Embarkation Question

I have a question. First time cruiser. Going on the Carnival Sensation in a couple of months. On my boarding pass it says embarkation is from 130-300 pm for a 4pm cruise.

Everyone tells me I should get there by 1000 or 1030. I am a little confused. Doesnt embarkation mean the time they will allow boarding? Do they allow boarding earlier?

I have a question. First time cruiser. Going on the Carnival Sensation in a couple of months. On my boarding pass it says embarkation is from 130-300 pm for a 4pm cruise.

Everyone tells me I should get there by 1000 or 1030. I am a little confused. Doesnt embarkation mean the time they will allow boarding? Do they allow boarding earlier?

Carnival usually starts boarding sometime after 11am. The VIPs [like weddings] board first, then those who have Platinum status. The next group will be the FTTF folks. That's Faster to the Fun, a paid-for perk [$49/cabin] that gives you early boarding. After that, people board by groups as they arrive. Since rooms aren't available until after 1pm, you'll be "guided" up to the Lido deck to eat and relax.

Please note, however, you will be carrying everything with you. That's one of the nice perks of FTTF. Your cabin will be ready when you board, so you can go dump your stuff and then begin to enjoy things. FTTF also means that your luggage will be delivered first and you will have a dedicated line at Guest Services if you have questions. It's listed under excursions in your home port; I don't know if it available on Sensation.

Most cruise ships are ready for boarding by about 11:00 AM - and cabins are generally ready by 1:00 - 1:30. Of course there are variables, and if you do not want to wait in line, it might make sense to show up at about 2:30-3:00 -- when practically everyone is already on board, and you can almost walk on without waiting. However, if you are like most people, you will want to start your cruise as early as possible - meaning that you will get there by 10:30-11:00 and wait in line for 30 minutes to an hour, and be on board by noon.

I have a little bit different preference to many of the regular posters here. I do not enjoy waiting in long lines. That is what you will encounter if you arrive at 11:00 am. My preference is to arrive later and walk onto the ship without any hassle or large crowds. Of course if you have preferential boarding privileges with your cruise line then it may not matter.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Some people like to arrive early and get on the ship early -- usually around 10:30 to check-in and once the ship is cleared -- get on it. They like to have lunch and walk around the ship to know where things are.

There are others who do not like long lines and prefer to get on around 12:30 - 1 PM.

You have to decide what will work best for you.

I have a little bit different preference to many of the regular posters here. I do not enjoy waiting in long lines. That is what you will encounter if you arrive at 11:00 am. My preference is to arrive later and walk onto the ship without any hassle or large crowds. Of course if you have preferential boarding privileges with your cruise line then it may not matter.

I think whether or not you encounter long lines waiting to board depends on what time you arrive, and the port itself. For our cruise last week, we sailed out of Miami (on Carnival). We arrived early, and there were weren't a lot of people in the terminal. Embarkation was very quick and easy for us (boarded before 11:00 a.m.), with no long lines. It may have gotten busier later in the morning, but I don't know. While I don't enjoy waiting in long lines either, I'd rather try to get to the port and get on the ship as early as possible. Of course, we don't have a lot of carry-ons like some people do, such as strollers, cases of water, etc.

Archived