what passes for formal wear these days?

Please, using money as an excuse to dress up is a crock, with Ebay and thrift shops and even Target carrying nice clothes, you can buy dressier clothes at the same price of regular clothes. My husband bought his tux many years ago at one of those outlets for less than the cost of a suit, and he had shirts and all of the extras included. He has been using it for over 10 years and has gotten his money's worth from it. And it fits him nicely and is not uncomfortable.

And as someone who used to own a bridal shop, I know a well fitted garment is not uncomfortable. And it takes a much time for me to put on nice outfit after my shower pre dinner than it does casual. This last cruise the dress I had on for the first formal night got a rip just after we took pictures, I went back to the cabin and it took less than 5 minuted to change. My hair and makeup take longer. And my dress took up less space in my luggage as shorts and a top.

So no excuses, if you want to dress sloppy or super casual, it is a choice. Maybe you don't bother to get ready before dinner and stay in the same clothes all day. (Eww, after an excursion I am eager for a shower). To each their own, but don't call me or anyone else a snob because I (we)care to look nice every night.

Yes. I said what I can wear & that's all I can afford. You are harping on the issue about the definition of formal saying I can't go to the MDR because of what I've explained I wear & coming as close I can, I explained myself very clearly.

OK. Show me where I said you can't go to the MDR. Never said that once, so don't waste too much of your time looking for where I said any such thing.

I can't believe people get so worked up about what other people wear on holiday (vacation). If the cruise line said you can only eat in the MDR if wearing a pink jump suit would you do that or eat somewhere else. As it is they don't so I wear what I'm comfortable in and so do you. I cannot possibly see how this impacts anyone else's enjoyment of their evening.

I'm not being rude, offensive, obnoxious, selfish or naked. I'm enjoying my holiday with my family and friends in the same way everyone else is. If I was swearing, loud, had BO, or was generally being unpleasant then I would agree that would impact your enjoyment but I'm not.

As for the suggestion that I eat in the WJ, why should I. I paid for my cruise to enjoy it the way I want and I'll eat where I want how I want. You might call this selfish but why is this any different to someone that dresses up and insists everyone else has to do the same even though the cruise line doesn't support that position.

I obey the rules when they are rules and I choose to follow suggestions or guidelines as I see fit. I suspect everyone else does the same but some feel that their decision should also be imposed on everyone else. On that basis anyone that try's to impose their will on me that is not supported by the rules will get short shrift from me and frankly I don't care whether you like that or not.

Miopyk

I obey the rules when they are rules and I choose to follow suggestions or guidelines as I see fit.

OK.

Maybe everyone can finally put closure on this topic - this is how the President of RCI responded specifically to the topic of enforcement of the Dress Code for formal nights (found on the RCI website):

Enforcing the Dress Code in the Main Dining Room

I (Adam Goldstein) receive emails asking “why did you let so and so in the dining room with that on?” and other emails asking “why didn’t you let me in the dining room?” Our intention is to establish reasonable rules and then to enforce them.

Across the fleet we follow the formal night dress guidelines that are printed in the Cruise Compass.

This area involves degrees of difficulty that can challenge us and create frustration for our guests. If the dining room staff notices guests entering the dining room who are not dressed according to the guidelines they should notify the guest. If the guest is already seated, it is more difficult to broach the subject with him/her.

Please rest assured that we will continue to focus on the most appropriate way to enforce our dress code.

OK.

Maybe everyone can finally put closure on this topic - this is how the President of RCI responded specifically to the topic of enforcement of the Dress Code for formal nights (found on the RCI website):

I'm sorry it doesn't. The dress code is flexible not imposed as published on RCI's own website - quote:

"We don’t have strict rules on cruise clothing, so what you wear really is up to you. Even our optional ‘formal nights’ have flexible dress codes."

Oh, and when was the last time anyone believed what a president has said.

Would you care to have another go?

Miopyk

Edited by miopyk

I'm sorry it doesn't. The dress code is flexible not imposed as published on RCI's own website - quote:

"We don’t have strict rules on cruise clothing, so what you wear really is up to you. Even our optional ‘formal nights’ have flexible dress codes."

Oh, and when was the last time anyone believed what a president has said.

Would you care to have another go?

Miopyk

I agree. Certain people don't really give a darn what is suggested or requested. They will do what they want, unless they are forced to do otherwise. And, a company like a cruise line shouldn't really have to be in the business of forcing people to dress a certain way. So, they will tolerate those who refuse to follow the guidelines.

