cc editor agrees ccl's problem is its pr

H82seaUgo

Hard to dispute that they need a more streamlined response in crisis situations. To keep an apples to apples comparison (rather than the Odwalla comparison cited in the article), RCI's response to the Grandeur fire was exactly how it should be done.

I imagine for whatever reason people behind the scenes simply couldn't agree on what to and/or say while the Triumph situation was unfolding and, as a result, the company was essentially paralyzed by indecisiveness and unable to respond. Just my theory, I have no special proof.

Hopefully moving forward Carnival will learn from this situation and get out in front of future issues, which will hopefully be very infrequent.

Many large corporations (and most politicians), when facing negative news will tend to duck the issue early on instead of coming out and facing it up front. In part this is the legal eagles behind the scenes trying to mitigate liable and legal risks. It does convey an "ostrich with head in the sand" perception from the general public. Most crisis management consultants recommend NOT doing this. It can work to delay response if not all the pertinent facts are known, though. Often "shooting from the hip" at the outbreak winds up making any wound to corporate ego worse. So it takes a finely tuned pr machine to effectively handle negative news. Maybe CCL's PR department needs a new piano tuner.:rolleyes:

She also has said she would not recommend doing a Carnival cruise in the recent past. Since you know she says to people to not go on Carnival .. Id say its more than a pr problem she has with Carnival. pr is nothing.. telling people not to do Carnival is another.

She also has said she would not recommend doing a Carnival cruise in the recent past. Since you know she says to people to not go on Carnival .. Id say its more than a pr problem she has with Carnival. pr is nothing.. telling people not to do Carnival is another.

Ouch!

Sent using Tapatalk 4 Beta.

But really would you tell people to cruise CCL...in 2008 ...2010...yes I would/did

but now....not really

Really? I wouldn't tell someone not to cruise with Carnival. If someone asks me about Carnival I will tell them my personal experience with them and it is very positive. If they ask if I am afraid to sail with them I tell them no, I just booked with them again on the Breeze. If I had any negative experiences to relate, I would, but so far, nope, we loved the Magic and we're looking forward to the Breeze.

At this point, they need a PR team who specializes in crisis management.

I have a feeling the reason why there's no "PR" change is that they do PR in-house, which isn't uncommon. But clearly, they need to fire the VP of Communications.

I recently suggested to a group of USCG veterans that I belong to that we meet in FLL for our reunion and do a cruise on Carnival.I thought I was going to be keel hauled,they all thought I was crazy.The negative PR has not changed my opinion and we will continue to sail Carnival,but they need to do something to change the publics opinion.

I recently suggested to a group of USCG veterans that I belong to that we meet in FLL for our reunion and do a cruise on Carnival.I thought I was going to be keel hauled,they all thought I was crazy.The negative PR has not changed my opinion and we will continue to sail Carnival,but they need to do something to change the publics opinion.

Totally agree with you. CCL can spend money on fixing and updating ship safety systems but they desperately need to fix and update their PR and crisis management - MANAGEMENT.

In a conversation on yesterday, Carnival came up, and the person asked me if I'd recommend them for cruising, and I said yes as I have had only a positive experience with them. As noted, much of the PR problems is with a lack of information coming for the top, who should be front and center in these situations.

Agree.

I would never tell anyone NOT to sail Carnival.

However, I would also no longer actively recommend them as I used to. I haven't been on the CCL recommending bandwagon for close to 2 years now. I just can no longer stand behind the product.

I've sailed Carnival much more the RCCL, but if I had to be on a ship when an incident occurred I'd rather it be RCCL at this point. I'm not sure Carnival really understands yet. Mickey Arison only seems to have basketball on his agenda.

I've sailed Carnival much more the RCCL, but if I had to be on a ship when an incident occurred I'd rather it be RCCL at this point. I'm not sure Carnival really understands yet. Mickey Arison only seems to have basketball on his agenda.

:cool:Everybody knows it's Cahill!!!:rolleyes:

Got on the Fascination about 8 hours after the fire on the RCCL ship. Had a wonderful time even with rain and missing the port I went on this cruise to go to. Still a great time. Most people who have a problem with CCL either have never cruised before or maybe once. They hear about it in the news, say "God I would never do that" and they are correct in one sense.... they never have cruised and never will.

I'm looking at a CCL cruise right now for later this year. Felt very safe on the last one and the many previous ones before that.

I would recommend CCL with the caveat that it is what it is. You want to be in bed by 10pm or want to wear a Tux twice or more in a week? Don't go on CCL... you want to let you "hair" down, have some fun and forget about everyday life for a few days/nights? I say have some fun on CCL.

Maybe Uncle Bob would be willing to come out of retirement, temporarily giving up his work to end chronic homelessness in the Miami area, to fix CCL's chronic PR problems?? :confused:

Uncle Bob is still on the board of directors of carnival corp.

Certainly entitled to her opinion, CSB has never endorsed Carnival. Why in trying times would she change her mind?

Wasn't the only quote from her the last line in an article that was poorly written at best?

PR is only one of the problems.

The reason I don't recommend Carnival to anyone who wants a good vacation has nothing to do with its PR. It has to do with the product being not good enough. However if someone is looking for a cheap getaway, I would still give out Carnival as one of the options.

And it's not just Carnival. I just got back from an Alaska cruise (my second Alaska cruise in 10 months) on HAL's Zaandam. Alaska was great. Zaandam was anythng but. Now I know why an OV cost only $399. You get what you pay for.

Uncle Bob is still on the board of directors of carnival corp.

Certainly entitled to her opinion, CSB has never endorsed Carnival. Why in trying times would she change her mind?

Wasn't the only quote from her the last line in an article that was poorly written at best?

:cool: Everybody says it was better with Uncle Bob in charge???:confused: Is he not still in charge???:cool: About that last quote from CSB!!!:rolleyes: Whatever!!!:o

At this point, they need a PR team who specializes in crisis management.

I have a feeling the reason why there's no "PR" change is that they do PR in-house, which isn't uncommon. But clearly, they need to fire the VP of Communications.

and the CEO

Archived