Tipping statistics

Is it possible to find out what percentage of cruisers DON'T pay ANY gratuities?

I would like to know if this is a big problem for the staff! As their wages are made up largely out of tips.

I am not advocating not tipping. I always tip more than recommended. But is seems a policy that allows people to opt out of tipping anything at all is bound to be abused.

Is this an issue? Do RCCI care?

The people we were with last week said they always take off the tips and pay the servers etc what they think they deserve.

Well we were shocked come the last night when they gave our server $20 between the two of them...

The people we were with last week said they always take off the tips and pay the servers etc what they think they deserve.

Well we were shocked come the last night when they gave our server $20 between the two of them...

Pathetic. But I'm sure they were not the only ones. That's why they should call it a service charge and make it mandatory with no way to opt out.

Pathetic. But I'm sure they were not the only ones. That's why they should call it a service charge and make it mandatory with no way to opt out.

They were not first time cruisers by any stretch either, they cruise 2 or 3 times a year on various lines!

The worst part is they were talking about how good our server had been (we weren't as impressed yet still left the full amount)

If the tips had been prepaid would an additional $20 been acceptable ?

We struggled this year knowing everything had been prepaid but people still seemed to be handing out $20's willy nilly

Phil

Hi Everyone

Mrs Ozone34 and me cruised for the first time for a week on Adventure of the Seas last year. We both enjoyed the cruise so much we have booked again for 2014 and this time it will be our honeymoon (can't wait).

Last year we had MTD so pre-paid tips up front, we also tipped as we went along, for example: spa staff for massage, room service, bar staff and speciality restaurant waiters.

At the end of the cruise week we gave the cabin attendant $25.00, Head Waiter $25.00 and Assistant Waiter $20.00 does this sound about right are would we have been seen as cheap skates?

Cheers.

Hi Everyone

Mrs Ozone34 and me cruised for the first time for a week on Adventure of the Seas last year. We both enjoyed the cruise so much we have booked again for 2014 and this time it will be our honeymoon (can't wait).

Last year we had MTD so pre-paid tips up front, we also tipped as we went along, for example: spa staff for massage, room service, bar staff and speciality restaurant waiters.

At the end of the cruise week we gave the cabin attendant $25.00, Head Waiter $25.00 and Assistant Waiter $20.00 does this sound about right are would we have been seen as cheap skates?

Cheers.

Sounds fine and I am sure was greatly appreciated by those to whom you provided extra money. No, you would not be seen and a cheap skate and especially since you had already prepaid. imho

Is it possible to find out what percentage of cruisers DON'T pay ANY gratuities?

I would like to know if this is a big problem for the staff! As their wages are made up largely out of tips.

I am not advocating not tipping. I always tip more than recommended. But is seems a policy that allows people to opt out of tipping anything at all is bound to be abused.

I think your question should be what percentage of cruises pay the cruiseline their gratuities.

Many cruises prefer to pay cash (the allotted amount) just handing the persons cash makes them feel better. They don't prepay nor have it on their bill.

So I'm not sure there could be an accurate figure. It is my understanding if a stateroom attendant does not get any tip, he completes a form and hands it to RCI. As far as cash tips, I'm not sure if they are all honest when they are given cash.

Last year at a "Captain's Corner" on Monarch, the Captain said that a full 25% of passengers fail to leave any tips for the crew. People were shocked. The Captain was sad. Perhaps that is why they now have a routine daily charge added to the Sea Pass account? They should make it more difficult to remove.

When it comes to tipping on cruises, I've been broken. I used to care, and I used to tip generously, usually above the standard. Generally that is what I do on land, and I figure why do it any different on cruises. But the fact that it has just become this constant issue has worn me out. So I officially no longer care. I pre-pay the tips, or have them put on my account, or whatever the option is that involves absolutely NO effort on my part, and I'm done with it. I have decided wasting any more of my mental energy on this issue is pointless. The cruise line has told me what is expected, okay, I'll do that. End of story.

Hi Everyone

Cheers.

As long as you paid the minimum youn fine. My husband and I pre paid our tips on our last cruise and we had no intention of paying more, however, the staff was so wonderful that we did leave an extra $20.00 for everyone.

