How to enter the water, if need be..

hal lover

The ones that are in your cabin, or on the promenade deck... as you might have seen the discussion here has been about jumping into the water with a life jacket on, hence the advice to hold onto it to avoid neck injuries. :rolleyes:

As a last resort I am sure people in a life-or-death situation may jump into the ocean without a life jacket even if they couldn't swim. Just as people jump out of burning buildings.

Oh, you mean that coat with a whistle on it, I believe that's for cold weather conditions, so you can call for a St.Bernard if you're lost...

Not true actually (although I did see your funny face).

In typically frigid water, 33 to 40 degrees, you are likely to stay conscious and not completely debilitated for 15 to 30 minutes (longer time the closer you are to obese) and alive for anywhere from a half hour to one and a half hours.

So it is better if you have made some good friends while on board, who are fortunate enough to have evacuated on a nearby life raft.

Not true actually (although I did see your funny face).

In typically frigid water, 33 to 40 degrees, you are likely to stay conscious and not completely debilitated for 15 to 30 minutes (longer time the closer you are to obese) and alive for anywhere from a half hour to one and a half hours.

So it is better if you have made some good friends while on board, who are fortunate enough to have evacuated on a nearby life raft.

That's interesting. Who would have ever thought being obese (or close to it) could possibly save your life.

You never know what you are made of until you actually have to do it. People surprise themselves every day.

People fight for their lives in many horrible ways everyday,some would welcome the chance to just step off a ship and take their chances over what they are facing in the here and now.

If it came to it and I am absolutely terrified at the the thought I'd take that step first and wait for my loved ones to make the next step so I could help.

I think the majority would.

I'd just never ever look back. Those sights I could never get rid of.

That's interesting. Who would have ever thought being obese (or close to it) could possibly save your life.

The fat layer surrounding the torso functions like the layer of blubber/fat on a marine mammal. It insulates vital organs and helps maintain the body's core temperature, delaying the onset of hypothermia.

This thread is giving me the heebie jeebies...and flashbacks to the movie Titanic.....:eek:

Although in all seriousness this is very important and although I haven't been on tons of cruises, only 5, 3 Carnival and 2 HAL, I have never heard this either.

Princess is the only line I have been on that demonstrates how to "walk off" the ship into the water. They can do this, I believe, because you are mustered into a room, rather than at the lifeboat station. I don't think this could be done on deck as it is very crowded, people are talking and not paying attention, and I, for one, can seldom hear the announcements from the bridge due to all the commotion. I hope we never have to do it, even though I do know how.

Millions of years of evolution or a moment of intelligent design magic (take your pick depending on your persuasion).

For the vast majority of animals on Earth today, and for humans for the vast majority of the time we've been on the planet packing on pounds has been a huge plus for survival.

When your average life expectancy "in the wild" is 20-odd-years old, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc. are far less likely to prevent reproductive success than starvation, environment exposure, illness, or simple weakness due to malnourishment.

Whether you jump or step make sure you're on the down-roll if the ship is rocking so you're not bouncing down the side on your way to splash down.

Millions of years of evolution or a moment of intelligent design magic (take your pick depending on your persuasion).

For the vast majority of animals on Earth today, and for humans for the vast majority of the time we've been on the planet packing on pounds has been a huge plus for survival.

When your average life expectancy "in the wild" is 20-odd-years old, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, etc. are far less likely to prevent reproductive success than starvation, environment exposure, illness, or simple weakness due to malnourishment.

Whether you jump or step make sure you're on the down-roll if the ship is rocking so you're not bouncing down the side on your way to splash down.

That is a nightmare that would put me in a padded room if I survived.

As already pointed out.... if you go into the sea wearing a lifejacket from more than just a few feet it is very likely that the jacket will ride up and break your neck. For this reason the jacket must be worn as tight as possible and you must use all you strength to hold the jacket down as you jump. Any jump more than ten feet and you will most likely be injured.

If you find youself in a situaation wher you musst go over teh side you should try to get to boat deck... on the lowest side. Where the liferafts are located there will be ladders for you to climb down. There is usually a ladder over the side at each lifeboat. Remember, the crew remaining on board that lowered the boats etc will have to disembark as well... either into the boats or a raft. The ladders are there. Difficult but better than jumping!

I learned how in a college swimming class.

The best thing is to wait until the deck you are on is level with the water and then "walk off."

If that is not an option, there are several methods. All involve crossing your arms over your chest and holding on to the life jacket strapping to keep it from flying up and knocking you out. And all involve walking off the ship, NOT jumping. All also assume that you know at least a dog-paddle style kick so that you can move away from the ship as quickly as possible.

The biggest thing that was stressed was that if you have step off from a height, cross your legs at the ankles and point your toes before you hit the water. The force of hitting the water can dislocate your hips. It's also best to try and kick off your shoes once you are in the water.

I hope I never have to out the practice to use (and yes, we did practice from the 10M platform) but I do know how in case I ever have to.

I've been watching this thread for a few days, but have not seen any posts from fellow Sailors, so I offer a U.S. Navy perspective.

When I went through boot camp in the Pleistocene Era, you could NOT get out unless you could demonstrate how to abandon ship. This involved going to the pool, climbing up the (very) high dive platform, and stepping off ... while wearing normal shipboard uniform and no life jacket.

We then had to demonstrate that we could take off our bell-bottoms from around our half-boots (boondockers they were called), and inflate the pants into a flotation device, and stay afloat and live for at least five minutes. That part is not important, because few people wear bell-bottoms since the 1970s.

A key point I remember from that time, though, is pertinent. If you are entering the water from any amount of distance, you need to streamline your body as much as possible. Cross your arms (securing your life vest if you have one) tightly to your chest, cross your ankles (especially if you are male) and point your toes.

Dave

I think it depends on the lifevest these days.

Many years ago, we were taught to grab both upper straps and pull down tight after walking off the deck.

Im not sure about the new ones. But I would look for a ladder and enter the water as gently as possible, especially if it was cold.

I do know if you encounter a panicked person, to pull them under the water until uo can break free and hopefully grab them from behind.

The biggest thing that was stressed was that if you have step off from a height, cross your legs at the ankles and point your toes before you hit the water. The force of hitting the water can dislocate your hips.

A key point I remember from that time, though, is pertinent. If you are entering the water from any amount of distance, you need to streamline your body as much as possible. Cross your arms (securing your life vest if you have one) tightly to your chest, cross your ankles (especially if you are male) and point your toes.

Weird - I was taught the exact opposite, to keep your legs spread (front to back, not side to side) so that when you hit the water you can immediately start kicking up. We were told that by streamlining yourself you'd plunge deeper into the water, and could end up struggling for breath as the impact might knock the wind out of you.

As I write that, I realise that it was assumed you wouldn't be wearing a life jacket - I suppose with a lifevest on, that would do the job of getting you to the surface quickly.

Whatever method is used to get off a sinking boat to save your life would be the best choice at that time. These brave souls on the Costa Concordia found a method not yet mentioned here to walk / climb / slide off the ship.

This would have been very terrifying for me but I'm sure I could have persevered with no other options. I have lots of trouble with heights when out in the open with nothing to restrain me.....except when I go skydiving. I'm so weird. :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfmFjDn8WeQyRumcmFNC2B_jwS_VfJjgyzWOoFs0Lqfs7C7Ag

Archived