what passes for formal wear these days?

[quote name='monkeyluis']You said it ruins it for others.

What is the "reason" for formal nights according to you? Overly priced pictures to purchase.

And they are, suggestions.[/quote]

It's about the whole experience of enjoying a "dress-up" night. So, yes, those who insist on ignoring the suggested dress can ruin that experience somewhat for others. You are just over-reacting to the word "ruin" a bit. I get that you are too self-centered to understand the concept, so I won't waste any further time trying to explain it to you. :cool:

Personally, I don't mind that there are a percentage of people who ignore the suggested dress, but if it gets to the point where the formal nights disappear completely, I think it'll be a bit sad. There's plenty of time to be casual.

[quote name='ryano']Neither is a "nice suit"[/QUOTE]
Not to belabor the point, but that's not correct.

This comes right from the Royal Caribbean FAQ page:

[QUOTE]Q: What are the dress codes onboard?

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
[U]Formal:[/U] [B][I]Suits and ties[/I][/B] [U]or[/U] [B][I]tuxedos for men[/I][/B], cocktail dresses for women[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ryano']Neither is a "nice suit"[/QUOTE]

Yup. Being that formal is actually white tie for men, I guess he shouldn't eat in the mdr either since a "nice suit" isn't technically formal. Edited by BeachChik

[quote name='BeachChik']Yup. Being that formal is actually white tie for men, I guess he shouldn't eat in the mdr either since a "nice suit" isn't technically formal.[/QUOTE]
Post #102 has the RCI posted dress code for formal night right from the RCI website itself. It appears to be quite clear.

[quote name='Paul65']It's about the whole experience of enjoying a "dress-up" night. So, yes, those who insist on ignoring the suggested dress can ruin that experience somewhat for others. You are just over-reacting to the word "ruin" a bit. I get that you are too self-centered to understand the concept, so I won't waste any further time trying to explain it to you. :cool:

Personally, I don't mind that there are a percentage of people who ignore the suggested dress, but if it gets to the point where the formal nights disappear completely, I think it'll be a bit sad. There's plenty of time to be casual.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I wasn't the one using multiple times. I'm not sure how I can be self-centered when I'm not concerned about other people affecting me. Everyone being upset about dress up night are the self-centered ones.

But I won't waste anymore time trying to explain that too you as you are too focused on how everyone looks rather than enjoying your vacation.

[quote name='BeachChik']Yup. Being that formal is actually white tie for men, I guess he shouldn't eat in the mdr either since a "nice suit" isn't technically formal.[/quote]

No. The exact definition of formal attire can vary, which is why RCL provides guidance on what [B]they[/B] mean by formal, which is a suit and tie or tuxedo for men. The fact that you have your own personal interpretation of what it means is irrelevant.

[quote name='monkeyluis']Lol, I wasn't the one using multiple times. [B]I'm not sure how I can be self-centered when I'm not concerned about other people[/B] affecting me. Everyone being upset about dress up night are the self-centered ones.

But I won't waste anymore time trying to explain that too you as you are too focused on how everyone looks rather than enjoying your vacation.[/quote]

I already said that it doesn't bother me that a percentage of people ignore the suggested dress. But, yes, it is self-centered to feel like you should just wear whatever you want and not care whether or not it's appropriate. Edited by Paul65

[quote name='Paul65']I already said that it doesn't bother me that a percentage of people ignore the suggested dress. But, yes, it is self-centered to feel like you should just wear whatever you want and not care whether or not it's appropriate.[/quote]

YES!! Another well stated comment....

[quote name='Granny DI']Just off the Oasis. Formal night was a big deal! I saw evening gowns and tuxedos all over the ship. Since we were with the grandkids we did Windjammer on Formal nights. We even saw formals and tuxedos in the Windjammer. The people sailing on our cruise understood formal night!!!!!!!![/quote]

AWESOME! SO good to hear!!!!!!

[quote name='Paul65']I already said that it doesn't bother me that a percentage of people ignore the suggested dress. But, yes, it is self-centered to feel like you should just wear whatever you want and not care whether or not it's appropriate.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say I should wear whatever I want. I posted what I wear and the reasons why? So tell me if I'm wrong.

I'll explain it again for you.

I wear khakis and a polo. Sometimes a button down shirt. It's what I have and what I can afford. I have no use for anything more than that in my everyday life. I have no desire to waste money on a suit or tux rental.

So am I not able to go into the MDR?

To say that I can't is pretentious and uptight & people need a reality check when they don't understand someone else's situation.

[quote name='Paul65']No. The exact definition of formal attire can vary, .[/quote]

No. The exact definition of formal wear is pretty cut and dry everywhere Ive looked.

Now what RCI calls "formal wear" is a totally different thing but nowhere else other than their ships is a "nice suit" considered formal wear.

Im not going to argue with you though. Been there, done that and got the tshirt. I do as the suggestions say or I go elsewhere. It absolutely cracks me up that so many get in a tizzy over what others wear though.

It would seem the original question was answered many times over...and some posters are just posting for this purpose:

[IMG]http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/dogs/dog-chasing-tail-smiley-emoticon.gif[/IMG] Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

[quote name='monkeyluis']I didn't say I should wear whatever I want. I posted what I wear and the reasons why? So tell me if I'm wrong.

I'll explain it again for you.

I wear khakis and a polo. Sometimes a button down shirt. It's what I have and what I can afford. I have no use for anything more than that in my everyday life. I have no desire to waste money on a suit or tux rental.

So am I not able to go into the MDR?

To say that I can't is pretentious and uptight & people need a reality check when they don't understand someone else's situation.[/quote]

I didn't say that you can't. You can go into the MDR. I only said that it was self-centered to only worry about yourself and not care about the requested dress or about how your choices might affect others. But you are certainly [B]allowed[/B] to be self-centered.

