Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

Am I seeing that right? They've already got the keel laid for the next section of anthem, and new blocks going on top already? That's incredible how fast they can stick those blocks together.

you can see the blocks have been mostly assembled and staged off to the side and are ready to be lowered and welded into position.

Edited by Overtyme

Am I seeing that right? They've already got the keel laid for the next section of anthem, and new blocks going on top already? That's incredible how fast they can stick those blocks together.

you can see the blocks have been mostly assembled and staged off to the side and are ready to be lowered and welded into position.

It is truly remarkable to watch this come together so fast and efficiently. At the rate they are going Anthem could be floated out way ahead of schedule.

Can you image what Meyer Werft could do if they are indeed able to finalize the purchase STX Finland Ship Yard where Oasis and Allure where built!

It is truly remarkable to watch this come together so fast and efficiently. At the rate they are going Anthem could be floated out way ahead of schedule.

Can you image what Meyer Werft could do if they are indeed able to finalize the purchase STX Finland Ship Yard where Oasis and Allure where built!

You mean France? ;)

You mean France? ;)

No Turku, Finland. See article in link below

"Finland partners with Meyer in bid to acquire Turku shipyard"

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=6677:finland-partners-with-meyer-in-bid-to-acquire-turku-shipyard&Itemid=231

Edit: I know the new Oasis class ships are being built in France but my point was that Mayer Werft could do even more with Cruise ship building if they had a bigger yard such as the STX Finland yard.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=6677:finland-partners-with-meyer-in-bid-to-acquire-turku-shipyard&Itemid=231

Edit: I know the new Oasis class ships are being built in France but my point was that Mayer Werft could do even more with Cruise ship building if they had a bigger yard such as the STX Finland yard.

Agreed. Their existing facility is size limited. It would be pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Agreed. Their existing facility is size limited. It would be pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Don't know what's happening with STX Finland, but it turns out that Meyer Werft is going into the super yacht building business:

http://www.noz.de/lokales/papenburg/artikel/481717/papenburger-meyer-werft-steigt-in-jachtbau-ein

Edited by Lloyd555

Turku's main problem doesn't seem to be the management, it's the country. Finland was giving incredible incentives to build ships, they have stopped. Their is an export tax involved with anything that leaves the country, this is huge for something the size of Oasis. On Oasis 3 they refused to give any kind of incentives to ease the building cost so they went to France instead. If the government doesn't start offering incentives it doesn't matter who owns it, people will still go to other countries that are offering them. The yard in France that won Oasis 3 is owned by the same company that owns Turku, not sure it could be any more obvious than that. It's a real shame, the workers in Turku have done an incredible job for decades and now only have a few Tüi (still RCCL) ships to build.

Don't know what's happening with STX Finland, but it turns out that Meyer Werft is going into the super yacht building business:

http://www.noz.de/lokales/papenburg/artikel/481717/papenburger-meyer-werft-steigt-in-jachtbau-ein

With that said, here comes the Quantum Yachts :). I am sure they would build incredible ones.

Turku's main problem doesn't seem to be the management, it's the country. Finland was giving incredible incentives to build ships, they have stopped. Their is an export tax involved with anything that leaves the country, this is huge for something the size of Oasis. On Oasis 3 they refused to give any kind of incentives to ease the building cost so they went to France instead. If the government doesn't start offering incentives it doesn't matter who owns it, people will still go to other countries that are offering them. The yard in France that won Oasis 3 is owned by the same company that owns Turku, not sure it could be any more obvious than that. It's a real shame, the workers in Turku have done an incredible job for decades and now only have a few Tüi (still RCCL) ships to build.

Agreed on your points above. There was a lot of pressure on the various ministries in Finland to get that Oasis 3 project which they failed on. Now with this one, if they lose it they may lose their whole shipbuilding industry which would be bad for their economy.

[ATTACH]315726[/ATTACH]

Found this on twitter

That is new and something we have not seen before that I can remember. What deck do you think this is on? Outside the Windjammer? Thanks for sharing the photo.

Edit: Maybe not outside the Windjammer but somewhere else on the sides.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

[ATTACH]315726[/ATTACH]

Found this on twitter

Haven't seen that mentioned for Quantum yet. The new Princess ships have a walk way that goes out on the pool deck with an entirely glass floor. The older Celebrity Millennium-class ships have port holes in the floor of one of the venues (possibly the buffet) that looks down on the ocean as well. This would be a first for Royal Caribbean though.