Babies in diapers in the pool

eddmel

General manager of ship tracked us down at dinner last night! Came to apologize and promised to take care of matter. Agreed with us situation unacceptable. We are in Israel next three days. Hope this is taken care of properly!

Otherwise, having great time!

The OP was disconcerting and I hoped it was a one off. However, a repeat performance is beyond unacceptable. A serious health hazard. The message has clearly not gotten out. My first O cruise is coming up and I am not pleased to read about this. Lapses in service, an off meal here and there, or a little wear on the ship is no big deal. Lack of attention to such a clear health hazard means at least some O staff are not getting proper training from higher up. This should be addressed by O fleet wide as it is unlikely that only Riviera missed the memo.

I responded in part so that this issue stays on the radar until someone at O takes it seriously.

The OP was disconcerting and I hoped it was a one off. However, a repeat performance is beyond unacceptable. A serious health hazard. The message has clearly not gotten out. My first O cruise is coming up and I am not pleased to read about this. Lapses in service, an off meal here and there, or a little wear on the ship is no big deal. Lack of attention to such a clear health hazard means at least some O staff are not getting proper training from higher up. This should be addressed by O fleet wide as it is unlikely that only Riviera missed the memo.

I responded in part so that this issue stays on the radar until someone at O takes it seriously.

See post #51 by ggglo (just above yours).

It appears that it has been taken care of - you can relax now and enjoy your cruise. :)

I did read the above post, but because it happened at least twice in a short span of time it is indicative of poolside staff not having the correct training on the matter. Doing my part to indicate to O at the admin (not shipboard) level that the OP and subsequent poster have gotten my attention as a revenue generating passenger. For what it is worth. One revenue generating passenger is not usually enough to make a difference, but by supporting the above posters there is potentially a beneficial cumulative effect. Perhaps next time a manager will not have to track down a passenger to apologize later (which is a good thing and a net positive) because this will not occur anymore in the first place.

I have never seen children in swim diapers on any cruise I have taken so it is not a trivial matter. To be clear, not the end of the world either.

I am not at all worried about my upcoming cruise. I can have a good time in almost any situation and would simply stay out of the pool if this occurred. But that doesn't make it OK.

I did read the above post, but because it happened at least twice in a short span of time it is indicative of poolside staff not having the correct training on the matter. Doing my part to indicate to O at the admin (not shipboard) level that the OP and subsequent poster have gotten my attention as a revenue generating passenger. For what it is worth. One revenue generating passenger is not usually enough to make a difference, but by supporting the above posters there is potentially a beneficial cumulative effect. Perhaps next time a manager will not have to track down a passenger to apologize later (which is a good thing and a net positive) because this will not occur anymore in the first place.

I have never seen children in swim diapers on any cruise I have taken so it is not a trivial matter. To be clear, not the end of the world either.

I am not at all worried about my upcoming cruise. I can have a good time in almost any situation and would simply stay out of the pool if this occurred. But that doesn't make it OK.

Understood and agreed :)

Well, Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps had now admitted he pees in the pool all the time in competition and so do his fellow swimmers so guess they can't sail on Oceania.

As one wag said: "I don't mind people peeing in the pool, just not from the diving board!":D

Well, Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps had now admitted he pees in the pool all the time in competition and so do his fellow swimmers so guess they can't sail on Oceania.

As one wag said: "I don't mind people peeing in the pool, just not from the diving board!":D

The issue from a sanitary point of view isn't pee. Urine is sterile (no, I don't pee in a pool, just clarifying). It's the other stuff that causes the problems, and the concern.

The issue from a sanitary point of view isn't pee. Urine is sterile (no, I don't pee in a pool, just clarifying). It's the other stuff that causes the problems, and the concern.

Sterile or not, I don't think I want it in my mouth :D

I know that it does get diluted enough (and chlorinated) not to be harmful, but still.....

Sterile or not, I don't think I want it in my mouth :D

I know that it does get diluted enough (and chlorinated) not to be harmful, but still.....

Undiluted and unchlorinated, pee isn't harmful. I admit there is a strong ick factor, but people can and have drunk urine to survive. Fecal matter takes lots of chlorination (or irradiation, but that's another discussion) to neutralize. Pools require a high dose ('shocking' the pool) of chemicals after a fecal accident.

We are quite confused at this thread. Coming from two guests sitting by the pool on the Riviera everyday (Relaxing Vacation) we have never seen any diapers in the pool or hot tub. Yes, we have witnessed a few children all with with normal swimming attire and most from the age of 7 upwards. The only thing these junior cruises are guilty of is making more noise than we prefer.

Hence why we are adding our opinion on this rather bizarre post which is causing more uproar than needed.

This is our first Oceania experience (SS loyalists) and everything is excellent.

We came off Cc two years ago due to people spreading rubbish on here about SS as an attack on the cruise line.

We re-signed up when we booked our cruise with Oceania to find out more about the product.

We are here live onboard and we can see first hand who and what is in the pool and currently there is a small boy age 5 with correct attire.

There has been no diapers today or anyday.

I hope whatever discrepancy the passengers who started this thread have against the Riviera and it's crew get it sorted soon and start enjoying this wonderful trip.

We do not make up stories. The first three days of this cruise an entire family was using the spa as a "kiddie pool" including one of their children in diapers. It has now been personally addressed by the general manager of ship, so this is not a product of our imagination.

Also, we have been on the ship since July 25th and this is our first negative comment since we boarded!

Dear Eddmel & Ggglo - I believed you both and thought the poster doubting you was out of line. It would have been more appropriate for the poster to have simply limited the comments to what they witnessed (without attacking your credibility ) as that would have been a useful observation as well. Calling your observations rubbish did not elevate the discussion and called into question the objectivity of the observer. Moreover, just because the poster did not see it, does not mean it did not happen. I did not get the impression that you or the OP had an ax to grind with Oceania as you did not use inflammatory words like "rubbish," but merely reported what you saw and your concerns. You were right to post your observations and I thought they were useful.

We should all be able to respect each other's points of view.

Followup so that I am precise. Poster did not call Ggglo post "rubbish" directly, but insinuated such through the comment about posters with regard to SS and then calling into question the credibility or motive of theGgglo post. Just wanted to add that before being flamed by the literalists.

Dear Eddmel & Ggglo - I believed you both and thought the poster doubting you was out of line. It would have been more appropriate for the poster to have simply limited the comments to what they witnessed (without attacking your credibility ) as that would have been a useful observation as well. Calling your observations rubbish did not elevate the discussion and called into question the objectivity of the observer. Moreover, just because the poster did not see it, does not mean it did not happen. I did not get the impression that you or the OP had an ax to grind with Oceania as you did not use inflammatory words like "rubbish," but merely reported what you saw and your concerns. You were right to post your observations and I thought they were useful.

We should all be able to respect each other's points of view.

Well said and I agree.

I had similar thoughts.

DH and I spend our cruise around the pool. Yes there are children in the pool but no diapers. There is a large family with children that use the pool and have every right to do so, but they are in correct swimming attire at all times. We have been by the pool when they have been there since day one of the cruise. They splash and make noise like any junior cruises do, but they DO NOT wear diapers.

True we were maybe a bit harsh in our post stating that the poster had a discrepancy, and for that we appologize however how could we miss something that has been in front of our eyes everyday? (We are oldies but proudly alert)

We would be the first to complain, not on CC but directly to the staff if we saw this but we have not and neither have many other passengers who join us in relaxing by the pool.

In fact we are more insulted at some of the rude guests onboard who have clearly misplaced their manners. I wonder if the GM or ships staff have a solution to that. :D

Archived