Flooding on Maasdam?

jackretired

Just off the 15 day yesterday and flooding was extensive. We were on fifth floor and were told it was a burst pipe in our cabin wall but it was ship wide on all decks and different areas in the ship. So more than one burst pipe.

I hate to hear this happened on the beautiful Maasdam.

Hope they get it repaired and cleaned up quickly.

Hope there isn't much damage and not too many people were inconvenienced.

Ready to embark on the Maasdam in Boston on 5/25. Should I be concerned?

Considering that she left Montreal on schedule last Saturday, how bad could it be?

At this late date what good does it do to be concerned. It`s out of your hands. Enjoy your cruise. Unless you have purchased cancel for any reason coverage. Good luck.

All I can say is that I came back from vacation with a sinus infection (saw the ships doctor). I have severe mold allergies. All three of us could smell the mold. If you aren't sensitive it won't be an issue. If you are sensitive bring a lot of allergy medicine, etc.

The flooding was contained - it was the aftermath that was the problem for us.

All I can say is that I came back from vacation with a sinus infection (saw the ships doctor). I have severe mold allergies. All three of us could smell the mold. If you aren't sensitive it won't be an issue. If you are sensitive bring a lot of allergy medicine, etc.

The flooding was contained - it was the aftermath that was the problem for us.

What deck were you on? Was the mold smell worst at your cabin or in public areas?

We were on deck 5 LP on the cruise before you

. There was no smell of mold so it must be from this flooding. I'm sure they know how to get rid of mold.At least I hope so since so many people shouldn't breathe that. So sorry to hear about this on a ship I love.

Yikes, I am surprised CNN has not picked this up :rolleyes:. Sounds like a lot of water which will take a while to dry out and clean the smell. I hate it for those on the next sailing.

due, apparently, to torrential rains and very high winds and high seas. it was the 'roughest' cruise I've ever encountered. towels were down everywhere, and outside decks were closed two days. I saw no evidence of burst pipes.

due, apparently, to torrential rains and very high winds and high seas. it was the 'roughest' cruise I've ever encountered. towels were down everywhere, and outside decks were closed two days. I saw no evidence of burst pipes.

I have an image of Mr. Bill going "Ohh Nooo!" surrounded by towels getting a bucket of water poured on him by Mr Hands on ms Sluggo.

Hi there sassycruiser and dr. dawg. It's my understanding that the cruise line gave everyone affected some compensation. Can you tell me what the line gave you? I'd like to write a short news item about this.

Dori

Just got back to the USA from the Maasdam. We were in a verandah cabin on the 9th deck.

We came back to our room one afternoon and the carpet was sopping wet from the desk to the sliding doors. I don't mean damp, I mean squishy wet.

We reported it, and were told that they would be in to fix it, but that most of the cabins on the starboard side of the 9th deck had the same problem. They came in with a dehumidifier and an industrial fan, and the problem was fixed within a few hours.

We've only been on 9 cruises, but we had the worst weather we've ever experienced. We should have known we were in for a rough time when the PA system at the Embassy Suites announced that there wa a tornado watch for our area and that we were to go into the bathroom and shut the door!! That was the day before departure, and FLL had torrential rain that day.

From FLL until almost all the way to Newport, RI, the rain was slamming into the ship, and the ship was rocking. My wife wears the motion sickness patch, and usually does not have a problem, but she was down for the count for about 2 days.

We didn't hear about burst pipes being the cause of the wet floors, just bad weather. They drained the pools at one point to keep them from sloshing, which was only the second time I've seen that happen on a cruise.

The weather finally got better in Canada, and we had beautiful weather from Gaspe through Montreal. We really enjoyed the cruise, and it was a great itinerary. The trip up the fjord to Saguenay was just breathtaking.

The crew was fantastic, and made the best of really bad weather conditions, IMHO. We really enjoyed the musicians they had onboard, especially the guitarist and the classical musicians. We would go on the Maasdam again in a heartbeat.

Hope this helps.

What an inflammatory question!!!!!!! Why would they be compensated? Did HAL cause the bad weather?

RonJoan

Not inflammatory at all. The poster who asked the question is a CC news editor attempting to sort out the conflicting reports of whether the flooding was caused by the ship's plumbing failures or the weather. I think some sort of compensation would be called for in the event of plumbing failures of the severity described in this thread and others.

ETA: I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I have my doubts the weather would cause such widespread flooding, though there might be an attempt to spin it that way. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

<snip>

The weather finally got better in Canada, and we had beautiful weather from Gaspe through Montreal. We really enjoyed the cruise, and it was a great itinerary. The trip up the fjord to Saguenay was just breathtaking.

<snip>

We used to love the trip up the Saguenay fjord on the Maasdam on her Boston/Montreal/Boston itinerary. Several years ago, they stopped going into the fjord and that was very disappointing for us. It is so beautiful and everytime we were there, the experience was different.

Did they play the Ave Maria at the Statue? Very beautiful.

Archived