Couldn't Book

jnc411

Call me crazy, but does anyone else think that a law originally written in 1886 is badly out of date and is in serious need of updating. In this day and age of global travel it just doesn't make sense anymore. Not sure what the original intent of the law was, but we're living in a much different world today than our ancestors did in 1886. Just my 2 cents worth.

It pertains to more than cruise ships. It protects American shipping and container companies as well as airlines. Air Canada would be quite happy to come in and take over some of the US's profitable airline routes, but it can't.

Then someone at Princess has messed up on the programming. It's perfectly legal and done all the time. You just can't start and end in two different US ports and you're not, you're starting in Vancouver. If you really want to book this insist it's escalated to Legal. It is true that the Whittier to Vancouver to LA should not be combined, that's an illegal cruise...but adding the portion of the Vancouver to Whittier makes it legal.

He's not even going to Whittier - he's doing the 7 day Inside Passage - Vancouver to Vancouver in 7 days - not the 14 day to Whittier. So with Whittier not in play - there should be no reason why this isn't allowed.

Call me crazy, but does anyone else think that a law originally written in 1886 is badly out of date and is in serious need of updating. In this day and age of global travel it just doesn't make sense anymore. Not sure what the original intent of the law was, but we're living in a much different world today than our ancestors did in 1886. Just my 2 cents worth.

Would it be good for Air China or Korean Air to enter the domestic Canadian transportation market?

How many people work for Air Canada?

He's not even going to Whittier - he's doing the 7 day Inside Passage - Vancouver to Vancouver in 7 days - not the 14 day to Whittier. So with Whittier not in play - there should be no reason why this isn't allowed.

Yes, we know that now the OP came back to clarify. Wouldn't change anything anyway, both are fine.

I know that if you do LA to Vancouver you cannot then do Vancouver Seattle the same day. To me this is the same. They are 7 day bookings so it would be Anchorage to Vancouver and on to LA so not legal, to me. You would have to spend a day in Vancouver.

I know that if you do LA to Vancouver you cannot then do Vancouver Seattle the same day. To me this is the same. They are 7 day bookings so it would be Anchorage to Vancouver and on to LA so not legal, to me. You would have to spend a day in Vancouver.

I was thinking that if the OP really wanted to do this cruise but couldn't find any one to vet it (even though it sure seems like it should be okay), Go on a Vancouver cruise on one ship then switch to another, or stay the night and switch to another ship.

HI again I am the OP , sorry I opened this whole can of beans :). Anyway the saga continues, as I said before I did not book because I was unable to do the two cruises back to back and thats fine , But get this I got 2 booking confirmations in my email from princess for the RT Vancouver cruise , so after I called in to tell them no no , I did not book the cruise ,and the whole explanation of the passanger act spiel , well she looked and low and behold there was a booking for the second one also , BUT , not legal, so they canceled all three bookings . Apparently one can present themselves at the dock and be turned away because of said " passanger act ", OK so this is getting funnier and funnier as it goes. It is a good thing that I have a good sense of humor or this would be irritating to say the least . But is OK , it's all good. And I will find somewhere else to go ( shhhh- don't tell anyone but I looked at other cruise line schedules too......) Anyway I hope I don't have to report back that I have been called to the naughty room at Princess headquarters !!!!!!!

Thanks all for you great information and unfailing support, If I get sent to the naughty room , please break me out. :)

Cori

This issue makes no sense. If the first cruise is a 7 day RT out of Vancouver, I don't believe it is even covered by the PSVA because it doesn't originate or end in a US port. The second cruise is obviously legal so what is the issue? The only potential violation I could see is if you boarded the ship not in Vancouver but in one of the US ports and that B2B with the second cruise would be in violation of the PVSA. What am I missing here?

Would it be good for Air China or Korean Air to enter the domestic Canadian transportation market?

How many people work for Air Canada?

Okay...as I began my previous post 'Call me crazy'. I guess I was a bit naïve. I had no idea that these other areas of travel were regulated by the same act. The only point I was trying to make it that in the year 2013, it's too bad someone cannot make a simple back to back cruise booking just because of the ports the cruises begin and end at. Life shouldn't be this difficult.

You can do this b2b! We did that same back to back last year, and so did a bunch of other people on the Sapphire. We had no problems booking it. Looks like there is some sort of problem in the Princess computer booking system and they need to fix it. Keep pursuing it. Mention to them that a lot of people did this same sequence last year on the Sapphire (Vancouver to Vancouver Inside Passage Alaska departed Sept. 22, 2012 and that was followed by a 7 day Vancouver to LA which departed on Sept. 29, 2012-that cruise had a different itinerary, but that doesn't matter). If we could do it then, you can do it now. Good luck!

Along this line we just returned from a Holland cruise from SanDiego-Hawaii-Polynesian Islands-SanDiego-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle. It was advertised as 30, 34 or 35 days. Most people got off after 30 days RT SanDiego. We stayed on all the way to Seattle. Several hundred NEW passengers embarked in SanDiego after the 30 days but had to DISEMBARK in Vancouver instead of Seattle. Several of them told me they tried to book to Seattle, but due to some old law it was impossible.

Seems it's not Princess but that antiquated US law........hard to make sense of it tho.

