Wine

Baba56

I found the wine lists - as you say, under the sample menus. For those who are curious, I did a sample google of a couple of wines (US and French) listed (modestly priced), and they are about a 200% mark-up from retail. So, for example, a bottle listed by O at $38 - was priced at about $17....

I found the wine lists - as you say, under the sample menus. For those who are curious, I did a sample google of a couple of wines (US and French) listed (modestly priced), and they are about a 200% mark-up from retail. So, for example, a bottle listed by O at $38 - was priced at about $17....

So some savings

if you took the same bottle & add the corkage fee it would be less with O ;)

$38 VS $42

So some savings

if you took the same bottle & add the corkage fee it would be less with O ;)

$38 VS $42

But you can a great bottle of local win at the supermarket in Europe for less than $17 so it has been our experience to buy local. We have our glasses of wine in our cabin when we are getting dress for dinner or just relaxing on the balcony and then just have a glass of wine at dinner ordering the house which is fine.

But you can a great bottle of local win at the supermarket in Europe for less than $17 so it has been our experience to buy local. We have our glasses of wine in our cabin when we are getting dress for dinner or just relaxing on the balcony and then just have a glass of wine at dinner ordering the house which is fine.

The discussion was buying wine in the dining venues

I agree if I take a bottle of wine I drink it in the cabin & maybe have a glass in the bar pre or post dinner

More than 1 glass I am face down in my dinner :eek:

I am a cheap date... drink wise :D

Lyn

LHT28,

I wouldn't bother to bring a $17 retail bottle onboard because, as you say , once you factor in the corkage fee, it's more expensive. What I bring aboard usually retails for $80 to $100 a bottle so $105 to $125 with corkage. If they even had those wines on board they'd probably go for $200 to $250 or more.

LHT28,

I wouldn't bother to bring a $17 retail bottle onboard because, as you say , once you factor in the corkage fee, it's more expensive. What I bring aboard usually retails for $80 to $100 a bottle so $105 to $125 with corkage. If they even had those wines on board they'd probably go for $200 to $250 or more.

I agree, if you are a Conoisseur of fine wines or have wine that you particularly like yes bring it with you

For some of us (ME) I would probably be happy with the $17 bottle stuff :D

Lyn

LHT28,

makes sense to me! My DH calls us a pair of cheap dates - usually one glass each, or we are also face down - well, maybe 2 for a good wine, (or more with great conversational company)! Anyway, if we bring a better bottle with us, and finish half, presumably they will store it for us, and re- present it to us, at our next dining venue - but with no further corkage fee - correct?

Anyway, if we bring a better bottle with us, and finish half, presumably they will store it for us, and re- present it to us, at our next dining venue - but with no further corkage fee - correct?

Correct.

I have found the bar menu, but no prices. Are they available somewhere?

I think someone posted a list of prices somewhere on the forum

You could try the SEARCH feature top right & see what comes up for "bar menu" or "drink Prices"

Maybe someone has a list

Lyn

As I said, your mileage may vary...

JPR, you aren't alone. Many here love the liquor package, others of does don't. If my husband were a drinker maybe we'd take it. But we don't go to the bars and I am satisfied to order a bottle of wine at dinner that lasts me 2-3 nights. We don't see the package as being worth it -- even if only for me.

Mura

New to Oceania. Are you allowed to bring any wine on board to consume in your cabin?

My wife thinks it is tacky (although that is open to debate) to bring our own wine, so we may just purchase the package. We are on vacation after all.

The OP was asking about bringing wine on board. We always bring several bottles with us at Embarkation. Very rarely do we have any bottles with us at Disembarkation. :)

We love to pick up a bottle or two....or three....when we are in port. We have discovered some wine we would have never tasted or found on the ship or the stores back home. If you really enjoy wine, consider adding a quick stop in a wine shop on your way back to the ship with a local vintage. Very rarely have we found a wine we just could not drink and in some cases....we found a wine we adore. On a cruise that included Bordeaux as a port, we found a tiny little shop that we thought was a shoe store. It was a temporary shop for Ruinart Champagne! It became my favorite bubbly and it was just a chance purchase.

One of my favorite Embarkations was our Trans-Atlantic trips. My husband went a head to the ship with our luggage while I ran an errand in Miami. I arrived to the ship with my purse and a single carry-on - a bottle of Veuve Clicquot. The bottle, a gift from friends, showed up at our hotel as I checked-out and so I just carried it with me. The comments were pretty funny as I walked through the cruise center and at check-in - multiple offers of help with my luggage, the single bottle of wine. :D

Summary:

1. Corkage is $25

2. Oceania policy states the amount allowed is to 3 bottles per person (I interpreted this as per port ..hehehehe)

3. Don't abuse the system, but the limit of 3 bottles is usually not enforced, although several cases of wine might be a stretch. :cool:

4. I have never had Oceania not allow me to bring on my wine

5. Don't pack the wine in your checked luggage, unless you have it in sealed-water tight containers, because if the bottle breaks....well you would hate to ruin your trip and anyone else's because your bottle leaked. :eek:

6. Try wine in the ports you visit - it can add to your experience and a way to spend those last foreign coins before leaving port.

7. If you buy a bottle of wine at dinner or bring one thus paying the corkage and don't finish the bottle - you can have them write your room number on the bottle and it will follow you around the ship to your next meal. Our bottles rarely last a course much less a meal but this can be great if only one of you enjoys red wine. Order the bottle, have a glass or two and finish it the next evening in a completely different restaurant.

A bottle of wine for two per COURSE?! I know it's dry in the Mojave Desert but...(;>)

Oops....I guess I should come clean, it is really just me and a straw. :o

(But the story I am going to give the wine police is that we are usually sharing a table with another couple. :D )

SheDevil

Yes, but a half bottle per course? That's at least two bottles per couple...

A standard bottle will pour 4 - 6 glasses of wine...depending on the size of your pour. A 5 oz or 6 oz pour is pretty standard although many restaurants/bars do a 4 oz by the glass pour to maximize their profit.

If you spend an hour and half or two hours at dinner, chatting with new or old friends, sometimes the kitchen is slow, multiple courses and you are enjoying your wine......not unusual. And we have been known to order both a bottle of champagne and a bottle of still wine at the same meal. :eek:

But on the evenings I am the on-board designated driver, I try to limit my consumption to a couple of martinis and one bottle of wine (with my straw of course). ;)

Boy... you should see me at lunch on the weekend. I know a great little spot that serves bloody mary's in 32oz glasses and on Sunday they are two for one. Love to order a couple of rounds of those, great way to spend 45 minutes or so on a Sunday.

Sound like JPR won't be inviting the dining while intoxicated SheDevil to dinner. Kind of a shame, I tell really good stories. :)

not sure what plonk means but we will go for the package and O will loose on the deal. We drink when on vacation.

Is what others drink, Vintage and grand cru is what you drink.

Having lived in the Napa valley for almost 30 years and had a substantial wine cellar, However we are today happy equally by a good box wine. Its all rather relative to what you think your drinking. Good o'le placebo in action.

You might be surprised at what" big name elite wineries" do with over production to maintain their lofty price/supply. A lot is sold off in bulk.... to names you would not believe for jug and box wine.

Why worry, a bottle of wine at dinner isn't that much to drink. Even if you have a few cocktails before dinne........your on vacation-who cares what you bring or drink.

Rick

Rick - my sentiments exactly :D:D.

Archived