How Regent Compares with Oceania

Have not changed my mind -- at least not on Regent! It seemed that there were too many "servers" walking back and forth waiting for someone to need to have something put on their plate on the Riviera. I ended up getting more than I wanted or were able to eat as I got tired of having to discuss each item I wanted -- how much I wanted and, in some cases, which piece I wanted. I really became frustrated when I could not dip my own marshmallow in the chocolate fountain and ended up with it drenched in chocolate when I only wanted a little. There is no sanitation there...... while waiting for someone to give me the drenched marshmallow, I could have dipped my fingers in the fountain if I were so inclined. I would also like to know why a passenger cannot open their own box of cereal and put it in a bowl. Is someone going to open the box - stick their fingers in the cereal and leave it there for someone else?

There are also items that you can serve yourself (mostly condiments). So, the problematic serving utensil that everyone with germs on their hands touches is there.

IMO, it takes much less staff to oversee the buffet (as they do on Regent) to insure that only utensils touch the food on the buffet (and they remove it if there is a contamination issue). The only solution I can think of regarding the "germy" utensils is having napkins available to hold them.

I find it interesting that passengers are concerned about a buffet on a luxury cruise line when they touch menu's, salt and pepper shakers, ketchup and other condiments in restaurants every day. Does anyone really think that these items are sanitized between each use?

This sounds a bit harsher than I mean it to be. Perhaps I am a bit tired of "rules" that do not make sense to me. If I ever saw someone contaminating the food, I would immediately notify someone. Please Regent....... do not take away our ability to have one spoonful of things on the buffet. If some passengers do not want to eat at the buffet, there are other options. It is interesting to read the opinions of Regent customers since Oceania customers seem to enjoy things the way they are.

:)

Edited by Travelcat2

Have not changed my mind -- at least not on Regent! It seemed that there were too many "servers" walking back and forth waiting for someone to need to have something put on their plate on the Riviera. I ended up getting more than I wanted or were able to eat as I got tired of having to discuss each item I wanted -- how much I wanted and, in some cases, which piece I wanted. I really became frustrated when I could not dip my own marshmallow in the chocolate fountain and ended up with it drenched in chocolate when I only wanted a little. There is no sanitation there...... while waiting for someone to give me the drenched marshmallow, I could have dipped my fingers in the fountain if I were so inclined. I would also like to know why a passenger cannot open their own box of cereal and put it in a bowl. Is someone going to open the box - stick their fingers in the cereal and leave it there for someone else?

There are also items that you can serve yourself (mostly condiments). So, the problematic serving utensil that everyone with germs on their hands touches is there.

IMO, it takes much less staff to oversee the buffet (as they do on Regent) to insure that only utensils touch the food on the buffet (and they remove it if there is a contamination issue). The only solution I can think of regarding the "germy" utensils is having napkins available to hold them.

I find it interesting that passengers are concerned about a buffet on a luxury cruise line when they touch menu's, salt and pepper shakers, ketchup and other condiments in restaurants every day. Does anyone really think that these items are sanitized between each use?

This sounds a bit harsher than I mean it to be. Perhaps I am a bit tired of "rules" that do not make sense to me. If I ever saw someone contaminating the food, I would immediately notify someone. Please Regent....... do not take away our ability to have one spoonful of things on the buffet. If some passengers do not want to eat at the buffet, there are other options. It is interesting to read the opinions of Regent customers since Oceania customers seem to enjoy things the way they are.

:)

While I see the potential for better sanitation when people cannot touch the utensils in the buffet line, DW and I much prefer taking our own portions as on Regent. Staff always shuffle out too way much food, even when we ask for a small portion or just a taste. It is very annoying.

While I see the potential for better sanitation when people cannot touch the utensils in the buffet line, DW and I much prefer taking our own portions as on Regent. Staff always shuffle out too way much food, even when we ask for a small portion or just a taste. It is very annoying.

I agree and Travelcat makes an excellent point when she refers to practices endured in hotels and restaurants.

