and blah dip. After the first night, our double shrimp cocktails magically appeared as soon as we were seated. (Why is the same 'ol shrimp, night after night, not the same as those crudities?)

That's what I think the OP was getting at. There are a few who wail and keen about similar disappointments. Also, (not picking on you, you are merely convenient), to say my cruise was pert near perfect is neither an exaggeration nor an opinion to be dismissed.

My sisters and I were not raised by the same parents. I think they did a darn good job; one sister has never forgiven them for some nonsense like unscientific potty training, while the other thinks they should have demanded more of us. OK- this is not about my family, but to illustrate how perception and attitude are everything. We can "write" our lives in either direction.

Same with cruise reviews. I was reluctant first timer, yet the moment I saw the ship, I felt like a little kid back at Fort Ticonderoga. I wanted to scamper from below to topside, from stem to stern. Every corner I turned revealed another amazing surprise. I nearly overdosed on sailaway. When we went to bed, I didn't even want to sleep. The gentle (or not) movement and the swish-swish music as she sliced through the swells. I was in heaven.

OR...... I crossed the gangplank, and they handed us a glass of sparkling swill. Then, you had to bolt it down before you could get on the elevator. I was shocked to discover we had to haul our hand luggage about with us. Why aren't our cabins ready? The Oceanview Cafe was a joke. I paid that kind of money for cafeteria food? I couldn't believe the stampede, the pushing and shoving for food. Surely Celebrity can do better than that.

Next we went up to the Sunset Bar. I promptly kicked the ashtray across the large, low round table, and would you believe it? Two obnoxious American women sat down and lit their cigarets!

OK- the smoking thing didn't happen to us, but we watched it played out. The woman who kicked the ashtray was furious, and you know people have come on here and moaned ad nauseum about less.

Criticism is not equal to p***ing and moaning about every little detail, it is an analysis, usually done by someone with expertise in the field. The script is literary genius, and the director's innovative interpretation of the protagonist is brilliantly performed by Jane Doe. The musical selections detracted from what would have been powerful moments if .... yada yada yada. (I was a critic in a former life. :p )

Libray Lady's review of the Reflection is the ideal example of criticism, in the purest sense of the word. Yes, there are drawbacks and a few things that don't work for her, but overall, it was well worth the price of admission.

After our last cruise, I didn't pounce on Celebrity. Had something been terribly unsatisfactory, I would have addressed it on board. Instead, I wrote that it sure would be nice if they'd do more 7-night European cruises, like Royal does, with alternating itineraries. That way, you could have 14 nights, and I could have 7 nights at sea, and 7 on land. Hence, we're cruising on Royal this year, and I will board Splendour of the Seas expecting the best.

OK- done rambling. I've been made quite aware by some that newcomers haven't assimilated enough experience to have a valid opinion.

I appreciate and respect swfrail's analytical post. I also find some of the dramatic complaints highly entertaining.

Again, not picking on you gstudio. You are one of the old timers whose opinions and observations I respect. ;)

That's not what I said, nor is it what I was trying to convey. A (restaurant, movie, cruise...) critic should judge the merits and report accordingly, both good and bad. However, some critics seem to feel that it is their role in life to find only negatives, whether or not they exist. It was in this context that I said that a critic "need not be negative or pass an unfavourable judgement", but I certainly wasn't implying that the critic shouldn't make a negative comment if it is warranted.

Best to just ignore those that only want to find fault. Sometimes I think we give them what they want by responding back to them or flaming them.

You are not alone about the crudities, and we've been in AQ a grand total of 17 nights. Love the ambiance, adore the staff, and that bread basket more than makes up for the not-so-crisp veggies and blah dip. After the first night, our double shrimp cocktails magically appeared as soon as we were seated. (Why is the same 'ol shrimp, night after night, not the same as those crudities?)

That's what I think the OP was getting at. There are a few who wail and keen about similar disappointments. Also, (not picking on you, you are merely convenient), to say my cruise was pert near perfect is neither an exaggeration nor an opinion to be dismissed.

My sisters and I were not raised by the same parents. I think they did a darn good job; one sister has never forgiven them for some nonsense like unscientific potty training, while the other thinks they should have demanded more of us. OK- this is not about my family, but to illustrate how perception and attitude are everything. We can "write" our lives in either direction.

Same with cruise reviews. I was reluctant first timer, yet the moment I saw the ship, I felt like a little kid back at Fort Ticonderoga. I wanted to scamper from below to topside, from stem to stern. Every corner I turned revealed another amazing surprise. I nearly overdosed on sailaway. When we went to bed, I didn't even want to sleep. The gentle (or not) movement and the swish-swish music as she sliced through the swells. I was in heaven.

OR...... I crossed the gangplank, and they handed us a glass of sparkling swill. Then, you had to bolt it down before you could get on the elevator. I was shocked to discover we had to haul our hand luggage about with us. Why aren't our cabins ready? The Oceanview Cafe was a joke. I paid that kind of money for cafeteria food? I couldn't believe the stampede, the pushing and shoving for food. Surely Celebrity can do better than that.

Next we went up to the Sunset Bar. I promptly kicked the ashtray across the large, low round table, and would you believe it? Two obnoxious American women sat down and lit their cigarets!

OK- the smoking thing didn't happen to us, but we watched it played out. The woman who kicked the ashtray was furious, and you know people have come on here and moaned ad nauseum about less.

Criticism is not equal to p***ing and moaning about every little detail, it is an analysis, usually done by someone with expertise in the field. The script is literary genius, and the director's innovative interpretation of the protagonist is brilliantly performed by Jane Doe. The musical selections detracted from what would have been powerful moments if .... yada yada yada. (I was a critic in a former life. :p )

Libray Lady's review of the Reflection is the ideal example of criticism, in the purest sense of the word. Yes, there are drawbacks and a few things that don't work for her, but overall, it was well worth the price of admission.

After our last cruise, I didn't pounce on Celebrity. Had something been terribly unsatisfactory, I would have addressed it on board. Instead, I wrote that it sure would be nice if they'd do more 7-night European cruises, like Royal does, with alternating itineraries. That way, you could have 14 nights, and I could have 7 nights at sea, and 7 on land. Hence, we're cruising on Royal this year, and I will board Splendour of the Seas expecting the best.

OK- done rambling. I've been made quite aware by some that newcomers haven't assimilated enough experience to have a valid opinion.

I appreciate and respect swfrail's analytical post. I also find some of the dramatic complaints highly entertaining.

Again, not picking on you gstudio. You are one of the old timers whose opinions and observations I respect. ;)

Hip hip hooray!! A voice of reason! The best post of the thread!

Archived