High Speed Internet on Oasis

samazach

RCCL, has a special satelight that was launched for them. They started testing it back in March. So I want to know has anyone experienced this new wifi on the Oasis? Thanks

You really should ask this on the RCI Board.

Keith

RCCL, has a special satelight that was launched for them. They started testing it back in March. So I want to know has anyone experienced this new wifi on the Oasis? Thanks

As a FYI, they did not have a satellite launched just for them! They are connecting to a service provider that sells satellite time just like other ships.

This new system claims to be higher speed, but it will be far from high speed internet found on land. It still require both an uplink and downlink. Uplink latency is claimed to be 4 times less than current satellite internet. That still leaves it very slow compared to land based internet. I will be interested to see the cost of this system, speed is equated in dollar costs. If you do it, please come back and post about your experience.

RCCL, has a special satelight that was launched for them

sorry but

:p:p:p:p:p:p

I bought and maintained maritime satellite communication systems for the agency I worked for. One such bird - plus the needed ground facilities - would cost about one ALLURE I'd imagine . . . probably more . . .

and in my experience no satellite launched by the maritime service providers has yet achieved 50% of what they promised their customers when looking for pre-launch contracts. But I've been out of the loop for several years - happily retired.

23,000 miles is a long way to send a signal, and when the signal must go UP and DOWN that's a physics problem . . . .

when did you last sail on the Oasis?

Don't need to. Go to the website of the company they are buying the service from and read the technical details of what they are providing, to who and how it works. Pretty clear it is another satellite downlink/uplink and what the speeds are. They are nowhere near what land based service provides.

any internet via satellite is going to be slow compared to what you are use to anywhere else (unless maybe you are still dialing aol) then you have all the on board switches and routers adding overhead plus the access point radio type and density, etc. how many folks you happen to be sharing an access point with and what type radio they have.

If I recall correctly satellite communications introduce about 1/4 second overhead for signals traveling to and from orbit. Until we figure out how to send signals faster than light or build significant networks of low-orbit satellites, this number is not going to change.

Archived