what passes for formal wear these days?

Not trying to start a big debate,

just haven't sailed with RCI for a few years and was wondering what passes for formal nights now.

I have been on NCL and CCL lately which doesn't have much if any dress codes.

Certainly won't be dressed like a slob but don't want to be dragging the tux along either.

Also what venues can we eat in on formal nights that are casual if we opt out of the MDR?

Looking at Oasis or Allure.

Bill

I didn't see any difference between what people wore on carnival vs what people wore on royal. So I would say however you dressed for your carnival cruises will work on royal as well.

I was just off of the Oasis and since I was sitting right by the entrance to the dining room on formal night I saw what everybody was wearing. There were very few people in true formal attire (long gowns and tux). Most people had nice dresses and suits and I did see dockers and jeans. So basically, anything goes. I went to dinner at 6:30 and when I walked down to the promenade, I felt over dress to the point that I was wondering if it was formal night. I almost went back to change. I was wearing nice black pants and a silver thread top and jacket (ladies, think Chicos traveler pants and one of their tops). This outfit is dressy but really not formal and I did feel overdressed and changed after dinner.

Judy

This topic makes my eye twitch. Everyone knows what "Formal" means. If one doesn't want to partake, then eat in the Windjammer that evening.

Agree that you're spot on....but unfortunately the general cruising population these days doesn't seem to want to conform.

I know everyone has their own opinion. I have noticed a distinct change over the past 10 years. We almost never see folks in a tux on RCCI. We do see suits, jackets and sport shirts, khakis and short shirts, and even jeans. I knew things had truly changed when a head-waiter urged our family to come to formal night even though we only had jeans. I do find that the dress tends to be nicer in Chops or other specialty venues.

I typically bring a jacket, nice slacks and a sport shirt. I dress up for work every day and don't really feel the shirt and tie when I am on vacation.

One last note - last March we were on the Monarch. There was a family that came in formal night in swim suit coverups. I was really appalled that they were allowed in like that.

I very much agree. I was on Oasis last year and booked on Allure this Sept.My husband is not a suit/tux kind of guy, he wore nice pants and a nice Tommy Bahama shirt and I a nice sun dress for formal dinners, and it was fine, we never felt out of place, in fact we looked pretty darn good :) People were dressed in all kinds of ways and I really did not care who was wearing what. We were having so much fun, I really didn't care who was wearing what :) You will love it! I promise!! :)

I have never seen anyone refused admission to the MDR that was dressed neatly on RCI.

This is very true ... even for "Formal Nights" in the MDR on RCCL.

Maybe lots of us would like for things to be the way they once were ... but they are not.

