Alaska cruise & interior room

izmeeh

I understand that having a window is awesome for an Alaska cruise. However, it's $270 more per person for this 7-day cruise. I'm on a really tight budget and have been cruising out of Long Beach on those 4-day cruises to Mexico for about $700 for 2 before taxes. I have heard Alaska is awesome.

On a Carnival Miracle in July at $679/person for an interior room for 2, is it worth it? Should I wait until I can afford an oceanview? Should I be jumping at this price or this is a typical price for this route? I've always thought the prices of Alaska cruises are much higher.

Thank you.

I understand that having a window is awesome for an Alaska cruise. However, it's $270 more per person for this 7-day cruise. I'm on a really tight budget and have been cruising out of Long Beach on those 4-day cruises to Mexico for about $700 for 2 before taxes. I have heard Alaska is awesome.

On a Carnival Miracle in July at $679/person for an interior room for 2, is it worth it? Should I wait until I can afford an oceanview? Should I be jumping at this price or this is a typical price for this route? I've always thought the prices of Alaska cruises are much higher.

Thank you.[/quote

We did inside and loved it. We love being on the deck and visiting with other cruisers. You could go to front/back of ship and see everything better.

I enjoyed starting my day with some baileys and coffee or hot chocolate with something good in it on the cool mornings.

With that being said we have been on 3 cruises all inside.

We are not in our room that much.

I would rather spend the extra money on a great Alaskan excursion. We loved it

I'd say pack lots of layers so you can spend time on the open decks and don't worry about it. We cruised to Alaska last year in an obstructed OV cabin. The window provided natural light but not enough of view that we could just sit in our room and watch the world go by. We like the inside/obstructed view cabins because it forces us to get out more and explore the ship. We still had a fantastic time and still saw a lot of amazing things, just not from our cabin.

Edit: Excursions in Alaska get pricey so ktravel makes a good point. Put that money towards excursions.

Ive seen prices on HAL for $349 and $399 pp .. I would consider another cruiseline before I would pay that much on Carnival... just me.

HAL has more ships so they seem to have better pricing. I like Carnival too .. but willing to go where the best price is.

Ive seen prices on HAL for $349 and $399 pp .. I would consider another cruiseline before I would pay that much on Carnival... just me.

HAL has more ships so they seem to have better pricing. I like Carnival too .. but willing to go where the best price is.

Prices that low are usually last minute though. I've looked at every single cruise line for an Alaska cruise for next August, and Carnival is the cheapest by hundreds.

OP- Consider getting one of the 4k cabins, interior with French doors. I've never been in one, but I've seen pictures of them. They're not much more than a standard inside and much cheaper than an ocean view or balcony. If you book one of those that's in between the life boats and not quite as obstructed, it looks like you could get some good views. If I do the Miracle to Alaska next year, that's what I'll book for us. A balcony is just way too expensive for me.

Prices that low are usually last minute though. I've looked at every single cruise line for an Alaska cruise for next August, and Carnival is the cheapest by hundreds.

OP- Consider getting one of the 4k cabins, interior with French doors. I've never been in one, but I've seen pictures of them. They're not much more than a standard inside and much cheaper than an ocean view or balcony. If you book one of those that's in between the life boats and not quite as obstructed, it looks like you could get some good views. If I do the Miracle to Alaska next year, that's what I'll book for us. A balcony is just way too expensive for me.

I asked my TA to upgrade from a inside to a 4K and they wanted $600. To me thats a lot.

Time has gone by and prices dropped, though I am not entitled to price drops the way I booked, I gave my TA a FCC toward upgrading and asking again about getting a 4K. Im still working on it, but no way for $600.

Ive got a inside on Miracle.

I asked my TA to upgrade from a inside to a 4K and they wanted $600. To me thats a lot.

Time has gone by and prices dropped, though I am not entitled to price drops the way I booked, I gave my TA a FCC toward upgrading and asking again about getting a 4K. Im still working on it, but no way for $600.

Ive got a inside on Miracle.

That is a lot! :eek:

I just did a mock booking for the sail date I'm interested in next year and it was $200 more for the cabin. If booking early and paying that off over the course of a year, it's not that bad.

That is a lot! :eek:

I just did a mock booking for the sail date I'm interested in next year and it was $200 more for the cabin. If booking early and paying that off over the course of a year, it's not that bad.

My TA has some really cheap gty group rates, less than you see online, but I have no choice of cabins. Some people get upgrades and some dont, you never know.

but if you want a particular cabin you pay more than the usual difference.

I have not done an Alaskan cruise yet although I have heard that on some cruises they have guides/nariaitors on the upper deck that talks about the scenery..Maybe someone can chime in here with details.....Dennis

Thank you for all the feedback.

Firefly, I just checked out HAL and there is one in June for $299/person! However, it departs from Seward (Anchorage), Alaska US and arrives at Vancouver, B.C., CA. I will need to look at transportation options for something like this to work. With the loop cruise, we can just park in Seattle and drive home afterward. Thank you for this awesome piece of information. With your cruising knowledge, would you be willing to put together a list of , generally, best cruiseline (price wise) for certain locations?

