Kudos to RCCL

I just want to say that I think RCCL did a great job handling the fire on Grandeur this morning. I was booked on the sailing for this Friday, but it has since been cancelled. I received an email and phone call from RCCL explaining that it had been cancelled. Everyone on that sailing is getting a full refund, plus a a cruise certificate valued at 50% of the cost of this sailing. While I am incredibly disappointed that I won't be going to Bermuda Friday, I am happy with the outcome, and I am even happier that no one was hurt in the fire.

I just want to say that I think RCCL did a great job handling the fire on Grandeur this morning. I was booked on the sailing for this Friday, but it has since been cancelled. I received an email and phone call from RCCL explaining that it had been cancelled. Everyone on that sailing is getting a full refund, plus a a cruise certificate valued at 50% of the cost of this sailing. While I am incredibly disappointed that I won't be going to Bermuda Friday, I am happy with the outcome, and I am even happier that no one was hurt in the fire.

It's been a long day for all of us spectators but definitely a much longer day and night for those onboard. RCCL did an outstanding job! (despite no phone call or email yet for us!)

Yes, it has been a very long day for me! I'm glad they made the decision today and not later in the week. My anxiety was going through the roof not knowing what was going on. I'm bummed, but at least now I can relax and plan something else for the week since I'm determined not to sit home.

It's been a long day for all of us spectators but definitely a much longer day and night for those onboard. RCCL did an outstanding job! (despite no phone call or email yet for us!)

For some reason although I get emails regularly from RCI mine was in my spam(actually there were 2):confused:~Claudia

What about transportation cost reimbursement?

What about people who scrimped and saved for the cruise and are unable to reschedule vacation time, sitters, etc? Hardly seems like adequate compensation.

Was the Coast Guard or any others diverted to possibly assist? Is RCL going to compensate them? It would seem like the right thing to do.

What about transportation cost reimbursement?

What about people who scrimped and saved for the cruise and are unable to reschedule vacation time, sitters, etc? Hardly seems like adequate compensation.

Was the Coast Guard or any others diverted to possibly assist? Is RCL going to compensate them? It would seem like the right thing to do.

They are reimbursing all transportation costs. The passengers who are on the ship now are also getting a full refund, and are getting certificates for free cruises in the future. They are being put up in hotel rooms tonight in Freeport at no cost, and are also being flown back to Baltimore tomorrow at no cost. RCCL is also working with the immigration officials to facilitate air travel for passengers without passports. I think given the situation, they are doing everything they can. While I'm disappointed to not be sailing this Friday, I'm glad that no one is being left high and dry.

Yes, they are. Their check will be in the mail right behind CCL's.

Good point.

I'm not loyal to any cruise line, but I think RCCL has handled this better than other cruise lines have in the past. I have a relative who is a travel agent, and she told me that they didn't even have to offer refunds. They could have just offered credits towards a future cruise for the full amount paid for this cruise.

I also think that having RCCL's CEO Adam Goldstein fly to the Bahamas immediately this morning was a nice touch.

CL volunteered to reimburse all expenses even though never presented with a bill. We'll see if Royal steps up, but I doubt it.
Reimburse for what? Grandeur sailed into port on it's own and did not require being rescued at sea - unlike Carnival Triumph and Splendor.

We'll see what happens. Regardless though, it's another black eye for the cruising industry. Like I said, I have no loyalty to any cruise line. I go with whoever gives me the best value & experience. I just hope RCCL and CCL can recover.

Why is this being turned into a CCL vs RCCL feud? I never said anything about CCL in my original post. I was simply saying that I feel like RCCL did a good job at responding to what could have been a big tragedy.

PARTIAL QUOTE

I just want to say that I think RCCL did a great job handling the fire on Grandeur this morning. ....

Hi Kroozen. I join you in your applause for RCCL. According to the latest reports, the Captain and crew acted promptly and avoided a disaster. Kudos to the passengers who followed directions and remained calm. Management also responded quickly and arrived on the scene asap.

These things will happen - any sailor knows that...the important thing is the response. So again, kudos to the Captain, crew, passengers and the management of Royal Caribbean.

Best wishes to those on board the ship, and to those who have booked a cruise on the following voyages. Thankfully, all will live to sail another day.

Cheers,

Salacia

PARTIAL QUOTE

Hi Kroozen. I join you in your applause for RCCL. According to the latest reports, the Captain and crew acted promptly and avoided a disaster. Kudos to the passengers who followed directions and remained calm. Management also responded quickly and arrived on the scene asap.

These things will happen - any sailor knows that...the important thing is the response. So again, kudos to the Captain, crew, passengers and the management of Royal Caribbean.