LuLu

~~~~

We just of off the Liberty last weekend and it was a real mix on formal night - a few tux but more jacket and ties and even more slacks and smart shirt and god forbid someone had a "Polo Shirt"! on ! ha ha .... I really think you can go as you like as long as you don't wear shorts for dinner. Just enjoy your cruise you know you deserve it !

Pretty much in agreement. Dark suits seemed to be the majority in the MDR on formal nights..very few in a tux and even fewer in polo shirts, but there were a few. Saw two that were asked to go change because they were in shorts. It's a bizarre mix. Because we pack lighter, but still want to do the MDR formal nights, we do the dark suit and I carry a pair of dress slacks with 2 different "sparkly" tops.

My wife enjoys dressing up and formal nights so we dress up. We both travel only with carry on luggage and that includes her formal wear and my tux.

Hey, Antyfreeze! Joined two years ago and first post?! Welcome!

We're early 30s and we wear dark suit and tie (DH) and cocktail attire (me) on formal night. BUT we usually only do sail shorter bahamas cruises. Only dream of the longer cruises right now.

On our first sailing in Dec. of 2001, I did wear more formal, floor length attire, but have "lightened up" my suitcase over the years.

I didn't see any difference between what people wore on carnival vs what people wore on royal. So I would say however you dressed for your carnival cruises will work on royal as well.

I have had a tux for years. We always dress formal. Like to do it. Part of the cruise experience. Although it is definitely fading fast. However I will say that on Carnival once a family of four came to the MDR in their matching camouflage hunting outfits. Maybe a bit "too loose" for Formal Night (or any night) in the Caribbean.

May have "worked" on Carnival, but not too sure it "works" on Royal. :)

I have observed while seated in the MDR on formal nights mostly suits light and dark w/wo a tie, a small number of tux, some with sport coats and some with just shirt and pants again all w/wo a tie. Formal night is anything but for most pax these days and seems to go more by age of the wearer with the much older set in what can be considered formal wear while the young set is more informal. There are of course exceptions.

Neither of us are into formal anything, so I wear a long sleeved dress shirt, open collar and a pair of cotton khaki pants. I used to bring my blue blazer but have started leaving it at home as it seems rather ridiculous to drag it along for two nights wearing it into the MDR, taking it off hanging over the back of the chair and carrying it out in my arms. BTW notice how many men take their coats off and drape them over the back of their chairs.

Pax used to dress up to fly on an airplane and now we are lucky if they have clothes on at all. I recall wearing a tie when I first started work as an engineer, nice pants and a long sleeved dress shirt. By the time I retired I was wearing jeans, athletic shoes and a sport shirt. Times are changing as they always have. Those who cling to a bygone era will be lost.

The funniest thing is at 5 PM, the couples with early seating are dressed to the nines getting drinks and photos done; the older gents often have a tux from the good old days of cruising and their ladies have a full length "mother of the bride" dress and the younger crowd with late seating is still running around in their bathing suits and shorts...it makes for a really weird Promenade experience!:p;)

lol, that was me! Sometimes I'll go for a run at around 5 and then wind up in the Promenade to get some water (the water fountains in the gym always skeeve me out). Spiffy tuxes, beautiful gowns, people getting photos done, and me...in my gym gear!

To the OP...my own experience - on the Oasis and Allure I saw a much more diverse range of dress on formal night than on other ships. There were maybe 20% in black tie (tuxes and gowns), 60% in "nice" evening wear (dark suits, little black dresses), and the remaining were in casual wear. One guy wore a striped rugby shirt every single night!

My theory - and this is my own opinion - is that the Oasis and Allure attract a much wider range of people than other ships because of its novelty. So we'll see more people who may not be used to "traditional" cruise dining attire. (I say that half-facetiously because of all the discussions here on dining room clothes, so who really knows what "traditional" cruise dining attire really is!)

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Edited by windjamming

I used to bring my blue blazer but have started leaving it at home as it seems rather ridiculous to drag it along for two nights wearing it into the MDR, taking it off hanging over the back of the chair and carrying it out in my arms. BTW notice how many men take their coats off and drape them over the back of their chairs.

We took a small group of college kids and a couple of them didn't have a coat that fit at the time and I didn't really see the need for the extra expense. It was summer and hot and I knew they would take them off as soon as they walked into the MDR and hang it on the chair. They looked nice in their dark slacks, shirt and tie. (Had they been closer to interview time, I would have suggested they get a new one.) :rolleyes:

"If I don't agree with the rule (and/or it is inconvenient) I don't have to follow it."

What a terrible way to go through life! No wonder the world is so sh*** these days..........

I really need to change my signature! Nobody seems to notice the emoticon at the end indicating this is a sarcastic statement. I actually believe the exact opposite: Laws are put in place for a reason and it is the obligation of society as a whole to respect those laws. Those who choose not to follow them for the sake of "convenience" are inexcusable in my book.

Rest assured, I will clarify my signature.

Formal wear (US, Canada) and formal dress (UK, Australia, New Zealand, and other Commonwealth Realms) and eveningwear are general terms for clothing suitable for formal social events, such as a wedding, formal garden party or dinner, débutante cotillion, dance, or race. The Western style of formal evening dress, characterized by black and white garments, has spread through many countries; it is almost always the standard formal social dress in countries without a formal national costume.

The continual relaxation of formal dress standards since the end of the Second World War is redefining what clothes constitute formal and semi-formal dress.The original term full dress was used in the 19th century and the early 20th century to mean the most formal option available, while half dress and undress ranked beneath it. They indicated different clothes, but correspond somewhat to the 21st-century structure of formal, semi-formal, and informal. These are the terms used by traditional etiquette and dress consultants (especially for weddings), while contemporary consultants use looser, modern definitions, in which white tie is styled as most formal, very formal or ultra formal; black tie as formal; and the traditionally informal lounge suit as pseudo-formal. Moreover, modern advisers recommend black tie for events traditionally considered to require formal dress (white tie), and alternatives for what would have been semi-formal events.

