Really stupid question re: Drinking Water

blaidd ddrwg

Yes, I know, this is probably stupid, but I'll ask anyway.

How is the tap water onboard? I drink an insane amount of water on a regular day, and being in the water and sun and breezes, I know I'll drink more. Instead of always buying or carrying multiple bottles of water, I'd love to just refill my Tervis when on deck. Is this doable? Does the water taste okay?

Thanks!

How is the tap water onboard? I drink an insane amount of water on a regular day, and being in the water and sun and breezes, I know I'll drink more. Instead of always buying or carrying multiple bottles of water, I'd love to just refill my Tervis when on deck. Is this doable? Does the water taste okay?

Thanks!

The water on the ship is very good........

It's doable. The water is filtered and processed. I always put a lemon in it to help. I know it shouldn't make a difference, but only fill your water bottle on the lido deck. Don't do it in your cabin....to me it just doesn't taste the same. Maybe there is an extra filtering system for the drinking water - maybe someone knows for sure?

I always bring my own water onto the ship. I am a water snob. I don't like tap water in most cities. I bring water in my suitcase. In one port I restock with a 12 pack. I also drink a lot of water. Others like booze- I like bottled water. I will also water down the lemon aid and drink that.

Relax and enjoy life.

Thanks!

I drink mostly distilled water. I carry an empty water bottle with me and fill it from the tap on Lido deck. It is very good water, I trust it.

The water is fine. For it not to be when the USPH tests it, they would be in very serious do-do. And, the company--all of the cruise lines--know this.

Oh, I knew it would be safe, I just wasn't sure how it would taste. I have gotten some excellent answers here, so I think I'm going to be just fine with refilling my monstrous cup! Thanks!

I guess my taste buds are different than most. Yes the water taste different on each ship, Some has an awful filtered taste, the older the ship the worse the taste. Water on the Breeze taste fine while water on the Destiny and Triumph were horrible. Yes ,I bring a limited amount of water and buy more at the ports if necessary.

For what it's worth................ I like our water in Ontario right from the tap, but the moment we drive into the USA I have to start buying bottled water, because I can't stand the increased chemical taste I notice. Once I'm on board ship, I switch back to ship water.........even from the bathroom tap, with a bit of ice, I find it to be excellent.

Crew members aren't often thrilled, however, with people filling their water bottles from the Lido buffet.........sanitary issue.

Crew members aren't often thrilled, however, with people filling their water bottles from the Lido buffet.........sanitary issue.

Good to know. I have a Tervis Tumbler I take everywhere that I will be using (bottles for off ship, though - I would be crushed if anything happened to my tumbler!!), so no sanitation issues like with the bottles....

Good to know. I have a Tervis Tumbler I take everywhere that I will be using (bottles for off ship, though - I would be crushed if anything happened to my tumbler!!), so no sanitation issues like with the bottles....

Because of sanitation, the cruise lines have small signs on the drink dispensers that say to use a clean cup every time. So you should not fill your tumbler or bottle at the dispensers. They usually don't enforce this unless there is a norovirus outbreak on the ship. I wish they'd enforce it all the time to minimize the spread of germs.

Because of sanitation, the cruise lines have small signs on the drink dispensers that say to use a clean cup every time. So you should not fill your tumbler or bottle at the dispensers. They usually don't enforce this unless there is a norovirus outbreak on the ship. I wish they'd enforce it all the time to minimize the spread of germs.

Water taste is highly subjective. Usually, you grow accustomed to the taste of your local water supply, and so that becomes "flavorless", but visitors might not agree. As another poster stated, the USPH regulations regarding drinking water on cruise ships is very strict. What many people complain about on the ships is the taste of the chlorine that is required to be present in the water for disinfection reasons. Most ice machines and drinking fountains will have a carbon filter to help remove this taste, which is why those who find their cabin water bad tasting prefer the buffet line water.

The requirement about using a clean glass at the drink dispensers is very important, and is also a USPH requirement, and SHOULD be enforced at all times, and is a good idea for all cruisers from a health standpoint. Any item that has touched someone's mouth (either a ship's glass or your refillable bottle) will have germs on the rim. This rim is what depresses the bar to start the water flowing. The next glass used to depress this bar will pick up the germs from the previous user. For this reason, many ships are going to a laser initiated dispenser, which is touch-free, and therefore more sanitary.

Personally, after 4 years on cruise ships, and being trained by the USPH in their sanitation requirements, I use a napkin wrapped around the fresh glass to depress the dispensing bar.

Thanks!

It's drinkable, but it tastes funny.

I always bring bottled water with me and purchase more at different ports as needed.

I find the water on the ships is drinkable but still contains salt which makes my feet swell if I drink too much of it so I play it safe and bring my own.

The water tastes better from the ice/water dispenser on Lido than in the room or MDR. It seems to be that way on many ships. I drink a lot of water at dinner and ended up taking bottled water to dinner each evening. It does have a taste so personally I would take the water with and if you can handle the tap water then fine, if not you can stock up at each port.

Stay away from "bottled" water in Mexico! We purchased some, thinking it was from the US (brand name and sealed). We all ended up with Monty's revenge for two days after we got home. Talk about a great way to lose all the weight gained!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Thanks!

I too drink a huge amount of water. When I took my first cruise last year I was worried about the water on board as well. I found it to be of excellent quality, better than city tap water.

I also drink a lot of water and the only time I had a problem with the taste was on the Fantasy. I just couldn't drink it and had to pay for the bottled water on the ship. I had no problem with the water on the Conquest, Triumph, Elation or Glory.

The water on the Imagination (5/31/13 sailing) was disgusting! I couldn't drink it at all!

I have never had a problem drinking the ship's water - to me it's all tasted fine... Not this time!

I usually take bottled water with me, as its what I drink at home. And I would drink the ship's water at dinner.

On the Imagination I had to ask for lemonade at dinner and also brought my bottled water with me.

Personally, after 4 years on cruise ships, and being trained by the USPH in their sanitation requirements, I use a napkin wrapped around the fresh glass to depress the dispensing bar.

Good Tip!

Unfortunately, not all ships enforce the rule of not using your own bottles or cups. Even though I follow the rule to never put my own to fill my water needs, if others don't, it defeats the purpose.

Archived