I have never had a problem on Oceania asking for a small taste size portion of something or choosing the piece of chicken or whatever in the buffet line

But that is just my experience ..others my differ

I much prefer the staff to serve the food than have people's grubby paws touching things JMO

The rolls are selfserve & have witnessed people picking up one with their hands then deciding on another & returning the other to the pile

YUCK

YMMD

As a "germophobe" I agree with TC - there can't be enough sanitize measures for me. My pet gripe is finger lickers who pass roll basket, condiments etc.

My observation is most folks DO NOT use sanitizers throughout the ships.

I have never had a problem on Oceania asking for a small taste size portion of something or choosing the piece of chicken or whatever in the buffet line

But that is just my experience ..others my differ

I much prefer the staff to serve the food than have people's grubby paws touching things JMO

The rolls are selfserve & have witnessed people picking up one with their hands then deciding on another & returning the other to the pile

YUCK

YMMD

I totally agree. I sailed with Regent and Oceania and I really appreciate the way that Oceania'staff served us at the Buffet

As a "germophobe" I agree with TC - there can't be enough sanitize measures for me. My pet gripe is finger lickers who pass roll basket, condiments etc.

My observation is most folks DO NOT use sanitizers throughout the ships.

The last time I was on the Mariner, a server stood at the entrance of La Veranda most days and reminded folks to use the sanitizers. I think there should be this kind of "reminder" and perhaps packaged sanitizers throughout the ships. It wouldn't stop "finger lickers" but it might help. Angie

This is just out of curiosity but I was not aware that Oceania's dress code allowed shorts in the evening. If I am wrong someone please correct me. This does not mean that you won't see people in shorts but all dress codes are violated from time to time or there wouldn't be so many threads about them.

This is just out of curiosity but I was not aware that Oceania's dress code allowed shorts in the evening. If I am wrong someone please correct me. This does not mean that you won't see people in shorts but all dress codes are violated from time to time or there wouldn't be so many threads about them.

Henry I guess it is open to interpretation

A request is not a rule & they did allow dress shorts & jeans in the Terrace before so not sure if that has changed

I think they need to be more specific in the REQUESTS ;)

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Edited by LHT28

Henry I guess it is open to interpretation

A request is not a rule & they did allow dress shorts & jeans in the Terrace before so not sure if that has changed

I think they need to be more specific in the REQUESTS ;)

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Could you link us to the quote above. I could find it on TA's website that sell Oceania but not on the Oceania website. We were specifically told on board the Riviera that shorts and jeans are allowed in the Terrace Lounge.

There were quite a few people in jeans and a few in shorts.

Could you link us to the quote above. I could find it on TA's website that sell Oceania but not on the Oceania website. We were specifically told on board the Riviera that shorts and jeans are allowed in the Terrace Lounge.

There were quite a few people in jeans and a few in shorts.

TC,

It's a FAQ at http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx. Select "Before You Go" and "Is there a dress code?" to see the text of the quote.

TC,

It's a FAQ at http://www.oceaniacruises.com/guestservices/default.aspx. Select "Before You Go" and "Is there a dress code?" to see the text of the quote.

''

Thanks much for the link. I guess it is a policy that just isn't adhered to in the Terrace Café. It reminds me of the "rumor" that it was okay to wear jeans in La Veranda.

These recommendations certainly are not enforced in the Terrace where I saw several men at dinner in shorts. When I discussed how casually some pax dress in the evening with higher management in Miami, it was clear that they do not want to put staff in the position of policing how passengers dress. I assume that one would not be allowed in the specialty restaurants in shorts, but don't know for sure.

These recommendations certainly are not enforced in the Terrace where I saw several men at dinner in shorts. When I discussed how casually some pax dress in the evening with higher management in Miami, it was clear that they do not want to put staff in the position of policing how passengers dress. I assume that one would not be allowed in the specialty restaurants in shorts, but don't know for sure.

