Any updates on bookings FROM Pt. Canaveral on the Breakaway?

Earlier this year it was possible, for at least a brief few days, on the NCL website to book the Breakaway round trip from Pt. Canaveral (with one of your stops being NYC).

There were some who took advantage of it, and at least one whose reservation still shows on NCL.com.

Now it's like it never happened.

I'm still very curious what it the world was going on there. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the idea of being able to book the Breakaway and only having to drive 20 minutes to get onboard - rather than the distance I'll be travelling in September!

Anyone heard anything else about that?

Tom

If you saw it, it was an error. The Breakaway is committed to NYC only for at least the next 3 years.

The error would likely be that they let their internal ideas out into the wild - but not before some people actually booked. Wonder what will become of those bookings?

... but yes, I realize that NYC is the homeport.

I think it would be great to have a ship where one could embark at more than one location (I seem to recall some sailings amongst the islands doing that). I know that there are archaic (US) laws in place which prohibit certain types of cruises. Would a sailing (such as one where people could also embark/debark at Pt. Canaveral) still not be a "closed-loop" cruise?

It would be more difficult on the crew though, no doubt!

Tom

I think that Florida has more than enough options when it comes to ships and itineraries compared to what NYC has. :) The Getaway's home port will be Miami as well. Breakaway is NYC's ship and should stay there exclusively, IMO (at least initially).

I think that Florida has more than enough options when it comes to ships and itineraries compared to what NYC has. :) The Getaway's home port will be Miami as well. Breakaway is NYC's ship and should stay there exclusively, IMO (at least initially).

I'm all for "options" (so is NCL - ;)) but I understand your wanting to keep that ship all for NYC!

I'm looking forward to our Bermuda sailing - just wish we did not have to travel up there first! :eek:

Tom

This particular sailing did not change the homeport. The change was that you had the option of getting on the ship in Port Canaveral (which was a stop) .... sort of mid-cruise.

I understand this is done sometimes in Europe.

I think it would be great to have a ship where one could embark at more than one location (I seem to recall some sailings amongst the islands doing that).

This is currently happening with Epic in Mediterranean. The ship makes an continuous loop and you can embark in Barcelona (Spain), Marseilles (France) or Civitavecchia(/Rome) (Italy).

This is currently happening with Epic in Mediterranean. The ship makes an continuous loop and you can embark in Barcelona (Spain), Marseilles (France) or Civitavecchia(/Rome) (Italy).

Thanks !

Do they require you to debark at the same port where you started?

Tom

Thanks !

Do they require you to debark at the same port where you started?

As far as I know, at least this summer they sell only 7 day cruises so the answer is yes, it's only sold as a round trip.

As far as I know, at least this summer they sell only 7 day cruises so the answer is yes, it's only sold as a round trip.

My guess is that there are no penalties or fees for getting off "mid-cruise" as there potentially are for sailings originating/terminating in the US (backwards as that seems)!

Tom

I'm all for "options" (so is NCL - ;)) but I understand your wanting to keep that ship all for NYC!

I'm looking forward to our Bermuda sailing - just wish we did not have to travel up there first! :eek:

Tom

We'll share eventually. ;)

I don't know the Jones Act well enough to speculate on the legality of having mutiple points for boarding the ship. I just know it wouldn't be possible to board in Port Canaveral and disembark in NYC (or vice versa). Additionally, it might be a hard sell to convince vacationers that going north first on a Caribbean cruise is something they want to do!

My reservation boarding at Port Canaveral is still intact, I wish it would open up again so I could choose a better location for our family balcony but I am delighted just to have the reservation, this is our only chance to sail the Breakaway as we would never go out of NY. I still don't understand why they would sail the first 2 days with an empty cabin and then the last 5 days (after we get off) with an empty cabin, but maybe they are just testing the waters (no pun intended) I hope those of you who would like to board at PC get the opportunity to at some point. :)

We'll share eventually. ;)

I don't know the Jones Act well enough to speculate on the legality of having mutiple points for boarding the ship. I just know it wouldn't be possible to board in Port Canaveral and disembark in NYC (or vice versa). Additionally, it might be a hard sell to convince vacationers that going north first on a Caribbean cruise is something they want to do!

Going north in the summer for FL residents is by no means a hard sell but rather a great selling point. :) Too bad the ship dies not come to FL then. :(

• 4 months later...
My reservation boarding at Port Canaveral is still intact, I wish it would open up again so I could choose a better location for our family balcony but I am delighted just to have the reservation, this is our only chance to sail the Breakaway as we would never go out of NY. I still don't understand why they would sail the first 2 days with an empty cabin and then the last 5 days (after we get off) with an empty cabin, but maybe they are just testing the waters (no pun intended) I hope those of you who would like to board at PC get the opportunity to at some point. :)

I believe that the Breakaway starts making stops here (as a port of call) next week.