Along this line we just returned from a Holland cruise from SanDiego-Hawaii-Polynesian Islands-SanDiego-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle. It was advertised as 30, 34 or 35 days. Most people got off after 30 days RT SanDiego. We stayed on all the way to Seattle. Several hundred NEW passengers embarked in SanDiego after the 30 days but had to DISEMBARK in Vancouver instead of Seattle. Several of them told me they tried to book to Seattle, but due to some old law it was impossible.

Seems it's not Princess but that antiquated US law........hard to make sense of it tho.

This actually makes sense. Since they started in San Diego, they either needed to end in San Diego or a Canadian port (Seattle wouldn't work).

You can do this b2b! We did that same back to back last year, and so did a bunch of other people on the Sapphire. We had no problems booking it. Looks like there is some sort of problem in the Princess computer booking system and they need to fix it. Keep pursuing it. Mention to them that a lot of people did this same sequence last year on the Sapphire (Vancouver to Vancouver Inside Passage Alaska departed Sept. 22, 2012 and that was followed by a 7 day Vancouver to LA which departed on Sept. 29, 2012-that cruise had a different itinerary, but that doesn't matter). If we could do it then, you can do it now. Good luck!

HI , and thanks , but I think I give up , it is not ment to be. But thats ok, we have been to Alaska before , so we will do something else, and maybe next year they will have this mess straighten out. Cori

I booked Whittier to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whittier as 2 separate cruises. Is this allowed???? I'm confused.

Yes it's fine. You're returning to the same US port. It's when it's two different US ports that it gets sticky

As for the second cruise credit issue if it's booked as a 14NT? Call after the trip and you'll get the second credit.

VibeGuy... can you explain this? I have a Caribbean cruise booked as a 14 day instead of a 2 7 day, will that qualify?

I booked Whittier to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whittier as 2 separate cruises. Is this allowed???? I'm confused.

Yes, this is allowed. The limitation is when boarding in one US city and disembarking at a different one, without stopping at a distant foreign port. That has no application to your cruises.

Ok. There is a very old law on the books. It is called the Jone's Act. Your cruise ship must port in a foreign port along it's voyage. So, if it starts in the US, it must go to another country and stop. (That is why the Hawaii cruises have just a 4 hour stop somewhere in Mexico.) That's why the Alaska cruises leaving from the US need to stop in Canada.

If the ship were owned by America, cruised under an American flag and had an American crew, then they wouldn't have to stop in the foreign port.

There are exemptions to this rule. It happened last fall when the ships on the east coast got stuck because of Hurricane Sandy.

So, if any of you are on a Princess cruise, they have planned them to stop somewhere to make it all legal. Do not worry!

The op should be able to do what she was trying to do. I would think that it has to be a problem with the worker bees or a computer problem. This should be brought to the attention of Princess.

You are safe! Have a great cruise!

RM-

The Act only concerns sailings between two US cities. If you are sailing between the SAME US city then the ship must stop in a NEAR foreign port, such as Vancouver or Ensenada (this is why the roundtrip sailings from LA to Hawaii stop in Ensenada). If you are sailing between two DIFFERENT US cities then you must stop in a FAR foreign port. There are no far foreign ports in North America, Central America, or the Caribbean (except the ABC islands - Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). That is why the Panama Canal cruises between California and Florida stop in Aruba or Cartagena.

The OP wants to sail between Vancouver and LA so she is not even sailing between two US cities. The act is not even applicable to her proposed cruise. I have no idea why Princess is telling her she can't do it.

The Act only concerns sailings between two US cities. If you are sailing between the SAME US city then the ship must stop in a NEAR foreign port, such as Vancouver or Ensenada (this is why the roundtrip sailings from LA to Hawaii stop in Ensenada). If you are sailing between two DIFFERENT US cities then you must stop in a FAR foreign port. There are no far foreign ports in North America, Central America, or the Caribbean (except the ABC islands - Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). That is why the Panama Canal cruise between California and Florida stop in Aruba or Cartagena.

The OP wants to sail between Vancouver and LA so she is not even sailing between two US cities. The act is not even applicable to her proposed cruise. I have no idea why Princess is telling her she can't do it.

You're explaining the PVSA, you quoted a poster who wanted info on getting two cruise credits :)

RM-

The Act only concerns sailings between two US cities. If you are sailing between the SAME US city then the ship must stop in a NEAR foreign port, such as Vancouver or Ensenada (this is why the roundtrip sailings from LA to Hawaii stop in Ensenada). If you are sailing between two DIFFERENT US cities then you must stop in a FAR foreign port. There are no far foreign ports in North America, Central America, or the Caribbean (except the ABC islands - Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao). That is why the Panama Canal cruises between California and Florida stop in Aruba or Cartagena.

Hi I am the OP and 5 different Princess people told me no, and the last one called the legal department , so I just took it as a no. Not worth all the fuss at this point.

Cori

Hi I am the OP and 5 different Princess people told me no, and the last one called the legal department , so I just took it as a no. Not worth all the fuss at this point.

Cori

Can I confirm that you're trying to book the September 21st, 2013 and the September 28th, 2013 sailings?

You can start and stop in a U S port as long as you stop in a foreign port. Example: FFL to LA via the Panama canal. Also the RT´s out of Seattle which stop in Victoria, BC.

Sent from my KFTT using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Archived