Decisions! Amsterdam or Volendam to Alaska in August

I can't believe we are doing this again so soon but we enjoyed our first trip to Alaska and the inside passage so much, we thought we'd jump onto a ship after a Vancouver trip and relax again and pray for weather similar to a year ago.

All the HAL ships seem so similar and the itineraries almost identical from Vancouver for a week. Any feedback on what makes the Amsterdam or Volendam better than the other? We did the Zuiderdam last year and we've done the Westerdam from FLL before so I like doing different ones.

Any of those are hard to beat the Eurodam which we sailed from FLL in February because we found out why you all RAVE about the Tamarind ..wow that was terrific! I'll miss that but please give me your pros and cons, if any? And as we like the inside passage, I find it confusing from the small itinerary/maps as Amsterdam's says they go to sea the first day but it looks the same inside sea path to me??

Thanks for your input!

I can't compare the Amsterdam to any other ship, because so far she's the only one I've cruised on (I currently have 4 cruises booked: Amsterdam 2014 World Cruise, Celebrity Century Alaska 2014, NCL Spirit Grand Med 2014, and Zaandam SA & Antarctica 2015).

That said, I love the Amsterdam. She's a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew. My sister and I both loved our 2011 14-day Alaska cruise on her. As you can see from my upcoming cruises, I'll book elsewhere for the itinerary and timing, at least until I've tried the others and found them lacking. ;) But if the Amsterdam was available for where and when I wanted to go, I'd pick her every time.

Both are Rotterdam class. I've only sailed on Volendam and we loved her. I think we bond with ships for not always rational reasons, but then that's what love is, right?

One thing to keep in mind is that crews do change. People are on their break, they retire, Captains move from ship to ship and I'm one of those people that believe that the Captain as well as the Dining and Hotel managers have a lot to do with the quality of a ship. After the Veendam failed its inspection last August, a new captain was brought in. From what I can gather the two captains rotating on the Veedam now are two of their very best.

The Amsterdam and Volendam are virtually identical in terms of deck plan. The Volendam is the same itinerary as the Zuiderdam you said you took.

The biggest decision here is which itinerary you want to take. Amsterdam is out of Seattle whereas the Volendam is a Vancouver departure. That's really the basic difference.

Personally, I like them both and would have a hard time deciding. As a matter of fact, I couldn't decide. So I booked both for next year! :D I will sail for one week on the Volendam, head on down to Seattle, and in a few days board the Amsterdam for 2 weeks.

The Amsterdam and Volendam are virtually identical in terms of deck plan. The Volendam is the same itinerary as the Zuiderdam you said you took.

The biggest decision here is which itinerary you want to take. Amsterdam is out of Seattle whereas the Volendam is a Vancouver departure. That's really the basic difference.

Personally, I like them both and would have a hard time deciding. As a matter of fact, I couldn't decide. So I booked both for next year! :D I will sail for one week on the Volendam, head on down to Seattle, and in a few days board the Amsterdam for 2 weeks.

If OP is talking about 2013, the Amsterdam sails round trip Vancouver and departs on a Friday.:)

I think this is correct.....

In August....the Amsterdam goes to Glacier Bay on some of their 7 day trips.........and goes to Tracy Arm on the other weeks......not both on the same cruise.........

The Amsterdam is cruising thru the Inside Passage on both of the trips...but if it's doing the Glacier Bay "week".....it skirts out into the open sea area before going into Glacier Bay.....could be a little rock and roll........

The Volendam goes to and leaves Glacier Bay thru the island channels.......departs Vancouver on Wednesday's.........we just took this cruise and it was great........!!

Archived