Babies in diapers in the pool

eddmel

Did you mention this to the staff? If so they should have had a word with the parent(s) who may not realise this is a big "no no" on any cruise line - despite the fact there are signs in english forbidding this.

When a similar situation was reported a few years ago, I was told they were paying customers too. No one in management wanted to ruffle feathers, not even the President of the company who was onboard at the time.

There are plastic pants that they can put over diapers that I believe would probably be sanctioned--special ones specifically for pools. (Not sure of this, it's been a long time, lol!)

The hot tub--absolutely not. Bad for the babies, first of all. I hate it when I see small children lolling around in hot tubs, let alone babies.

How common is it to find babies / toddlers on Oceania?

Not common at all but it does happen

I think in our 8 cruise we have seen maybe a dozen children from 1 to 15yrs

some teens but they are basically adults & well behaved ..at least the ones I saw

Holiday cruise seem to get more but not as much as the main stream lines

If management refuses to do anything about I would email Frank Del Rio and inform him that I was about to alert The health authorities and encourage them to lower Oceania's (or any other cruise line's) health scores. Seeing a baby in diapers in the pool would keep me out for the rest of the cruise.

Time for Oceania to add language to their web site similar to what other cruise lines already have.

Carnival:

Use of the pools : Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools.

NCL:

According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or jacuzzis, including those marketed as "swimmers."

RCI:

Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas SM and Allure of the Seas SM.

From the "Vessel Sanitation Program - 2011 Operations Manual" published by the USPH, CDC, and other US gov depts, available at http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/opsmanual2011.pdf

6.8 Restrictions

6.8.1 Diapers (10)

Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained must be prohibited from using any RWF [recreational water facility] that is not specifically designed and APPROVED for use by children in diapers.

Specifications and requirements for BABY-ONLY WATER FACILITIES can be found in Annex 13.7.

The Acknowledgments page lists several major cruise lines that helped with the latest revision, including Prestige Cruise Holdings.

We have been on a few cruises (NOT Oceania) where the pools had to be emptied & sanitized due to "ACCIDENTS"

It is hard for little people to understand why they cannot wade in the water on a ship

No baby, toddler, or small child should ever be in a jacuzzi or hot tub. It is not just a sanitation issue. It is dangerous for the child.

And non toilet trained children should not be allowed in the pool, whether wearing swim diapers or not. The so called swim diapers are not impermeable.

Does that do anything to make you believe you're not in a salt water pool,? I find them a bit unnerving, as it's a pool and shouldn't taste salty.

I never saw any tots in diapers anywhere near a pool on O. I also never saw a sign saying no children in diapers but that could be my oversight.

On the hand, we love the salt water pools.

If management refuses to do anything about I would email Frank Del Rio and inform him that I was about to alert The health authorities and encourage them to lower Oceania's (or any other cruise line's) health scores. Seeing a baby in diapers in the pool would keep me out for the rest of the cruise.

+1. Unacceptable behavior and equally unacceptable for staff to do nothing about it.

We have been on a few cruises (NOT Oceania) where the pools had to be emptied & sanitized due to "ACCIDENTS"

It is hard for little people to understand why they cannot wade in the water on a ship

The little people do not need to understand anything -- their parents do.

From the "Vessel Sanitation Program - 2011 Operations Manual" published by the USPH, CDC, and other US gov depts, available at http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/opsmanual2011.pdf

6.8 Restrictions

6.8.1 Diapers (10)

Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained must be prohibited from using any RWF [recreational water facility] that is not specifically designed and APPROVED for use by children in diapers.

Specifications and requirements for BABY-ONLY WATER FACILITIES can be found in Annex 13.7.

The Acknowledgments page lists several major cruise lines that helped with the latest revision, including Prestige Cruise Holdings.

For a CDC podcast regarding this matter, go to the following link:

http://www2c.cdc.gov/podcasts/player.asp?f=315241

In the podcast, the CDC mentions by name a number of huge cruise ships that cater to the family market which have multiple pools, including specially-engineered pools set aside for children in diapers, with additional filtration, etc., pools intended just for that purpose.

"These pools have been reviewed by the V-S-P and are approved for use by children in diapers or who are not yet toilet trained. The ships include Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, and Oasis of the Seas."

Other than that, NO! Swim diapers are NOT OK! At best, when those diapers are changed regularly, they may keep solid fecal matter from escaping, but diarrhea and urine flow out of the diapers and into pools and jacuzzis and they are not permitted, per the CDC and Vessel Sanitation Program.

Jacuzzis, hot tubs, etc. are never set up for this and those in diapers or those who are not toilet-trained should never use any other pool or hot tub on any ship.

I think it is best to report the incident to the CDC as soon as a person notices such an incident, unless the crew drains, cleans and refills the pool or jacuzzi involved (ASAP so other continent passengers can use it as they expected when they paid for their cruise) and keep everyone out of the pool who is either diapered (including swim-diapered) or obviously not toilet-trained. Frankly, if one doesn't report these things immediately onboard and off, then they are more likely to re-occur.

We are on the Riviera right now.

Earlier today we observed 2 babies and a toddler all in diapers in the pool and jacuzzi.

On other cruise lines this is not allowed in the adult pool.

So, did you report it to staff?

If so, what action was taken.

Archived