Flooding on Maasdam?

jackretired

I'm on Maasdam now. This is the first I'm hearing or seeing of a problem.

That's good news.

Hope you're having a wonderful cruise.

Maybe you'll post some comments when you come home?

Enjoy!

Now that I know what to look for, and I don't know if it's related, last night they had buckets under a ceiling leak near the show room on deck eight. We also had a lot of problems with our heat and someone else said their ac was out and some bathrooms weren't working. However,we're having a great time.

Glad you are having a good time on your cruise! We leave in 10 days. We will have a good time too, no matter what happens! :) Although, I do hope no moldy smell in son's room (he has asthma) and nothing wrong in my parents' room. My parents have never cruised and have claustrophobia and height fears. I talked them into the cruise because I do think once on board, they won't have the fears that they think they will. As long as my parents and son & son's girlfriend are happy, we'll be happy. We will be renewing our vows on the ship, so how can we not have fun, right?! :)

In answer to Devorah7's question, we were not offerred any compensation, but, then again, we didn't ask for it nor did we expect any. As I said, they fixed the problem quickly and that's what we were after.

By the way, this was the statement Holland America sent us when we asked them about it:

“There was a minor issue on the May 3rd sailing that has been repaired and resolved. Guests impacted by this received compensation onboard the cruise.”

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would give a bit more info on this as I know many here have upcoming Canada/NE trips planned on Maasdam. Just got off her last Saturday. We stayed in 026 but explored all over the ship and never saw any signs of flooding or smelled anything out of order. I have nasty mold allergies and never had a reaction so the clean up must have been thorough and deep.

Only thing we noticed anywhere was a shattered inner window in the MDR. They are at least double paned and are made of something like safety glass but it was the whole pane. Asked the crew what caused it. They said it happened over night so they had no idea. Almost looked pressure or stress related as it seemed to originate from the top. I am sure that is a big repair change so it may be a while until it can be fixed but it was no big issue for us. Just odd looking.

Otherwise, Maasdam was her normal beautiful self. :)

Thought I would give a bit more info on this as I know many here have upcoming Canada/NE trips planned on Maasdam. Just got off her last Saturday. We stayed in 026 but explored all over the ship and never saw any signs of flooding or smelled anything out of order. I have nasty mold allergies and never had a reaction so the clean up must have been thorough and deep.

Only thing we noticed anywhere was a shattered inner window in the MDR. They are at least double paned and are made of something like safety glass but it was the whole pane. Asked the crew what caused it. They said it happened over night so they had no idea. Almost looked pressure or stress related as it seemed to originate from the top. I am sure that is a big repair change so it may be a while until it can be fixed but it was no big issue for us. Just odd looking.

Thanks for the report on our much loved Maasdam. :)

Sorry to hear about her shattered window but happy all else seems to be ship-shape.

I'm on the Maasdam now, heading south to Sydney. The only running water I experienced was when my toilet overflowed about three nights ago. Fortunately, the #1 overflow problem was #1 and not #2.

For a full report, stay tuned for "Not quite LIVE FROM THE MAASDAM by tomc" coming up probably on Sunday. I've just been writing too much for the newspaper and talking too much on the radio these days and needed time off. I did take notes.

Sorry, but the crew lied to you. That window was shattered when we got on the ship for our May 3 cruise and wasn't repaired by the time we disembarked May 18. Hard to believe that it would have been repaired then shattered again already.

Sorry, but the crew lied to you. That window was shattered when we got on the ship for our May 3 cruise and wasn't repaired by the time we disembarked May 18. Hard to believe that it would have been repaired then shattered again already.

I would assume a repair of that kind, essentially the entire window pane being replaced, reset, resealed, and probably some repainting required... I doubt it will be repaired for some time, maybe even a dry dock.

So how did the one MDR attendant we asked in passing "lie" and how was it shattered? The crew member just said it shattered at night (not on our cruise obviously as I saw it on embarkation day at LUNCH) and gave me no time frame. We assumed it happened weeks maybe even a couple of months before from the looks of it.

Archived