Help ! (Please) New Celebrity Cruisers

ticktoneer

We're thinking of booking the Spain/Portugal 12 night transatlantic in May 2014 on Equinox.

We will be able to reciprocate RCL diamond benefits to have Elite status on Celebrity which is great.

At the moment RCL have a promotion where they are giving $200 OBC to new bookings. Do Celebrity do any promotions like this? We don't know whether to wait to book or book now. Any suggestions?

Also, can you tell me how the drinks hours work in the lounge on an evening please? What time, what sort of drinks etc.

Lastly (phew - lol) we are aged 41 & 52 and enjoy a chilled relaxing cruise. What sort of ship is Equinox. Will it suit us?

Any thoughts, opinions or any other info REALLY WELCOME.

Thanks !!

The Transatlantic cruises attract large numbers of Elites, so the cocktail party is replaced by a voucher system. Here is what is currently known about the Vouchers, so you will know what to expect:

With so many questions about the Vouchers, maybe it's time for an FAQ section

Here is what is known so far, as of April 2013

When are vouchers used?

Currently, drink vouchers are issued when the number of Elites is larger than some threshhold number. This varies by ships, due to the size of the Sky Lounge. As of April 2013, this has occurred on most Transatlantics and some 14 night Caribbean cruises. Predictions that they will be issued on all cruises are just that, predictions.

Vouchers are also sometimes used when there aren't too many Elite members on board, but the cruise itinerary brings a special opportunity to view some important site, such as during the Panama Canal transit, or while cruising past Antarctica.

How many drink vouchers do I get?

3 vouchers per person, per day

Can I use 2 vouchers on one night and 4 on the next?

They have a date printed on them, so no, you can't use two on one night and four the next

What drinks can I order?

They are valid for the same drinks that would have been available in Michael's or the Sky Lounge Elite events.

These drinks are:

Kir Royal, Mimosa, Vodka or Gin Martini, Apple Martini, Cosmopolitan, Manhatten, Screwdriver, Cuba Libre, Celebrity Vintages Sparkling Wine, Chardonney, Bordeax, Skyy Vodka, Beefeater Gin, Bacardi Rum, Jim Beam Bourbon, Dewar's White Label Scotch, Courvoisier VS Cognac, Heineken, Bud Light, O'Doul's, Sodas and Juices

What time can I use them?

Generally, from 5-7 p.m. A few passengers have reported that on their cruise, the vouchers could be used from 4:45 p.m to 7 p.m.

Where can I use the drink vouchers?

Currently, the Sky Lounge is still being used for the Elite event, and vouchers can be used there. In addition, many bars on the ship will also honor the vouchers.

There are certain bars where the vouchers are not valid, nor can they be used in the restaurants, for room service, or the in-stateroom mini-bar. All of this is spelled out in the Elite instructions you receive on the first day.

How will I receive the vouchers?

They will be delivered in the evening to your stateroom, to be used the next day.

Will there be vouchers for every day of the cruise?

No vouchers on embarkation day, and perhaps one other day during the cruise if there is an Elite Captain's Club party that night.

Can I share the vouchers with non-Elite members?

The instructions state that the coupons are non-transferable.

I would like to order something other than the published drink menu. Can I use my voucher for this?[/color]

No, the drink menu that is normally available at the Elite event when held in Michael's Club or the Sky Lounge is the only drink menu for which you can use vouchers. Other drinks will incur a charge to your SeaPass account. Some passengers have reported success in ordering drinks not on the Elite menu, but this should not be seen as predictive of your success should you ask for something beyond the posted drink menu.

Is bottled water included in the voucher program?

No, it is not one of the choices.

Can I order a bottle of beer and ask that it not be opened?

Several cruisers have reported that this has been allowed.

Can I order a glass of wine using the voucher, and carry that glass to the MDR or to my stateroom?

Several passengers have reported that this is allowed.

I don't like to change from my shorts to go to the Elite cocktail hour. Does this mean that I can stay in casual clothes and still enjoy the Elite cocktails?

Yes. Currently, if you go to the Sky Lounge to use the vouchers, the dress code applies. But you can use your vouchers at other bars where there is no dress code

Can I go to a bar at 6:55 and use two vouchers for two drinks?

Passengers have reported that this is allowed. A few passengers have also reported that bartenders have honored the vouchers shortly after 7 p.m. but this should not be construed as a guarantee that the same would be your experience.

[quote name='ticktoneer']
At the moment RCL have a promotion where they are giving $200 OBC to new bookings. Do Celebrity do any promotions like this? We don't know whether to wait to book or book now. Any suggestions?

Lastly (phew - lol) we are aged 41 & 52 and enjoy a chilled relaxing cruise. What sort of ship is Equinox. Will it suit us?

Any thoughts, opinions or any other info REALLY WELCOME.

Thanks !![/QUOTE]

Just as with RCL, there are constant promotions, and they change frequently. Right not, the biggest promo is called "Pick your Perk" but is only good until April. However, the cruise you are looking at is for the next season I believe, and may be part of the "World Tour" and qualify for the early booking Captain's Club Discount being offered this year. You'll need to contact the Captain's Club to make sure your number and status are transferred over, then see about booking. The discount is good as long as you book by June 30. After June 30, they might start adding promotions based on sales.

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="3"]This was our voucher experience on the Infinity TA.

Huge crowds the first two nights in Rendez Vous lounge. Settled down after that--one assumes that folks spread out. The first couple of nights they would give you a can of soda. After that, they wouldn't. The Infinity was very inconsistent on a lot of things, so perhaps you may have a different experience on a different ship.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='ticktoneer']We're thinking of booking the Spain/Portugal 12 night transatlantic in May 2014 on Equinox.

We will be able to reciprocate RCL diamond benefits to have Elite status on Celebrity which is great.

[/quote]

At the moment, until 30th June, there is a Captain's Club early booking offer on for the 2014/15 season cruises. With your status, you should be able to register as a Captain's Club member and be eligible for the offer BUT I have yet to be able to work out if the Captain's Club offer is available in the UK. The offer is for a discount and I have only seen this quoted in US$ so I suspect that it did NOT apply in the UK but I may be wrong.

Sue

Archived