expecting 150 at meet and greet

dundeene

WOW

Our June 11th cruise has 150+ RSVPs to the meet and greet. We have an active roll call and I expect a large group.

Has anyone had a group this big on Marina or Riviera in Horizons?

Our past 3 cruises had much smaller groups (45-60)

I did ask my TA to email Oceania to give them a heads-up for staffing etc.

We've had 100+ but not 150 attend the M&G - that is a very large group. Probably too large to do a lot of meeting and greeting but should be very lively!

Do you have a specific concern?

If you are wondering about the space for the group the Concierge on board should be your contact to arrange a venue (I imagine Horizons) and time. They will ensure bar staff is on hand. Sounds like a fun cruise

First things first, you should only realistically expect that 80 to 85 percent of the group that has registered will show.

People tend to sign up with every good intention, but once on the ship there are ALWAYS conflicts.

If your Meet & Greet is on Sailing Day, then the bugbear of travel fatigue will also creep in; if you schedule it for later in the voyage then all kinds of activities, from Cooking Classes to Specialty Restaurant Reservations, or God Forbid.....BINGO may be up against you. :eek:

In any case, your best bet is to get somebody in your group to meet with the Concierge as early as is practical on the first day of your cruise to alert him of your plans.

Although your Travel Agent may be able to reach the Concierge beforehand, you should not expect that any of the groundwork will be accomplished until you are on the ship as the Staff is encouraged to deal with each group of passengers in their turn.

Best of luck with your gathering and if we can help in any way, please drop us a note. (see below)

Safe Travels! :D

with meeting with the Concierge on the day of sailing.. They have ALWAYS been unavailable to me ..so that has...for me...been "a no show".......and ...when finally able to contact with them...we were "on our own!!"....re a Meet and Greet!!!

As mentioned MANY times on this board...it seems to be WHO you know...in order to arrange something!! So good luck.. LuAnn

Once we boarded Marina in Lima last month I dropped off a hand-written note at Reception for the Executive Concierge advising him of our plans for a CC M&G in Horizons that evening after the lifeboat drill. Shortly afterwards, he telephoned me in our stateroom to say that he was making arrangements and when we got to Horizons there was a section roped off saying "Private Function".

It all worked perfectly, except for one slight hitch -- since we overnighted in Lima the Lifeboat drill was not held that first day, so people were confused. Some came the first day, some came the second day after the drill. But in the end it all worked out.

Hi LuAnn!!! How are you and Kenneth??? Best regards, Marsha and Lou

I've never had a single untoward issue when dealing with an Oceania Concierge, in fact, they have always gone out of their way to be gracious to us, and to the groups of Cruise Critics that we have traveled with.

As noted in another Thread which is prominent at this moment, exceptional service is one reason why we tip generously and early. Many passengers have almost no contact with the Concierge, but because we always do, we make a point of rewarding the extra effort!

Another thing to consider is that the passengers in the big Suites are more likely to get face time with the staff on busy days like Embarkation Day. If such a person is involved in your Meet & Greet, ask them to be the liasion.

Once we boarded Marina in Lima last month I dropped off a hand-written note at Reception for the Executive Concierge advising him of our plans for a CC M&G in Horizons that evening after the lifeboat drill. Shortly afterwards, he telephoned me in our stateroom to say that he was making arrangements and when we got to Horizons there was a section roped off saying "Private Function".

It all worked perfectly, except for one slight hitch -- since we overnighted in Lima the Lifeboat drill was not held that first day, so people were confused. Some came the first day, some came the second day after the drill. But in the end it all worked out.

Hi LuAnn!!! How are you and Kenneth??? Best regards, Marsha and Lou

to you both!!!! Glad all went well for you re the M&G!!!! I tried to meet Him/Her concierge in person...along with another CC member and we had no luck!!! ...hung out at the Concierge Desk during the times he/she were to be there on embarkation day...with no luck! Maybe a note would have been better than a "face to face" attempt. As it never worked out...and we had "to do our own thing"...as it always seems to go with O these days...even with you...you had set up a time on the R/C and then...because of the time of the life-boat drill...it wasn't clear for all....it just really "burns" me that we get no help prior to the cruise!!! Hope to see you soon again on O...but right now we have now current plans on them...and you???? LuAnn

One of the few things not included in cruise fare on Oceania is alcohol. Are cruisers going to attend a get-together in a pub and not order a libation?

It seems to me that an informal meeting of this size on the 1st day in Horizons would lead some weary cruisers to abandon their stateroom. They may enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail and increase Oceania's bottom line. I believe any event that draws 150 persons into a lounge on-board is good for business. Whether the plans are made on-line (cruisecritic) or arranged by an alumni group, the event will most likely sell additional drinks.

Our meet and greet includes all of those we have arranged transfers or tours with, friends, friends of friends, past cruise-mates etc. I do not want special treatment from Oceania. I do want them to have an idea of numbers before we board so that they can plan staffing accordingly. It takes quite a number of servers to take care of 150 people arriving at about the same time. All of whom are tired from travel and would like to relax with a glass of wine or other beverage.

