Dining Room Ettiquette

Charxu

If the dining room has a view out toward something interesting (the sea, park, mountains, skyline), then the lady is seated facing the view. If the table is not by the window, then the view is toward the dining room or entrance.

I don't see anything antiquated about the word "Lady". I hope our world hasn't sunk that low yet.

I agree with you 100% Eriksgarden. :)

In traditional dining with a well trained staff that learns the passengers likes and dislikes, the waitor will set the table up with each passengers preferences: seat A will have ice tea waiting, seat b will have the glass of milk, a child's place will have the child sized utensils and sippy cup (we would bring with us and the staff kept them and cleaned them for the cruise duration, seat d will have the coffee cup and soy milk, etc.

Changing the seats messes up the service. It is the custom on a cruise to maintain the same seats for the duration of the cruise.

This makes sense to me. But other than this reasoning and etiqutte (which seems to be an afterthought these days), does it really matter where one sits?

I know this may sound like a crazy question but last week we were on a cruise and some people at our table changed chairs each night. This upset others at the table and one of the guests was told that there is dining room ettiquette that says you should always sit in the same chair spot each night. I was not aware of this myself so if anyone has any idea if this is a fact or just a made up theory can you let me know. Thanks.

We even sit at the same chairs at home.

I know this may sound like a crazy question but last week we were on a cruise and some people at our table changed chairs each night. This upset others at the table and one of the guests was told that there is dining room ettiquette that says you should always sit in the same chair spot each night. I was not aware of this myself so if anyone has any idea if this is a fact or just a made up theory can you let me know. Thanks.

Before the "Your Time Dining" program came about, we never sat in the same chairs.

Until reading this thread, I had never thought about where to sit/not sit at the table in the MDR. Trying to think about past cruises where assigned to a table for more than 4, not sure if DW and I sat at the same chairs each evening or not.

We have always rotated our seats at the table so that we could have different views every night. We've done this with tables of four as well as tables of 10. Our wait staff never had issues remembering who was who.

I've never heard of there being any "rules" about seating. People do tend to gravitate towards the same seat each night, but that may just be habit. I can see the logic behind it enabling the waiters to customize a particular seat in anticipation of the passenger and his or her preferences, but I also can understand changing seats each night to take advantage of the opportunity to get to know your tablemates more personally.

As for Ms.Tabby's situation, I agree with her and feel that her DH was in effect forbidding anyone else from enjoying the view which he had decided was his and his alone. :)

So what happens if the other people who have the "best" seats don't show up? The others sit their like a bunch of idiots waiting? Forget that.

First come, first chair. That said, I would never rush to get a window or dining room view. Plenty of other opportunities to look out at the water during a cruise. Thinking about it, I might prefer to have my back to most of the other diners though.

I've never heard about the "same seat every night" rule. I'd prefer to mix it up a bit!

Ditto - I don't believe there is any impoliteness intended if people change seats throughout the cruise - I've certainly done it on most of mine. For some it may be habit; others may choose to remember someone's name by where they sit; others will want to chat with different people each night. Whatever floats your boat, dearies.

What you need to do is go to the dining room in the afternoon and put a flip-flop or towel on your seat of preference so it will be saved when you arrive for dinner. :) There you go. Problem solved.

Cheers!

We have always rotated our seats at the table so that we could have different views every night. We've done this with tables of four as well as tables of 10. Our wait staff never had issues remembering who was who.

Maybe it has something to do with liking science fiction ;), but this is what we did on a past cruise when seated with 3 or 4 (not sure of the exact #) other couples that we did not know. We had a large round table in the middle of the dining room and moved one place clockwise each evening so we would all have a chance to admire the scenery.

And oddly through no more than sheer luck, one of the other women at the table was 3 months into a pregnancy...the same as I was! Sadly although we all got along at our table, we did not exchange addresses and become friendly outside the cruise.

This is why we like anytime and get tables just for us....

This is one of those things.... in 14 cruises and over 10 years here on CC, I have never seen discussed!!

Ok, I may be the odd one here, but I have never changed my seat at dinner. Whereever we land the first night is where we remain the entire cruise. I guess I did not realize that people change!!

Call it habit, call it routine...... one of those things that just works for our family. Isn't that a great reason why cruising is the best? No answer is the right answer... whatever works best is just FINE!!

Catrin

Years ago I was really feeling the motion of the ship and it was either change so I was facing a certain direction or ruin everyone's dinner with my lunch...:eek:

Some at the table were perturbed but when I put it like that they picked the lesser of two evils :rolleyes:

My wife is an ex Celebrity ass Maitre D in the days that they wore white gloves to flambe crepe suzette at the table for afternoon tea. The pax were seated for diner on a first come first seated basis.

I would also add a question, why when we sail on Carnival or RCCL in the carib they place all the Brits on the same tables?

This does not apply to Celebrity.

My wife and I have changed it up at a table for 2... does that count? Years ago we were at a table with friends and it was requested that we rotate so everyone could be by the window. It was done and everyone had a great time.

There is no such thing as etiquette on Carnival.

Sit where and when you want.

Thank you for the frank revelation! :)

The way I see far-too-many people "handling" their knives and forks

it's quite clear that there is no need for etiquette on most Carnival cruises.

Archived