Best wishes to those on board the ship, and to those who have booked a cruise on the following voyages. Thankfully, all will live to sail another day.

Cheers,

Salacia

Well said!

Good point.

I'm not loyal to any cruise line, but I think RCCL has handled this better than other cruise lines have in the past. I have a relative who is a travel agent, and she told me that they didn't even have to offer refunds. They could have just offered credits towards a future cruise for the full amount paid for this cruise.

I also think that having RCCL's CEO Adam Goldstein fly to the Bahamas immediately this morning was a nice touch.

While RCI may have handled the situation well, and maybe better compared to others in the past, the true evaluation should be made against what is required in the new passenger bill of rights.

Cash refunds are now required to an extent.

I think many would agree what RCI did was good. But it was also what should re required.

I feel badly for everyone affected by this incident, and as others' have said, I'm happy that there were no serious injuries or worse. I think RCI is handling the situation well, with regard to compensation to current pax who have had their vacation interrupted, and also to future cruisers who are now cancelled.

I hope those of you who are now cancelled will find appropriate replacement cruises, and not have too much difficulty rearranging your lives to accommodate new vacation plans. We have a nice group of folks doing the 7-night Bermuda sailing on August 23rd. Hope many of you will join us!:)

Reimburse for what? Grandeur sailed into port on it's own and did not require being rescued at sea - unlike Carnival Triumph and Splendor.

Carnival did reimburse for USCG assistance. Granted it was quite some time after the incidents, but reimbursement was made.

Rescue at sea is irrelevant. USCG did not do much in the "rescue" other than drop some supplies, airlift a passenger and maintain a presence in the area. The actual "rescue" was made by private tugs.

Carnival did reimburse for USCG assistance. Granted it was quite some time after the incidents, but reimbursement was made.

Rescue at sea is irrelevant. USCG did not do much in the "rescue" other than drop some supplies, airlift a passenger and maintain a presence in the area. The actual "rescue" was made by private tugs.

Right - $3.4M for the Splendor and about $1M for the Triumph. Chump change!;)

And yes they paid, after initially sending a letter to the Senate Commerce Chair saying they had no intention to pay. I imagine Micky decided it was better to reimburse the USCG only after the Senate Commerce Chairman's response to his initial refusal. That, and they were getting beat-up in the press pretty badly over refusing to reimburse the USCG.

Right - $3.4M for the Splendor and about $1M for the Triumph. Chump change!;)

And yes they paid, after initially sending a letter to the Senate Commerce Chair saying they had no intention to pay. I imagine Micky decided it was better to reimburse the USCG only after the Senate Commerce Chairman's response to his initial refusal. That, and they were getting beat-up in the press pretty badly over refusing to reimburse the USCG.

Agreed. However, I don't believe that CCL or any other entitiy is under obligation to reimburse the USCG. I am not defending CCL here, just wanted to point out that reimbursement was made and that USCG did not conduct a rescue.

Agreed. However, I don't believe that CCL or any other entitiy is under obligation to reimburse the USCG. I am not defending CCL here, just wanted to point out that reimbursement was made and that USCG did not conduct a rescue.
Agreed, I don't think they were required to reimburse the USCG or Navy. Although their initial refusal to do so didn't go over too well in the PR department, did it?

As to to my original question, I'm still want to know what RCCL needs to "step up" for?

Originally Posted by Sargent_Schultz:

CL volunteered to reimburse all expenses even though never presented with a bill. We'll see if Royal steps up, but I doubt it.

Regardless of what CCL did or didn't do, my original point still stands...RCCL handled the situition the best that it could. Aside from taking a helicopter and evacuating people from the ship one by one in the middle of the night, there is nothing else they could have done. (And even then, I think I'd rather take my chances on the ship...)

Regardless of what CCL did or didn't do, my original point still stands...RCCL handled the situition the best that it could. Aside from taking a helicopter and evacuating people from the ship one by one in the middle of the night, there is nothing else they could have done. (And even then, I think I'd rather take my chances on the ship...)

I agree. I think it was definitely a positive for royal that they immediately began posting info on twitter and Facebook as well as posting pictures. Keeping people informed goes a long way to holding back negative publicity.

After Triumph, I went to the CCL Board to offer balance to those anticipating upcoming cruises. It is sad that a tragedy was ruining what should be a fun and exciting time for people. I tried offering an upbeat attitude against the negativity I saw there. Well, I don't know who the Moderators are over there, but they deleted several messages I posted. I guess they wanted Drama only.

Anyway, I did see some fun people there, and I continue posting there. I think this rivalry on a message board is silly given that the topic is VACATION! I go to political boards when I want to bash people.

Archived