Buying drinks package - new rules??

So if one cannot drink cause of their disability or takes medication the other one has to miss out...!! Great solution.

Posting without even looking up basic info....!! Great solution.

There is a medical waver that can be used if there is a medical reason where one person cant drink. Before posting and spreading false information try to do at least cursory research....

Chris

Does this rule apply to the soda package for adults? DH is not a soda drinker due to his diabetes, but I am an avid diet coke drinker. I usually go for the soda package (although I do try to use the cruise as a place to break my habit, unsuccessfully) and it would be a gigantic waste of money to force him to buy it. Would this fall under medical reason?

TIA!

The rules does not apply to the soda package, only to the unlimited alcoholic drink packages.

There is a medical waver that can be used if there is a medical reason where one person cant drink. Before posting and spreading false information try to do at least cursory research....

Chris

So making a comment on someone's post who says all in a cabin must buy results in me spreading false info..? You really don't do sarcasm do you.

Chris

My wife is in a wheelchair and takes morphine 24/7 I know their is a waiver...

Originally Posted by Jason12 viewpost.gif

So if one cannot drink cause of their disability or takes medication the other one has to miss out...!! Great solution.

So making a comment on someone's post who says all in a cabin must buy results in me spreading false info..? You really don't do sarcasm do you.

My wife is in a wheelchair and takes morphine 24/7 I know their is a waiver...

Well, you did kind of muddy the waters with your comments.

Well, you did kind of muddy the waters with your comments.

Yeah I didn't get it either. First complains that if someone is traveling with a person with a medical issue and cant drink then no one in the same room can get the package but then says he knows there is a waiver available. Seems to contradict himself.

Ok my last post here.

The above post was sarcastic...I now know you don't get it.

Can the moderators please clean the thread up and delete my posts please so it does not confuse any more members.

Ok my last post here.

The above post was sarcastic...I now know you don't get it.

Jason....You made a post that was not factual. Everyone else didn't misinterpret you, you just stated your comment poorly. If you want to get sarcasm across online then you need to either make the comment clearer, or use an emoticon. Dial back the defensiveness.

There is some misinformation and some misplaced accusation on this thread already. What Merion Mom stated was not speculation.

When the package was first introduced it was trialled on 3 ships: The Indy out of Southampton, the Grandeur in S America then Europe and the Legend in Asia.

At the very start everyone in the cabin was not required to purchase the package. Following it's introduction - and abuse of the package - on the Independence, the package was suspended on the Independence (and not on the Grandeur and the Legend, whilst the company 'reviewed' the package.

When it was reintroduced it had risen by $10 per day and had to be taken by everyone in the cabin over drinking age. The abuse was well catalogued on this forum and another UK forum at the time. This article gives some background http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4442

You can buy the dirnk package

or

You can decide to not buy the drink package

Nowhere in the cruise contract can I find a clause forcing anyone to do anything regarding the drink package.

SO, what is the complaint? If you do not like something, do you not have the freedom to not buy it?

If you think the price is too high when looking at a new Mercedes, do you go on the Mercedes web site and complain or do you just go buy a Yugo?

Whilst I agree that this whole thing is a matter of personal choice I think your comparison to a car purchase is a bit extreme. After all if I want want to purchase a mercedes my wife doesnt have to buy one as well :)

There is some misinformation and some misplaced accusation on this thread already. What Merion Mom stated was not speculation.

When the package was first introduced it was trialled on 3 ships: The Indy out of Southampton, the Grandeur in S America then Europe and the Legend in Asia.

At the very start everyone in the cabin was not required to purchase the package. Following it's introduction - and abuse of the package - on the Independence, the package was suspended on the Independence (and not on the Grandeur and the Legend, whilst the company 'reviewed' the package.

When it was reintroduced it had risen by $10 per day and had to be taken by everyone in the cabin over drinking age. The abuse was well catalogued on this forum and another UK forum at the time. This article gives some background http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4442

Thank you.

I won't be buying a drink package on any RCI ship because my wife doesn't drink. It isn't medical related, she just doesn't drink. So we can't get a waiver. Therefore, I'm not going to pay $110 per day for just me to drink. That said, I completely understand Royal Caribbean's decision on this matter. A costly all-you-can drink package would be rife with abuse if they allowed only 1 person in a cabin to get it.

There is a medical waiver on Royal, not so on Carnival.

How much does a mixed drink typically cost on board?

Here is a link to a sample bar menu. Remember that they add 15% to these prices. I am not 100% when this is from (should be pretty recent) but the prices will either be as listed or slightly higher. They never really lower prices.

http://www.cruise.co.uk/images/Cruise/cruise_gallery/1/royal%20cocktail%20menu_0.pdf

OK so that answers that question ... no way am I able to drink enough to justify the drink package ... LOL

Thanks so much - that was super helpful

Looking through the posts on the site, I am noticing that rules and policies differ from ship to ship - We are sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas in Alaska this July. A couple drink related questions for anyone familiar with that particular ship's policies:

Are there any free beverages onboard - My daughters are going .. just wondering what the best option would be for them.

Can we bring a couple bottles of fruit juice (sealed) onboard when we embark to enjoy in the mornings before wandering out onto the main decks?

Do they filter their water onboard (huge water snob here)?

On a scale of 1-10 .. how do you rate their coffee (yup .. coffee snob too)

OK so that answers that question ... no way am I able to drink enough to justify the drink package ... LOL

Thanks so much - that was super helpful

Looking through the posts on the site, I am noticing that rules and policies differ from ship to ship - We are sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas in Alaska this July. A couple drink related questions for anyone familiar with that particular ship's policies:

Are there any free beverages onboard - My daughters are going .. just wondering what the best option would be for them.

Can we bring a couple bottles of fruit juice (sealed) onboard when we embark to enjoy in the mornings before wandering out onto the main decks?

Do they filter their water onboard (huge water snob here)?

There are some free beverages on board. Juice, Tea, Water. For your daughters you could consider the soda package which would allow them to drink unlimited soda.

I don't think you can bring any juice on board. I have never tried this.

The water on the boats is filtered and I think very good. You could get those filter bottles to use if you wanted added filtering. They don't take up too much luggage room and each filter does quite a bit of water.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone know if you have to purchase the same package as your cabin mate, the beer/wine package at $45 per day is great for my husband, but I would want the package that includes spirits - would purchasing one of each package be permitted or would we both have to get the $55.00 a day ones?

Anyone done this?

Thanks

Good job of reading the whole thread before posting, clagmeister.

Yes I would like to know too

He was saying that Brits are likely to have abused the rules by drink sharing.......he is probably right......Although every other nation would probably be just as guilty......it's just that Brits are very innovative when it comes to interpreting rules.

You would have to be a saint no to offer a partner or friend a sip of your drink. And that would put you in breach! The last thing you need is to spend your vacation feeling guilty over a few drinks........

It's a GOOD policy!

True. Like the Americans sharing food at a Buffet when only one has paid for it. :rolleyes:

Archived