They were right...I was WOW'D!!-Freedom of the Seas

This is my review of our Eastern cruise on the Carnival Dream…oh wait, that’s not right, we didn’t go on the Carnival Dream…we were on the beautiful Freedom of the Seas! How in the world could I have confused the two? Of course they both sail from Port Canaveral, but who could mistake the Royal Caribbean with Carnival?

That’s because we were originally booked on the Carnival Dream May 4 th Eastern sailing. So what happened for us to “jump ship” and go on the Freedom instead?

This is how it all started...

The later part of 2012 my dear hubby, Ken and I decided we were way over due for a cruise. You see, normally we like to take a cruise twice per year; once in the spring around March-April-May and once in November usually the week after Thanksgiving. BUT, in 2012 we didn’t take one single cruise. I know, hard to believe, but oh so true. Instead, our focus was on growing our family. Sadly due to fertility issues, we put a lot of our “vacation funds” into fertility treatments and IVF from 2010-2011. To make a long story short, we did two IVF attempts resulting in pregnancies both times which sadly ended in miscarriages both times. The last miscarriage was in Oct of 2011. We took all of 2012 off from the treatments, but didn’t have the ability to take a “REAL” vacation instead just did little weekend trips here and there so not to take any additional time off work or spend the $$ we just didn’t have. SO yeah, we desperately needed a vacation.

About us...

Here is a good time to tell you a little more about who we are. I’m Lynn, he’s Ken and we live in the Carolina’s. I say that because although we reside in South Carolina, we are just a hop-skip-and-a-jump from North Carolina. We both actually work in Charlotte, NC and my office is a mere 13 miles from my house. Get the idea?

KenLynnCarnival079_zps109cc443.jpg

Ken has been on over a dozen cruises, and several of the different lines out there. He introduced me to the world of cruising in 2007 when we started dating and I have been hooked ever since. We married in 2008

and have two fur babies,

Savannah (Below)

DSC00012_zpse718a2f5.jpg

And Dixie (Below)

DSC00009_zps69859be9.jpg

As mentioned, we have no children, yet…but we are praying that changes before our next cruise.

Anyway, back to the cruise planning. We had a wonderful couple in our Sunday school class who we do a lot of things with like going out to

dinners and having them over to watch Super Bowl games and cook outs, etc and they have NEVER been on a cruise before. In hearing all about our adventures on the high seas, they wanted to do a cruise with us

since we were veterans. Money was kind of tight for them, so we looked at the most economical choices for both them and us and settle on the Carnival Dream for a few reasons. 1) We had already sailed her, and

although we weren’t that impressed with her, it was a larger ship located at a close enough port that the four of us could easily drive to. 2) The Eastern itinerary was at a price point that was doable for them. 3) Carnival was offering a 50% off deposit at the time. So…we booked, or at least Ken and I did. Our friends kind of started acting wishy-washy and kept delaying booking their cabin. Eventually the 50% deposit offer dropped off and the cruise price soared and they backed out.

Flash forward a couple months, and I call my TA to make a payment on our cruise. I got a different rep at the agency that I use and she was making small talk about “I see you are on the Dream, you will love her.”

I told her flat out that we had been on her and we only booked in hopes of having another couple join us. She then said, “would you be open to going on another ship, possibly a Royal Caribbean?” I of course told

her that it all depended on the ramifications of cancelling the Carnival cruise, what port the other cruise was sailing out of and the dates and itinerary. When she mentioned the Freedom my interest was peaked!

I’ve always wanted to sail on her since she debuted. When she told me there was only a one day difference, basically the same itinerary with the exception of Nassau and the cost would only be $40 more, TOTAL…I instructed her to make the necessary change. And that is how we ended up on this beautiful ship.

So, the following is going to be my in-depth review of our cruise on the Freedom of the Seas.

Thanks to those on cruise critic like gambee, bionicman97, and KansCocoa (just to name a few) whose reviews I absolutely love…I’m going to ATTEMPT to do a review similar to theirs, which is something that I have never done on CC before. So, I hope that you enjoy mine as much as I have enjoyed theirs and the others like!

I have taken over 900 photos this trip, of course many were duplicates so I have to filter through them, but I will be back to share my cruise with you.