I always wear my tux on RCCL/Celebrity cruises. I have one, so it's easy.

That being said.

Why duke it out here with prefect strangers who obviously have a different view on things. I'm not saying they're wrong, just different. If the cruise line does not enforce their suggestion to dress in formal attire, they might as well allow flip flops and t-shirts. It's such a slippery slope.

I'd love to see what would happen if RCCL started to turn people away from the MDR. Obviously, they would have to clearly state what is acceptable.

I for one would prefer they go after the chair hogs and balcony smokers.:eek:

After about 15 cruises, I've been able to sit by the pool 2 or 3 times. Want to discuss self-centered, think about chair hogs. I'm talking about the 7am towel droppers that you don't see until after 2 pm to pick up their towels.:mad:

WOW! This Thread is still going and people are actually arguing with each other about it!?

g655115633g6.gif

I see that you are not new around here. You know how it goes. This topic ... and a few others, always go on and on and .. .

Goldstein's response was so wishy-washy. It is obvious that RCI does not know where to go with "Formal Night". Just like saying not to save seats in the theater, or chairs on deck. Why even "suggest"? Just drop the policies, if there is no intent to enforce? Carnival replaced Formal Night with some silly term like "Night of Elegance" or whatever. Sparkly flip flops? RCI should follow them.

I would like to see Formal Night go away, anyway. We don't like wearing suits and this will save us from dry cleaning and carrying a garment bag aboard.

Goldstein's response was so wishy-washy.

Actually he was quite clear.

-There are standards, and they are printed in the Compass on every ship.

-There are standards, and they are available for reading on the RCI website

-RCI will look to enforce the standards as best they can

So the original poster's question has been answered, documented, certified, and repeatedly regurgitated multiple times.

It would seem that any further debate is just that - debate for the sake of debating. This dog needs to finally get some rest...

dog-chasing-tail-smiley-emoticon.gif

I agree. Certain people don't really give a darn what is suggested or requested. They will do what they want, unless they are forced to do otherwise. And, a company like a cruise line shouldn't really have to be in the business of forcing people to dress a certain way. So, they will tolerate those who refuse to follow the guidelines.

I'm sorry it says "flexible" and "optional" not "we will tolerate those that choose to do otherwise". It is some other passengers that apparently tolerate other peoples choices.

And you're right, the cruise line has a choice to enforce a code or not and they have clearly made it, so on that basis I don't give a darn, why should I? To please people who think the cruise line made a bad choice? I don't think so.

As I said earlier, I cannot possibly see how my choice of dress has any impact on anybody else's pleasure whatsoever. My jeans are blue, my T shirts are plain and despite what some may think I carry out adequate ablutions before I dine.

I suspect the reasons for all these comments might be down to a couple of things, people hate seeing other people not conforming to what they perceive to be "the rules" and are so incensed feel the need to so something about it or they have a simplistic view of the world that they see as perfect and someone not fitting that view should be removed to allow peace and tranquility to be restored.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy formal nights. I sit there sometimes and wonder what the hell some people saw when they looked in the mirror after getting dressed, I see husbands forced to meekly follow wives who have spent hours draping themselves in all their finery (sometimes badly), I see kids forced to wear uncomfortable clothes that'll never see the light of day again (unless they go on another cruise) and I see people who are enjoying their holiday (vacation) and have dressed according to their mood and disposition whether that be formal or not. Overall it's one of the most entertaining nights of the cruise so I don't want it to disappear more that I just choose not to participate in the optional dress code as is my right and choice as a fare paying passenger.

So when I get on the next ship in a few weeks time I will not be taking a dinner jacket (Tux), suit or tie and when formal night arrives will continue to dress how I please every evening and if you don't like it I really don't care.

Miopyk

Edited by miopyk

I personally think that it's your holiday and you're paying for it, therefore you decide how dressed up you want to get. Being from the UK, i never got a prom so Oasis last year was my first ever formal so we threw the boat out (not financially, in regards to the money debate my dress cost £30, so like $40, you don't need to spend to dress up). Allure next year will be our honeymoon so we'll probably dress up again on of the nights to get some pretty pictures but Oasis and allure are pretty much cities on the sea, you can't expect a whole city to conform and i take reassurance that there are so many different types of people who follow their own will. Gives me hope for the world, proves we're not all doomed sheep. I don't think it matters if people wear jeans and trainers or full mourning suits, it's just clothing.