When I cruised Alaska we had an inside room and it was juat fine. It forced me to be up on deck which was spectacular! Plus up on deck you have a full view of everything and honestly it was breathtaking up there and I disnt ever want to go inside to warm up or eat...lol. I never felt like I was missing a part of the experience by having an inside cabin and would do that again in a heartbeat just to visit Alaska again.

Thank you for all the feedback.

Firefly, I just checked out HAL and there is one in June for $299/person! However, it departs from Seward (Anchorage), Alaska US and arrives at Vancouver, B.C., CA. I will need to look at transportation options for something like this to work. With the loop cruise, we can just park in Seattle and drive home afterward. Thank you for this awesome piece of information. With your cruising knowledge, would you be willing to put together a list of , generally, best cruiseline (price wise) for certain locations?

There is never one best cruiseline for every cruise, so I take a lot of hits here because I dont just like Carnival.

Im flying to Seattle for my 2nd miracle and taking a bus to vancouver, and then flying home from calif.

so I know what you mean about making things a bit more difficult. The trains from seattle to vancouver are more scenic but dont fit my schedule for $29. The three busses are $45 each and my plan hot Im getting to Vancouver from Seattle.

We did Alaska in an inside cabin on Norwegian (RT from Seattle) a few years ago. It was awesome. You really will want the panoramic view that you can only really get from the outside decks. The second best view is from the Lido dining areas. Third best would be a balcony.

If it's particularly raw weather (and you just never know with Alaska) a lot of folks will be looking at Alaska from the lido dining areas. WOuldn't it make you crazy to have paid for a balcony you seldom used? And a cabin with a window is a pretty restricted view.

So you can be confident that with an inside cabin you are getting a good deal. Have a great time. If you have extra money, spend it on a great excursion!

Our first Alaska cruise we had a balcony and it was one-way southbound from Whittier to Vancouver, BC. AWESOME and I would love to do it again some day. Our second Alaska cruise was from Vancouver to Seattle, ocean view and it was still great. Next month we take our third round trip from Seattle in an inside cabin with French door ocean view. We are taking our two granddaughters and the cost is pretty step with just an inside cabin. I check the rates daily and a number of times insides with French door ocean view were the same pride as just inside cabins. We have gotten four price drops and are paying less than a regular inside cabin.

My advice is check often and watch for fluctuations. I will come back to this thread to update my experience in the inside cabin with French door ocean view if nobody else tells of their experience first. This is our 12 cruise and Alaska can not be beat!

The trains from seattle to vancouver are more scenic but dont fit my schedule for $29. The three busses are $45 each and my plan hot Im getting to Vancouver from Seattle.

Firefly,

I just booked a back to back on Norwegian Sun. May I know the train from Seattle to Vancouver that you're referring to? I've checked Amtrak and it's $60/person to go to Vancouver and $45/person to come back to Seattle for the times that fit the cruise schedule.

Link to post asking for information

If you have the flexibility to go last minute there are some fantastic deals to be scored for Alaska. If not, book a rate that has the ability to price match. For this year's first Miracle cruise I started off in the lowest class of interior cabin for $529 per person. Eventually the price dropped into the low 400's for interior, but we upgraded to obstructed balcony for $619 per person. Not too bad. Some of the other early May ones also had a lot of price drops.

I cruised Alaska last summer on Princess in an inside cabin and would do it again in an inside. The money I saved on an inside cabin helped with the excursion cost $$$$$. It helped that our friends had an amazing aft suite a few doors down-we enjoyed the beautiful scenery from their balcony!

I did Diamond Princess to Alaska three years ago, B2B 14 days in an inside. It was great. this year I am taking my sister to Alaska next month on Coral Princess. $699pp inside for 14 days. Air is nearly as much as the cruise. First time I flew to Anchorage and sailed from Whittier R/T. I will not do that again. this time it's from Vancouver R/T. Why Vancouver? Because it visits Glacier bay. EM

I think for the most awesome scenery you want to be outside on a deck where you can quickly cut from one side to the other. You can't do that if you're sitting in an OV cabin.

Enjoy Alaska!

Roy

We cruised Alaska with a group of friends on NCL a few years ago with a mix of interior, outside & balcony cabins.

It was nice to enjoy some of the scenery from our friends' balcony, but really you want to be on deck to be able to move from one spot to the next for the best view. We were in a picture window cabin closer to the water & I wouldn't have traded the sight of the whale breaching outside our window for the best suite on the ship.

Our friends with the interior loved it. There are VERY LONG days in Alaska during cruise season, and the sunlight would often wake us up at 3 am:eek:

Our friends with the interior said they had the best sleep ever in their interior.

Enjoy, Alaska is marvelous.

Thank you, all. After seeing Firefly's post about the price, I checked and was able to book a last minute B2B cruise for 2 from Vancouver for $259/person for the first leg and $279/person for the second leg on the Norwegian Sun with $100 on board credit for each leg. 14 days! I'm on Amtrak heading to Vancouver now to be on it today. Can't wait!

Archived