I see references to this event and I am interested in attending, but I can't seem to find a way to "register" or learn the time or location, if it has been determined. Can someone clue me in? :)

I see references to this event and I am interested in attending, but I can't seem to find a way to "register" or learn the time or location, if it has been determined. Can someone clue me in? :)

Go to the ROLL CALL section

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=420

Look for the ship you are on ....then look for the date of your sailing

Then just post in there

Someone will be the keeper of the M & G list & they will post the where & when

Enjoy

Lyn

I sincerely hope you have a great time with your 100+ gathering. I am sure they will treat you right.

As someone mentioned earlier and as Jim and Stan advised that maybe only 80% will show up.

From experience I have found the actual meeting and greeting at gatherings of over about 40 to 50 is both limited and like rather crowded with no one really meeting anyone . I have found it far better to drop a line to those folks with whom I may be sharing a tour or have written and having a more personal meeting.

However, best to you all but keep your expectations slightly reserved.:o

Dundeene: We also had a VERY large RollCall List this past fall on our Marina cruise. There were no 'formal' arrangements made with O prior to sailing. It was mentioned, thru our RollCall, we'd meet in Horizons the 1st evening after the Drill. Our 'list-keeper' had made name tags which was helpful to identify each other. No designated area (although we ended up gathering along the right side of the lounge) no special service, we each ordered our own drinks, served without delay. We mingled, introduced ourselves, search out people we'd arranged tours with. It was fun & relaxed, and it turned out great!

Just thought I'd share this.

I enjoyed following this thread because i am organizing the Meet & Greet for the July 5 sailing of the Marina. I contacted Oceania Cruise Lines and I was told that we could meet in the Horizons Lounge but they wouldn't arrange for a Cruise Critic sign in advance. I have to contact the concierge upon arrival. I'll bring a computer generated sign which I can hold and a fellow passenger is bringing name tags. We currently have 37 people signed up when we meet at 6:30 p.m. prior to sailing. My fellow tourmates on the 3 day St. Petersburg tour and others from my Gdansk tour will be attending and it will be great to meet before our tours. I welcome any suggestions that you might have for a successful M&G.

Bonnie

I think that you are all right to "do your own thing"...and I hope for the best for each of you.....I am so sorry that O doesn't want to support CC members...and that we have to "figure out" what is the when, where and how of a very simple M&G!!!!! LuAnn

Join your Roll Call...and then see what they are able to put together...as O doesn't want to support CC! LuAnn

Join your Roll Call...and then see what they are able to put together...as O doesn't want to support CC! LuAnn

We have sailed four times on O, and joined two passenger organized M&G's. It is passing strange that O doesn't support CC fans. Whatever the reason, the policy is inconsistent with O's determined efforts to keep reminding us of their wonderfulness, two for one, free air... It is a rare week without at least two ads from them, hard copy and internet. The cost of one brochure in the Wall Street Journal would fund many M&G's. How about one or two fewer ads, and a nice CC reception instead? O buys everything in bulk, even advertising. Move some pennies from here to there and earn CC goodwill points. I am not suggesting that O supply champagne and caviar, although it's not a bad idea. Simple offerings in a convenient setting would be fine.

We have sailed four times on O, and joined two passenger organized M&G's. It is passing strange that O doesn't support CC fans. Whatever the reason, the policy is inconsistent with O's determined efforts to keep reminding us of their wonderfulness, two for one, free air... It is a rare week without at least two ads from them, hard copy and internet. The cost of one brochure in the Wall Street Journal would fund many M&G's. How about one or two fewer ads, and a nice CC reception instead? O buys everything in bulk, even advertising. Move some pennies from here to there and earn CC goodwill points. I am not suggesting that O supply champagne and caviar, although it's not a bad idea. Simple offerings in a convenient setting would be fine.

my friend!!! I too...do not understand this "stand" ...but I LOVE the idea of champagne and caviar!!! :p:p...but it's not going to happen!!! :( Nor would I expect it...just a place to meet and greet ...scheduled before the sailing....that's all we ask for!!!)

Seriously...I JUST don't GET it....but to be honest...I am DONE with fighting this lack of interest on O's part...for CC....I have met FDR several times...and mentioned this...and it is just not going to happen....SO....I am "folding my tent" and will let other CC members fight this battle. I promise!!! :cool: LuAnn

...I tried to meet Him/Her concierge in person...along with another CC member and we had no luck!!! ...hung out at the Concierge Desk during the times he/she were to be there on embarkation day...with no luck!...

For Future Reference, if you don't see the Concierge, go to reception and let them know you need to talk to him/her...if the concierge is busy e=with embarkation day duties, they will usually find the assistant concierge -- who is often the one who will be arranging things, anyway.

Oceania use to help arrange CC Meet and Greet parties, but they stopped some years ago........I'm sure they have their reasons.

Always were sponsored by the Cruise Director, which was along time ago.

For Future Reference, if you don't see the Concierge, go to reception and let them know you need to talk to him/her...if the concierge is busy e=with embarkation day duties, they will usually find the assistant concierge -- who is often the one who will be arranging things, anyway.

Been there...done that....with no help....and so....as I said...I am "folding my tent"...and will just post on the R/C when and where I think we could meet...the next time I'm on O. And BTW...thanks for emailing me!!! LuAnn

Archived