Basically, live and let live and enjoy every second of the fabulous cruise ship.

Sarah

I I see kids forced to wear uncomfortable clothes that'll never see the light of day again (unless they go on another cruise)

I am in the "I don't care what anyone else does" camp. But I think you have hit upon a valid point. Some people have occasion to dress more formally in their regular, non-vacation lives so it really isn't a big deal. They already have the clothing and packing it and wearing it not an expense or bother. For others it is a huge deal and a big expense.

My kids actually enjoy dressing up for dinner. But I will acknowledge that they are probably in the minority.

I also enjoy dressing for dinner but I have cruised lines that do not have "formal" nights and I am perfectly fine with that also.

I said don't judge people, that's all, who cares.

Live & let live man.

+1

I don't like to get all layered up myself. It is unfair that the women get to wear as little clothing as possible while the men have a t-shirt covered by a dress shirt covered by a jacket. That is just not my idea of relaxation at all. :cool:

However, if they did have mandatory standards and not merely suggestions, I can confirm that I wouldn't be one showing up at the dining room entrance in anything less than what the dress code required. That's when I would use the alternative dining options more. But as everyone has stated, they do just have suggestions. I can't say I try to "get away" with as little as possible, but I do know that I am going to dress to my comfort level regardless of how others believe it should be. I reserve my full suit dress up for weddings, funerals, and job interviews. My body gets hot when it is 75 degrees so maybe that has something to do with it. :eek:

I can say for sure that I would not be judgmental of others in the dining room who appear to not be "appropriately" dressed for the occasion. I don't know their story. I don't know their life. How is it my business? Again, if there was a mandatory dress required then that's different. Why let the worry of something like this detract from your paid vacation? If you want to set your own dress code policies then buy a yacht and do so. Your boat, your rules! :D But if there are merely dress suggestions then truly there is nobody that is breaking the rules besides the ones in shorts, flip-flops, etc.

I'm sorry it says "flexible" and "optional" not "we will tolerate those that choose to do otherwise". It is some other passengers that apparently tolerate other peoples choices.

And you're right, the cruise line has a choice to enforce a code or not and they have clearly made it, so on that basis I don't give a darn, why should I? To please people who think the cruise line made a bad choice? I don't think so.

You prefer to only honor demands that will be enforced if you don't comply. Some people respect requests. That's the difference. :cool: I'm just trying to portray that difference between those who only respond to authority and those who respect requests. I don't get worked up or incensed about it. It's just an observation. Those who are in the "only respond to authority" category tend to get incensed when you point it out to them, even though they've already admitted it themselves, with comments like, "And you're right, the cruise line has a choice to enforce a code or not and they have clearly made it, so on that basis I don't give a darn, why should I?"

Edited by Paul65

If you want to set your own dress code policies then buy a yacht and do so. Your boat, your rules! :D .

Or a much cheaper option would be to go on a luxury line that DOES enforce a dress code. There are MANY of them out there.

How is that any different than the fashion police on this board telling those that dont want to dress up to go to the Windjammer? :rolleyes: Its not!

And I will say this again. If Adam wants to have a standard and expect people to follow it, he needs to tell his waiters to stop telling people to not worry about dressing up and come to dinner in the MDR anyway on formal night.

Personally I follow the dress suggestion for each night. I dont care what others do though and it certainly will not ruin my vacation to see people in jeans or dockers and a polo shirt on formal nights. In fact, I dont pay attention to what others wear at all as long as they are wearing something.

I dont care what others do though and it certainly will not ruin my vacation to see people in jeans or dockers and a polo shirt on formal nights.

I don't think it really ruins anyone's vacation. That's a common false dichotomy that always gets set up in these what-to-wear discussions, that someone either doesn't care at all or they let what other people wear ruin their vacation. There is plenty of middle ground in there. :)

The most common thing you'll see during Royal's formal night is men in dark suits and ladies in black coctail dresses.

I agree. Dark suits and dresses. I also agree you probably opened up one of the most debatable topics on cruising! I stand with the adage that they call it "formal" night for a reason. Have fun, dress up!

You prefer to only honor demands that will be enforced if you don't comply. Some people respect requests. That's the difference. :cool:

Why have you substituted the cruise lines words of "optional", "flexible" and "suggested" with the word "request"?

No one from the cruise line has "requested" I dress in a particular way so I find it quite insulting for you to claim that I am in anyway disrespectful of requests per se and that you assume I only honour demands.