:cool:I imagine some don't pay. I like the idea that tips are now added automatically to the sea pass. I was hesitant at first, but figured that it would all come out at the end. Left May 2 nd on 9 day. Upon arrival I handed cabin attendant $20, and asked that I have ice twice per day. At end of cruise, I gave him $50 more, waiter and assistant $60 each and HW $25. Probably over the top, but I received great service as usual. Service adds to the cruise enjoyment:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN (Celebrity) in 68:cool:

When it comes to tipping on cruises, I've been broken. I used to care, and I used to tip generously, usually above the standard. Generally that is what I do on land, and I figure why do it any different on cruises. But the fact that it has just become this constant issue has worn me out. So I officially no longer care. I pre-pay the tips, or have them put on my account, or whatever the option is that involves absolutely NO effort on my part, and I'm done with it. I have decided wasting any more of my mental energy on this issue is pointless. The cruise line has told me what is expected, okay, I'll do that. End of story.

We have still been leaving an extra $20 to $30 with each server and room steward at the end of the cruise, but I am working toward this goal, That it is what the cruise line says is suggested, recommended and pre-paid. So that is my plan on the next cruise, however the service is so good, we will still will end up leaving some extra.

On our cruise 2 weeks ago, we ended up giving our room steward an extra $50 (he reall did deserve it), and $20 each to both our waiters, on top of the auto-billed tips.

Not trying to sound cheap, but why give anything extra to the head waiter? Never even saw him walking around this time.

I feel as if I am a pretty good tipper, but I have mixed emotions about pre-paying gratuities. Maybe the dynamics are a little bit different on a cruise ship. Granted, it's easier for me to pre-pay and then give a little extra at the end of the cruise. But sometimes I feel that pre-paid gratuities allow the hard workers to work harder, and allows the lazy ones to keep being lazy. But everyone on Royal Caribbean seems to work hard, but I am sure that they a percentage that does not. Or does only enough to get by. /B]

We always prepay, whether it is a must (MTD) or an option.

However, I feel "cheap" at the end of the cruise, so we always leave an extra tip. Last cruise, we gave stateroom attendant, waiter and assitant waiter an extra $50 (15 night cruise).

If the tips had been prepaid would an additional $20 been acceptable ?

We struggled this year knowing everything had been prepaid but people still seemed to be handing out $20's willy nilly

Phil

If the tips have been prepaid, it is acceptable to consider it covered and no additional amount is necessary. Even before they started the current process of charging gratuities to your account daily, I tended to add the standard tips to my SeaPass card. I may or may not give a little extra on top of that. Any amount above the normal gratuity is a nice, extra gesture for those who gave you extra good service.

OP- if you had the data you want, what would you do with it?

I don't understand why so many people worry about what other people do- if you tip, and extra, then do it. If your table mate does not- what are YOU going to do about it? Outside of uselessly getting upset, there's nothing you can do.

Pay, be happy, don't worry about others. On YOU can control how you treat other people.

We actually had a conversation with our server last week on the Alure of the Seas about this. He clarified how the whole program works for us. All prepaid gratuities are put into a pool and then split amongst all the wait staff, including those in other food venues. Any cash tips you give them they get to keep for themselves so if you're trying to recognize your server directly it's best to give them cash.

I have always been amazed at the folks that don't tip.. We try and do prepaid and leave extra for those that have gone above and beyond. Usually that seems to be all the staff. There have only been 2 cruises where we did not tip the waiter more, he was not that great and we did 2 nights in a specialty restaurant so figured he came out ok.

I think the policy should be that the tips can't be "opted out of", happy and content staff will work well. If they are getting stiffed on tips continually work ethic will deteriorate. JMHO

Hold backs for what? What is your source?

A stateroom attendant posted their paystub a while back. Royal Caribbean requires stateroom attendants to give $1/passenger/day to their support staff (laundry, galley, baggage, etc). Before automatic gratuities, Royal Caribbean would deduct $1 per day for 85% of the people that the stateroom attendant was responsible for to cover cash tips (unless more than 85% prepaid, in which case they deducted the dollar for the actual number that prepaid).

Archived