Buying drinks package - new rules??

Hi

i am cruising this summer on the serenade with my husband and 2 adult children and partners. We've been looking at drinks packages and it looks like if you want to buy one both occupants of each cabin must buy one. Am I reading this correctly?? Seems a bit big brotherish, even for RCCI!

We have some members of the party who would buy a package and others who may have the odd glass of wine at dinner but not much more, so a drinks package would not suit for them. Its a bit ridiculous to try and force this expense on them.

Can anyone advise if this is correct, and if so is there a way round it?

Many thanks

Hi

i am cruising this summer on the serenade with my husband and 2 adult children and partners. We've been looking at drinks packages and it looks like if you want to buy one both occupants of each cabin must buy one. Am I reading this correctly?? Seems a bit big brotherish, even for RCCI!

We have some members of the party who would buy a package and others who may have the odd glass of wine at dinner but not much more, so a drinks package would not suit for them. Its a bit ridiculous to try and force this expense on them.

Can anyone advise if this is correct, and if so is there a way round it?

Many thanks

The rule is that if one person on a stateroom purchases the alcohol package, then all adults in the stateroom must purchase it. There are exceptions for medical reasons.

I really cant see any cruise ship NOT having this rule in place. Obviously it is because of sharing, regardless of anyones situation/story about how someone in the stateroom "doesn't drink as much."

It may seem like a rip-off to you but there's rules like that everywhere at home too.

I really cant see any cruise ship NOT having this rule in place. Obviously it is because of sharing, regardless of anyones situation/story about how someone in the stateroom "doesn't drink as much."

It may seem like a rip-off to you but there's rules like that everywhere at home too.

Celebrity cruise ships do have drink packages that do NOT require both passengers in the same cabin to purchase. And their packages include soda, premium coffees & teas, fresh squeeze and bottle water. Rules do not have to be the same for different cruise lines and I can see many cruise ships NOT having this rule in place.

Celebrity cruise ships do have drink packages that do NOT require both passengers in the same cabin to purchase. And their packages include soda, premium coffees & teas, fresh squeeze and bottle water. Rules do not have to be the same for different cruise lines and I can see many cruise ships NOT having this rule in place.

They required it on the recent 123Go Promotion but my last cruise we weren't required to purchase it for both...but we did anyway. By the way, what might seem stupid to a consumer might just be good business. :D

Supply medical proof for other people over 21 in the cabin that do not wish to pay for drink package, that they will accept - OR-

split yourselves up in the cabins right from the start so that people wanting the package are together in the cabin and people not wanting the package are in another cabin. (you can always switch rooms once there):rolleyes:

Supply medical proof for other people over 21 in the cabin that do not wish to pay for drink package, that they will accept - OR-

split yourselves up in the cabins right from the start so that people wanting the package are together in the cabin and people not wanting the package are in another cabin. (you can always switch rooms once there):rolleyes:

Good idea. :)

...and this policy was prompted by the behavior on the Independence of the Seas when she was sailing out of Southampton. U.K.

Just sayin'.

Really??

And what exactly are you "just saying"?

...and this policy was prompted by the behavior on the Independence of the Seas when she was sailing out of Southampton. U.K.

Just sayin'.

Really??

...that this policy was prompted by the behavior on the Independence of the Seas when she was sailing out of Southampton. U.K. or did I miss something. :confused:

Really??

That the policy was created because of abuse and not just fear of abuse?

As for differences between X and RCI, they are two different products with different appeal. I'm guessing the older skew with X along with the (typically) higher prices means that the company is less worried bout the program being abused.

Really??

He was saying that Brits are likely to have abused the rules by drink sharing.......he is probably right......Although every other nation would probably be just as guilty......it's just that Brits are very innovative when it comes to interpreting rules.

You would have to be a saint no to offer a partner or friend a sip of your drink. And that would put you in breach! The last thing you need is to spend your vacation feeling guilty over a few drinks........

It's a GOOD policy!

Just sayin'.

We were one of the first to trial this on the IOS and even then you had to have it for all adults

So less of the incinuations PLEASE

We were one of the first to trial this on the IOS and even then you had to have it for all adults

So less of the incinuations PLEASE

Correct...

Some members just like to TRY and stir things up...

#justsayin

Just sayin'.

I was on one of those last year (IOS out of SHPTN) and I did not experience anyone abusing their drinks package etc, infact, I would say that it was RCI who were the abusers, with all the restrictions they put on after selling the packages. :p

He was saying that Brits are likely to have abused the rules by drink sharing.......he is probably right......Although every other nation would probably be just as guilty......it's just that Brits are very innovative when it comes to interpreting rules.

You would have to be a saint no to offer a partner or friend a sip of your drink. And that would put you in breach! The last thing you need is to spend your vacation feeling guilty over a few drinks........

It's a GOOD policy!

And just to add.

I have seen plenty of N Americans with very clever ways of smuggling alcohol on board. :D

It's a simple solution. If both adults in the room do not want to purchase the package, dont'purchase it. No one is forcing you do do so. You can still purchase drinks individually. Nothing has changed on that front.

Big Brother-ish? No, not as I see it. It's a rule, just like you have to go to muster before sailing, just like you have to have your sea-pass card to get back on the ship, etc.

The package is provided for those people who don't want to worry about their bar bill, who like to have a few cocktails without having to worry about what it's going to cost them. It's all up-front in black and white.

We all purchased it, loved and appreciated the ease.

You can buy the dirnk package

or

You can decide to not buy the drink package

Nowhere in the cruise contract can I find a clause forcing anyone to do anything regarding the drink package.

SO, what is the complaint? If you do not like something, do you not have the freedom to not buy it?

If you think the price is too high when looking at a new Mercedes, do you go on the Mercedes web site and complain or do you just go buy a Yugo?

Does this rule apply to the soda package for adults? DH is not a soda drinker due to his diabetes, but I am an avid diet coke drinker. I usually go for the soda package (although I do try to use the cruise as a place to break my habit, unsuccessfully) and it would be a gigantic waste of money to force him to buy it. Would this fall under medical reason?

TIA!

It's a simple solution. If both adults in the room do not want to purchase the package, dont'purchase it. No one is forcing you do do so. You can still purchase drinks individually. Nothing has changed on that front.

So if one cannot drink cause of their disability or takes medication the other one has to miss out...!! Great solution.

So if one cannot drink cause of their disability or takes medication the other one has to miss out...!! Great solution.

I believe they allow for medical exceptions

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Does this rule apply to the soda package for adults? DH is not a soda drinker due to his diabetes, but I am an avid diet coke drinker. I usually go for the soda package (although I do try to use the cruise as a place to break my habit, unsuccessfully) and it would be a gigantic waste of money to force him to buy it. Would this fall under medical reason?

TIA!

Soda packages are individual.

Archived