I have been on many cruises over the last 7-8 years, was on Allure in February and will be on Adventure shortly. At no time has anyone "requested" I dress for dinner, not even the Captain and I still wear jeans and T shirts.

Some people do not respect other peoples right to make a choice when presented with an option and choose to insult them when they think the wrong choice was made. That's the difference :(

Miopyk

Why have you substituted the cruise lines words of "optional", "flexible" and "suggested" with the word "request"?

No one from the cruise line has "requested" I dress in a particular way so I find it quite insulting for you to claim that I am in anyway disrespectful of requests per se and that you assume I only honour demands.

I have been on many cruises over the last 7-8 years, was on Allure in February and will be on Adventure shortly. At no time has anyone "requested" I dress for dinner, not even the Captain and I still wear jeans and T shirts.

Some people do not respect other peoples right to make a choice when presented with an option and choose to insult them when they think the wrong choice was made. That's the difference :(

Miopyk

Sorry. I didn't mean to make any big distinction between "suggest" and "request." If I see that the suggested attire for dinner is (fill in the blank), I think of that as a request that I dress in that manner. But the semantics of word choice was not my point. It was just that some people only respond to authority, while others respond to suggestions. (While you're on semantics, though, I don't see it published on the website or in the cruise compass as an "option", only as the suggested attire. Of course, suggested carries the connotation that it's not mandatory, but since you are whining about substitution of words, you should stick only with suggested.)

You have made one of my points, though, by claiming I was insulting you. You, yourself, claimed that you didn't care, and wondered why you should care, because the cruise line has chosen not to enforce a dress code. Yet you claim it is an insult that I point out what you have said about yourself.

Edited by Paul65

Sorry. I didn't mean to make any big distinction between "suggest" and "request." If I see that the suggested attire for dinner is (fill in the blank), I think of that as a request that I dress in that manner. But the semantics of word choice was not my point. It was just that some people only respond to authority, while others respond to suggestions. (While you're on semantics, though, I don't see it published on the website or in the cruise compass as an "option", only as the suggested attire. Of course, suggested carries the connotation that it's not mandatory, but since you are whining about substitution of words, you should stick only with suggested.)

You have made one of my points, though, by claiming I was insulting you. You, yourself, claimed that you didn't care, and wondered why you should care, because they cruise line has chosen not to enforce a dress code. Yet you claim it is an insult that I point out what you have said about yourself.

I have no idea what you are talking about other than the fact you appear to prefer insults to making lucid points to support your case.

Miopyk

Trust me it doesn't ruin my dinner! I look forward to dinner in the MDR every night! However, it is inconsiderate and selfish especially when the suggestions are there for a reason! FORMAL night doesn't mean where whatever you want night!!! :) It should not even be a topic of discussion. White table cloth restaurant not Applebee's! Common courtesy! Entitlement yet again! So sad..... :(

But you said it ruins it for you and everyone else. What reason are the suggestions there for? Will the dining room implode? How do you feel after "formal night" dinner at shows or clubs where there are people in casual attire? Does it ruin that as well.

IMO, as long as someone is neat, clean and covered I don't give what they're wearing much thought and certainly don't let it intrude on my enjoyment.

The concept of "formal attire", especially for women, has quite a range. From e-how:

Whether it's a night-time ball or a daytime wedding, women's formal wear is clothing that's meant to make you feel special. Formal wear comes in a number of categories, including cocktail, ball, prom and church, and is always something that looks out of the ordinary. For some women, it's a sparkly minidress or a satin skirt suit; for others, a lady's tuxedo or a ballgown makes the occasion.

So ladies (and gents) as long as what you're wearing makes you feel special you're all set.

Edited by NJcruisenewbie

Here we go....Let me keep the thread alive!

g655115633g6.gif

So what do folks mean when they say it "Ruined" their vacation. Do you al go around the rest of the cruise sulking and complaning that folks were not formally dressed? Sit around talking about it on your balcony, in your cabin, on your excursions, at the shows, at the clubs?? Do you get drunk into a druken stupor because your vacation is now ruined by those folks on the other side of the MDR that were not dressed formally? Do you get home and tell all your friends and family that your vacation was "Ruined" because there were people that did not get dressed for formal nights? I'm just asking because we have "NEVER" discused it while at dinner on formal nights or afterwards. I never even knew people did talk and argue about it till I started hanging out on Cruise Critic on the regular! :cool: