Half a Patch?

Has anyone ever tried using half a patch? I get very seasick, but also suffer some side effects from the patch meds. I've been considering using a whole patch to start with, then cutting it in half a day into the cruise and trying that.

Just curious if anyone else has given that strategy a whirl...

I don't know what's in that patch, but they cautioned me to be very careful when removing it, i.e., touch it by the edge and try not to get the chemical on my fingers. I'd be concerned that if you cut it, you might release a stronger dose of the chemical.

Do not cut the patch in half! Read your instructions and it will tell you not to do that. I'm not sure why either but as suggested ask a pharmacist or the doc that gave you the rx for them

Why not try something else if you have a bad reaction to the patch. I use Bonine (generic name is Meclizine) and it works great for me with no side effects.

I usually use 1/2 a patch on a cruise that might experience rough waters (e.g., Eastern Caribbean). I found that a whole patch was too much for my system. My husband, on the other hand, must use the whole one or he is unable to get on the ship! I mentioned cutting the patch to my doctor and she said it was ok. I also wash my hands well after handling the patch. I don't use any of the pills as they make me very sleepy and upset my stomach.

Cheers, Elizabeth

As I was told by a ship's nurse, the drugs on the patch are not necessarily distributed evenly over the patch. So if you cut it in half, you wouldn't necessarily be getting half the effect: maybe more or maybe less.

Good point! I guess I've been lucky enough to get the side with less than or equal to half the medication. I'll have to re-think cutting the patch. Luck can only last so long - LOL!

Cheers, Elizabeth

Don't flame me, but my DD always uses half a patch and we change it every other day instead of every three days. The patch dosage is calculated on an average adult body weight (160+ maybe?) and when a person of much smaller stature uses the full patch the effect is more pronounced.

My DD (25 yo now) only weighs about 110 lb. When we started cruising with her (at 17) our dr. advised us to cut the patch in half but to be careful when doing so (wear gloves etc. - which we always did). DD suffered no ill effects from doing this. I think it would be more harmful to let a level of medicine designed for a person more than 50% larger course through her system. JMO

Ginger capsules work well for me for minor motion but for major motion I need my patch. So I start with a full patch and switch to 1/2 at change time. Just be careful to wash your hands thoroughly as the scopolamine will dilate your pupil if your finger comes in contact with your eye. And that isn't fun. But I won't sail without my patch!

Don't flame me, but my DD always uses half a patch and we change it every other day instead of every three days. The patch dosage is calculated on an average adult body weight (160+ maybe?) and when a person of much smaller stature uses the full patch the effect is more pronounced.

My DD (25 yo now) only weighs about 110 lb. When we started cruising with her (at 17) our dr. advised us to cut the patch in half but to be careful when doing so (wear gloves etc. - which we always did). DD suffered no ill effects from doing this. I think it would be more harmful to let a level of medicine designed for a person more than 50% larger course through her system. JMO

No flaming here. I have an adult friend who cuts her patches in half, on her dr's advice and it works fine for her too.

Like many of you, I am prone to seasickness that's too severe for cures like ginger, green apples, wrist bands and the like. Bonine & Dramamine only work for me if the pills are the full-on sleepy variety -and even then, only for mild motion levels. Patches are a necessary part of my cruising wardrobe.

Improved stabilizers mean the ships ride smoother these days, but I'll be in serious trouble if we hit slightly pitchy seas and I'm not already protected with a patch. That said, I think the dosage is higher than I need, which is why I asked this question. BTW, I knew that the directions say to not cut them in half and to take them off after three days. (Yeah, and we all know that pharmaceutical companies' advice is based strictly on their clients' best interests and never with an eye to maximizing profits.)

On occasion, I've left them on for four days, but in rough seas I've been known to change them every other day. I take directions as a guideline, not a rule. :eek:

Good to know that others have cut patches in half with no ill effects. I figured at least some of you CC pirates and rebels had broken that particular rule. Thanks for the info.

http://studentnurselaura.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/transdermal-patches-and-mris/

Disregard the text and look at the picture. The outside of the patch is a clear backing through which drug cannot escape. In the center is a drug reservoir which releases the drug through the membrane which is attached to your skin with the adhesive.

This patch is a drug delivery system that releases drug at a controlled rate. When you cut through the patch, you destroy the system.

I would always try meclizine (Bonine) before a patch. Start taking the night before any travel. Usually you need to medicate before motion sickness occurs but I have had good success taking meclizine as needed.

I think the patch has so many side effects, especially for older/lighter people. It's like killing a mouse with a sledgehammer. Some people may really need it but most should try bonine first.

A friend who tends to get sea sick swears by the bands. She claims to never have any problems when she wears them.

Our grand daughter who gets sick in a car is going to cruise with us this summer for her 1st cruise. Her pediatrician suggested she use bands rather than any meds. So, we shall see.

http://studentnurselaura.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/transdermal-patches-and-mris/

Disregard the text and look at the picture. The outside of the patch is a clear backing through which drug cannot escape. In the center is a drug reservoir which releases the drug through the membrane which is attached to your skin with the adhesive.

This patch is a drug delivery system that releases drug at a controlled rate. When you cut through the patch, you destroy the system.

I would always try meclizine (Bonine) before a patch. Start taking the night before any travel. Usually you need to medicate before motion sickness occurs but I have had good success taking meclizine as needed.

I think the patch has so many side effects, especially for older/lighter people. It's like killing a mouse with a sledgehammer. Some people may really need it but most should try bonine first.

I so agree with this! The patch has some strong medication in there that I react badly to so it's out for me. Never had a problem since I started taking Bonine and so glad that I found it.

A friend who tends to get sea sick swears by the bands. She claims to never have any problems when she wears them.

Our grand daughter who gets sick in a car is going to cruise with us this summer for her 1st cruise. Her pediatrician suggested she use bands rather than any meds. So, we shall see.

I would ask for a prescription for meclizine anyway. For 12 years and older dose is 25-50mg/24 hours. Under 12 dosage must be determined by doctor.

The drug insert specifically states "Do not cut the patch." The patch is a controlled delivery system for scopolamine, a very effective anticholinergic. The patch is engineered to control the release and absorption of the drug. Cutting the patch could result in either a much higher or lower rate of absorption.

"The signs and symptoms of anticholinergic toxicity include: lethargy, somnolence, coma, confusion, agitation, hallucinations, convulsion, visual disturbance, dry flushed skin, dry mouth, decreased bowel sounds, urinary retention, tachycardia, hypertension, and supraventricular arrhythmias."

If you cut the patch, you defeat the delivery system, and can no longer ensure the dosage. I am frankly flabbergasted that a physician would recommend an action that is clearly prohibited on the insert; IMHO, that goes well beyond a recognized off label use...

(And, no, although I am a medical professional, I am not a physician.)

Novartis product insert:

http://www.transdermscop.com/prescribing-information.htm

Hmmm.... might have to give the engineering of this feat a bit more thought.

Maybe cut the protective plastic peel strip in half so that only half of the patch touches the skin and the other half is still against that plastic.

If I take another (regular) round Band-Aid to place over the whole kit and caboodle, that should give me roughly half a dose without compromising the integrity of the delivery system or having the bandage flopping around half-attached.

You know us pirates, there's more than one way to keelhaul a bilge rat!

What thinks ye, me Hearties?

Have you tried meclizine? It's the active ingredient in Dramamine II and Bonine, and available as a generic.

My wife suffers badly from motion sickness, but loves to cruise. She also reacts poorly to scopolamine patches. She found the drop off on the third day to be very bad. In her case, she starts meclizine twice a day 2-3 days before the cruise, and maintains throughout the cruise. She's usually through the drowsiness that sometimes occurs with meclizine by the time we board, and does fine for the duration.

It's at least a thought...

The drug insert specifically states "Do not cut the patch." The patch is a controlled delivery system for scopolamine, a very effective anticholinergic. The patch is engineered to control the release and absorption of the drug. Cutting the patch could result in either a much higher or lower rate of absorption.

"The signs and symptoms of anticholinergic toxicity include: lethargy, somnolence, coma, confusion, agitation, hallucinations, convulsion, visual disturbance, dry flushed skin, dry mouth, decreased bowel sounds, urinary retention, tachycardia, hypertension, and supraventricular arrhythmias."

If you cut the patch, you defeat the delivery system, and can no longer ensure the dosage. I am frankly flabbergasted that a physician would recommend an action that is clearly prohibited on the insert; IMHO, that goes well beyond a recognized off label use...

(And, no, although I am a medical professional, I am not a physician.)

Novartis product insert:

http://www.transdermscop.com/prescribing-information.htm

I am a pharmacist.

Do not cut the patch in half.

This info is correct. By cutting the patch in half, you are affecting the rate by which the drug is absorbed through the skin. If the drug is absorbed more quickly than intended, you could go into "anticholinergic crisis", which is a very serious (and potentially life threatening) situation. The symptoms are listed above, and should be convincing enough for everyone to realize that there is too much of a risk in cutting the patch in half.

I am a pharmacist.

Do not cut the patch in half.

This info is correct. By cutting the patch in half, you are affecting the rate by which the drug is absorbed through the skin. If the drug is absorbed more quickly than intended, you could go into "anticholinergic crisis", which is a very serious (and potentially life threatening) situation. The symptoms are listed above, and should be convincing enough for everyone to realize that there is too much of a risk in cutting the patch in half.

Donna Thanks for the sound advice.

My DW, who has cruised enough to know what a rough sea will do, insists on cutting the patch in half, because the whole patch gives her extreme dry mouth.

I wish that there was something else that would work. Dramamine just makes her sleepy, the bands , and the green apple and ginger don't work. We just finished a crossing on the QM2 from Southampton last week, and had one day of swells to 18 feet. Being on deck 12, forward, I loved it, since it was like an E ticket ride on Disney. However, my DW, with her half patch, had to stay on deck 2 for the day. Deck 2 had almost no motion, but the QM2 is an Ocean Liner, with a different hull structure than that of a cruise ship.

Her doctor knows that she cuts the patch in half, has done it for years, and has always worked. What you are saying, is that she is taking a risk that may not be for the best.

Thanks again.

As an aside, I still read CC but very seldom post anymore. This site is not what it used to be, that of helping others, giving information as one knows it. It's sorry to say the CC is slowly becoming more of a, what do I say.....not what it was, and not something that I really wish to continue to contribute to, unless it's to look for advice.

Rick

Archived