Visiting Benoa BALI - Visa required beforehand?

Hello all

Our cruise Over the Top of Australia from Sydney to Fremantle visits Benoa in Bali.

A question has been asked on our Roll Call whether or not the ship will organise visas on-board or will we need to arrange it here prior to sailing. :confused:

I'm sure someone here will know the answer!

Thanks in anticipation of a reply. Gae

Hi Gaechann

We were on the Sun Princess last April and called into Benoa Bali for a day. The ship organised visas for all passengers whether getting off or staying onboard. The cost was $AUD25.00.

Hi Gaechann

We were on the Sun Princess last April and called into Benoa Bali for a day. The ship organised visas for all passengers whether getting off or staying onboard. The cost was $AUD25.00.

Thanks for your quick reply!

May I ask what tour you did there? Was it a ship's tour or a private tour?

Gae

We were in Benoa last year on Arcadia, nothing at Benoa, just a Port. You need to go on a tour, which we did - ships shorex, the usual temples, markets etc. As LC1950 says, you don't need to get a Visa, ship gets them for everybody whether you get off the ship or not, they put it on your onboard account, just like a bottle of wine !

Hi Gae it is simple to organize a tour online for Bali, with so many aussies visiting Bali all the time loads of trustworthy private tour companies have been operating online for years.

Word of warning, Bali traffic is a nightmare and if on a distance tour like the volcano best use the ship tours. 4 people missed the ship on my Bali cruise because their private tour driver was stuck in traffic, the captain to his credit waited 2 hours but in the end he had to leave without them:eek.

In Benoa you will be in a fenced off secure area away from the hawkers, only ships tours and authorised tours will leave from the secure area but if you arrange private transport your driver will be waiting just outside the compound.

If you just want to shop there are plenty of taxi,s each way into Kuta and its a fairly short trip.

If you get dropped off at Centro shopping mall there is a row of enclosed ATM machines on the opposite side of the road,if you make your way to Kuta on foot there are shops all the way to Kuta square then all the way up Legian road to Seminyak(SP).

The Indonesian immigration usually hold your passports onboard the ship so dont miss sailaway lol.

When stopped at Benoa on our way to Singapore we hired a taxi for the day.

Having done my research, I knew that $50 for the day was more than fair. Just be prepared to haggle. We were approached by an "agent" inside the fence. When he tried to talk us into a higher price I said that we'd find someone else and he immediately decided that he was happy with $50 AUS for the day (and not per person - we'd been warned to watch out for that trick).

We had a great day and saw lots that we wouldn't have seen on our own and for a fraction of the cost of a ship's tour. Also we had the flexibility to spend as little or as much time at each of the places. We saw: an orchid garden, a batik factory, an art gallery, a silversmith's and a traditional village. We told the driver we needed to be back an hour before we actually did. I'm glad we took this precaution because as others have said the traffic can be nightmarish and we may have missed the boat!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you take a taxi/van , or private tour , be prepared for the inevitable stop at

"a friend of mine has batik factory give you very good price"....

also craft , jewellery and art galleries.

The ships tours will do the same and its all par for the course in Bali.

Some of the stops are actually very interesting.

The ships tours are already up on RCI site for the Top End cruise in Oct 13 with prices. You would be able to do some comparisons with private tours, prices etc. Last year we were a little late getting from ship to port but as we were booked on ship's tour, no problems. As we wanted to go to Ubud we opted for arts and crafts shopping tour - silver, wood carvings and art. Air conditioned coach, free handmade hat, bottled water or cordiol as well as packaged snack - chocs or biscuits. Enjoyed the scenery probably more than the shopping. It was a half day tour and we thought we could have fitted in Kuta as well but we were pushed for time and a long queue was already forming to get back to the ship so opted out of going to Kuta. Maybe this year.

Hello all

Our cruise Over the Top of Australia from Sydney to Fremantle visits Benoa in Bali.

A question has been asked on our Roll Call whether or not the ship will organise visas on-board or will we need to arrange it here prior to sailing. :confused:

I'm sure someone here will know the answer!

Thanks in anticipation of a reply. Gae

hi Gae, we did this cruise last year on Radiance and the ship organises it all for you $25 charged to your cruise card, you just need to hand over your passport on a designated day & time prior to arriving in Bali. it will be returned to you again on a designated day and time after you have left Bali. We did a tour in Benoa (definetly advise to do some sort of tour) We used a company called The Bali Driver which can be contacted at www.thebalidriver.com. We booked it online with plenty of communication beforehand as to what we wanted to do. Driver met us at the wharf, we had a full day with him and were dropped back at the ship at the end of the day all for $47.00Aud for six of us for the day(that was for all 6 not each!) including drivers lunch.....amazing so cheap! Robin:)

hi Gae, we did this cruise last year on Radiance and the ship organises it all for you $25 charged to your cruise card, you just need to hand over your passport on a designated day & time prior to arriving in Bali. it will be returned to you again on a designated day and time after you have left Bali. We did a tour in Benoa (definetly advise to do some sort of tour) We used a company called The Bali Driver which can be contacted at www.thebalidriver.com. We booked it online with plenty of communication beforehand as to what we wanted to do. Driver met us at the wharf, we had a full day with him and were dropped back at the ship at the end of the day all for $47.00Aud for six of us for the day(that was for all 6 not each!) including drivers lunch.....amazing so cheap! Robin:)

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I'll have my elderly Mum with me and she's keen to see as much as she can so I'll certainly get a tour organised - hopefully a private tour as some of you have suggested.