However, formal and semi-formal are unambiguous when it is known they are being used in a traditional setting, even though changing fashions can make these terms ambiguous; white tie and black tie on the other hand refer solely to the combination of relevant clothes themselves, regardless of their setting, and so are much less susceptible to misinterpretation.

Particularly in America, but also around the Western world, there has also been a relaxation regarding the dress codes themselves, with full formal dress (white tie or morning dress) almost unheard of in many places. An example of such a variant is removing the traditional, classic black bow tie required by the black tie dress code in favour of a black or coloured regular tie and waistcoat, a development which would have been unthinkable just a few decades ago.

Edited by m*u*g*

This topic makes my eye twitch. Everyone knows what "Formal" means. If one doesn't want to partake, then eat in the Windjammer that evening.

That is exactly what I do. Out of respect for those who insist on clinging to the past, my wife and I avoid the MDR on the so-called "formal" nights. Everyone wins.

I have a lot of suits and I will bring one be it dark or light colored and bring two dress shirts and two ties so it will have a different look on both formal nights. I do not own a tux and never have and I will not buy or rent one just for the cruises when I have many suits to choose from to bring along. If it was indeed a real "Formal" Affair, where it was definately tux and gowns then I would get one. So we do get dressed to participate on the "Formal" nights, just not in tux and gowns!

I have observed while seated in the MDR on formal nights mostly suits light and dark w/wo a tie, a small number of tux, some with sport coats and some with just shirt and pants again all w/wo a tie. Formal night is anything but for most pax these days and seems to go more by age of the wearer with the much older set in what can be considered formal wear while the young set is more informal. There are of course exceptions.

Neither of us are into formal anything, so I wear a long sleeved dress shirt, open collar and a pair of cotton khaki pants. I used to bring my blue blazer but have started leaving it at home as it seems rather ridiculous to drag it along for two nights wearing it into the MDR, taking it off hanging over the back of the chair and carrying it out in my arms. BTW notice how many men take their coats off and drape them over the back of their chairs.

Pax used to dress up to fly on an airplane and now we are lucky if they have clothes on at all. I recall wearing a tie when I first started work as an engineer, nice pants and a long sleeved dress shirt. By the time I retired I was wearing jeans, athletic shoes and a sport shirt. Times are changing as they always have. Those who cling to a bygone era will be lost.

Well said!!

I dress everyday for work and do not like to "dress up" on vacation. I wear a blazer (maybe), tie (maybe) and slacks, wife wears nice pants and "sparkly" top usually, son in nice slacks and shirt. In order to not offend (or worry about anyone's opinion) we choose MTD. By going with MTD noone at my table is subjected to my :eek: lack of a tie because it's just my family. I'm on vacation with my family. I don't need a tux, fine china, crystal and stuffy table mates to enjoy our time together.

RCCL and CCL are "mass market" lines for a reason, They offer an affordable vacation to passengers of varying backgrounds. If I wanted the old time cruise experience I'd cruise on a line that caters to that style. Obviously RCCL realizes that cruising is no longer a vacation for the rich and elite, that's why they have "suggestions" rather than policies.

Formal nights are not a suggestion. The words/term "Formal Night" is printed in black and white for all to see in many different documents. The dress code is to wear formal attire. Formal nights are dinners where passengers eating in the MDR are to wear formal attire.

Because some passengers do know what formal attire is (attire = clothing), RCI has provided examples (i.e., suggestions) of what types of clothing one should wear.

There are many different passengers with different ideas as to what they should wear:

There are those many that try to abide by the dress code provided - either because they like to, want to, forced to by their spouse/partner, or just because they respect the other passengers adhering to the dress code for that evening.

There are those that know the dress code, but refuse to adhere to them because they feel they do not apply to them.

There are those that adhere to the dress code, but intentionally dress to the most minimum of standards.

There are those that do not know or understand the dress code (and this is where the examples/suggestions provide the most help).

I've had my say, let the flaming begin.

Not trying to start a big debate,

just haven't sailed with RCI for a few years and was wondering what passes for formal nights now.

I have been on NCL and CCL lately which doesn't have much if any dress codes.

Certainly won't be dressed like a slob but don't want to be dragging the tux along either.

Also what venues can we eat in on formal nights that are casual if we opt out of the MDR?

Looking at Oasis or Allure.

Bill

On our last few cruises, I have brought a Navy sports jacket, stone colored chinos and light blue shirt with a tie.

I love my tux, but if most people are not wearing them, for me at least, I don't enjoy them much.

Still wear tux to land based charity functions during the year.

My favorite cruise attire is T-Shirt/shorts/flip-flops/beer in hand. :) I like to accessorize.

Edited by shipshape sam

Formal nights are not a suggestion. The words/term "Formal Night" is printed in black and white for all to see in many different documents. The dress code is to wear formal attire. Formal nights are dinners where passengers eating in the MDR are to wear formal attire.

Because some passengers do know what formal attire is (attire = clothing), RCI has provided examples (i.e., suggestions) of what types of clothing one should wear.

There are many different passengers with different ideas as to what they should wear:

There are those many that try to abide by the dress code provided - either because they like to, want to, forced to by their spouse/partner, or just because they respect the other passengers adhering to the dress code for that evening.

There are those that know the dress code, but refuse to adhere to them because they feel they do not apply to them.

There are those that adhere to the dress code, but intentionally dress to the most minimum of standards.

There are those that do not know or understand the dress code (and this is where the examples/suggestions provide the most help).

I've had my say, let the flaming begin.

Do you feel better now?

There are so many invalid points in your tirade that I don't know where to start. Perhaps you should start by re-reading RCCL's dress suggestions without such a jaundiced eye. The read topspin's post above. He (or she) and the quoted poster are absolutely correct.

Take it easy people. It's just a cruise, and a mass-marketed one at that. Do not expect "luxury", no matter how badly you wish it to be.