Radiance - Alaska viewing spots

narsibvl

I am told Radiance was built with Alaska in mind and that you have sweeping views from anywhere in the ship, but if there is one place you would like to reserve a spot especially on the Hubbard Glacier day or the inside passage day, preferably in the front where would it be ?

Wow...it seems like it is getting harder and harder to just get a reasonable and intelligent answer anymore on this board. I thought you had a really good question. Sorry for the responses.... wow.....

Wow...it seems like it is getting harder and harder to just get a reasonable and intelligent answer anymore on this board. I thought you had a really good question. Sorry for the responses.... wow.....

My apologies, my sense of humor got the best of me. :) Just trying to keep it light. ;) Now let me try to be reasonable and intelligent. I don't know of any specific indoor lounges/areas that have superior views. I've always tried to get to the top deck and as close to the front as possible or just move from one side to the other depending on what I'm trying to see, but it does present a challenge when the Rain or as those from SE Alaska know it... "Liquid Sunshine" comes down. Maybe a good idea to do some exploring the first day, see what seems to work best for you. Hope you have a Great Time! :D Is that better?

We were on the Radiance last July. As the previous poster said, it would be a good idea to check out the front of the ship after boarding to find the best spot that suits you. Since the ship does a 360 at Hubbard, there are a lot of good spots, both indoors and out.

We were on the Radiance last July. As the previous poster said, it would be a good idea to check out the front of the ship after boarding to find the best spot that suits you. Since the ship does a 360 at Hubbard, there are a lot of good spots, both indoors and out.

I definitely would try to be outside where you can move left/right and forward/back unless you only want half a glacier viewing day. Bring rain gear and be prepared for the weather.

We took the last NB cruise of the season last year. I did a "Live" thread on our trip. this is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1697232

To answer your question. It was raining "cats and dogs" the day we were at Hubbard Glacier. But, if you look at the pictures it was still a great day.

We stood outside under the overhang on the front of the ship. It was the best spot.

You need to make sure you bring a jacket/coat with a hood. It kept the rain from going down your back.

There are great views from many indoor lounges. The glass is everywhere. But, to get the best views you need to be outdoors on one of the top decks.

We took the last NB cruise of the season last year. I did a "Live" thread on our trip. this is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1697232

To answer your question. It was raining "cats and dogs" the day we were at Hubbard Glacier. But, if you look at the pictures it was still a great day.

We stood outside under the overhang on the front of the ship. It was the best spot.

You need to make sure you bring a jacket/coat with a hood. It kept the rain from going down your back.

There are great views from many indoor lounges. The glass is everywhere. But, to get the best views you need to be outdoors on one of the top decks.

I have your review bookmarked. Yes we are well equipped for the rain, and we do intend to be outside whether it rains or snows, I figured if there is a good place, we might want to sit back and enjoy a hot coco or coffee in any of those lounges while enjoying the views and hence my question.

I have your review bookmarked. Thanks. Yes we are well equipped for the rain, and we do intend to be outside whether it rains or snows, I figured if there is a good place, we might want to sit back and enjoy a hot coco or coffee in any of those lounges while enjoying the views and hence my question.

I know that the Radiance often turns a 360 at Hubbard. But, it did not for our cruise. [more of a 1/4 turn in each direction]

Have fun!!

I know that the Radiance often turns a 360 at Hubbard. But, it did not for our cruise. [more of a 1/4 turn in each direction]

Have fun!!

The "turn" gets "promoted" all the time, but what is not addressed, if you are fixed, you are missing a significant amount of viewing time. I am not one to ever settle for less than 50%. :) There is no way to predict any calving which is always exciting to see. Forward is where you want to be on the way in, if you want a seat inside. (I have no idea where, I was on the Radiance last year and was outside the entire time). Then consider getting outside and following the ship around as it "turns", always keeping the glacier in view. Ideal, for some, perhaps, and certainly there are plenty of people satisfied with a lot less. Determine what YOU want. :)

Can anybody get on the helipad ? The other ships do not allow people on the pad.

Celebrity opened it for Hubbard Glacier viewing day but that was the only time. I found Celebrity Summit to be severely lacking in outside obstruction-free viewing most of the time (Hubbard Glacier being the exception).

Can anybody get on the helipad ? The other ships do not allow people on the pad.

It was open last year. Not sure of what other "ships". There are other cruiselines which also offer this, with an open bow.

For sure will check the Viking lounge first thing .

There isn't a lot of seating here, and the "campers" are claiming seats very early on Hubbard day. I would suggest, looking for seats at 6am and switch off for any meals/breaks with saving the other seat. I was out prior, and the lounge already looked full, on a southbound with an an afternoon Hubbard, last year. The forward viewing areas, on just about all the Alaska cruises I have noticed had these early morning claims.

Oh...I can't see my picking up a spot early on for the viewing..not my idea of an excursion ..after spending time outside will check the Lounge if we get seats good otherwise some other spot. Might try it for the inside passage as well.

There are several places to have inside viewing.

The Viking Crown Lounge Deck 13

The Schooner Bar Deck 6

Promenade Deck/covered by overhang but outside Deck 5

We haven't been on her since the new restaurants have been added. I would have mentioned the Windjammer as it had seating to the end of the aft. Don't think that is available now.

The Helipad is hard to get close to the front railing so be sure to get a spot early. If you get there late you could try standing on a bench that gives you a little better view over peoples heads. You never know when you will catch a calving, so listen for the cracks/gun shot sounds.

Did you book a balcony for the cruise? Should be able to catch good viewing from there too.

As mentioned from others you will want to move around a bit if you are trying to make the most of your time there.

The helipad is a great spot, but be warned that it gets very crowded. I got out over an hour beforehand and there were at least 50 people already there. By the time we went to our suite to see it from our balcony there easily 150-200 and people were pretty aggressive about getting up to the front.

You cannot stand on the benches. They have security out there and will not allow any standing on benches, rails...etc.

After the whole thing was done I decided I wouldn't fight the crowd for that spot again. Anywhere on deck gets you an amazing view, plus the ship does a 360, so the entire ship gets a look regardless of where you are. Some of my best pictures came from spots other than the helipad.

Approaching the glacier

u3egy5yr.jpg

Up close

anevaqub.jpg

Calving!

epe6ynam.jpg

It's cold of course, but RC is there to help you get warm with a $7 cup of hot chocolate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived