Travel warning Seattle to Vancouver Bridge collapsed

Blizzard54

With the Alaska cruise season now underway the collapse of an I-5 bridge at Mt Vernon Washington will effect travel between Seattle and Vancouver BC. This route is used by many cruisers sailing out of the Port of Vancouver BC. The cruise lines will need to allow extra time to make the transfers.

Extra time should be allowed for all methods of travel between the cities.

Once a detour route is established, it will no doubt take extra time.

With the Alaska cruise season now underway the collapse of an I-5 bridge at Mt Vernon Washington will effect travel between Seattle and Vancouver BC. This route is used by many cruisers sailing out of the Port of Vancouver BC. The cruise lines will need to allow extra time to make the transfers.

Extra time should be allowed for all methods of travel between the cities.

Once a detour route is established, it will no doubt take extra time.

Thanks for the heads up. I need to check on my transfer reservations.

The good news is that there is a pretty good detour route to the east of I-5 but I would guess that it is going to add 30 to 60 minutes to travel time depending on time of day and travel volumes. At this point I don't think anyone needs to be panicking about getting to and from Vancouver or Seattle.

The Amtrak train usually sells out on sailing days. There is now talk of adding extra trains to help the situation.

If you hear that this happens, please post this information on the board as a new topice so we can all consider it. It would be great for me as I am going from Seattle to Vancouver the day before our sailing, but cannot catch the early train and the late one is just too late for me!

DaveOKC

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I've already booked our Amtrak train tickets for our Vancouver to Seattle trip. Hopefully everyone else will be able to get train tix or at least find a way around the bridge collapse and get to their ships on time.

If you hear that this happens, please post this information on the board as a new topice so we can all consider it. It would be great for me as I am going from Seattle to Vancouver the day before our sailing, but cannot catch the early train and the late one is just too late for me!

DaveOKC

They have added another train, but only as far as Bellingham WA, not all the way to Vancouver. Also, Alaska Air lowered fares from SEA to BLI as well. Unfortunately, nothing for Vancouver just yet.

The Amtrak train usually sells out on sailing days. There is now talk of adding extra trains to help the situation.

Booked months ago. I have read many post about Amtrak and have never seen anyone say that they sell out on sailing days.

They have added another train, but only as far as Bellingham WA, not all the way to Vancouver. Also, Alaska Air lowered fares from SEA to BLI as well. Unfortunately, nothing for Vancouver just yet.

News today stated that a temporary span in place by mid June, with a permanent complete in the early fall.

News today stated that a temporary span in place by mid June, with a permanent complete in the early fall.

Yes, this is correct. There will be a slow down zone as you approach the temporary bridge, however given the number of speed zones and construction zones between Seattle and the border I think that this will only add a few minutes to the travel time.

Since the Feds are supposed to foot the bill 100%, I'll believe it when I see it. :D

The report I heard is that the Feds are paying 90%.

I think September is a bit optomistic but if they thow enough money at it, it could be done.

At best that will be a perminate repair of an outdated bridge and the whole thing well need to be completely replaced within a few years.

Archived