So love your fur babies and I hope you get more babies very soon. Will really enjoy reading your review as I am going on Indy next month and it will be our first 'freedom' class ship sailing so keep the review coming :D

Woot!

I'm in!

Thank you for the shout-out; I'm glad my Freedom review was helpful! I loved this ship - and I'm glad you did, too! Can't wait to read the rest of the review and to see the pictures! :)

Looking forward to your review

Me too, I loved Freedom back in 2008 and would love to see how she looks today. I've been on Allure twice, Majesty twice and soon to be Jewel twice. I would love to go back on Freedom again, I think the only thing stopping me was the Port Canaveral location, but I'm up for trying it.

Me too, I loved Freedom back in 2008 and would love to see how she looks today. I've been on Allure twice, Majesty twice and soon to be Jewel twice. I would love to go back on Freedom again, I think the only thing stopping me was the Port Canaveral location, but I'm up for trying it.

Want to try a Freedom class ship sometime too!

Allure and Majesty each once, and have Serenade this July!

Looking forward to this review!

Oh! I SO want to do Freedom! But DH is a worship pastor and so two Sundays in a row are very hard for him to get away. (On his part! loves his job! :p) Our next cruise, Enchantment, we are taking our dear friends (the pastor, wife & kids) with us for their first cruise!

Can't wait to read your review!

:D Subscribed! You are both beautiful! :D

Thank you so much. That picture was actually taken on the Carnival Dream back in 2011.

That is truly a beautiful picture of you both. I'm praying that the babies are in the near future. I'm looking forward to your review.

Thank you and more importantly, thank you for your prayers!

Looking forward to your review

Thank you. I hope that you enjoy it as it goes.

So love your fur babies and I hope you get more babies very soon. Will really enjoy reading your review as I am going on Indy next month and it will be our first 'freedom' class ship sailing so keep the review coming :D

Thank you! They are really our "babies" for sure and they get spoiled. I'm sure you will truly enjoy IOS since it is the sister to FOS.

Keep us posted ! If you loved the Eastern cruise, sometime try Freedoms Western Caribbean. It's our favorite cruise. Good luck with the babies !

Thank you so much :) I am trying to talk DH into doing the Western itinerary again, especially through RCCL because of Labadee, but he is just not wanting to do Mexico at all! Eastern has been our favorite port for so very long.

We did the Eastern Caribbean on Freedom last month. Hope you enjoyed her as much as we did. Looking forward to reading your review and remembering our own cruise!

Wasn't she a beautiful ship? I'm sure that the feeling is mutual for most who sail on her.

Woot!

I'm in!

Thank you for the shout-out; I'm glad my Freedom review was helpful! I loved this ship - and I'm glad you did, too! Can't wait to read the rest of the review and to see the pictures! :)

Well hello there! So glad you popped in here to my review. I LOVED your review of Freedom and went back to it several times in preparation for this cruise. Of course, I also loved your Allure cruise...now if only I could convince my hubby to let me do a solo cruise, but that's not likely to happen. He might let me do a girlfriend cruise though...

Sounds like you are a very special couple and if you are in a Sunday School class you know the story of Hannah!

Looking forward to hearing more.

Oh yes, I know the story of Hannah very well, but my favorite is Sarah. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Looking forward to your review.

We were booked for Oct 5 on the Dream and rebooked the Oct 6 FOS instead. This will be our first time back with RCCL after a few years on CCL.

Oh, you made the right choice with Freedom! I just know that you will love her. I hope that my review makes you even more eager (if that's possible) to sail her.

Thanks for bringing us along on your cruise adventure. I can't wait to board this ship in November and do another live trip report too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Hi there! Thanks for joining me on reliving this wonderful trip.

Less than a month until we sail! I can't wait!

Oh luck you! Do you have room in your luggage to let me go along with you? I would love to go again that soon, but right now it looks like next April for us.

Thank you for the Honorable mention :), glad I found your review. Now lets see what that camera is capable off :D

You are most welcome! I hope you don't mind the "shout out". I love this camera, but I know my picture quality won't come anywhere near as close to yours. I will have to do some shopping around for some more lenses.

Archived