I wonder how many others, such as yourself, will be boarding when she's here.

Is there a roll call for your sailing from Pt. Canaveral, and have you run into others who lucked out and snagged some of those reservations when there were offered?

Tom

I believe that the Breakaway starts making stops here (as a port of call) next week.

I wonder how many others, such as yourself, will be boarding when she's here.

Is there a roll call for your sailing from Pt. Canaveral, and have you run into others who lucked out and snagged some of those reservations when there were offered?

Tom

Hi T & C, I have been on the phone twice in the past month asking if there will be someone to check us in on Mar.11th at the port, the first time I was told that was only offered to international guests (huh?) my resv. says I am a US citizen, anyway the rep just kept repeating it was only for international guests so I gave up. I called last week and was told that they see my resv. and that it was noted that I will be contacted, sounded like they will offer me to board in NY, not gonna happen, I don't fly, rep. was vague but at least gave me more info than the first one I talked to.

I booked the Breakaway 9 months in advance, I booked the Dawn out of Tampa for the week before the Breakaway cruise after my initial call about how to board at PC. I started panicking that they were going to default on our Breakaway cruise so I figured I better have a back up plan, but the booking isn't 9 months out so we won't get double latitude pts. I can't believe they haven't contacted me if they are going to cancel my resv., if they are already aware of the fact they are not going to honor it why don't they just let me know so I can make other arrangements. I love NCL but needless to say I am disappointed in the way this is being handled.

NCL needs to come back to PC, I am sure the ship would sail full, we would probably be on it every week!!

Good luck, Coscab!

I was interested in this cruise also and checked every day. Finally I booked a cruise for February. If Breakaway opened up, I don't know what I would do. I'd probably keep February's cruise and pass on Breakaway.

Hi T & C, I have been on the phone twice in the past month asking if there will be someone to check us in on Mar.11th at the port, the first time I was told that was only offered to international guests (huh?) my resv. says I am a US citizen, anyway the rep just kept repeating it was only for international guests so I gave up. I called last week and was told that they see my resv. and that it was noted that I will be contacted, sounded like they will offer me to board in NY, not gonna happen, I don't fly, rep. was vague but at least gave me more info than the first one I talked to.

I booked the Breakaway 9 months in advance, I booked the Dawn out of Tampa for the week before the Breakaway cruise after my initial call about how to board at PC. I started panicking that they were going to default on our Breakaway cruise so I figured I better have a back up plan, but the booking isn't 9 months out so we won't get double latitude pts. I can't believe they haven't contacted me if they are going to cancel my resv., if they are already aware of the fact they are not going to honor it why don't they just let me know so I can make other arrangements. I love NCL but needless to say I am disappointed in the way this is being handled.

NCL needs to come back to PC, I am sure the ship would sail full, we would probably be on it every week!!

Thanks for the update.

Yes, you'd think that NCL - knowing how many took them up on the offer - would be taking care of things smoothly (in advance) if it's their intention to cancel those reservations. Nothing is to be gained by them putting this off (if that's what they're doing)...

I wonder how many people are in your boat (lol)? I can guarantee you that we would have booked then as well if the suites had not been blocked out for booking. When it was open for booking from PC I checked a few dates and ALL suites were apparently off the table.

I'm thinking that Port Canaveral will be getting an Oasis class ship, or perhaps the Anthem, in the next couple of years. I'd REALLY like to see options from NCL and Celebrity here as well. I'm not holding my breath on that though!

Tom

Carnival used to sail the Tropicale on cruises where passengers could embark at Tampa or New Orleans. It can be done on a regular basis. I believe the same thing happened when the Dawn first started sailing. NCL allowed bookings from Port Canaveral but it only lasted a short time.

Thanks for the update.

Yes, you'd think that NCL - knowing how many took them up on the offer - would be taking care of things smoothly (in advance) if it's their intention to cancel those reservations. Nothing is to be gained by them putting this off (if that's what they're doing)...

I wonder how many people are in your boat (lol)? I can guarantee you that we would have booked then as well if the suites had not been blocked out for booking. When it was open for booking from PC I checked a few dates and ALL suites were apparently off the table.

I'm thinking that Port Canaveral will be getting an Oasis class ship, or perhaps the Anthem, in the next couple of years. I'd REALLY like to see options from NCL and Celebrity here as well. I'm not holding my breath on that though!

Tom

When I've checked the Epic a few times they also didn't offer the suites sailing the Med from the two alternate ports of embarkation.

Archived