They do request that you wear dress shorts (if you must wear shorts to dinner) & nice shirt in the Terrace but as you say the staff do not enforce the dress code

I have not seen shorts in any of the other dining venues for dinner but it is not up to me to enforce the dress code

As long as I dress appropriately I am not concerned how other dress

I would prefer management enforce their own rules but their statement reads

"we request" it not not say "we require"

dress up for dinner in Texas is wearing a clean pr of jeans so everyone has different interpretations of Country Club Casual

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

They do request that you wear dress shorts (if you must wear shorts to dinner) & nice shirt in the Terrace but as you say the staff do not enforce the dress code

I have not seen shorts in any of the other dining venues for dinner but it is not up to me to enforce the dress code

As long as I dress appropriately I am not concerned how other dress

I would prefer management enforce their own rules but their statement reads

"we request" it not not say "we require"

dress up for dinner in Texas is wearing a clean pr of jeans so everyone has different interpretations of Country Club Casual

YMMV

Texas is a pretty big state and I am not sure where you came up with that cliche. My Texas country club would certainly not allow jeans in the nicer dining venues at night, and denim is never allowed on the golf course.

When Regent managed the Paul Gauguin there were many men onboard in beautiful Silk dress shorts in the evening - including my husband. In the Carribbean - I would not find it inappropriate. Even in the MDR. Cargo shorts, swim shorts, running shorts - no. In Bermuda - shorts are worn every where. In Europe - even casual nights have been far more formal.

I think you have to take the destination into account and remember that not all things - rules and pants - short or long - are create equal.

When Regent managed the Paul Gauguin there were many men onboard in beautiful Silk dress shorts in the evening - including my husband. In the Carribbean - I would not find it inappropriate. Even in the MDR. Cargo shorts, swim shorts, running shorts - no. In Bermuda - shorts are worn every where. In Europe - even casual nights have been far more formal.

I think you have to take the destination into account and remember that not all things - rules and pants - short or long - are create equal.

Agreed. I love to wear shorts and I had no problem with attractive ones that I saw in the Terrace on my Caribbean cruise. However when we were in Horizons later in the evening or around the Martini Bar etc., and people had on shorts and tee shirts and looked like they were going to the beach, it was a little schleppy for my taste. (Not that it actually affected me)

Totally agree. Having someone serve a full portion when I ask for just a taste really irritates me. Then I have all this food I dont want and havent tried enough of the things I do want to try....

Texas is a pretty big state and I am not sure where you came up with that cliche. My Texas country club would certainly not allow jeans in the nicer dining venues at night, and denim is never allowed on the golf course.

Read my post again

I said Everyone has a different interpretation of Country Club Casual

Yes Texas is very big

My brother was born & raised in Houston ..they go to nice restaurants all the time & never dress up

clean jeans & boots are what they wear

I use to dress up to go out with them but now just go with the flow;)

Ahh, Texas. Stars at night, a prairie sky...

On one Regent cruise a couple from Texas showed up to dinner dressed rather formally (tux for the gent gown for the lady). When asked why the man responded that in their Texas country club, casual for dinner was a dark tux.

Really, and I thought that it was only that way at Downton Abbey!

You must be kidding!! We've done 14 Oceania cruises and 7 Regent cruises. I agree that there is very little comparison. We have no plans to cruise on Regent again. The ships are in desperate need of renovation with old furniture and stained carpet. The Gym on the Navigator is pathetic.

5 star, 6 star, 7 star?????????? You can call yourself anything you want - there is no official rating agency. The proof is in the execution. There are no more beautiful ships at sea than the Oceania Marina and Rivera - and none with better food or service.

But most importantly the service level on Regent has fallen dramatically. The restaurants are understaffed and the specialty restaurants are pathetic. Oceania food is amazing! Fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries and black berries) every day for breakfast! Four free specialty restaurants - all with amazing service.

The things lacking on Oceania are quality guest lecturers, name entertainment and pool side buffets. I've heard from friends that on recent Regent cruises their level of entertainment and lecturers has dropped as well.

We've done over 50 cruises - and love Oceania!

There is NO comparison between Regent and Oceania...why? Because Regent is a LUXURY Cruiseline and Oceania isn't.:p
Edited by SedonaJoel