shorts in MDR

curtisbug

BTW re: Seabourn... you are very likely to see that exact outfit worn on Seabourn

Not at the The Restaurant, and most definitely not at night. While Seabourn prides itself as being an upscale but casual cruise line, their dress code gets strict after 6pm. Definitely no shorts (and no jeans either). Seabourn's minimums on "Resort Casual" nights are what many cruisers on Carnival would consider appropriate on "Elegant Night".

As long as CCL has a suggested dress code (not required), why should you or I care if someone wears shorts for dinner. I doubt most cruisers (newbies) even know what the suggested attire is in the MDR anyway. Sure, it may look good if everyone (men) have on coat and ties, and present some good picture opportunities, but what is the big deal.

If I want to dress up, I will, and let the others dress as they want, as long as they are neat.

Does it really hurt that much to dress up a little for dinner (pants and a collared shirt)?
For some, it obviously does!

The rush to the bottom gains speed everywhere, doesn't it?! :)

Sounds like many of these types should not be booked on Carnival at all

but should instead be booked on the sailing-ship type cruises

where shorts and No Shoes are the order of the day and night!

RoyClipper-570.jpg

THIS is where they should be boarding: much better suited to the cruising lifestyle they want!

RoyClipper-570.jpg

THIS is where they should be boarding: much better suited to the cruising lifestyle they want!

A "little snobbish" are we?:confused:

:confused::confused: polo shirts and tommy bahama shorts. I wear suits to work ervery day and feel like being casual for my 8 night cruise. what do you think? go ahead give it to me;)

IMO, Tommy shorts look fine for the MDR...I'm with you...I wear suit and ties every day for work....I choose not to partake in Elegant night....

RoyClipper-570.jpg

Oh my well when I walk into the mdr I hope u turn your head. I really don't care anymore who I offend wearing my shorts in happy wife's happy all that matters just think in a couple yrs all is young short wearing folks will be the main stream cruisers casual will dominate and mandatory formal night will be in the distance past

Oh my well when I walk into the mdr I hope u turn your head. I really don't care anymore who I offend wearing my shorts in happy wife's happy all that matters just think in a couple yrs all is young short wearing folks will be the main stream cruisers casual will dominate and mandatory formal night will be in the distance past

Good or bad, depending on ones perspective, you are probably correct.

On our cruise two, eek, three weeks ago, we saw a couple turned away - wife and daughter in cute sundresses (they were fine), son and dad in nice white shorts. I'd say no. Eat on Lido if you want to be casual. Or throw on a pair of chinos and a polo shirt and call it good.

You knew it was just only a matter of time before the "fashion snobs" came out of their holes. As a few have mentioned already, I too dress up every day for work so I cherish my casual vacation gear. DW and I generally dress up on both formal nights (slacks, shirt and tie for me) and we always do a night in the Steakhouse. All other nights I am in my shorts in the MDR. That is how WE choose to spend our vacation and I could give less than a hoot what some messageboard fogies think about my decision to wear shorts at dinner on none Elegant night. OP, I suggest you adopt a similar mindset. Like it or not, society is trending more and more toward the casual, laid-back way of doing things. The fogies ain't gotta like it, but there ain't anything they can do about it!

OP, enjoy your vacation the way YOU choose to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be fine in the dining room in shorts. I've come to expect anything on Carnival.

I am a Carnival Platinum cruiser. I know what to expect and accept whatever goes. I just got off the Pride in April....paid $449 for a week's trip. The service was good, the ship was clean, nice room and good food.

But.....if you're looking for an elegant cruise where people respect the dress code or even try to look nice while on vacation ......forget it.

The ships these days are a whole different ball game from years ago when I started with Carnival.

People walking in the dining room barefoot....in bathing suits with cover ups....and I'm talking the dining room. People who not only didn't dress for dinner.....they didn't bother to bathe either. No one is turned away.

Enormous people in their pj's on the lido deck with enough food on their plate for 10 people. Forget about dressing for dinner....they can't even dress for the lido deck !

Of course...most of that goes to waste. I've never seen so many morbidly obese people in my life. And I know that's not PC to say.....but it's true.

It's all about......" I paid for my vacation and I'll do what I want".....so

be prepared for this and don't let it ruin your vacation.

It you can't look past it.....choose another cruise line or different type of vacation.

And don't say you see this on other cruise lines as much. When you pay $400 for the trip versus....$2000 for the week....you get a different type crowd.

Cowboy hats? Does anyone actually wear those in the 21st century?

I live in Texas.. I was reflecting one cruise on all the hats the men were wearing in the dining room and had breakfast with a cowboy (yes he had his own ranch in Texas) and kind of changed my mind in his case as it seemed to be part of him. You probably see more cowboy hats out of Galveston than other ports.

But I would have liked him to take off his hat while eating.. we are having this issue at home actually. My sister wants to go to a sit down restaurant and my Dad has bad skin cancer from all his golfing on his head and wearing a baseball cap and refusing to go to a sit down and wear his cap during a meal.

I guess I was brought up old school like my parents believe.. take off your cap if its a nice place to sit down and eat. McDonalds doesnt count.

I think men should take their hats off in the dining room. I saw the backward baseball cap on the Fascination last week, regularly in the MDR. I also saw a young girl in short, short, short, tight, tight, and did I mention short, shorts. Oh well. These things I think are okay on the lido deck. I personally believe dress shorts, polos, etc are fine. Men should take their hats off, I was taught it was respectful. All that said, I realize I am old fashioned. I just don't let these things ruin my cruise.

:confused::confused: polo shirts and tommy bahama shorts. I wear suits to work ervery day and feel like being casual for my 8 night cruise. what do you think? go ahead give it to me;)

You will be fine, and you wont be the only one.

Enjoy your cruise!

RoyClipper-570.jpg

What a comparison ! Star Clippers may allow casual dress but it is at least six times the price of Carnival and the clientele reflect that . Get real !Shorts are fine in the dining room . Carnival is a budget line not the Queen Mary .

Not at the The Restaurant, and most definitely not at night. While Seabourn prides itself as being an upscale but casual cruise line, their dress code gets strict after 6pm. Definitely no shorts (and no jeans either). Seabourn's minimums on "Resort Casual" nights are what many cruisers on Carnival would consider appropriate on "Elegant Night".

Well last year I was fortunate to make a prestigious Quota club with a software vendor and was taken on a seabourn cruise / quest

So in prep I packed as per thier dress code and suggestions

What I can tell you by the third day there were dress shorts in the resturant ( not the one with the celeb chef / resturant 2 I believe

Btw I enjoy dressing and by the six day I did too dress in shorts

In the first pax I met was a couple who apparantly cruised often with them as he was friendly with the execs on board

He was the first person indie notice in dress shorts

Archived