[quote name='Paul65']I didn't say that you can't. You can go into the MDR. I only said that it was self-centered to only worry about yourself and not care about the requested dress or about how your choices might affect others. But you are certainly [B]allowed[/B] to be self-centered.[/QUOTE]

You still don't get it.

Trust me. I'm not self-centered at all, you are clearly not reading & understanding ones situation. I think that's pretty self-centered of you. You can let that go.

Its too bad you let things like that affect you. Hope to see you on the next cruise. Edited by monkeyluis

[quote name='ryano']No. The exact definition of formal wear is pretty cut and dry everywhere Ive looked.

Now what RCI calls "formal wear" is a totally different thing but nowhere else other than their ships is a "nice suit" considered formal wear.

Im not going to argue with you though. Been there, done that and got the tshirt. I do as the suggestions say or I go elsewhere. It absolutely cracks me up that so many get in a tizzy over what others wear though.[/quote]

Sorry, but you are wrong. "Formal" can mean different things in different settings, ranging from classic "black tie" or "white tie" to military dress uniforms or Scottish kilts and many other variations. Royal Caribbean is certainly free to establish what they intend for "formal attire" on their ships.

I, too, think it's unnecessary to get in a tizzy about what other people wear. But I can still think that the polite thing to do is adhere to the suggested dress, without getting in a tizzy. :cool:

[quote name='monkeyluis']You still don't get it.

Trust me. I'm not self-centered at all, you are clearly not reading & understanding ones situation. I think that's pretty self-centered of you. You can let that go.

Its too bad you let things like that affect you. Hope to see you on the next cruise.[/quote]

Sorry about that. I'll go back and read more carefully.....

[quote]I hope I sit next to you one day and make you as uncomfortable as possible and ruin your dinner.[/quote]

[quote]I have no need for a suit or tux in my normal life, I don't want to waste money on renting one either. I deserve to eat in the MDR just as well. I did pay for the cruise.[/quote]

OK, so you wear what you want to wear, and you hope to sit with those who are bothered by it, so that you can ruin their experience. Plus, you deserve to eat in the MDR, because you paid for your cruise, so it doesn't matter that you're too cheap to buy a suit. You deserve it!!

I apologize. I'm not sure how I saw any self-centeredness in your posts. :)

[quote name='Paul65']Sorry about that. I'll go back and read more carefully.....

OK, so you wear what you want to wear, and you hope to sit with those who are bothered by it, so that you can ruin their experience. Plus, you deserve to eat in the MDR, because you paid for your cruise, so it doesn't matter that you're too cheap to buy a suit. You deserve it!!

I apologize. I'm not sure how I saw any self-centeredness in your posts. :)[/QUOTE]

You still don't get it. Wow. So smug. Lol oh well, it's hard for privileged people like you to understand people who aren't as well off. Figures you resort to petty name calling. It's all good.

You still don't get it. Wow. So smug. Lol oh well, it's hard for privileged people like you to understand people who aren't as well off. Figures you resort to petty name calling. It's all good.

We're all privileged people, if we have the means to do things like go on cruises. I highly doubt that you're any less "well-off" than I. By the way, you were already calling people uptight and pretentious, before I joined in, so I thought petty-name-calling was just the kind of discussion you understood. :cool:

Edited by Paul65

We're all privileged people, if we have the means to do things like go on cruises. I highly doubt that you're any less "well-off" than I. By the way, you were already calling people uptight and pretentious, before I joined in, so I thought that was just the kind of discussion you understood. :cool:

No. Some people have to save up for a long time & that's all they can afford. If I get to do an excursion it's because I was lucky & saved more.

I wasn't being self-centered, I was explaining my situation & you failed to recognize that. It's not fair for people to look down on others because they can't afford the same clothing as them. You don't get to comment on other people when you don't know what their situation is, who they are or where they come from. That's why I was saying people are uptight & pretentious.

Edited by monkeyluis

You don't get to comment on other people when you don't know what their situation is, who they are or where they come from. That's why I was saying people are uptight & pretentious.

Why not? Do you know my situation? You certainly made some comments about me. And I know a little about your situation (assuming what you've posted has been truthful). You work out of home, so you "don't have many" dress clothes, but you even admitted that sometimes you do wear a button-down shirt and tie. So, obviously you could afford to dress up at least that much. So, why not come at least as close as possible to the requested attire, if not because you simply don't want to and feel you deserve to dress casually, because you paid for your cruise. You're really not so special, just because you had to save up to go on a cruise. A lot of us are in the same boat with you.

You accuse me of not reading carefully, but perhaps you just haven't explained yourself clearly.

Edited by Paul65

Why not? Do you know my situation? You certainly made some comments about me. And I know a little about your situation (assuming what you've posted has been truthful). You work out of home, so you "don't have many" dress clothes, but you even admitted that sometimes you do wear a button-down shirt and tie. So, obviously you could afford to dress up at least that much. So, why not come at least as close as possible to the requested attire, if not because you simply don't want to and feel you deserve to dress casually, because you paid for your cruise. You're really not so special, just because you had to save up to go on a cruise. A lot of us are in the same boat with you.

You accuse me of not reading carefully, but perhaps you just haven't explained yourself clearly.

Yes. I said what I can wear & that's all I can afford. You are harping on the issue about the definition of formal saying I can't go to the MDR because of what I've explained I wear & coming as close I can, I explained myself very clearly. But now it's ok that I wear it.

I didn't say anything about being special, I didn't even say I had to save, I said some people have to save, I said some people have different situations & come from different places. I said don't judge people, that's all, who cares.

Live & let live man.