Gae

Which cruise line are you going with? HAL organised or visas onboard but instead of the $25 that the visa costs and other cruise lines bill you they charged us $50. Was not impressed.

I read that some Cruise lines charge a processing fee on top of the usual $25US

VOA fee:rolleyes:

The Indonesian Immigration officers were on our ship for 3 I/2 days, They got on when we entered Indonesian waters and got off when we left Indonesian waters and could imagine they run a mini office lottery to see who is lucky enough to get this plum job! I noticed them all around the ship and have never seen people eat so much! I think they actually cost the cruiseline money lol

If HAL kept the extra $25 pp then thats a huge amount of money!

Gae here are details of a driver we used for years.

I suggest you email him and begin a conversation. Give him time to reply as he doesn't always access his emails daily. Tell him Di says Hi

Budda is a great driver although I haven’t used him for a few years as we drive ourselves most times now.I have known this young fellow and his family over 15 years. He is located in Seminyak. Here are his contact details . If you go on a really long all day trip I pay 600,000 to 800,000. Half days I pay 400,000. You can get a driver $5 or $10 cheaper but once people use Buda they never bother with cheaper drivers. He will take you to good banks to change money and is a great shopping companion – he just waits and never asks are you done yet .

BUDA – I Nyoman Budayasa

from over seas + 62 81 338 250 300

from Bali 081 338 250 300

Gae here are details of a driver we used for years.

I suggest you email him and begin a conversation. Give him time to reply as he doesn't always access his emails daily. Tell him Di says Hi

Budda is a great driver although I haven’t used him for a few years as we drive ourselves most times now.I have known this young fellow and his family over 15 years. He is located in Seminyak. Here are his contact details . If you go on a really long all day trip I pay 600,000 to 800,000. Half days I pay 400,000. You can get a driver $5 or $10 cheaper but once people use Buda they never bother with cheaper drivers. He will take you to good banks to change money and is a great shopping companion – he just waits and never asks are you done yet .

BUDA – I Nyoman Budayasa

from over seas + 62 81 338 250 300

from Bali 081 338 250 300

Email sent to Buda!

I have some Indonesian money from when I visited there in 2010 so should I pay that way or in $AUD?

I don't know the conversion rate but guess I can look it up.

We are travelling up the Radiance of the Seas for those who asked.

Gae

Gae I hope he is available . I have always felt so safe with him and have never had negative feedback about him. When I was in hospital there he wanted to stay at the hospital ( to look after me) I had to explain that we don't do that here . He will take you to a reliable money exchange . If you want to shop you will need rupiah.

At the moment they are still getting well over 9000 to the $AUD but could be down by the time you go

Di

Edited by didiaust

Email sent to Buda!

I have some Indonesian money from when I visited there in 2010 so should I pay that way or in $AUD?

I don't know the conversion rate but guess I can look it up.

We are travelling up the Radiance of the Seas for those who asked.

Gae

you can get the IDR money from the post office but the smallest amount is $200, if its like Lombok the taxi drivers will take AUD and they had people at the tender port would buy the local money back

you can get the IDR money from the post office but the smallest amount is $200, if its like Lombok the taxi drivers will take AUD and they had people at the tender port would buy the local money back

AUD $ might be ok for taxis but you will definitely need it for everything else especially shopping.

AUD $ might be ok for taxis but you will definitely need it for everything else especially shopping.

We were able to buy things at the market using AUD, and we paid our driver in AUD. However, I was astounded when someone in our group came out of a fast food shop (Hungry Jacks or similar) totally disgusted that they could not buy a drink with AUD. :D After waiting for them for about 20 minutes to get to the top of the queue, and then not be able to buy this absoutely-essential drink, I asked them if they thought someone could buy a drink at a Hungry Jacks in Australia using Indonesian Rupiah. :D

We were able to buy things at the market using AUD, and we paid our driver in AUD. However, I was astounded when someone in our group came out of a fast food shop (Hungry Jacks or similar) totally disgusted that they could not buy a drink with AUD. :D After waiting for them for about 20 minutes to get to the top of the queue, and then not be able to buy this absoutely-essential drink, I asked them if they thought someone could buy a drink at a Hungry Jacks in Australia using Indonesian Rupiah. :D

I have put up the same argument on here many times when I see complaints about not being able to use Aussie Dollars in Noumea. Some of these people must live in a void... a void that other cultures and countries exist.

I'm glad that ignorant Americans are not the only ones who thinks the world revolves around their homeland.

Gae I hope he is available . I have always felt so safe with him and have never had negative feedback about him. When I was in hospital there he wanted to stay at the hospital ( to look after me) I had to explain that we don't do that here . He will take you to a reliable money exchange . If you want to shop you will need rupiah.

Di

Hi Di - I still haven't heard back from the driver you recommended. What do you suggest? :confused:

Gae

Hi Gae,

When we called at Benoa we had a CC private tour lined up, but as the bus left the port area there were lots of "taxi vans" lined up along the road with drivers standing beside each one. If you dont arrange one before the cruise , I am sure you will be able to pick one up on the day.